• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts (Sitcom)

I laughed more in the first half than the second, but it was quite sweet, and really cheering that they had a Christmas Special at all. The "letting your parents help out (or take over) while they can" message was very poignant.

At least we got the back story of the "pantsdown" MP, to show that, behind the amoral and hypocritical façade, he had a heart of sorts after all.
For me, the best of the backstories was Thomas Thorne in the last series. Loved the bit where his impossibly romantic description of his demise was rapidly deflated by Robin the Neanderthal's "that not how it happened!".
Hope they do an episode dedicated to Robin's back story, as I've always been intrigued by the old adage that we never see ghosts of cavemen.

I enjoyed it. I agree it wasn't the funniest episode they have done, though there were still laughs, but it was really likeable and sweet.

Just caught up on all this. Really loved it. Loved the writing, the characters and the actors. The Christmas one wasn't the best but was still funny. Glad Julian has a heart after all. Difficult to pick a favourite ghost (Kitty?) or a favourite episode but the one where we hear the captain's backstory was especially good. Fanny's lustings for Mike had me shrieking with laughter!
I've always thought Kitty died playing hide and seek, she accidentally got locked in somewhere people forgot about her.

This seemed to be hinted at when she said something about her sister saying she was good at hiding.

We still don't know how the captain died, or have I missed that?
No we didn't hear about his death. Think we also have Kitty, Mary and Robin's deaths to hear about? I have a feeling Kitty's story might be the saddest since she is such a sweet character. My theory is that the sister is a half sister. Kitty wasn't allowed to meet other people on account of being, you know black which is why she is so naive. Sister "plays" hide and seek with her one day as you suggest and never finds her.

I think we are also just assuming that Mary was burnt as a witch? But since she doesn't want to talk about it, it could have been anything. She might have set herself on fire lowping the needfyre or whatever her folk did in those days!

Just caught up on all this. Really loved it. Loved the writing, the characters and the actors. The Christmas one wasn't the best but was still funny. Glad Julian has a heart after all. Difficult to pick a favourite ghost (Kitty?) or a favourite episode but the one where we hear the captain's backstory was especially good. Fanny's lustings for Mike had me shrieking with laughter!

No we didn't hear about his death. Think we also have Kitty, Mary and Robin's deaths to hear about? I have a feeling Kitty's story might be the saddest since she is such a sweet character. My theory is that the sister is a half sister. Kitty wasn't allowed to meet other people on account of being, you know black which is why she is so naive. Sister "plays" hide and seek with her one day as you suggest and never finds her.

I think we are also just assuming that Mary was burnt as a witch? But since she doesn't want to talk about it, it could have been anything. She might have set herself on fire lowping the needfyre or whatever her folk did in those days!
The captain must have died at Button House so not in battle. I suppose a stray bomb could have got the house. But it seems miles from everywhere so unlikely, unless they knew there were important things going on there.

I do wonder if some horribly family members where behind Kitty’s demise.

The captain must have died at Button House so not in battle. I suppose a stray bomb could have got the house. But it seems miles from everywhere so unlikely, unless they knew there were important things going on there.
There is no mark on him which makes any sort of a violent death unlikely I think. I reckon it will turn out to have something to do with his stiff joints. Though it is hard to guess what.

I think Mary has said she was burnt as a witch, that's why she's a bit sooty and smells of ashes (or something).

I think if we found out why Kitty died it might overbalance the humour into tragedy! But it can't have been good.

I think Mary has said she was burnt as a witch, that's why she's a bit sooty and smells of ashes (or something).

I think if we found out why Kitty died it might overbalance the humour into tragedy! But it can't have been good.
I’m wondering if Kitty was some kind of Mistletoe bride misadventure.

The Captain, what kind of death leave no trace? Couldn’t have shot himself we’d see or poison, but doesn’t seem like he would do himself in. Then something natural like a heart attack or aneurysm. But then why hang around if it’s natural. I suppose he still wanted to do his bit.

Ah yes, she might have said that right at the start. Maybe I had better watch them again? :)
Yes, it depends how sad they want to get but there has been some pretty sad stuff already. The hints Kitty has given about her life don't bode well!
I’m wondering if Kitty was some kind of Mistletoe bride misadventure.
Not sure what that means? :shy:

Ah yes, she might have said that right at the start. Maybe I had better watch them again? :)
Yes, it depends how sad they want to get but there has been some pretty sad stuff already. The hints Kitty has given about her life don't bode well!

Not sure what that means? :shy:
BAB759DC-7766-45A4-BD5E-673C2DFA1C30.jpeg

Well, it has a grim poetry to it... I think I know that story, just not as "the Mistletoe Bride".

I recently rewatched both series and Mary's burning and reluctance to talk about it was initially referenced in the first episode. I loved her surprise and pleasure that the baby "made it till morning"

I also thought the way they did the carol was a nice touch; we the audience hear all the harmonies but for Mike and his family it's only Alison singing.

It made me feel LOADS better about my family gatherings. I think I will take that lesson to heart about dealing with difficult family during the holidays.

It's quite an accomplishment how this show got me invested in the characters in the first episode. Well done. [FYI: I'm in the US so I have to access the show in less than scrupulous ways.]

Back