• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory—Strangely Common

I'm sorry, that made me laugh. Yep, must be boring being a cannibal - i wonder if they occasionally lust after a nice nut roast or a fish supper.

Ah, we need a bit of levity as we go along our way :)

It's usually a one-off and fulled by extreme psychosis and probably drug-fueled. Once they've had some treatment and stop eating someone then they are pretty unremarkable.

edit: I've just repeated myself - sorry.

So cannibals make for bad dinner guests?
It's always annoying when you're sat next to someone who's just chewing your ear off.

Cannibal killer ate ex-girlfriend's brain after brutally stabbing her to death

Joseph Oberhansley, 39, stabbed former partner Tammy Jo Banton more than 25 times and mutilated her body at her home in Jefferson, Indiana.

The killer - who had previously served 12 years for killing a previous girlfriend and shooting his own mother - initially told police he had eaten parts of Ms Banton's body because she was "already dead".

He was charged with murder, rape and abuse of a corpse following the killing in September 2014, which prosecutors described as "worse than a horror movie."

This week he was told he will never be freed after being convicted of murder and burglary, but found not guilty of rape. Clark Circuit Judge Vicki Carmichael ruled that Oberhansley will never be allowed to apply for parole.

It's taken a long time considering this happened 6 years ago.

The killer - who had previously served 12 years for killing a previous girlfriend and shooting his own mother

What? Really? Shouldn't someone have been keeping an eye on him?

What? Really? Shouldn't someone have been keeping an eye on him?

You'd think so wouldn't you? You also have to wonder about a woman who'd have a relationship with a man who'd murdered a previous girlfriend & shot his mother.

Maybe she didn't know..

German police arrest 'cannibal' after murder victim remains found in Berlin forest

German prosecutors said Friday there is evidence of "cannibalism" in the killing of a 44-year-old man whose remains were found on the northern edge of Berlin earlier this month.

A 41-year-old man was arrested Thursday on suspicion of murder with sexual motives at his home close to the site where the victim's bones were found.

"The suspect had an interest in cannibalism," Berlin prosecutors' office spokesman Martin Steltner told The Associated Press. "He searched online for the topic."

Mr Steltner said it was unclear whether the victim had also had an interest in cannibalism. The two men, both Germans, had been in touch with each other online, he said. Neither of their names was released, for privacy reasons.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-cannibal-murder-victim-remains-found-berlin/

maximus otter

"The suspect had an interest in cannibalism," Berlin prosecutors' office spokesman Martin Steltner told The Associated Press. "He searched online for the topic."

maximus otter

Egad! I've searched cannibal holocaust online. Several serial killer stories. Many other topics too trivial to remember. Hopefully I'm never suspect!:axem:

Oklahoma murder suspect confesses to killing neighbor, cooking her heart

A triple murder suspect has confessed, saying he killed a neighbor first and cut her heart out to eat at home, the OSBI reported.

large960_blur-bfc1d2d1dd80df54fda12affc90ce4e7.jpg

"He took the heart back to 214 West Minnesota, Chickasha," an agent with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation told a judge in a request for a search warrant.

"He cooked the heart with potatoes to feed to his family to release the demons," the agent wrote.

Lawrence Paul Anderson is accused of killing the neighbor at her home and then going to his home and killing his uncle and a 4-year-old girl on Feb. 9.

He also is accused of stabbing his aunt. She survived.

The case already has sparked outrage because the repeat felon had been released early from prison in January. He had been sentenced in 2017 to serve 20 years behind bars but got out after Gov. Kevin Stitt commuted his time.

https://oklahoman.com/article/56828...-neighbor-cooking-her-heart-investigators-say

maximus otter

They are usually pretty boring people tbh.

I'v worked with many killers. Some multiple killers. Some child-killers.

They are veeeeeeeery boring people.

The infatution with serial killers is misguided. They are not, in my experience, exciting and edgy and interesting.

They are largely boring, self-obsessed and needy.

I'v worked with many killers. Some multiple killers. Some child-killers.

They are veeeeeeeery boring people.

The infatution with serial killers is misguided. They are not, in my experience, exciting and edgy and interesting.

