• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

An Odd Bit Of Road

‘The upright horses were positioned in motion, as though leaping upwards out of the grave."
One of my older sisters bred Great Danes and as their boys and girls passed away her partner would dig a LARGE hole in the garden and as rigor mortis set in they would be buried standing up and facing towards the rising sun. Apparently it is some sort of tradition but I cannot verify where it originated.
When someone buys that house and does a bit of work in the garden they will be in for a big shock.

One of my older sisters bred Great Danes and as their boys and girls passed away her partner would dig a LARGE hole in the garden and as rigor mortis set in they would be buried standing up and facing towards the rising sun. Apparently it is some sort of tradition but I cannot verify where it originated.
When someone buys that house and does a bit of work in the garden they will be in for a big shock.

You might consider redrafting the above post. Just for clarity...

;)

maximus otter

Human beings have some nasty habits, don't they. :sorry:

From the same article on the Bulgarian chariot burial : 'A skeleton of a dog chained to the cart was also discovered ...'

I'm working my way through every serial killer doc there is (Killer Docs) and one featured the area around Lincoln (in Yorks?). Mayhaps you drove by an undiscovered grave of some murdered prossy. Peter Sutcliffe's old haunt?

Last edited:

I'm wondering about the logistics of that.
OK, it's a big dog, it dies and you pose it as if it's standing up.
Presumably Fido is immediately laid on his side, with the head and uppermost legs propped up, while rigor mortis does its job to give the standing effect.

Meanwhile the owners dig the grave, which must be quite a bit wider than the dog's body to allow for the space underneath the animal's abdomen to be filled in after the now stiffly standing late Fido is installed.
Or is the grave dug with deeper excavations at the back and front to accommodate the legs so Fido can be neatly slotted in? If so, how?

Not taking the mick, it really does puzzle me.

It's the sort of conundrum Stephen King tackles in Dolan's Cadillac by having the protagonist present a maths teacher with a thinly-disguised science fiction-style version of his car-sized grave scenario.

The Go-Between--lovely depressing novel; lovely depressing 70's movie with a lovely Michel Legrande score.

Presumably Fido is immediately laid on his side, with the head and uppermost legs propped up, while rigor mortis does its job to give the standing effect.

Meanwhile the owners dig the grave, which must be quite a bit wider than the dog's body to allow for the space underneath the animal's abdomen to be filled in after the now stiffly standing late Fido is installed.
Or is the grave dug with deeper excavations at the back and front to accommodate the legs so Fido can be neatly slotted in? If so, how?

It's the sort of conundrum Stephen King tackles in Dolan's Cadillac by having the protagonist present a maths teacher with a thinly-disguised science fiction-style version of his car-sized grave scenario.

I`ve just had the exact same images in my minds eye!!! :O

There was a story (probably an UL) about a bloke in Southend who used to bury any bike (motorbike) he fell off in his back garden. Of course we all wanted to find them and dig them up. But that must have included the same sort of serious logistics questions that you raise :)

Of course it would be far too late to find them now. Allegedly there was a Vincent (of course).

There was a story (probably an UL) about a bloke in Southend who used to bury any bike (motorbike) he fell off in his back garden. Of course we all wanted to find them and dig them up. But that must have included the same sort of serious logistics questions that you raise :)

Of course it would be far too late to find them now. Allegedly there was a Vincent (of course).
You might still find some useful bits.

I even picked my Sporty because (if you squint a bit) she looks like a Vincent. Not the same build quality though - I've been fortunate enough to see a few real Vincents.

There is or was a pub called (IIRC) the Red Lion in old Stevenage. On biker nights the small back car park was reserved for those lucky or rich enough to own V-Twins - back then we are talking mainly Ducatis, Moto-Guzzi's etc, not usually Harleys, who were still in their deeply depressing AMF days. One of my mates owned a Ducati 900SS (the original extremely loud one with Conti 'silencers'. Not the turn of the century plastic job).

Back then there was an old couple that would turn up with a Vincent and a chair - they were probably about the age they I am now - wearing matching silver Jet helmets and goggles. I can assure you they never had to fight for a space in the car park or push their way to the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reminds me of the movie Psychomania:

biker.JPG

You might still find some useful bits.
Unfortunatly I've (slightly) grown up and realised most British bikes were actually dogs. Imagine digging up an entire garden looking for a Vincent or a Royal Enfield Interceptor (or any of the half dozen or so really good British bikes) and digging up a Francis-Barnett, a BSA Bantam and a Velocette LE.

