• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well, this week's felt more like a Star Trek episode, though it is getting very Voyager - not an entirely terrible thing, because that's a decent premise. Could see the "surprise" ending coming a light year off, mind you.

Only got around to watching episode 2 yesterday.
A bit meh tbh.
It seems rather more Orville-like than the often quite dark first series, and playing up the comedy value is starting to alienate (no pun intended) me.
The ginger air-head Tilly (Mary Wiseman) gets some cringeworthy lines and simply doesn't feel right for a Star Fleet officer.
I also cannot take the permanently constipated-looking Tig Notaro seriously (not surprising, as she's a stand-up comedienne). The way she throws in 20th century anachronism gags strays almost into Red Dwarf territory.
Whilst Picard had pacing issues, at least it played things straight, was respectful to the ST canon and had far more likeable characters.
Discovery can't seem to decide whether it's going to be "real" ST or a ST spoof and I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

I really enjoyed last weeks episode. Though it was strange seeing Jake Weber as a bad guy; I struggle to see him as anyone other than Joe Dubois.

It's not often you get character development on a Star Trek show, but I like the new, refreshed Michael. The whole guilt trip thing was played out in a couple of episodes into the first season, no matter how long they prolonged it. Season 3 should have been season 1, really.

Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age, but after rolling my eyes at yet another samey alien culture in the latest STD episode, when it got to the end and everybody in the crew made up or admitted they had a problem, it was actually quite touching. Yet again, Trek tries to be morally improving, just like the old days. The Trill teen was a creepy guy, mind you.

Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age, but after rolling my eyes at yet another samey alien culture in the latest STD episode, when it got to the end and everybody in the crew made up or admitted they had a problem, it was actually quite touching. Yet again, Trek tries to be morally improving, just like the old days. The Trill teen was a creepy guy, mind you.
The moral lesson thing is really a hold-over from the Roddenbery era. It's kinda charming.

The dip in the sacred pool scene made me think of Carry on Cleo:

IMG_1136.JPG

One conversation I had a while back was about the reason Star Trek uses "Alien monocultures". We quickly realized that the mono-culture thing isn't NEW. Applying it to entire planets or interstellar civilizations is a drastic expansion, but it's just a larger scale version of a story telling device that's been used for centuries. As a story teller you don't really have time to detail the motives of every individual in the fictional setting, thus you have to put them in groups and define the groups. In the case of entire planets that might be billions of people. Yes, some people do it badly, but that's more about bad writing than the story telling device being bad. Also "Planet of Hats" is a reference to how some westerns would identify good/bad/neutral characters by the literal color of hat they wore.

Star Trek has both played "Planet of Hats" straight and subverted it though. It's just a story telling device. As a story telling device it's been used in a wide variety of ways over the years. There's the Kazon who are defined by how they have several different version of themselves, some of which are murderous thugs, and some are relatively reasonable people. But each of these separate groups has a different name. The Kazon-Ogla are the ones that are basically barbarians in space. Kazon-Nistrim are less dumb, and might negotiate... at first. But they're treacherous and often negotiate just to have an opportunity to back stab you later. The Kazon-Relora and Kazon-Pommar are practically civilized by comparison.

I felt I could have done without a mental health episode.

I dunno, realistically what they've been through must take its toll, I thought they handled it better than the Trill business.

It'd be nice to get through an episode Discovery without crying - not me, I mean the cast. I was worried the Federation would be evil when they found them, but thankfully they didn't go Blake's 7 on us, they were just officious.

[Synopsis/Review]
Brent Spiner made his name as iconic android Data on "Star Trek," but he's retreated from public life in Hollywood. He's been teaching acting at Cal State Fullerton, but when he's up for an award for his work on the show that made him famous, he mulls over a comeback, though he's reluctant to dive back in. It's a whole new Hollywood, complete with TMZ and hashtags, and Spiner isn't sure it's for him. But when his old nemesis LeVar Burton commits to the awards show, Spiner decides to jump back into Hollywood. As he makes the rounds and re-enters in the industry, he finds himself embroiled in the old feud that plagued him during the height of his fame -- and it's still bitter enough to possibly derail his re-entry into Hollywood. Directed by Sharon Everitt and written by Karen Anderson, Jeff Cosgrove and Everitt, this spiky short comedy has a scope and ambition rare in a genre where punchline skits and sketches dominate. The storytelling is character-based, driven by its protagonist's drive to prove himself and stake out his terrain in a hostile, competitive environment, against a long-running archenemy. Sounds serious, but when the main character is a petty, egotistical star trying to regain his past glory in an industry always looking for the shiny and new -- and you throw in some musical numbers for good measure, along with Frasier actor Peri Gilpin as Spiner's wife and a cameo by comedian Doug Benson -- the result is hilarious, entertaining and a helluva lot of fun. The film's strength rests on a great central performance by Brent Spiner, who is playing himself. But it's clearly a heightened portrait of a star who has seen better days and yet still demands the attention of current-day celebrity. Spiner the character is bitter, sarcastic, ego-driven and vainglorious. Spiner the actor is clearly enjoying himself as he sings, dances and preens, with a performance that's both utterly committed to the moment's emotion while winking at the satire of an ego that just won't let go of past glories or grudges. Spiner traipses from one scene and musical number to the next with a deliciously toxic combination of entitlement and bad attitude, and the rhythms of the storytelling are both amiably laidback yet constantly bubbling with sharply amusing observations. The visual style is also seemingly relaxed and casual as well, in the style of the handheld one-camera comedy that's great at capturing small but telling moments. These moments pile up as Spiner finally confronts his nemesis -- and rethink its long-running effect on his life when it bubbles over into humiliation. The delight of "Brentwood" is watching an iconic actor poke fun at himself and the peculiarly enduring level of stardom that being on an iconic, much-beloved show and franchise confers. Though Spiner the character has tried to move on, he's not quite where he wants to be despite all his efforts and is both hampered and seduced by his enduring fame to remain in the past. The great irony, of course, is that by lampooning himself and the grip of stardom, Spiner the actor reveals terrific range, comedic chops, and wily self-awareness -- not to mention a facility as an enjoyable song-and-dance man -- and it would be immense fun to follow this story of a former star finding his way in a new Hollywood. Which, after all, isn't so different from the old Hollywood, except with more hashtags on social media and more ways to get famous than ever.