They are largely boring, self-obsessed and needy.

totally correct.

In a word - dicks.

Dicks that believe the world owes them everything.

Ok, Coastal James, why the media obsession with these clearly not interesting, sexy or commendable people?

Surely there are plenty of commendable, sexy and interesting people out there to admire?

Ok, Coastal James, why the media obsession with these clearly not interesting, sexy or commendable people?

No idea really...

I guess because not many folk interact with such people.

And we are all kind of obssessed with sex and death? Subconsciously if not consciously.

I've found a few accounts of this macabre case, but there seems to be some doubt as to the veracity of the reporting (not to mention the logical inconsistencies in the tale, which I'll let you tease out to see whether our lists match).

The first account is supposedly from the Dundee Courier, but I don't have a publication date (1895 is implied).

E1fx2YeXoAIt1GU.jpeg.jpg

This is the apparently syndicated version was also published in NELSON EVENING MAIL, VOLUME XXX, ISSUE 103, 2 MAY 1896 (Page 4)

NEM18960502.2.25-a2-313w-c32-1.gif

Finally, an identical account from Albury Banner and Wodonga Express (NSW : 1871 - 1938), Friday 1 May 1896 (page 10).

nla.news-page000010755152-nla.news-article99431890-L3-7457bd09fa473726e4f466de256f0ee2-0001.jpg

Egad! I've searched cannibal holocaust online. Several serial killer stories. Many other topics too trivial to remember. Hopefully I'm never suspect!:axem:
There was cannibalism within Germanies POW camps for Soviet prisoners'. Most were simply surrounded with an electric barb wire fence in a large area w/o any shelter - bathrooms, etc. Just a cheap way for Germany to dispose of millions of Soviets POW's. As can be imagined the conditions were terrible left to rot in the rain and snow many threw themselves against the fence, some resorted to eating the dead.
https://his.uncg.edu/ghro/issues/issue_1/rayle_issue1.pdf

I've found a few accounts of this macabre case, but there seems to be some doubt as to the veracity of the reporting (not to mention the logical inconsistencies in the tale, which I'll let you tease out to see whether our lists match).
There are several issues and oddities associated with this story and its publication.

It appears the story emerged in the UK scene in February 1896 and rapidly spread throughout the country's newspapers. The earliest version I've confirmed was dated 25 February 1896.

There are American versions of the story that were published just prior to this time. The earliest versions I've found to date are from:

- Indianapolis Journal, 24 February 1896 (page 1)
- Oil City Derrick (Pennsylvania), 24 February 1896 (page 1)
- Fredericksburg (Virginia) Daily Star, 24 February 1896

https://newspapers.library.in.gov/?a=d&d=IJ18960224&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------
https://newspaperarchive.com/oil-city-derrick-feb-24-1896-p-1/
http://joshblackman.com/blog/2014/1...-self-defense-and-last-one-alive-left-a-note/

The American and UK versions of the story aren't identical. The earliest American (and Canadian*) versions make no mention of British Consul enquiries or alleged UK origins for Ewing and Olney.

These earliest American versions:

- cite the notes' author as "Obney" rather than "Olney";
- consistently state the 4 men were deserters who were hiding within the mine;
- cite Colliers WV as the source of the dispatch rather than Wheeling (if a source is given at all);
- specify a David Snyder as the person who discovered the bodies;
- specify the mine was approximately 1 mile east of Colliers; and
- give varying versions and spellings of the names for the men.

Given these differences, plus the fact the UK versions add elements to the story that don't appear in the American versions, my working theory is that the story originated in America - at least until someone can demonstrate the Dundee story (cf. Yith's post) really dates back to 1895.

*http://www.glengarrycountyarchives....Glengarrian/1896-1898/1896/Mar/03-06-1896.pdf

Last edited:
Some more background tidbits ...

Colliers, West Virginia, was a thriving mining town during the 19th century. Owing to the Great Depression and exhaustion of the mines it collapsed in the 20th century and is no longer an incorporated town.

