• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

I was watching BBC breakfast news this morning, and there was a story about British Airways retiring their remaining 2 jumbo jets.

I glanced at the clock, and rather pleasingly, it was exactly 13 minutes to 8.

I'll leave that with you a minute.

Last edited:
There's nothing that says he had to live long enough to see his grandchildren. Once he'd sired one child, he was basically all set to achieve grandparent status, even if posthumously.

Yes - I was thinking he was alive.

This morning a friend sent me Facebook message saying someone'd told him he knew me and would send a photo to prove it. I hadn't heard of this mutual friend so I looked up the name; no faces rang a bell.

The friend then sent me the photo which was of an item of food that sounds like the name. (A 'Mr Q. Cumber' type of thing.)

I'd been had! :chuckle:

Sent the joke onto another friend who lives miles away. She rang me right away as she actually knows someone of that ridiculous name.

What're the chances, eh! :eek:

This morning a friend sent me Facebook message saying someone'd told him he knew me and would send a photo to prove it. I hadn't heard of this mutual friend so I looked up the name; no faces rang a bell.

The friend then sent me the photo which was of an item of food that sounds like the name. (A 'Mr Q. Cumber' type of thing.)

I'd been had! :chuckle:

Sent the joke onto another friend who lives miles away. She rang me right away as she actually knows someone of that ridiculous name.

What're the chances, eh! :eek:
My mum did this to me with Scott Chegge. She ruined the joke by sending me a random picture of face inside a scotch egg first though.

I'm at work and was irritating the guys (they tolerate me lol) by humming part of a song tune and asking them what is the song, who sings that? Of course I could only hum a couple of bars with nothing coming to mind.

I asked the one gentleman if I could change the tv station to a music station to liven up the day. He's been watching the snow come down saying "gddnm" every half an hour and that's what I also have been thinking.

He agreed and when I put on the 80's channel, a few songs later, the one I was thinking of was Aha!

Lol

I'm at work and was irritating the guys (they tolerate me lol) by humming part of a song tune and asking them what is the song, who sings that? Of course I could only hum a couple of bars with nothing coming to mind.

I asked the one gentleman if I could change the tv station to a music station to liven up the day. He's been watching the snow come down saying "gddnm" every half an hour and that's what I also have been thinking.

He agreed and when I put on the 80's channel, a few songs later, the one I was thinking of was Aha!

Lol

Actually, it's one of the few music videos that I enjoy. When most music videos became more of just the singers singing and less of any attempt at creativity, I quickly bored of them. I have seen few music videos. I kind of tuned them out following Michael Jackson's Thriller. Now THAT'S a music video.

Lol
The buses in Ho Chi Minh city part the streams of motorcycles like sharks swimming through shoals of fish. One morning, a bus driver played exactly that riff on the horn as he ploughed his furrow down the main road. It drove me crazy, I couldn't place it for days.

The other day I was in the house and started singing the first verse of The Show Must Go On to myself. About twenty seconds later the Amazon advert which features a version of said song came on the the TV.

About an hour ago, I was browsing on here and found a clip of an old Spike Milligan show, making fun of the odd tribe of Cock-on-Knees. It featured the famous rhyming-slang apples & pears = stairs.

Now, Radio 4 is repeating an old Just a Minute show. The first round has the subject "Apples & Pears!"

I think I can post this before the round ends! o_O

I have a kitchen gadget that I use a lot but is getting past it. Bought a newer one at the weekend for £5 from a Facebook seller. Today a friend offered me one identical to the newer one, so I now have three!

It's possible to be a grandparent by the time one is thirty, tho' it's not recommended.
I was 48 when the first of the four grandsons dropped in. I thought that was young, but then realised my wayward sister delivered my first nephew when my mum was 37.

I recently ordered an item that features a large image of an octopus. The day it arrived was the day I heard the Netflix special "My Octopus Teacher" announced on the radio.
No, I don't subscribe to any streaming video--

A remarkable coincidence on Wednesday at work.

The background: I spent about 37 years in a job dealing with customers by phone and in person in their homes, then took early retirement and now work 3 days a week in a customer service role taking an average of just over 50 phone calls a day. I have spoken to thousands of customers.