[Synopsis/Review]
Brent Spiner made his name as iconic android Data on "Star Trek," but he's retreated from public life in Hollywood. He's been teaching acting at Cal State Fullerton, but when he's up for an award for his work on the show that made him famous, he mulls over a comeback, though he's reluctant to dive back in. It's a whole new Hollywood, complete with TMZ and hashtags, and Spiner isn't sure it's for him. But when his old nemesis LeVar Burton commits to the awards show, Spiner decides to jump back into Hollywood. As he makes the rounds and re-enters in the industry, he finds himself embroiled in the old feud that plagued him during the height of his fame -- and it's still bitter enough to possibly derail his re-entry into Hollywood. Directed by Sharon Everitt and written by Karen Anderson, Jeff Cosgrove and Everitt, this spiky short comedy has a scope and ambition rare in a genre where punchline skits and sketches dominate. The storytelling is character-based, driven by its protagonist's drive to prove himself and stake out his terrain in a hostile, competitive environment, against a long-running archenemy. Sounds serious, but when the main character is a petty, egotistical star trying to regain his past glory in an industry always looking for the shiny and new -- and you throw in some musical numbers for good measure, along with Frasier actor Peri Gilpin as Spiner's wife and a cameo by comedian Doug Benson -- the result is hilarious, entertaining and a helluva lot of fun. The film's strength rests on a great central performance by Brent Spiner, who is playing himself. But it's clearly a heightened portrait of a star who has seen better days and yet still demands the attention of current-day celebrity. Spiner the character is bitter, sarcastic, ego-driven and vainglorious. Spiner the actor is clearly enjoying himself as he sings, dances and preens, with a performance that's both utterly committed to the moment's emotion while winking at the satire of an ego that just won't let go of past glories or grudges. Spiner traipses from one scene and musical number to the next with a deliciously toxic combination of entitlement and bad attitude, and the rhythms of the storytelling are both amiably laidback yet constantly bubbling with sharply amusing observations. The visual style is also seemingly relaxed and casual as well, in the style of the handheld one-camera comedy that's great at capturing small but telling moments. These moments pile up as Spiner finally confronts his nemesis -- and rethink its long-running effect on his life when it bubbles over into humiliation. The delight of "Brentwood" is watching an iconic actor poke fun at himself and the peculiarly enduring level of stardom that being on an iconic, much-beloved show and franchise confers. Though Spiner the character has tried to move on, he's not quite where he wants to be despite all his efforts and is both hampered and seduced by his enduring fame to remain in the past. The great irony, of course, is that by lampooning himself and the grip of stardom, Spiner the actor reveals terrific range, comedic chops, and wily self-awareness -- not to mention a facility as an enjoyable song-and-dance man -- and it would be immense fun to follow this story of a former star finding his way in a new Hollywood. Which, after all, isn't so different from the old Hollywood, except with more hashtags on social media and more ways to get famous than ever.

I worked with Spiner in NY theater in the late 70's. He is a superlative song and dance man, comic, and was at that point a very nice person, very capable of laughing at himself. He was also a skilled portrait sketch artist, and somewhere buried I have his sketch of one of his fellow-actors who also went on to TV stardom (obviously not as bright a stardom because I forget his name. Or maybe he just didn't do ST...) Always makes me feel good to see him perform now, sometimes good things happen to good people.

STD: If Bones had comes across so many people tearful, hugging and crying on duty, he’d have checked for a hostile alien source. I have to write this down as previous experience has taught me I more or less forget each episode soon after watching. I really liked Discovery but this series is boring, forgettable and tedious beyond belief.

I think this was the cheapo episode, hence the abundance of chit-chat. Agreed on the crying, it's not just once an episode, it's in every other scene, it's getting ridiculous.

