• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Phew! I feared that the Mods Himalayan Redoubt had been struck by Bubonic Plague.

We've had to shutter that facility now that the Indians and Chinese are swaggering and skirmishing above ground there. The fighting and heavy weaponry movements didn't affect us in our granite-enclosed nest. However, we had to give up once the food delivery guys were getting turned away by one or the other side.

When the pizzas can't get through, we're through ... :evillaugh:

We've had to shutter that facility now that the Indians and Chinese are swaggering and skirmishing above ground there. The fighting and heavy weaponry movements didn't affect us in our granite-enclosed nest. However, we had to give up once the food delivery guys were getting turned away by one or the other side.

When the pizzas can't get through, we're through ... :evillaugh:
Speak for yourself, hate pizza! Mine was the kebab!

Have just noticed there is no "edit" on sent in posting's?

I just tried posting on the Chat>Advertising/Business Mottos & Slogans thread again to see if the blockage has cleared since the previous non-action. Still not working - there was some whirring from the disc in my computer but no upload. Odd that it's the only thread I've ever had trouble with..

I was only posting 'test' so no matter..

I just tried posting on the Chat>Advertising/Business Mottos & Slogans thread again to see if the blockage has cleared since the previous non-action. Still not working - there was some whirring from the disc in my computer but no upload. Odd that it's the only thread I've ever had trouble with..

I'm still unable to replicate the problem.

Have you ever attempted to enter a post on that thread without clicking on the "Reply" link in Yith's post (to which you'd said you were replying)? If not - try that and report back whether it worked or not.

I'm still unable to replicate the problem.

Have you ever attempted to enter a post on that thread without clicking on the "Reply" link in Yith's post (to which you'd said you were replying)? If not - try that and report back whether it worked or not.

Yes - that's what I did yesterday to see whether it worked - I just posted 'test'. Nowt happened.

We have the ability to ban a member from replying to a particular thread, but you've never been reply-banned in that thread or any other thread.

I do notice that your recorded IP address shifts quite a bit - sometimes within a matter of only a few minutes. This makes me wonder if these incidents are caused by a mismatch in IP address (location of last login versus location of post submission), which could conceivably result in a submission being blocked or denied.

Is there any commonality (e.g., wifi use at a public place) among the places or scenarios in which you've tried and failed to post to that thread?

We have the ability to ban a member from replying to a particular thread, but you've never been reply-banned in that thread or any other thread.

I do notice that your recorded IP address shifts quite a bit - sometimes within a matter of only a few minutes. This makes me wonder if these incidents are caused by a mismatch in IP address (location of last login versus location of post submission), which could conceivably result in a submission being blocked or denied.

Is there any commonality (e.g., wifi use at a public place) among the places or scenarios in which you've tried and failed to post to that thread?

That is most weird. I only ever post from home on the same computer. I am on wifi from the router..

What could cause my IP address to shift, do you think?

I'm not really bothered about lack of ability to post on that thread but it's got me puzzled.

That is most weird. I only ever post from home on the same computer. I am on wifi from the router..
What could cause my IP address to shift, do you think?
I'm not really bothered about lack of ability to post on that thread but it's got me puzzled.

There are multiple intermediate connections between your computer and the forum server. Under conditions of extreme demand one or more of the intermediate servers may be re-negotiating connections to balance or manage load. It appears reasonably stable from the user's point of view, but he / she may be getting re-routed at one or more junctures along the connection path.

The most obvious example occurs when someone is using a mobile device and is moving around. What appears at the user end to be a single session may actually represent multiple connections / re-connections at the other end.

I'm not claiming this has to be the source of your problem with that one thread. I just happened to notice that when your most recent posting attempt failed your IP address shifted twice within the space of a few minutes. A mismatch at the connection level might explain why the forum server rejected or ignored a post input. It doesn't explain why such a shut-out occurs only with one particular thread (unless one believes in quite extraordinary coincidences).

I don't see the "edit" button on my recent posts. But I see it on this post.
Is the option time limited?

Hi. I just want to let you know of this problem:

Last evening about 10pm EST I was not able to access the forum due to my "IP address (being) banned". I couldn't contact the forum because of this. I sent an email help request to CFI in the hopes that someone would be able to forward my email to a moderator.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem. Today I am on, but not from home. I don't yet know if I can get on from home. Hopefully, it's ok.

Last evening about 10pm EST I was not able to access the forum due to my "IP address (being) banned". I couldn't contact the forum because of this. I sent an email help request to CFI in the hopes that someone would be able to forward my email to a moderator.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem. Today I am on, but not from home. I don't yet know if I can get on from home. Hopefully, it's ok.
We’re looking into it for you. May have some follow up questions, will also send via the CFI email as necessary.

