• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ed Gein's hairy keyring

I've just been watching this video linked below, it's a tour of someone's museum of macabre artefacts. As well as owning a large amount of John Wayne Gacy's paintings, this guy owns a keyring that was once owned by Gein with a long tuft of hair attached and a piece of skull attaching it to the chain. Is it Gein's mother's hair or remains of one of his victims? .. or neither?

Skip to 41:05 for the Ed Gein part of the tour ..

Details on the Graveface Museum

https://theinkwellonline.com/2020/10/19/graveface-museum-gets-creepy-all-year/

Oh right, Ed Gein's hairy KEYring.
As you were.

Just not into glorification of serial killers.
Yup, full agreement here. People do idolise them and it's creepy.

I used to go on a group chat about the Moors Murders which had a respectable criminological focus.
It was closed down when new members started showing stuff like photos of Xmas cards they'd had from Ian Brady.

Very disappointing but probably inevitable.

Yup, full agreement here. People do idolise them and it's creepy.

I used to go on a group chat about the Moors Murders which had a respectable criminological focus.
It was closed down when new members started showing stuff like photos of Xmas cards they'd had from Ian Brady.

Very disappointing but probably inevitable.
Nothing against studying them and their crimes. Particularly when there is a mystery eg Jack the Ripper. There are some things I own in my cabinet of curiosities which some people will not like. Each to their own, just not for me.

During my Criminology degree I was able to indulge my interest in medical murder and probably bored my tutors stiff with them.

Lucky old me - I'd worked in care/nursing beforehand and had been interviewed as a witness in one such case.
Disappointingly, I didn't have to go to court as there was enough evidence without mine. At the time I lived abroad and would've been flown back home at Her Maj's expense!

Did a talk on that particular case and indeed collected enough material to have written a book, and was able to put forward an informed theory about why it happened. It's all still upstairs in a big folder.

Anyway... another alleged medical serial killer case is coming up that's almost local to me. Seems particularly sad and outrageous.

Chester hospital baby deaths probe: Nurse Lucy Letby rearrested

Lucy Letby arrested again.

A nurse has been rearrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies and the attempted murder of another nine at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Lucy Letby was previously arrested in 2018 and 2019 as part of a probe into deaths at the hospital's neo-natal unit. Cheshire Police has said it is investigating the deaths of 17 infants between 2015 and 2016. Ms Letby, originally from Hereford, remains in custody. The force said its investigation was "extremely challenging" but "very much active and ongoing". ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-54886213

Lucy Letby arrested again.

A nurse has been rearrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies and the attempted murder of another nine at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Lucy Letby was previously arrested in 2018 and 2019 as part of a probe into deaths at the hospital's neo-natal unit. Cheshire Police has said it is investigating the deaths of 17 infants between 2015 and 2016. Ms Letby, originally from Hereford, remains in custody. The force said its investigation was "extremely challenging" but "very much active and ongoing". ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-54886213

I was going to post about this but thought twice because of the following police statement on the Chesire Live news page -

“We fully appreciate that it continues to have a big impact on all those involved – including the families of the babies, staff and patients at the hospital as well as members of the public.

“For that reason, I would urge people to avoid any commentary or speculation online or otherwise regarding the investigation itself or the identity of anyone involved as this is unhelpful and it could cause distress to the parents of the babies. It could also impact on the ongoing criminal case moving forward.

“At this stage, I am unable to go into any further details about the investigation but as soon as I can provide any further updates I will do.”

Seems a bit over-cautious when the BBC New at One're naming her.

Anyway, whatever's gone on, it seems to have been picked up more quickly than it might have been in the past. Lessons have been learned.

Nothing against studying them and their crimes. Particularly when there is a mystery eg Jack the Ripper. There are some things I own in my cabinet of curiosities which some people will not like. Each to their own, just not for me.
Yup, it's the difference between reading a book about a serial killer and sending him a cheery postcard, and then getting one back and putting it on display.

She's not a serial killer until she's convicted of being one to be fair. She's in a magistrate court later today so the police seem in a hurry to perhaps get a crown court trial later on?.

edit: she's been remanded in custody today and is in Chester crown court on Friday.

Last edited:
It looks like the magistrate court artist has made his/her mind up already ..

alucyletby001.jpg

It looks like the magistrate court artist has made his/her mind up already ..

