• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Ya Gonna Call? Ghost Hunters & Hunting

Apparently I'm off to a séance tonight. Perfect weather for it (dark, stormy and windy) and we'll be meeting a new team member at his place. He's the singer and guitarist in a rockabilly band so all the horror film clichés are there. It's been nice knowing you all :p .
Just DON'T GO INTO THE BASEMENT!

Apparently I'm off to a séance tonight. Perfect weather for it (dark, stormy and windy) and we'll be meeting a new team member at his place. He's the singer and guitarist in a rockabilly band so all the horror film clichés are there. ...

Take extra care in setting up your video and audio recording apparatus. You wouldn't want to miss any of the mysterious shakes, rattles or rolls ... :evillaugh:

It was more a Ouija board session when we got there, something I'd always said I'd never do but I decided to anyway and filmed it .. then the bloke had a power cut just as we were leaving, his whole street went down in fact .. the drive back was a bit dodgy with trees in the road, lightning in the distance and at one point a downed power cable sticking out into the road. Still, we've spent the evening talking to dead people (or ourselves) so there's always that.

I haven't even watched this yet .. our night at Baconsthorpe Castle

Any significant moments you can point to for those who haven't got the patience for an hour & a quarter of wandering in the dark?

Any significant moments you can point to for those who haven't got the patience for an hour & a quarter of wandering in the dark?
Isolating possible significant moments presents them out of context IMO, most of the moments are the result of other stuff happening leading up to them. No offence taken if you haven't got time to watch the full thing, fair enough. Most of it is us wandering in the dark apart from some timely EMF stuff if you're talking 'but what can I actually see?' (half way through in unexplained as yet out of focus footage inside the guard room and near the end of the video that shows what also looks like intelligent responses) .. a weird white object was captured darting across a window but she didn't include that, probably because it was captured on a phone .. two other possible apparitions that were left out of this film that were also captured on her phone but too many artefact plus low lighting factors for them to be taken seriously.

edit: at 10:00 my reaction was due to pointing my camera through the outside of a pane-less window and feeling I was seeing a 'blur' rushing towards me. What I thought I saw resembled something like as if someone had smeared a squashed shape circle of vaseline on some clear glass and that was rushing towards me at head level. I decided it was more likely a trick of the (torch) light mixed with tiredness. I was teased immediately afterwards, nothing spooky can be seen in the footage but then sometimes we see stuff that the camera doesn't pick up or we don't see stuff and the camera picks it up. Rossana felt something had stroked the back of her leg in the next shot although that was on a different side of the outer castle walls.

Last edited:
I started watching it but didn't make it past the intro, it's all a bit "horror movie" for my taste
That's a fair comment Titch, we tried to make this one more visually interesting not just for ourselves but for anyone else. This included using the deliberate dutch angle intro, an earlier high up angle intro which I had to climb up a wall to achieve, long shots to give more of a sense of scale of the place, more nature and silhouette shots, sharper editing and more of us talking. Other than that, everything you see is natural and as it happened, nothing rehearsed .. we don't even plan what we're going to say for intros (apart from the onscreen scrolling history beginning bits obviously). Thanks for your comment, I'll pass that on to Rossanna :salute:

That's a fair comment Titch, we tried to make this one more visually interesting not just for ourselves but for anyone else. This included using the deliberate dutch angle intro, an earlier high up angle intro which I had to climb up a wall to achieve, long shots to give more of a sense of scale of the place, more nature and silhouette shots, sharper editing and more of us talking. Other than that, everything you see is natural and as it happened, nothing rehearsed .. we don't even plan what we're going to say for intros (apart from the onscreen scrolling history beginning bits obviously). Thanks for your comment, I'll pass that on to Rossanna :salute:
It's a tricky balance, ghost hunts are mostly just sitting in the dark with nothing happening, good to be part of but as dull as ditch water to view, but go too far in the opposite direction and it looks like a sequel to the living de....Oooo I see your cunning plan now!

It's a tricky balance, ghost hunts are mostly just sitting in the dark with nothing happening, good to be part of but as dull as ditch water to view, but go too far in the opposite direction and it looks like a sequel to the living de....Oooo I see your cunning plan now!
Thanks for understanding .. our earlier vids were less visually interesting with or without weird stuff captured .. but if we go too far and start using coloured lighting and dry ice machines (or other optical effects), we'd just be making a theatrical play. I'm hoping that being more experimental with camera angles alone won't detract from our videos, I won't be using techniques like dolly in/zoom out or similar because that stuff would create illusions instead of just documenting situations and surroundings. We own three camcorders: two that are used for night vision only plus mine that's used for colour day filming and dim lighting including torch and candle light. As well as making this a more balanced viewing experience, different ways of filming might be more sensitive to possible paranormal stuff so we can use these cameras strategically. When we film at Santon Church, Eddie Mallet joins us so we can add a fourth camera that's both night vision and infrared. Roseanna uses a rifle mic on her camcorder so that's the one we can use in small areas previously reported as producing anomalous sounds with digital recorders as back up .. and so on and so on .. we also sometimes do simultaneous livesteams on Facebook if you're an insomniac.

