• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Toilet Talk

It is called 'manual evacuation' and @Swifty and I know ALL about it. Sadly.
Yes. We do. Then the gloves on and the bowl of hot soapy water so you can wash your patient's fingers. Patient's can get constipated and in pain so they try to shift the blockage themselves which is understandable. I used to ask them what they were eating and advise them before the next meal round, things like "Don't ask for anymore egg and cress sandwiches at the moment, have one of these instead."..

One of my tasks at work used to be emptying the bags.

My stomach is strong but that job tested me. Dunno why proper disposable bags weren't used. Not hygienic or dignified.

As a newly minted member of the ileostomy club (these past 5 months), I was rather expecting to have this reaction, but it was surprisingly easy to adapt.

But then, I'm dealing with my own, ah, 'business', not someone elses...

If you ignore your intestinal blockage long enough you may "pop" your innards and find yourself full of shit ...
Man's blocked bowel 'explodes' after he ate a big bowl of dumplings before doctors save him in emergency surgery

A Chinese man with a long-term intestinal illness has nearly died after his blocked bowel burst following a hearty dinner.

The 63-year-old patient, known as Mr Wang, said he heard a bang coming from inside his body before realising something 'had exploded'.

He told local reporters that he felt sharp abdominal pain and uncontrollable sweats afterwards. He was rushed to hospital by his family members. ...

Mr Wang had allegedly suffered from bowel obstruction for more than a year prior to the event.

He said he had eaten a big bowl of wontons - a type of soup dumplings popular in eastern China - at around 6pm that day before hearing the unexpected sound. ...

During a medical checkup, doctors from the Huai'an Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital discovered that the man's abdominal cavity had been filled with faeces. ...

Sun Jian, a supervising doctor, told reporters that medics had to suck out nearly 3,000 millilitres of waste and liquid from Mr Wang. Afterwards, they cleaned his abdominal cavity with 23,000 millilitres of water.

Medics found a 1.2-inch-wide hole in the middle of Mr Wang's transverse colon, added Dr Sun.

Mr Wang's condition has stabilised following the emergency operation, according to the report.

FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-bowel-explodes-ate-big-bowl-dumplings.html

Uair01 - Elton John wrote the moving and poignant New York Mining Disaster song. He could have lightened the mood with a sequel. The Erfurt Latrine Disaster.

Last edited:
Thanks @escargot , the nurses on the stoma team at my local hospital had a lot to do with that, so I can't take all the credit! And needs must, given the alternative!

Yup, I’ve looked after lots of stoma patients and they’re all apprehensive first and then they get used to it and are relieved that their pain has gone. The care they have to give the stoma seems a small price to pay. Can’t be easy even so, and I’m full of admiration.

Here is the Nantwich museum's information about historical toilet provision.

Nantwich is in Cheshire, northwestern England, a town with many fine old buildings. There were cholera outbreaks there in the 1830s and '40s so public health was at last being taken seriously.

The smallest room in Nantwich?

At Wych House Bank, on the borders of the river, there were 20 deaths from cholera within a short period upon this small spot of ground. The late Mr. John Baker was lessee of some of the cottages, and fell a victim. In one of his houses five persons died. There are five tenements without privies.

The ordure is put into tubs, and some of the people have to carry it through their houses once a week or fortnight. Ann Birtles occupies one of the houses, and says:-
“My husband died of cholera, and I was ill. I carry the tub through the house weekly, and make a hole in the yard, and cover it up.”

Lovely.

I was brought up not far away in an industrial town where, after the first wave of gold rush-type slum-building, decent housing was built for the workers with individual outside privies and piped-in water; no communal toilets or street pumps.

My maternal grandmother, who'd be 112 years old now, was raised in a semi-rural Nantwich area where there were a couple of toilets and one pump for eighteen houses.
She'd have LOVED to tell the museum about all that!

Thanks @escargot , the nurses on the stoma team at my local hospital had a lot to do with that, so I can't take all the credit! And needs must, given the alternative!

Made some Steampunk hats a couple of years ago, using bits and pieces, and came across a pack of colostomy bags at a car boot sale. They made excellent portholes.

hat unpainted.jpg
hat 2.jpg

A hat fit for HG Wells or Jules Verne! (Because they were into steampunk, not because... erm...)

A hat fit for HG Wells or Jules Verne! (Because they were into steampunk, not because... erm...)

Thank you SO much! I've sort of invented a Steampunk sub-genre called, er, I dunno, SubPunk. It's all about Victorian submarine images.
I loved 20,000 Leagues as a child and would draw fanciful submarines with fins and rivets.

Thank you SO much! I've sort of invented a Steampunk sub-genre called, er, I dunno, SubPunk. It's all about Victorian submarine images.
I loved 20,000 Leagues as a child and would draw fanciful submarines with fins and rivets.

