• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

Hi GNC,
I'm assuming sometimes you can get in and other times you can't? Is that correct?
As far as I'm aware no one else is seeing this issue at the moment.
Are you using your normal way of connecting or are you logging in at a different location?

No, nothing different from what I always do, and on no other site am I getting this error. It seems to hit random pages, and when I click the BACK button and try clicking the relevant link again, after two or three goes it works again. It hasn't paralysed the site, but it is a bit of a pain.

No, nothing different from what I always do, and on no other site am I getting this error. It seems to hit random pages, and when I click the BACK button and try clicking the relevant link again, after two or three goes it works again. It hasn't paralysed the site, but it is a bit of a pain.
Thanks. And I just had one flash up for me as well! Working on it, will keep you posted.

OK, then. I might be back later tonight to see if it's still an issue...

Anybody know what happened to the WTF thread?
I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Anybody know what happened to the WTF thread?
I can't seem to find it anywhere.
The site search rejects WTF as insufficient input, and the word "things" hardly narrows it down. In other words, I had the same issue as you the other day, when I had my moment of horror over Norman Stanley Fletcher's age.

Thanks!
I tried search... nope.
I looked at all the stuff under Chat... nope.

Yep - if you go into the bell icon, click on show all at the bottom, when you then come back out the number should be gone.
Yes, the number vanishes - I was wondering what would make the actual alert texts vanish. Ones that you've read grey out but don't go away when you click the bell...

Good point - I've never ever thought about it! The fewer threads you actively subscribe to the better (if you have notify as default you'll get loads, especially if you post widely), having just looked at mine there's about a page of them, going back to the end of last week, so they do elapse.

Good point - I've never ever thought about it! The fewer threads you actively subscribe to the better (if you have notify as default you'll get loads, especially if you post widely), having just looked at mine there's about a page of them, going back to the end of last week, so they do elapse.
ah ok, thanks! I was searching for a 'mark as read' button - maybe I'll just mark everything as read and start with a clean slate :)

View attachment 31640
Content Deleted; Warning Issued

I have decided to dispute your deletion of my post & warning issued, as the the person in question is no longer a part of the current govt. It resigned/left its position long before my original post.

Last edited:
I have decided to dispute your deletion of my post & warning issued, as the the person in question is no longer a part of the current govt. It resigned/left its position long before my original post.

We'll look/think again, consult the whole moderation team (as they drift in and out across the day) and get back to you.

We'll look/think again, consult the whole moderation team (as they drift in and out across the day) and get back to you.

Ahh, the return of a monochrome Yithian (or 'Within' as the spellchecker tried to make it), this time in the form of Leonard Rossiter. Nice!

We've all had a look and a think about this except for Stu who has some important work-related concerns that have kept him away from this place.

I simply asked everybody to review your comment and the action taken to remove it and issue a warning, and state approval or disapproval and a reason for their position.

We tend only to 'vote' like this when conversation fails to lead to apparent consensus, but in this case we unanimously found the action to be fair and proportionate.

Grounds in short:

1. That our politics ban was never supposed to be limited to currently sitting/serving political figures; indeed, in recent memory disparaging references towards Barack Obama, David Cameron and Mao Tse-tung have also been removed.

2. That Dominic Cummings has been specifically referenced as being an individual about which we do not wish to hear.
3. That others have received warnings (of the same level) for posting jibes about this figure, and that by not taking action here we would be applying the rule inconsistently.
It really isn't about a desire on our behalf to defend this man from ridicule or criticism (there have, for instance, been many more anti-Corbyn jibes removed). It's the fact that we have learnt from bitter experience that even the tamest joke about public figures in the political arena often brings angry responses from those holding opposing viewpoints; this in turn generates a bad atmosphere that can infect otherwise apolitical Fortean threads and drive away new and existing members, many of whom value a place of respite from the politicisation of seemingly everything.

Lest my tone carry badly, I want to make explicit that I write with conciliatory intent when I say that it's only a single warning point that has been issued for an infraction that you are hardly the first here to have made. Given the fact that everybody--including the moderators--is working at an elevated level of tension this year, we see no reason why this disagreement should remain a bone of contention beyond this very evening.

Lest my tone carry badly, I want to make explicit that I write with conciliatory intent when I say that it's only a single warning point that has been issued for an infraction that you are hardly the first here to have made. Given the fact that everybody--including the moderators--is working at an elevated level of tension this year, we see no reason why this disagreement should remain a bone of contention beyond this very evening.

Thank you Charlotte Bronte.

Yesterday (all my troubles seemed so far away).....No, I mean, yesterday......all I got when trying to look at these here forums was an error message at the top of the screen....something about database error....

Am I right in guessing that everyone was getting that?

Yesterday (all my troubles seemed so far away).....No, I mean, yesterday......all I got when trying to look at these here forums was an error message at the top of the screen....something about database error....

Am I right in guessing that everyone was getting that?
Yes, sorted now.

Back