I'm guessing, but perhaps a block of IP addresses from your Internet Service Provider may have been banned automatically - because one of those IP addresses did something naughty.

I wasn't suggesting it was. Because of the actions of one user, a whole load of other (innocent) IP addresses can get banned. Collateral damage.

Brownmane has provided us with the key missing clue we'd come to focus upon after ruling out a number of other things, and her access problems should be resolved now.

Kudos and many thanks to Enola for working diligently the last few days with my problem. I can now access the forum from home.

Sorry to say this but I think thread titles could be truncated and retain some of the originality and style of the original poster. This place is coming across as too dry and added to that, the new thread titles are cut short on other media like phones and IPads. Short, snappy and witty please In future. We’re not all dusty librarians you know.

Odd question here, more out of curiosity than anything else.... I use Microsoft OneNote frequently for personal notes. Just a little bit ago, I highlighted some text from there, ctrl + C, then ctrl + V into a post I was making here. The forum seemed to think I was trying to paste an image and treated it accordingly.

I deleted it and just typed it up manually, but I was wondering if anyone knew why that was. I can paste that same text into anything else and it treats it just like ordinary text.

Not a big deal at all, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Given your example there are multiple junctures at which the content of a copy / paste attempt could fail to be recognized by the receiving app:

- What your operating system "interprets" as the glob of data you selected and copied within OneNote;
- What your browser interprets as the OS's interpretation of the data glob being fed into an online transaction; and
- What the forum's (XenForo) resident editing routines interpret as the browser's interpretation of the glob being pasted into a forum editing pane.

I've seen the same effect in trying to copy and paste content from (e.g.) webpages, PDF files, and files open in any of a number of apps.

OneNote uses a proprietary file format involving a lot of OneNote-specific embedded formatting code. My guess is that your browser and / or XenForo were trying to transfer a data glob that only OneNote might find sensible.

It's common for apps and online services to presume that an arbitrary / unrecognizable glob of digital data must be a single chunk that is most likely a unary object like an image or "clipping", and default to treating it as such.

As long as you're operating in a purely Microsoft environment (OS; apps) such transfers among apps are transparent within that proprietary milieu. This transparency fails when you reach out to export something into an app or service external to this proprietary milieu.

Odd question here, more out of curiosity than anything else.... I use Microsoft OneNote frequently for personal notes. Just a little bit ago, I highlighted some text from there, ctrl + C, then ctrl + V into a post I was making here. The forum seemed to think I was trying to paste an image and treated it accordingly.

I deleted it and just typed it up manually, but I was wondering if anyone knew why that was. I can paste that same text into anything else and it treats it just like ordinary text.

Not a big deal at all, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.
I just tried it with OneNote and it did the same for me.
I'm just guessing, but OneNote may be storing the text as XML, surrounding the text with all kinds of tags.
The Windows clipboard is converting it to a bitmap for some reason, possibly because the message board software can't interpret the XML (so instead, the clipboard passes over a bitmapped version).

Given your example there are multiple junctures at which the content of a copy / paste attempt could fail to be recognized by the receiving app:

- What your operating system "interprets" as the glob of data you selected and copied within OneNote;
- What your browser interprets as the OS's interpretation of the data glob being fed into an online transaction; and
- What the forum's (XenForo) resident editing routines interpret as the browser's interpretation of the glob being pasted into a forum editing pane.

I've seen the same effect in trying to copy and paste content from (e.g.) webpages, PDF files, and files open in any of a number of apps.

OneNote uses a proprietary file format involving a lot of OneNote-specific embedded formatting code. My guess is that your browser and / or XenForo were trying to transfer a data glob that only OneNote might find sensible.

It's common for apps and online services to presume that an arbitrary / unrecognizable glob of digital data must be a single chunk that is most likely a unary object like an image or "clipping", and default to treating it as such.

As long as you're operating in a purely Microsoft environment (OS; apps) such transfers among apps are transparent within that proprietary milieu. This transparency fails when you reach out to export something into an app or service external to this proprietary milieu.

Enola, Mytho, thanks both for that. I figured it was something regarding tags around the text. Apparently Facebook, for example, just ignores those. Good to know!

My thirst for knowledge has been slaked. :)

Today I Learned....

Today I learned that when you highlight a select part of a post, then click the quote button on the bottom right, it automatically only copies the highlighted text as a quote.

Here, like a caveman, I've been quoting whole messages, then deleting everything unnecessary. I feel a bit silly right now.

Although this is an HTTPS website, I notice that many pages say 'not secure'.
It's probably not a problem, but I thought I should point it out.

Back