• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Worst Movie EVER?

2001: A Space Odyssey. This film bored me to tears. I'm not being a troll like I was accused of on the old IMDb forums. The lawyer Vincent Bugliosi coined the phrase 'Toscaninni of Tedium' in the Manson trial amd I could almost swear that this film was what he had in mind.

There's (thankfully) no law to say we all have to like the same thing, personally I like it and but I can understand why others don’t.
Not everyone has this attitufde.

According to some on the previously-mentioned IMDb forums, there was something very seriously wrong with you if you did not just absolutely LOVE this enthralling cinematic masterpiece.

Sorry, but I didn't care for it at all.

Not everyone has this attitufde.

According to some on the previously-mentioned IMDb forums, there was something very seriously wrong with you if you did not just absolutely LOVE this enthralling cinematic masterpiece.

Sorry, but I didn't care for it at all.
I liked 2001 well enough. It was visually stunning at the time. But with so much fast paced media demanding my attention these days, I doubt I'd ever watch it again.

I had to look him up and yes. He's been in some other decent stuff by the looks of it. He reminds me (performance wise) a bit of Bruce Campbell ..

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0342399/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

He's J.J. Abrams' "mascot", they were childhood friends and J.J. puts Greg in all his projects (kind of like how Campbell would be in Raimi's projects, I suppose). He seems to be a pretty great guy, by all accounts.

He's J.J. Abrams' "mascot", they were childhood friends and J.J. puts Greg in all his projects (kind of like how Campbell would be in Raimi's projects, I suppose). He seems to be a pretty great guy, by all accounts.

Campbell was also part of the crew in a lot of Raimi films. As well as being in front of the camera he was variously co-producer, executive producer, and cinematographer up until Army of Darkness. It's only after 2000 he slips into the cameo roles in Raimi films.

Grunberg only does acting.

Excellent Catherine Bray essay documentary on BBC4 tonight about guilty pleasures and why we shouldn't feel guilty about pleasure at all. Stuff like Plan 9 from Outer Space, The Room, Jaws: The Revenge, Cats, Showgirls, 1990: The Bronx Warriors, Xanadu but also bringing in matters maybe we should feel guilty about, such as Chinatown's director, or Black Panther's ruthless corporate practices funding it, or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back's producer. Refreshingly, she doesn't call for problematic films to be banned, just considered and learned from. It's really good! On iPlayer.

Excellent Catherine Bray essay documentary on BBC4 tonight about guilty pleasures and why we shouldn't feel guilty about pleasure at all. Stuff like Plan 9 from Outer Space, The Room, Jaws: The Revenge, Cats, Showgirls, 1990: The Bronx Warriors, Xanadu but also bringing in matters maybe we should feel guilty about, such as Chinatown's director, or Black Panther's ruthless corporate practices funding it, or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back's producer. Refreshingly, she doesn't call for problematic films to be banned, just considered and learned from. It's really good! On iPlayer.

So who did what then?

Is that like Vera, but with fewer clothes?
That might have been more entertaining. It's difficult to describe how unerotic it is, and the only way it could be described as horror is in so far as it's horrible.

The opening was actually quite good. I feel a little bad criticising it when I didn't finish it. But it was too terrible to watch any more.

So who did what then?

Chinatown's director was Roman Polanski, who raped a child, Disney - well, take a look at the Star Wars thread for their shenanigans, and Jay and Silent Bob was produced by Harvey Weinstein, who was convicted of multiple sexual assaults.

Chinatown's director was Roman Polanski, who raped a child, Disney - well, take a look at the Star Wars thread for their shenanigans, and Jay and Silent Bob was produced by Harvey Weinstein, who was convicted of multiple sexual assaults.

Ahh, I was looking at John Houston - of course, he starred in it not directed it.

Campbell was also part of the crew in a lot of Raimi films. As well as being in front of the camera he was variously co-producer, executive producer, and cinematographer up until Army of Darkness. It's only after 2000 he slips into the cameo roles in Raimi films.

Grunberg only does acting.
If you are acting, a producer credit means you were involved in funding, or you negotiated to be one of the people who walks up to accept the best picture award. It's just about impossible to envision someone who both performs in any significant role and is also cinematographer.

There was a man - Piers Gaveston - who was a very close friend of the King's son. He may or may not have been gay.
He was executed, just not by being thrown out of a window.
Actually - there is no contemporary evidence at all for behavior or method of death for either Gaveston or E2. It could easily be well-after-the-fact political propaganda. Hasn't gathered the publicity that R3 has. But it gave Shakespeare a great plot.

If you are acting, a producer credit means you were involved in funding, or you negotiated to be one of the people who walks up to accept the best picture award. It's just about impossible to envision someone who both performs in any significant role and is also cinematographer.

I don't suppose you've seen the early Raimi films, have you?

I began watching the first one once but got bored.
Very low budget. Everyone pitched in. From memory of his autobiography he helped build sets kept an eye on the cew and got behind the camera. Later he pitched in on the artistic side of things hence the co-producer tag.

He never really added to the finace as he was skint for years.

Very low budget. Everyone pitched in. From memory of his autobiography he helped build sets kept an eye on the cew and got behind the camera. Later he pitched in on the artistic side of things hence the co-producer tag.

He never really added to the finace as he was skint for years.
I imagine I'll try again sometime. I just have no patience with spam in a cabin flics.

But coincidentally, I just discovered with delight that one of the US streaming services is showing Xena through Christmas. Nice to see it again, and I had no idea it was a Sam Raimi project. Give the man a budget and he can certainly spend it nicely.

I'm just watching the Taron Egerton version of Robin Hood. Anyone who says Prince of Thieves is bad, should watch this one.

Eraserhead-trailer-screenshot-1-600x362.png

U WOT, MATE?

Eraserhead, what a pile of unwatchable dung!

It takes you on a journey - horrible. without a doubt. Turn it off, when you can take no more; it's your choice.

The gesture could be made, way back, by flouncing out of the cinema - it was quite the thing to do.

For many, Eraserhead is unwatchable; I can understand that. Projecting dung at the screen is just a bit primitive, as a reaction.

Last edited:
@titch isn't a Sassenach! Neither am I, and what I say about Braveheart is that it's exactly what you'd expect a religious maniac with a messiah complex and serious bigotry issues to make. And then he made The Passion of the Christ...

I was living in Scotland when Braveheart was released. We treat it as a bit of a joke now, and it tends to be looked at askance even by my most nationalist of Scottish friends these days - but I recall at the time people being interviewed on the radio as they left cinemas, and it was not so much of a joke then. Some were very angry, and even in tears. I recall one sobbing woman saying that she'd never understood why Scots were supposed to hate the English so much...until she'd seen the movie. And that was not an isolated attitude.

It seems to me - as an English born Brit who has worked and lived on and off in Scotland for the last thirty years, that there was a spike in anti-English feeling in the mid-90's. It's certainly the only time I've ever experienced really serious grief - a period where every pisshead seemed to think that they were a cross between William Wallace and Begbie, and that it was their solemn duty to bridle at any hint of an English accent.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that Braveheart was responsible for that spike, but it definitely fed a fire - and I think Gibson is enough of a bigot to know exactly what it was he was doing. I've tried to watch it since, and see the funny side - but I hate that fucking movie.

(It seems to me that it's also staggeringly patronising to the Scots, and Scottish history in general.)

Last edited:
I think the only movie I have ever flounced out of is Manhattan. Love early Wood Allen, Sleeper, Love and Death, Play it Again Sam, but the later stuff... not for me.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - All that hype and it was like "they're flying around on wires?" I'd seen lots of kungfu movies and was completely underwhelmed by that film.

Back