• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

We're noticing that many users' LAST SEEN (last visit) date is wrong.

Perhaps a product of having reset from a backup, but we're not yet sure.

Regardless, it will probably correct itself as more recent vists are made.

How long ago was it that you recall having last seen it? None of the smilies in use at the old FTMB were automatically carried over during the 2018 exodus. We had to rebuild the smiley / emoji inventory from scratch.

If you can find and direct us to the one you want (or an acceptable substitute) we can look into incorporating it here.

At the risk of being too forwards - now that I'm getting to grips with the changed 'Like' options on posts, would it be at all possible (pretty please and all that) to have the middle Like smiley (the one with the > < for eyes) to be an option for putting into posts?

It would have been perfect on a post I just made.

This is the one I mean --->
1606168107148.png

At the risk of being too forwards - now that I'm getting to grips with the changed 'Like' options on posts, would it be at all possible (pretty please and all that) to have the middle Like smiley (the one with the > < for eyes) to be an option for putting into posts?
It would have been perfect on a post I just made.

This is the one I mean ---> View attachment 31788

Like this?

HaHa-Zebs.jpg

Thank you - except at the risk of being annoying, when I try to use it, I see the name of it, rather than the image, in the smilies list:

1606245665913.png

And it doesn't appear correctly when I use it: :haha-zebs:

I've tried logging out and back in again, do I need to do something else?

Thank you - except at the risk of being annoying, when I try to use it, I see the name of it, rather than the image, in the smilies list ...
And it doesn't appear correctly when I use it: :haha-zebs:
I've tried logging out and back in again, do I need to do something else?

I'll take your word for it, because none of these effects are visible to me. I'm seeing the smiley where you inserted it following the second sentence above.

Try it now, and report back whether you're seeing the same problems.

Nope still the same, I'm afraid (sorry for causing all this trouble!) I've even logged out of here, cleared all browsing history/cookies etc, closed the browser, reopened the browser and logged back in.

This screenshot of part of Gordon Rutter's post shows what I'm seeing:

1606249343345.png

:worry:

When I’m looking at both the post from Zebs and Iris I can see the smiley and when I insert the smiley on my own post I see it as soon as I’ve inserted it. Strange. Obs I can’t see it on the screenshot Zebs posted.

You'll have to wait and check it later.

No, the core databases didn't crash (per se), and it doesn't appear anything was lost or corrupted in the database(s).

Something went wrong with a session data logging file that gets updated multiple times per day. The problem apparently involved a glitch that rendered the file inaccessible or unaddressable, which forced the system to recreate the state of the log (and cumulative logs reliant on its data) from scratch on each update cycle.

The resulting error condition had already been reported, and we were awaiting resolution. In the mean time, the forum kept chugging along with a periodic limp as it repeatedly worked to catch up with itself.

The total outage occurred at the exact time one of these updates would have been undertaken. For whatever reason (an overflow condition?) the limp escalated to a collapse on that go-round, and the whole operation shut down.

The breakdown pertained to high-level administrative record keeping of traffic and transactions (i.e., visits, visitors and postings) - not to the forum's content per se.
D'oh! Who'd have thought a nuclear reactor would be so complicated?
screen-shot-2015-11-23-at-12-55-18.png

I shall have to read that opera forum thread tomorow, or when I'm next better able to take in what I'm reading (it's one of those days).

In the meantime I have tried viewing the smiley in question on my other two available browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and can report - if it helps - that I cannot see the smiley there either. Exact same problem occurs as here on Opera.

So perhaps it's my computer, but tis rather strange because it's the first smiley I've ever had problems with. Typical, as soon as I asked for it!

Really sorry to be causing all this aggro. :sorry:

I'm using Windows 10 with the latest updates and Chrome with the latest update.
Still seeing the text only.
Maybe save the icon to a file, rename it to :hahazebs: then re-upload it?

Ooh, just saw your reply as I was about to post this. Thanks for that; I wasn't sure if my measly Windows 8 was going to be the issue but it would appear not.

It's strange. Why can we see it correctly in the "like" box, but the emoji list doesn't show correctly?

They're not the same thing. The one you see in the 'Like' pop-up is a system-embedded image. It has to be captured and transformed into a generic image file to serve as a smiley / emoticon.

Back