One of the major mines in town - the Blanch Mine (aka Blanchester Mine) - was beset by disasters during the last half of the 19th century. There were two explosions with fatalities in that mine in 1892 and 1894 (both, coincidentally, occurring in November).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colliers,_West_Virginia

This makes me wonder whether - and / or to what extent - the story of the trapped deserters may have derived from or absorbed elements from these disasters that were recent as of the time the story first appeared.

Colliers is located in Brooke County within the northernmost "panhandle" section of West Virginia. This area was very heavily Unionist during the Civil War period. This, plus the relative isolation of northern West Virginia from the war's primary fighting, essentially means these alleged deserters would have been Union personnel.

The men's names (as typically cited) don't seem to appear in any records of Civil War personnel (such as they are). However, some versions of the published story give different combinations of first and last names for the alleged victims. This opens up the possibility mentioned by this blogger in 2017:

Is this story true, or was it just another old time newspaper hoax? While none of these soldiers appear to be listed in any known database, there does appear to be two Benjamin Ackelsons (5th West Virginia Cavalry, and 6th W. Va. Cavalry), a John Ayers (6th West Virginia Cavalry), and a Thomas Ewing (5th West Virginia Cavalry). Could it be possible that the newspaper just got the names mixed up? Or was the entire story a fabrication?
SOURCE: http://www.bizarrejournal.com/2017/05/the-chilling-last-testament-of-joseph.html

15 years for cannibalistic murder?!

A Spanish man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison after killing his mother and eating her remains.

Alberto Sánchez Gómez, 28, was arrested in 2019 after police found body parts around his mother's home - some in plastic containers. The court rejected Sánchez's arguments that he was experiencing a psychotic episode at the time of the killing. He will now serve 15 years for murder and a further five months for the desecration of a corpse. He has also been ordered to pay his brother €60,000 ($73,000, £52,000) in compensation.

Police arrived at the home in eastern Madrid in February 2019 after a friend raised concerns about the welfare of María Soledad Gómez, who was in her 60s. During the trial, the court heard that Sánchez, then aged 26, had strangled his mother during a dispute. He then dismembered and ate parts of her body over the following two weeks, feeding some to his dog.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57487868

A Spanish man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison after killing his mother and eating her remains.

Alberto Sánchez Gómez, 28, was arrested in 2019 after police found body parts around his mother's home - some in plastic containers. The court rejected Sánchez's arguments that he was experiencing a psychotic episode at the time of the killing. He will now serve 15 years for murder and a further five months for the desecration of a corpse. He has also been ordered to pay his brother €60,000 ($73,000, £52,000) in compensation.

Police arrived at the home in eastern Madrid in February 2019 after a friend raised concerns about the welfare of María Soledad Gómez, who was in her 60s. During the trial, the court heard that Sánchez, then aged 26, had strangled his mother during a dispute. He then dismembered and ate parts of her body over the following two weeks, feeding some to his dog.

Nice to see other EU countries getting onto the cannibalism scoreboard. lt was going to be a whitewash for Germany.

maximus otter

What does this mean @EnolaGaia ? I'm not familiar with it in this context.
I found this if it helps

An incorporated town or city in the United States is a municipality, that is, one with a charter received from the state. ... An incorporated town will have elected officials, as differentiated from an unincorporated community, which exists only by tradition and does not have elected officials at the town level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporated_town

What does this mean @EnolaGaia ? I'm not familiar with it in this context.
It's what Souleater posted ... For a community to hold certain privileges of jurisdiction and administrative power (e.g., taxation; law enforcement) it must be formally recognized (chartered) as a corporate* entity by the state in which it lies. The exact terminology and procedures varied during the centuries of development from colonial times until the present and among the states that formed along the way.

In this case, Colliers the unincorporated community (simply a named locale within a county) evolved into Colliers the incorporated mining town. When Colliers' economy collapsed Colliers devolved to the point it could no longer sustain itself as an incorporated town, and its corporate status was terminated - leaving it as just a named locale again. Colliers became the ghost of a town that once existed.

* This type of incorporation represents a form of "corporation" older than the more modern type associated with (e.g.) business and non-profit entities.

I'm guessing that he didn't have a clear plan of disposal of the body!

Thank god I don't have kids. I have to keep a close eye on my cats though:chuckle:

Back