A forum member here complemented us on our over night video at 30 East Drive which I actually found the least interesting one to watch because very little happened there despite it's infamous reputation .. but then not every night can be active.

Last edited:
I skipped the intro and watched a good whack of it this evening, Ringo is famous!
Ringo designed some experiments that we gave a test run of at the castle after I asked his advice for new methods we could try that weren't over reliant in using electronic gadgets. We'll be using them and others again on the tenth of this month at Santon Church so it was only fair to give him a thank you shout out in the video :)

We're all twitching for our all nighter at Santon Church again on the 10th .. amplified because of lockdown restrictions and rules those are our first obstacles .. if government ruling gives us the green light? .. then we've got one team member who might have a new car by then .. and if not? .. we've jumped a train to get to a location before but obviously not advised ..

Ringo, we have now sourced a bell we can use for one of your suggestions. Her dog isn't old enough yet to be taken with us.

We're all twitching for our all nighter at Santon Church again on the 10th .. amplified because of lockdown restrictions and rules those are our first obstacles .. if government ruling gives us the green light? .. then we've got one team member who might have a new car by then .. and if not? .. we've jumped a train to get to a location before but obviously not advised ..

Ringo, we have now sourced a bell we can use for one of your suggestions. Her dog isn't old enough yet to be taken with us.

Remember to keep 2 metres away from all spectral entities and be home by 10.
Of course you have to be sure there are no spectral entities taking your group number above 6. If they show up on the cameras you’ll get a fine.
Another thing to remember. You’re not Roger Corman. Don’t overdo the videos otherwise it’s verging on Am-dram.

Remember to keep 2 metres away from all spectral entities and be home by 10.
Of course you have to be sure there are no spectral entities taking your group number above 6. If they show up on the cameras you’ll get a fine.
Another thing to remember. You’re not Roger Corman. Don’t overdo the videos otherwise it’s verging on Am-dram.
Absolutely old chap, couldn't agree with you more. Please read the first half of post #760, 6 posts up on this page.

Absolutely old chap, couldn't agree with you more. Please read the first half of post #760, 6 posts up on this page.
Yeah. That’s my point. My favourite bit in the video is when the guy says ‘These windows are filthy’. Which shows ghosts don’t clean their houses or can‘t organise window cleaners to come around. Which is proof of something I suppose.

Yeah. That’s my point. My favourite bit in the video is when the guy says ‘These windows are filthy’. Which shows ghosts don’t clean their houses or can‘t organise window cleaners to come around. Which is proof of something I suppose.
That was me that was .. it was just a joke because there isn't any glass in the windows there.

My closest experience with ghost hunting was a haunted walking tour in French Quarter in New Orleans. It was early evening, so kids friendly version. The woman doing the walk was a great storyteller and the historical info was very interesting. Iirc, there was a cholera outbreak at one time and one of the streets (running directly towards the Mississippi) had bodies piled incredibly high and filled the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun and frolics with alarmed motion sensors from a crew called Shadow Paranormal, skip to 21:20

My favourite bit in the video is when the guy says ‘These windows are filthy’. Which shows ghosts don’t clean their houses or can‘t organise window cleaners to come around.
That explains all the cobwebs in haunted houses! :smghost:

Another team visiting our favourite location, All Saints Church in Santon ..

We did an all nighter here about a week ago, my third visit but our team's 5th to All Saints .. this church is a hotbed of weirdness, we'll be having another video up on youtube hopefully within a month.

Phenomena we've experienced and or recorded so far include: 3 bars of pipe music heard by three of us live, whispering, growling and swearing live and recorded, the church door latch lifting itself up, cameras switching themselves off with buttons physically depressed, fresh camera and torch batteries draining too quickly, smell of lavender and on a different night strong smell of alcohol, sudden temperature drops, sudden energy and or mood drops with investigators, feelings of anger, headaches and nausea coming and going, feeling of being touched, possible sightings of shadow figure in church and at the window, SLS figures and spirit box voice recordings and still image anomalies.

One of our team members announced that he'd heard a male voice telling him he was a "candle waster" .. none of us had heard that insult before either at the church or otherwise so I looked it up when I got back home:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/candle-waster

candle-waster (n.)
"one who wastes candles," specifically a contemptuous word for one who follows occupations considered unprofitable or harmful, 1590s, from candle + agent noun from waste (v.).

A whoreson book-worm, a candle-waster. [Ben Jonson, "Cynthia's Revels"]

Usage
In literature:

CANDLE-WASTER, one who studies late.