Yes, I read that too as a kid and really enjoyed it, the film was a lovely bit of design too.

Yes, I read that too as a kid and really enjoyed it, the film was a lovely bit of design too.

The 1954 fillum? I'd have watched that 20,000 times!
'Stingray' owed a lot to it, I thought.

The 1954 fillum? I'd have watched that 20,000 times!
'Stingray' owed a lot to it, I thought.

That's the one, yes, the Disney version. Such craftsmanship. Never thought about the Stingray connection before!

See-through public toilets in Japan -
(Guardian link)

Loo with a view: transparent public toilets installed in Tokyo parks

Amenities designed so prospective users can inspect their cleanliness from the outside
It sounds like the worst kind of anxiety dream – a public toilet cubicle that appears to offer the promise of blessed relief, but which on closer inspection turns out to be entirely see-through.

That, though, is the design feature behind several toilets that recently opened in public parks in Tokyo.

The “transparent” toilets, created by the Pritzker prize-winning architect Shigeru Ban and more than a dozen other leading designers, are made from coloured “smart glass” that turns opaque when the cubicles are occupied.

I've seen the same technology on TV recently in an internal facility but I can't remember what programme it was in. The glass changed when the door was locked.

This is quite disturbing & only watch the video if you have a strong constitution (YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED).

The description from the uploader:

Our sixteenth mini-vlog in which we clean a extremely polluted bathroom. The bathroom was filled with about 150 kg human feces and was without a doubt one of our hardest job ever.

ABOUT US

FRISSE KATER was founded in september 2014 and is specialized in cleaning up extreme & unique situations. We operate throughout the whole Benelux and are 24/7, 365 days a year on call. The results of our work are more than impressive. Unlike other cleaning firms we (almost) only focus on the cleaning of extreme & unique situations. This makes us without a doubt absolutely unique in the Benelux. Due to our specialization we can give our customers full peace of mind, and provide them the personal attention they deserve. Our services are always personal, with a unmatched standard of quality and customer-service.

After deciding the pilot project initiated in 2018 was a success Amsterdam authorities are expanding the deployment of GreenPee street urinal stations.

GreenPee.jpg

Netherlands fights 'wild peeing' with hemp-filled public urinals

The capital of the Netherlands has installed hemp-filled urinals in public outdoor locations around the city as a means of combating the longtime problem of "wild peeing."

Dutch company Urban Senses installed 12 GreenPee urinals in locations around Amsterdam that were identified by local officials as hotspots for public urination. ...

Richard de Vries, inventor of the GreenPee urinals, said the city initially installed four of the urinals in 2018, and they have now added eight more after determining the pilot program was a success. ...

The GreenPee urinals resemble planters and are filled with hemp. De Vries said the urinals offer a sustainable alternative to traditional public urinals, as they use less water and create green spaces for bees and other insects. The urinals produce organic fertilizer and water for the plants, the inventor said.

He said the benefits of the GreenPees also include reducing erosion on historic buildings often targeted by public urination and could even save lives, as several young men die each year by falling into canals at night while looking for a place to urinate. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ith-hemp-filled-public-urinals/9781598034266/

Still no facilities for women though. :dunno:

True, women are never catered for this way. It's as if all men are entitled to an added convenience because of the minority who cause trouble.

Urinals like these were installed in Manchester some years ago, they're not new.
(First time I saw one I thought it was a drinking fountain, to my companions' huge amusement.)

Urinals like these were installed in Manchester some years ago, they're not new.
(First time I saw one I thought it was a drinking fountain, to my companions' huge amusement.)
:rollingw:It's a good job they were there as you might have been feeling thirsty!
True, women are never catered for this way. It's as if all men are entitled to an added convenience because of the minority who cause trouble.
Plus it requires slightly more thought due to the need for privacy. Far easier to just not bother and expect us to put up with it.

:rollingw:It's a good job they were there as you might have been feeling thirsty!

Plus it requires slightly more thought due to the need for privacy. Far easier to just not bother and expect us to put up with it.
Who says she didn’t use it, that might have been the cause of the hilarity?

I would not feel comfortable using one of these!

I'm a huge fan of your fins and rivets!

Still no facilities for women though. :dunno:
True, women are never catered for this way. ...

From the full article:
The city of Amsterdam said officials are considering future research into whether the urinals could be made usable by women.

I'm not sure how they think they'd be able to accommodate women without requiring one of those personal funnel-type devices already on the market (and mentioned earlier).

From the full article:

I'm not sure how they think they'd be able to accommodate women without requiring one of those personal funnel-type devices already on the market (and mentioned earlier).
:rollingw:

Back