• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

It is kind of sad that a family name is not allowed particularly when its (mis)connotation is all people recognize it for rather than recognizing that the name of the cheese was derived from its maker. But I also know that people often change their names because of what words' connotations become.
It is ridiculous, yes.
The word has other meanings other than the derogatory one - it's an abbreviation for 'raccoon' too.

Apparently Iran has been considering constructing a 560 meter tall skyscraper in Tehran that appears to resemble an interdimensional obelisk https://t.co/rqvWxEf9lV

This tower is meant to be... A waterpark on the surface, a very tall waterpark, but with a massive cryptocurrency mining operation built into it https://t.co/msNFV45egR

The tower was designed in 2019 as a means to circumvent American sanctions should the JCPOA fall by mining cryptocurrency.

The waterpark itself with serve as coolant while also adding very unusual sight right in the middle of the Iranian capital. https://t.co/ZBywl2d8NJ

Coon cheese to be 'retired' after 21-year fight to change its name

... The company gets its name from its Canadian founder Edward William Coon (was he related to Star Trek writer Gene L Coon, I wonder?)
It is kind of sad that a family name is not allowed particularly when its (mis)connotation is all people recognize it for rather than recognizing that the name of the cheese was derived from its maker. ...
The Kraft Cracker Barrel cheese brand in the U.S. used to call its sharpest cheddar "Coon Cheese" - probably because of some relationship with the brand - and had a picture of a raccoon on the wrapper. While I was aware of the racist use of the word, as a child I always thought coon was first and foremost short for raccoon, and other meanings were derivative. Then again I never thought that Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben were anything other than fictional people who put a face on the product, like Betty Crocker.

This fear of words, even when those words have other absolutely neutral unoffensive meanings, troubles me. Soon you won't be able to call a female dog a bitch, an opening in a barrel a bunghole, or a member of the Paridae family of birds a tit.

By the way, Gene L. Coon had an African American secretary who was in the habit of jokingly introducing herself as "Gene L's Coon". It amazes me that 50+ years later we can't just laugh at racial epithets for the stupid labels that they are, and worry more about how we actually treat our fellow human beings.

I didn't realise the slur actually comes from 'raccoon' until I just Googled it.

There are two graves in Rottingdean church yard that have just been covered because they include the word in the epitaphs. I think they are going to be removed or permanently altered.

29488480-8409849-GH_Elliott_performed_on_stage_under_the_persona_of_Chocolate_Col-m-3_15918817...jpg

29493674-8409849-image-m-57_1591888046453.jpg

_112879459_stmargaret'schurchisananglicanchurchinrottingdean6-1.jpg

Full story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53065693

They ought to make a film out of this...

New Zealand
Beloved Eel McPherson disappears from New Zealand pond during massive storm

A shortfin eel named Eel McPherson, who was beloved by a New Zealand city for 35 years, has bid bon voyage to its backyard pool and disappeared during a once-in-500-years flood.
The eel was kept by a Whangārei man, George Campbell, for decades – first at a fish museum that he ran during the 1990s and later at his home – said Campbell’s granddaughter, Alyce Charlesworth.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rs-from-new-zealand-pond-during-massive-storm

Painting Eyes on The Butts of Cattle Can Protect Them From Lions ...

A multi-year field study in Botswana indicates ambush predators can be deterred by "eyes" painted on the back sides of their unsuspecting prey.

FULL STORY:
https://www.sciencealert.com/lions-...k-cattle-with-eyes-painted-on-their-backsides

Discussion of this story continues in this dedicated thread:

Deterring Ambush Predators With Rear-Facing Eyes, Faces, etc.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...dators-with-rear-facing-eyes-faces-etc.67559/

Last edited:
The Kraft Cracker Barrel cheese brand in the U.S. used to call its sharpest cheddar "Coon Cheese" - probably because of some relationship with the brand - and had a picture of a raccoon on the wrapper. While I was aware of the racist use of the word, as a child I always thought coon was first and foremost short for raccoon, and other meanings were derivative. Then again I never thought that Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben were anything other than fictional people who put a face on the product, like Betty Crocker.