Although the legend of British bikes is now so great that even rubbish like that can sell for surprising money. I looked recently to see what the price of a 1970 BSA 'Gold Star' 250 would be. Not particularly because it was a good bike but because it had been the first working British bike I owned. They were a joke back then, although mine did handle surprisingly well. The prices people want are unbelievable - this is for a bike with basic design faults of which perhaps the most serious is due to the almost non-existent filtration in the lubrication circuit the oil feed in the big-end shell bearing gets blocked and cannot be cleared without stripping the engine down. this invariably results in the aluminium con-rod emerging from the crankcase at an inconvenient moment.

Jumping Jehosophat - I just looked on eBay- there is one on there at £3,500 - it allegedly runs, but it looks absolutely shagged. Many non-original parts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-250-...113656?hash=item44678daab8:g:SU0AAOSw-4BfkVS0

It should look like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIDFpNjaz-wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAj

Reminds me of the movie Psychomania:

View attachment 30940

It's really been done -
(safe YouTube link)

Ohio man buried astride beloved Harley motorcycle

A motorcycle loving man's family has fulfilled his dying wish to be buried astride his beloved Harley-Davidson encased in a see through casket.

But it wasn't easy. The project required an extra large cemetery plot to accommodate a Plexiglas casket for Billy Standley and his hulking custom painted 1967 Electra Glide cruiser.

Five embalmers worked to prepare his body with a metal back brace and straps to ensure he'll never lose his seat.

Standley's family said he'd been talking about it for years and liked to take people to the garage to show off the unusual casket his two sons had built for him.

He told people he didn't just want to ride off to heaven, he wanted the world to see him do it in the big see through box.

etc[/QUOTE]

A similar tall story is told in my home town about a house that was believed to have vintage motorbikes parked in the cellar by its late owner.

When he died, the story goes, his widow couldn't be bothered with any of it. She sold up to developers and the house was flattened with the bikes still in place. I've heard this from people who really should know better!

Unfortunatly I've (slightly) grown up and realised most British bikes were actually dogs. Imagine digging up an entire garden looking for a Vincent or a Royal Enfield Interceptor (or any of the half dozen or so really good British bikes) and digging up a Francis-Barnett, a BSA Bantam and a Velocette LE.

Although the legend of British bikes is now so great that even rubbish like that can sell for surprising money. I looked recently to see what the price of a 1970 BSA 'Gold Star' 250 would be. Not particularly because it was a good bike but because it had been the first working British bike I owned. They were a joke back then, although mine did handle surprisingly well. The prices people want are unbelievable - this is for a bike with basic design faults of which perhaps the most serious is due to the almost non-existent filtration in the lubrication circuit the oil feed in the big-end shell bearing gets blocked and cannot be cleared without stripping the engine down. this invariably results in the aluminium con-rod emerging from the crankcase at an inconvenient moment.

Jumping Jehosophat - I just looked on eBay- there is one on there at £3,500 - it allegedly runs, but it looks absolutely shagged. Many non-original parts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-250-...113656?hash=item44678daab8:g:SU0AAOSw-4BfkVS0

It should look like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/BSA/BSA%20B25.htm&psig=AOvVaw1gvxwsuGoZR6pA4mpMWaDD&ust=1603714088051000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIDFpNjaz-wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAj
You think that's expensive? I was a Lambretta fan for decades and of course got out of it just before prices spiralled. People ask (and get) £10000 for a 200cc TV/GP/SX. Prices of "classic" vehicles of any type have gone ludicrous.

You think that's expensive? I was a Lambretta fan for decades and of course got out of it just before prices spiralled. People ask (and get) £10000 for a 200cc TV/GP/SX. Prices of "classic" vehicles of any type have gone ludicrous.

Tell me about it. A German Panther tank from WW2 cost 117,100RM to build.

01-dsc_4809pwm-741x492.jpg

This beauty cost £2,000,000 before 14,000 hours of restoration, and an engine replacement that cost - IIRC - £250,000.

*inverts piggy bank, sighs*

maximus otter

Tell me about it. A German Panther tank from WW2 cost 117,100RM to build.

01-dsc_4809pwm-741x492.jpg

This beauty cost £2,000,000 before 14,000 hours of restoration, and an engine replacement that cost - IIRC - £250,000.

*inverts piggy bank, sighs*

maximus otter
I felt a touch sorry for the guy who had a Panther in his basement and had it confiscated. Don't know if he got it back or not. The closest I've got is a sixth scale rc Panther model which was a good few quids on it's own.

Back