View attachment 31476
How d'you mean? She looks like she's listening hard to what's being said.

Incidentally, the court artist Julia Quenzler is a minor celebrity in her own right. She has sketched many famous defendants for the media. Her drawings are spot-on.

I would say she looks like Jared Harris in the picture, but I don't want to be frivolous on such a serious subject. I have no idea what she looks like IRL.

How d'you mean? She looks like she's listening hard to what's being said.

Incidentally, the court artist Julia Quenzler is a minor celebrity in her own right. She has sketched many famous defendants for the media. Her drawings are spot-on.
The first thing the Mrs said was "She's been painted like a witch" .. it's not a flattering painting but then she's in the fight of her life with probably next to no sleep, innocent or guilty, no one's going to 'look good' under the circumstances. I badly want her to be innocent.

The first thing the Mrs said was "She's been painted like a witch" .. it's not a flattering painting but then she's in the fight of her life with probably next to no sleep, innocent or guilty, no one's going to 'look good' under the circumstances. I badly want her to be innocent.

Quenzler draws the people as they are. No room for flattery!

Have a look at her sketches, they are exquisite. She does them from memory as it is illegal to make an image of any kind in the court.
They are then taped to the external wall of the court building to be photographed.

A few years ago there was an attempted murder case in The Archers and Quenzler was brought in to do drawings of the proceedings as if they were real.
The Accused did look a wrong'un, but to be fair the actor did too! :chuckle:

I would say she looks like Jared Harris in the picture, but I don't want to be frivolous on such a serious subject. I have no idea what she looks like IRL.

lucy-letby-28.jpg

The sketch artist seems to have dropped the ball here, though to be fair an accusation of serial killing probably isn’t conducive to a cheery smile and maintaining weight.

maximus otter

It's definitely not a flattering picture that's for sure!

Why do you badly want her to be innocent?

Being frivolous, any mention of Jared Harris is most welcome. :twothumbs:

Yes, looking at the photo of her, she doesn't have 'the look' of a murderer.
Most murderers have a look that indicates their inner turmoil.
I know, I know, shouldn't judge a book by its cover. But I've got an instinct about this.

I know, I know, shouldn't judge a book by its cover. But I've got an instinct about this.
Weird isn't it? .. and yes, I know before anyone reminds me, psychopaths notoriously stand out by not standing out and seeming lovely etc .. but she's about as far removed looks wise as I can imagine for someone accused of mass murder.

Weird isn't it? .. and yes, I know before anyone reminds me, psychopaths notoriously stand out by not standing out and seeming lovely etc .. but she's about as far removed looks wise as I can imagine for someone accused of mass murder.
I am wondering if she's been set up by a colleague.
Or... my instincts could be totally wrong this time. I've been wrong a few times.

I am wondering if she's been set up by a colleague.
Or... my instincts could be totally wrong this time. I've been wrong a few times.
A conspiracy theory has been put forward that someone is jealous of her because she was the 'poster girl' in raising the money for the ward as well as being involved in many other charities so she's (in theory) been set up by a jealous co worker. I expect the police will have considered that already. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

Court sketches are usually very accurate.

Take, for instance, Elizabeth Cook's recent depiction of Nigel Planer with the same solicitor.

3500.jpg

0_GettyImages-722060575.jpg

Scargy, that wasn't a jocular comment - why do you always use the 'laugh' smiley on all of my comments? It's like a 'default' reaction or something.

Scargy, that wasn't a jocular comment - why do you always use the 'laugh' smiley on all of my comments? It's like a 'default' reaction or something.
I was laughing there because we all see the same images of criminal or accused people in the media. Their characters cannot be inferred from their appearance in a photo. No special knowledge can be imparted though it.
If that were the case we'd have no trouble clearing up crime. Just use phrenology!

I was laughing there because we all see the same images of criminal or accused people in the media. Their characters cannot be inferred from their appearance in a photo. No special knowledge can be imparted though it.
If that were the case we'd have no trouble clearing up crime. Just use phrenology!
Just want to strongly agree with what you wrote.

The only thing that matters in these cases are hard facts.

The crown court trail starts at 2:15 today. I wonder if any members of public will be allowed in what with social distancing?.

Back