On Wednesday, I had a phone call from a Mr Derham. I noticed his surname because it is fairly unusual, and because I used to live near East Dereham and I have the sort of mind that makes quick associations between words that have similarities. Of course, I cannot be certain, but I'm pretty sure that in roughly 40 years in the workplace, I had never spoken to anyone of that name before. I would have noticed because of the similarity to Dereham.

My very next call (I keep a list of calls received and it was literally the next call) was from Mrs Derham. She had no reference number but offered me a postcode. I started to say, "Oh, I've got the reference here on my pad from when Mr Derham just called" before I realised that she had given a postcode for a different area of the country.

So, roughly 40 years without ever speaking to someone of that name, then two in a row, completely independently of each other.

From the wikipedia page on Robert Todd Lincoln, the longest-living of Abraham Lincoln's children:

He was eyewitness to two presidential assassinations (those of McKinley and Garfield -- he wasn't there when his father died). On top of that, he had his life saved from a railway accident by a passing stranger, who turned out to be Edwin Booth, the brother of his father's assassin John Wilkes Booth.

The incident occurred while a group of passengers were late at night purchasing their sleeping car places from the conductor who stood on the station platform at the entrance of the car. The platform was about the height of the car floor, and there was of course a narrow space between the platform and the car body. There was some crowding, and I happened to be pressed by it against the car body while waiting my turn. In this situation the train began to move, and by the motion I was twisted off my feet, and had dropped somewhat, with feet downward, into the open space, and was personally helpless, when my coat collar was vigorously seized and I was quickly pulled up and out to a secure footing on the platform. Upon turning to thank my rescuer I saw it was Edwin Booth, whose face was of course well known to me, and I expressed my gratitude to him, and in doing so, called him by name.

From the wikipedia page on Robert Todd Lincoln, the longest-living of Abraham Lincoln's children:

He was eyewitness to two presidential assassinations (those of McKinley and Garfield -- he wasn't there when his father died). On top of that, he had his life saved from a railway accident by a passing stranger, who turned out to be Edwin Booth, the brother of his father's assassin John Wilkes Booth.
Good job he wasn’t at his fathers assassination otherwise questions might have been asked. Present at three presidential assassinations? A coincidence you say?

The last post I read in the IHTM Forum was in the Funny And/Or Weird Happenings Whilst Drunk thread:
Man gets wasted, legally changes name to Celine Dion
(posted by EnolaGaia Jan. 1)

The very next thread I checked was Fortean Headlines in the Fortean News Forum. Immediately I saw:
Man gets wasted, legally changes name to Celine Dion
(posted by Lord Lucan Jan. 1)

Great minds think alike.

Even more coincidentally, when I looked at some of the linked articles to see where "Celine" is from, he lives no more than about 10 miles from me, in a village which has (for mundane reasons, really) been much in my mind recently!

Earlier I was watching YouTube on my TV and a video about Clark Gable came up. It detailed his gum problems which caused the loss most of his teeth and the need for dentures by the age of 36.

He also had very bad breath. His female co-stars disliked getting close to him because of it.

I hadn't known about this and was highly amused.

Now I'm watching the recent adaptation of Blithe Spirit. The protagonist is a screenwriter and his wife suggests Clark Gable as the star of his next big work. The producer replies 'Good actor, terrible breath. Very tricky for the leading ladies.'

If i hadn't seen the video about Gable I'd've thought this was made up!

tl:dr - Two mentions of Clark Gable's bad breath in short order.

Approximately 22 hours ago I posted in the RIP thread about the death of long-time character actor Peter Mark Richman:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/rest-in-peace-the-r-i-p-thread.30162/post-2027362

Tonight I turn on the TV to catch a vintage Twilight Zone episode, and it's the episode in which he's in the lead role ...

The Fear
Season 5 | Episode 35 (May 1964)

Trooper Scott Franklin stops by Charlotte Scott's remote cabin to see if she's alright. She is a big city fashion editor who is looking for peace and quiet while Franklin is a local who sees her as a snob. They are soon drawn to together when a giant creature seems to appear in the woods just outside Charlotte's cabin. Franklin's patrol car is overturned and her telephone is suddenly out of order. Together, they will have to overcome their fears and deal with the extra-terrestrial creature that has appeared, which turns out to be something altogether unexpected.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734638/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_128

Together, they will have to overcome their fears and deal with the extra-terrestrial creature that has appeared, which turns out to be something altogether unexpected.
It must have been love.

Back