• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

Nice time for some Bowie. Early stuff, then a late classic.
Most songs in this early Deram release are brilliant.

This is basically the same song, more artfully rendered.

A rare 19 5/8" Polyphon disc, commissioned by Henson Associates and Lucasfilm Ltd and composed by David Bowie for the motion picture 'The Labyrinth'. Played on an antique Disc Musical Box made by Polyphon in 1898. The disc was made in 1986 especially for this type of musical box, to then be recorded and used in the film.

A rare 19 5/8" Polyphon disc, commissioned by Henson Associates and Lucasfilm Ltd and composed by David Bowie for the motion picture 'The Labyrinth'. Played on an antique Disc Musical Box made by Polyphon in 1898. The disc was made in 1986 especially for this type of musical box, to then be recorded and used in the film.

That's really cool, I recognise it from the film, I had assumed it was a synth playing a music box sound or an actual music box.

This shot of David Bowie was taken by photographer Steve Schapiro during a 12-hour photo session, late 1975.

abowie03.jpg

This Debbie Harry autobiography is the gift that keeps on giving. She describes how Blondie were chosen to support Iggy Pop, and David Bowie was hanging around with him. They both ran out of cocaine, so asked her if she had any. She did, and they went upstairs to partake (she didn't really like the drug).

Both Iggy and David hoovered up the small amount of the stuff and Bowie immediately got his cock out (which she says was famously substantial). According to Deb, she thought this was "funny, adorable and sexy". I'm not so sure! Apparently he did this quite often. Anyway, her boyfriend appeared and the cock was put away. Still, what an anecdote she got out of it.

This Debbie Harry autobiography is the gift that keeps on giving. She describes how Blondie were chosen to support Iggy Pop, and David Bowie was hanging around with him. They both ran out of cocaine, so asked her if she had any. She did, and they went upstairs to partake (she didn't really like the drug).

Both Iggy and David hoovered up the small amount of the stuff and Bowie immediately got his cock out (which she says was famously substantial). According to Deb, she thought this was "funny, adorable and sexy". I'm not so sure! Apparently he did this quite often. Anyway, her boyfriend appeared and the cock was put away. Still, what an anecdote she got out of it.

Operation Yewtree will be interested in this. Apparently that's exactly what one of the current crop of detainees did (regularly, but without cocaine).

Operation Yewtree will be interested in this. Apparently that's exactly what one of the current crop of detainees did (regularly, but without cocaine).

Bit late for that now! Also it happened in NYC, so outside their jurisdiction.

Whilst trapped in the maze which is YouTube, I have inadvertently just come across the following.

If it hasn't previously been highlighted and largely unseen - looks really interesting. :crazy:

One of the reasons he chose to go with Yes rather than Bowie was in Yes he would still be his own person whereas if he were in the Spiders he would have just been regarded as one of Bowie’s band.
I know who all played for David Bowie by name, rank and serial number since 1971. I've heard of Rick Wakeman but couldn't name for you anybody who played in Yes.

Bowie's last known position was somewhere in the Pleiades without a head.

Si. But we're talking legacies here. I'd rather have been Carlos Alomar for all he gave us as Bowie's axemeister than Rick Wakeman of Yes for all his whateverness.

The Man Who Sold the World
was originally better received by critics in the US than in the UK. Nevertheless, it was a commercial failure in both countries; its 1972 reissue managed to chart in both the US and the UK. Retrospectively, the album has been praised for the band's performance and the unsettling nature of its music and lyrics. Multiple critics have since considered the album to be the start of Bowie's "classic period". The album has since been reissued multiple times and will be remixed in 2020, under its original title Metropolist, for its 50th anniversary.
On 6 November 2020, the album will be reissued by Parlophone under its working title Metrobolist to commemorate its 50th anniversary. It will feature an updated version of the original Michael J. Weller artwork as its official cover. For this release, Tony Visconti has remixed every song except "After All", because he felt the 2015 remastered mix is "perfect as is".[112][113]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Sold_the_World_(album)

These are my favourite ten Bowie albums in order of enjoyment. what are yours?
10. Black Tie White Noise
9. Earthling
8. Reality
7. The Man Who Sold the World
6. Lodger
5. Station To Station
4. Stage
3. Tin Machine
2. Ziggy
1. Hunky Dory

These may be my favourite ten Bowie songs. What are yours?
10. Warszawa
9. The Bewlay Brothers
8. She'll Drive the Big Car
7. Moonage Daydream
6. Modern Love
5. Station To Station
4. The Supermen
3. Seven Years in Tibet
2. Blackstar
1. Quicksand

I know who all played for David Bowie by name, rank and serial number since 1971. I've heard of Rick Wakeman but couldn't name for you anybody who played in Yes.
Exact opposite for me and I suspect for people who were into music but not fans of either would be more likely to be able to name members of Yes. Heck even Jon Anderson alone!

Back