Also, is Tilly really officer material? Why does this show feel the need to big her up at every opportunity? Something else that's getting ridiculous.

I was onboard with season 3 for the first few episodes, but my interest is waning again.

Also, is Tilly really officer material? Why does this show feel the need to big her up at every opportunity? Something else that's getting ridiculous.

I was onboard with season 3 for the first few episodes, but my interest is waning again.
One interesting nuance is that it's described as "acting first officer". Thus it's not permanent. Still makes me wonder what the plan is though.

Pretty well the point I made a few posts above.
As for the fish-faced alien officer, popping up randomely and saying "oh-oh! This isn't the science lab!" and interrupting Michael and Book's snogging session, I thought this was descending into Orville (or Carry On) style farce.
Thought he was going to suddenly materialise between Culber and @Albinokid (that is the name of his band) in their bed scene.
The only characters I find myself warming to are Philippa Georgiou and the cat.

Please bring Picard back soon!

Last edited:
Given just how strongly the last season ended - which was, I thought, brilliant - this one has gone off very awkwardly. I completely understand why they had to make the leap to the future, given that it would wreck the whole TOS evolution and continuity onwards if Discovery inhabited the same timeline, and that affords it a degree of the aloneness that drove TOS, DS9 and Voyager, but they need to get this burn thing either dealt with or more interesting. Way too much chat in this week's, I just hope it's justified by a solid progression afterwards ( It's the recurring theme in the entire Trek canon that I've always found tedious, the one about warring factions. The whole Klingon bollocks in TNG, just gets old very quickly. I hope this doesn't go the same way.)
I'm sure it's something to do with the dark matter thing, when she went from thick irritant to scatty-but-brilliant irritant. There's going to be a side effect, or a revelation, or she was inadvertantly responsible for the burn, or something. The more senior she is the more potential for peril and/or damage.

Amen on the Klingon bollocks, whenever one of those episodes came up the heart sank. But yeah, I'm hoping they're playing a long game on Disco and there's a neato payoff.

Given just how strongly the last season ended - which was, I thought, brilliant - this one has gone off very awkwardly. I completely understand why they had to make the leap to the future, given that it would wreck the whole TOS evolution and continuity onwards if Discovery inhabited the same timeline, and that affords it a degree of the aloneness that drove TOS, DS9 and Voyager, but they need to get this burn thing either dealt with or more interesting. Way too much chat in this week's, I just hope it's justified by a solid progression afterwards ( It's the recurring theme in the entire Trek canon that I've always found tedious, the one about warring factions. The whole Klingon bollocks in TNG, just gets old very quickly. I hope this doesn't go the same way.)

I'm sure it's something to do with the dark matter thing, when she went from thick irritant to scatty-but-brilliant irritant. There's going to be a side effect, or a revelation, or she was inadvertantly responsible for the burn, or something. The more senior she is the more potential for peril and/or damage.

The weakest episode in the best season so far. The season just feels more rounded and less earnest than the other two. Introducing the love interest has softened Burnham which was needed as she just wasn't that engaging.

Watched episode 7 - Unification III, late last night.
Easily the best episode in a generally disappointing series so far.
Thankfully, the attempts at goofy humour were largely discarded and we were finally treated to a genuinely meaningful mission.
Was great to see the real Spock, in some footage from TOS too.
Still don't buy Tilly as first officer, but episode 7 may just have salvaged a pretty poor third series and has rekindled my interest in this somewhat patchy franchise.

Just watched the latest episode of Discovery. And just about forgotten it. There was something about someone declaring their pronouns (as if they wouldn’t have been previously mentioned by HR, seeing as pronouns are so important) and a cello and piano duet and then some little ship took out a fully-tooled up enemy ship everyone was scared of but after that I couldn’t really find it within me to give one shit. A bit like the writers of this show I feel.

Just watched the latest episode of Discovery. And just about forgotten it. There was something about someone declaring their pronouns (as if they wouldn’t have been previously mentioned by HR, seeing as pronouns are so important) and a cello and piano duet and then some little ship took out a fully-tooled up enemy ship everyone was scared of but after that I couldn’t really find it within me to give one shit. A bit like the writers of this show I feel.

The pronouns scene was indeed cringeworthy and alluded to a pet hate of mine I posted to the words you never want to hear thread.
After last week's enjoyable episode, this felt like a bit of a squandered opportunity.
Hoots of derision at the David v Goliath space shoot-out that made Star Wars seem believable.
Phillipa's malaise was quite intriguing though and the Andorian's cat wrangling skills were amusing.
Could the punch-up with the ridiculously exaggerated sound effects have been a hat-tip to some of Kirk's fisticuffs in TOS?
Hope the finale raises the game a bit.

Heh, the pronouns thing is a violation of the duck equivalency principle and thus unlikely to actually get paid attention to by most.

IE if you look like a woman people will address you as "she" simply because your appearance is the only thing they have to ascertain your gender by.

It's one of those things where friends and acquaintances might do it... no one else has time to try and remember your favorite pronoun.

Back