This fear of words, even when those words have other absolutely neutral unoffensive meanings, troubles me. Soon you won't be able to call a female dog a bitch, an opening in a barrel a bunghole, or a member of the Paridae family of birds a tit.

By the way, Gene L. Coon had an African American secretary who was in the habit of jokingly introducing herself as "Gene L's Coon". It amazes me that 50+ years later we can't just laugh at racial epithets for the stupid labels that they are, and worry more about how we actually treat our fellow human beings.

Imagine if it was called "Nigger Cheese", it would have been changed in the 80s at the very latest. I appreciate that it's not called that and "nigger" is not a surname whilst "Coon" is, albeit an obscure one. I have a book of unusual British names from history, the author keeps to English language names and there were still people called Fucker, Fuck, Cunt, Cunter, Kunt etc Not many, but they did exist. How long do you think "Cunt Cheese" (bleeuurggh) would have lasted?

I agree that the preponderance of offence has to stop but there are limits, this is simply changing a brand name, which companies often do for their own reasons (or one reason: money). It's a matter of degree rather than absolutes. I was pretty shocked, though by no means "offended" that there was a household name brand in Oz with that name when I was there 20ish years ago.

French media have released new information on a puzzling murder conspiracy by three operations officers in France’s external intelligence agency, who planned to kill a middle-aged woman in Paris. As intelNews reported earlier this month, the three men work for the Directorate-General for External Security, known as DGSE. The service is France’s equivalent of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Like the CIA, the DGSE is not permitted to carry out operations inside France.

https://intelnews.org/2020/08/14/01-2852/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Meanwhile, their intended victim has not been named. She is reportedly a psychotherapist who specializes in hypnotherapy. She has allegedly told police investigating the case that her murder might have been planned by rival hypnotherapists. However, police are finding it difficult to believe that professional rivalries could have resulted in the hiring of highly trained DGSE operations officers to commit a murder.

... I have a book of unusual British names from history, the author keeps to English language names and there were still people called Fucker, Fuck, Cunt, Cunter, Kunt etc Not many, but they did exist. How long do you think "Cunt Cheese" (bleeuurggh) would have lasted?...

I once had a book recommended to me on Amazon that was written by a woman with the surname Fuckinger. Now that's a brand name with potential if ever I heard one! (I leave it to others here to provide examples.)

... However, police are finding it difficult to believe that professional rivalries could have resulted in the hiring of highly trained DGSE operations officers to commit a murder. ...

Of course it's difficult to believe. That's just what they want you to think.

Reactions: Jim
Coon cheese to be 'retired' after 21-year fight to change its name

Dare we ask what'll happen to the Maine Coon cat breed?

I once had a book recommended to me on Amazon that was written by a woman with the surname Fuckinger. Now that's a brand name with potential if ever I heard one! (I leave it to others here to provide examples.)

Of course it's difficult to believe. That's just what they want you to think.
A friend of a friend built his own Dalek and it made it in to the Daily Mirror with the headline “Look what this twat’s built”. His name was Raymond Twat, an Orkney name.

A friend of a friend built his own Dalek and it made it in to the Daily Mirror with the headline “Look what this twat’s built”. His name was Raymond Twat, an Orkney name.

Reminds me of Rik Mayall in the film Guest House Paradiso, whose character name is Richie Twat. He keeps correcting people's pronunciation, "It's Thwaite" until one time he gets it drastically wrong...

The bad Sy-Fy channel films are often easily spotted.
If the title is the themes of two other previously good films, put together with another 'horror' or 'mystery' type of word, then it's a likely candidate.
So let's go with "Alien Shark Experiment", or "Undersea Robot Killer".

So let's go with "Alien Shark Experiment", or "Undersea Robot Killer".

EXOSHARK. coming soon to a streaming service near you.
Hmm... for the other one... mechamaritime..? Deepsea Death Bot? .... "Metal Waters".... nah, nothing's coming to mind

Last edited:
Back