"Volpone; Or, The Fox" by Ben Jonson
"The Alchemist" by Ben Jonson
"The Poetaster" by Ben Jonson
"Sejanus: His Fall" by Ben Jonson
"Every Man In His Humor" by Ben Jonson

I shall be to an assembly what a waster is to a candle; and instead of adding to the general light and usefulness, I shall do the very reverse.
"The Assembly of God" by C. (Charles) H. (Henry) Mackintosh

Eddie Mallet is a great story teller, there's no denying that so we were a bit nervous when we learned he wouldn't be joining us last week at the church. Had he been hyping us all up so far to make us more suggestable?. We'd never up to that point been there without him but the night was just as active without him. I'm convinced the place is haunted.

Last edited:
Do you feel that expectation potentiates the external phenomenon? And / or do you think there are discarnate intelligent or demented shades tied to certain places?

Do you feel that expectation potentiates the external phenomenon? And / or do you think there are discarnate intelligent or demented shades tied to certain places?
Naturally we're all excited before we get to a location because we enjoy doing what we do. That said, we haven't detected any correlation between expectations/hopes and what does or doesn't happen on an investigation. We all had high hopes for 30 East Drive and it's notorious reputation (up there with the Enfield poltergeist and Borley Rectory) but very little happened there as you'll notice if you watch our vid. Two of our new team members have even complimented us on how calm and methodical we are. We can visit a location and feel it's 'active', return at a later date and feel it's 'flat' so our mantra is "They're not performing monkeys", we take notes on weather conditions and temperature to try and find non paranormal explanations. When a cluster of weird things start to happen at a location, depending on the nature of the events, we'll use the right tool for the right job and move audio equipment to areas of unexplained noises .. something weird seen and two sets of motion sensors are available as well as a wildlife camera that automatically takes 8 stills when the beam is broken.

I do think there are discarnate intelligent and demented shades tied to certain places, a good example being Reverend Richard Kendell who killed prostitutes at All Saints Church in Santon. His excuse was that he was doing God's work, he was also a blasphemer, an alcoholic and fond of swearing. The smell of alcohol can sometimes be detected at the church, people have reported being sworn at, this has been captured on sound equipment. People have also been physically affected there .. both myself and another team member had to go outside and vomit at different times on the last night because we couldn't swallow suddenly. Leaving the church grounds alleviated this. 'Spirit headaches' and 'spirit drunk' are also common things that visitors experience there. No one has reported anything more serious than that apart from a few have experienced pain in one arm or on their left shoulder, that only happens to males.

...Reverend Richard Kendell who killed prostitutes at All Saints Church in Santon.

l’ve just done a bit of Googling on this interesting-sounding chap, but come up empty. Do you have any links to him and his...hobby?

maximus otter

l’ve just done a bit of Googling on this interesting-sounding chap, but come up empty. Do you have any links to him and his...hobby?

maximus otter
Yep .. I'll find em for you.

.. half way down this page, year 1635

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/t...p4weOHcQ0l6e6eYVVl22CpowC1Ae2Ub_PMnivp7Lkss7M

I've got some more bits and bobs on the fella but very little was written about him, his name is painted onto a list board of other rectors in a different Santon church that I can't re find at the moment (edit: St Marys Church). Until then, this looks quite interesting .. I haven't watched this yet but I'll be surprised if Kendall isn't mentioned:

Last edited:
Yep .. I'll find em for you.

.. half way down this page, year 1635

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/t...p4weOHcQ0l6e6eYVVl22CpowC1Ae2Ub_PMnivp7Lkss7M

"1635, 8 March, Richard Kendal, A. M. on the death of the last rector. He was turned out by the Earl of Manchester, 10th Aug. 1644, for observing the orders of the church, refusing to contribute to the Rebellion, swearing, haunting inns, being distempered with liquor, keeping malignant company, and for saying in a sermon, six or seven years before, that the puritans were hypocrites. He was also plundered for the Parliament taxes, and if I mistake not (says Walker, (fn. 10) ) had some temporal estate also put under sequestration, ejected from this, and [Sandy] Downham stipend.

1669, 10 March, John Burrell, A. M. on the death of Kendall. He held this with Kilverston in Norfolk, and was afterwards rector of Cressingham-Magna."

He sounds...colourful...but nothing about his hobbies including "topping prozzies".

maximus otter

He sounds...colourful...but nothing about his hobbies including "topping prozzies".
Eddie Mallet's the man you need to be speaking to about the specifics of the allegations, I'll pm you his contact details. You should also consider visiting the church yourself on an invest .. I think I could tolerate spending the night with you, Eddie and some of our team if you're interested?.

To get a taste for the place, here's literally dozens of his own videos at the place .. people spend a fortune to attend haunted nights that are non eventful, there's no charge at all to go to All Saints and it's nearly always 'kicking off' there.

edit: Kendall actually 'served two terms' there after being kicked out. For some reason he was allowed to go back, something to do with a shift in local politics that I'll try to re find.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AveburyEddie/videos

edit as I find 'em: there's mentions of orgies in the church in this link and, of all things, a masonic/knights templar connection! .. no dead prostitutes yet ..

https://themidnightgarden.org/2016/04/23/santon-church-santon-downham/

Last edited:
Back