• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ya let's do everything we can to not upset the poor Nazis. Maybe the bitch boys can stop hiding in their mum's basements and we can have this out like men.
You missed the point. If it were just Nazis, we'd all say "f*** 'em", but the policy is so unpopular it is driving moderates into the hands of extremists. This seems to be a feature of populism around the world atm. Not a goods sign.

Mixed booze on tap.

Residents of an apartment building in southern India were left in shock after a mix of beer, brandy and rum started gushing out of their taps.

The smelly, brown liquid began flowing from kitchen taps in the block of flats, in Kerala, on Monday morning. Bemused residents then contacted the authorities for help, and discovered their water well had been contaminated by officials - albeit accidentally. It emerged 6,000 litres of confiscated alcohol had been buried nearby. The alcohol, which officials had placed in a pit after it was seized on court orders, had seeped through the soil and into a well - the same well which supplied the residents of the 18 flats in Thrissur district with drinking water.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-51372583

Found another few local ales I've never tried.

I've only had a single half-pint since Christmas, so now might be a good juncture to redress that.

SmartSelect_20200322-172018_Gallery.jpg

Seem to have run out of pint glasses, but I've opted for the middle one. I've climbed that volcanic cone that it's named after...

Good colour--not as 'light' or citrusy as the hue would suggest.

SmartSelect_20200322-173510_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
appealing, very appealing.

A friend of ours is a gin fancier (as are we) who tries every available gin that comes on the market. Australia has a lot of home grown gins, some exceptional and she recently mentioned this one from Tasmania on her Instagram feed.

Poltergeist Gin - a true spirit.
poltgin.jpg

A friend of mine refers to white wine as 'lady petrol' . It doesn't seem to upset the females he's serving it to. He's a Navy bloke.

Edit: Supplementary question. If the suppliers have already decided risque names were not economically wise why would CAMRA need to ban them? Mind you, I always thought CAMRA were a bunch of tweed-encrusted snobs more interested in sniffing the ale instead of actually drinking it in any sensible quantity, but that might just have been the local branch where I grew up.

And bitter beer is not supposed to be citrusy. I've given up on the progressively more inoffensive flavours of beer and resorted to Guinness. Courage Directors used to be so dry and bitter you needed a drink afterwards. Never been the same since they stopped brewing in London.

Oops, sorry, got on one of my hobbyhorses there.

Apart from Abbot, and Bishops finger, Tourettesbloodyshittybitter is one to look out for.:boozing:

258 Year Old Cognac Sells At Auction For £118,580

_112548213_cognaccomposite.jpg

The spirit dates back to 1762 and has been stored in a family cellar for the past 140 years. It should still taste good, Sotheby's auction house said.

The bottle was bought by a private collector in Asia and has set a record for the most expensive bottle of Cognac sold at auction, Sotheby's added.

It is one of only three bottles of the rare Gautier Cognac still in existence.

Seems a bargain compared with a bottle of The Macallan 1926 which sold last year for £1.5 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pope says Scotch whisky is the real holy water:
News story

The Vatican weren't happy, and had the quip cut from a TV documentary. Can't imagine Pope Francis boozed up, to be honest.

The worst possible news during the coronavirus panic.
50 million pints of beer set to be thrown away.
It's an absolute disaster on an epic scale.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52199185
The landlord of The Red Lion Hotel in Cromer isolated there during the virus with a couple of people, I was chatting with him across the car park at the time and he was locked in with 40+ barrels of beer that were going to go off anyway so they've spent the last few months until the recent relaxation of government restrictions drinking through the lot ..

Well done....taking one for the team there!
Just imagine his predicament .. a mint 3 storey haunted Victorian hotel (that I used to live and work in with all the keys) .. no customers or tourists. They were heroic in the face of all adversity .. over FORTY barrels of premium ale to drink for free? .. how did they manage? .. it must have been quarantine hell ..

Just imagine his predicament .. a mint 3 storey haunted Victorian hotel (that I used to live and work in with all the keys) .. no customers or tourists. They were heroic in the face of all adversity .. over FORTY barrels of premium ale to drink for free? .. how did they manage? .. it must have been quarantine hell ..
Are they now thoroughly sick of the taste of beer?

They may have observed increasing levels of paranormal activity as they worked their way through the ale. :beer: ;)

I would probably have to buy a lot of new, bigger clothes when I got out.

I'm gutted as after nearly 26 years of going to my local which is a Samuel Smiths pubs that mad bugger Humphrey Smith has put all drinks up by £1 so after him removing the toastie machine wasn't enough he has went the attractive place for decent cheap ale and stout etc to being nothing different then other traditional pubs :mad:
I must the youngest looking longest regular going and have seem the changes like when it would folk nights, Craster Crab sandwichs etc, bar meals and Sunday dinner, juke box in the pool room, cheap bottles of wine alongside cheap bottled beer and cans and now its skeleton of its former self.

I'm gutted as after nearly 26 years of going to my local which is a Samuel Smiths pubs that mad bugger Humphrey Smith has put all drinks up by £1 so after him removing the toastie machine wasn't enough he has went the attractive place for decent cheap ale and stout etc to being nothing different then other traditional pubs :mad:
I must the youngest looking longest regular going and have seem the changes like when it would folk nights, Craster Crab sandwichs etc, bar meals and Sunday dinner, juke box in the pool room, cheap bottles of wine alongside cheap bottled beer and cans and now its skeleton of its former self.
Take a hip flask to the pub and buy only 1 pint. Sorted.

Take a hip flask to the pub and buy only 1 pint. Sorted.
Nah I just go to my local Social club as they have the Sovereign on for £2.50 which is 53p cheaper and the Stout for £2.90, saying that before lockdown Sovereign Bitter was £2.09 and Stout £2.30 in the SS pubs.

Nah I just go to my local Social club as they have the Sovereign on for £2.50 which is 53p cheaper and the Stout for £2.90, saying that before lockdown Sovereign Bitter was £2.09 and Stout £2.30 in the SS pubs.
Blimey. When you go to your local social club, do you experience a time-slip on the way there and upon your arrival it's 1996???

Blimey. When you go to your local social club, do you experience a time-slip on the way there and upon your arrival it's 1996???

I would just like a return to say February 2020, before reality became unreal.

As a regular Beerfest attendee, this is the year I've been to fewer festivals since around 1979.
At least I have the Alton Winter Beerfest to remember in January this year.

I would just like a return to say February 2020, before reality became unreal.

As a regular Beerfest attendee, this is the year I've been to fewer festivals since around 1979.
At least I have the Alton Winter Beerfest to remember in January this year.
I refer to Swiftys post elsewhere regarding the pub landlords 'forced' to drink their booze stocks - bet you wish you were there, eh?

Back