• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Angel, devil and blood-red heart appear at Martian south pole

It's summer at the south pole of Mars, and the angels and devils are coming out to play. You can see them both in a stunning new image of the recently thawed pole, taken by the European Space Agency (ESA). ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/martian-angel-satellite-image.html

My guess is "no", because the canonical 'Pioneer anomaly' alludes to the spacecrafts' rate of acceleration rather than any deviation in trajectory.
Acceleration is a change in trajectory. A moving target that you would have hit, but dont because you speed up, would be an example. In this case a space probe would be in a slightly different location vis a vis gravity wells, which would have an effect.

Similar to the spin of an object that does not have its center of gravity in the middle. The center of gravity of a probe could be very slightly farther or closer than the expected distance, resulting in the gravitational attraction between the probe and the solar gravity well being oh so slightly different than expected, which would affect velocity.

When I alluded to trajectory I was referring to a path followed. I've never heard of velocity / speed being considered an intrinsic or defining component of a trajectory, though it's certainly true velocity can help determine a trajectory's characteristics (e.g., distance thrown or flown)

When I alluded to trajectory I was referring to a path followed. I've never heard of velocity / speed being considered an intrinsic or defining component of a trajectory, though it's certainly true velocity can help determine a trajectory's characteristics (e.g., distance thrown or flown)
I'm sure my wording/phrasing is incorrect, hopefully the idea was clear.

It all sounds like a load of ballistics to me.

Massive Prehistoric Crocodile “Swamp King” Emerges From South East Queensland

A prehistoric croc measuring more than five metres long — dubbed the ‘swamp king’ — ruled south eastern Queensland waterways only a few million years ago.

University of Queensland researchers identified the new species of prehistoric croc — which they named Paludirex vincenti — from fossils first unearthed in the 1980s. ...

FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/massive-pr...wamp-king-emerges-from-south-east-queensland/

He wanted a tidbit for Christmas dinner, maybe.

How Bra-wearing Pigeons Saved Thousands of Lives During WWII

In December 1944, undergarment manufacturer Maidenform ditched peddling their usual wares in favor of a government contract to make 28,500 pigeon vests, according to the National Museum of American History.

The vests themselves could be attached to American paratroopers and were made out “of porous materials, with a tighter woven fabric underneath so the pigeon’s claws would not damage the mesh,” the NMAH wrote. “The vest was shaped to the body of the pigeon, leaving their head, neck, wing tips, tail, and feet exposed.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...ing-pigeons-saved-thousands-of-lives-in-wwii/

maximus otter

Well, this is one way to begin a new year:

Man gets drunk and legally changes name to Celine Dion
A Celine Dion super fan who drunkenly changed his name to hers says he is in no rush to change it back.

Thomas Dodd had too much to drink while watching the Canadian singer's concert over Christmas and days later paid £89 as he officially took her name.

Luckily his Heart Will Go On as he and all his mates can see the funny side although maybe he will Think Twice next time.

It's All Coming Back to Thomas, aged 30, a hospitality manager from Clifton Campville near Tamworth and Lichfield, who said: "I am slightly obsessed with her, I’m not going to lie.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news...gally-changes-name-to-celine-dion/ar-BB1coESa

Surely, to be correct, the original article should be written thusly?

A Celine Dion super fan who drunkenly changed his name to hers says he is in no rush to change it back.
Celine Dion had too much to drink while watching the Canadian singer's concert over Christmas and days later paid £89 as he officially took her name.
(etc)

Surely, to be correct, the original article should be written thusly?

Celine Dion had too much to drink while watching the Canadian singer's concert over Christmas and days later paid £89 as he officially took her name.
(etc)
As far as I can work this out, he paid £8.99 for a name change by deed poll (I just googled it) and then before sobering up, he must have applied for name changes on 8 documents (driving licence, insurance, council tax, bank account, NI, utilities etc) at £10 each. Just the gender re-designation to go so he can insist on being referred to as Ms Celine Dion. The real mystery to me is why anyone would openly admit to being a Dion fan.

As far as I can work this out, he paid £8.99 for a name change by deed poll (I just googled it) and then before sobering up, he must have applied for name changes on 8 documents (driving licence, insurance, council tax, bank account, NI, utilities etc) at £10 each. Just the gender re-designation to go so he can insist on being referred to as Ms Celine Dion. The real mystery to me is why anyone would openly admit to being a Dion fan.
He can't have been that drunk, to have made the effort of doing so many things. It must have been deliberate - the 'I was drunk at the time' excuse won't wash with me.

He can't have been that drunk, to have made the effort of doing so many things. It must have been deliberate - the 'I was drunk at the time' excuse won't wash with me.
Stone cold sober I can't find my insurance papers (car and bike), driving licence, NI number, Bank account details, Premium bonds, Broadband account, Eon account, Council tax, Birth Certificate etc. Can't even find the TV remote.

Stone cold sober I can't find my insurance papers (car and bike), driving licence, NI number, Bank account details, Premium bonds, Broadband account, Eon account, Council tax, Birth Certificate etc. Can't even find the TV remote.
Wow, even I can find some of those things!

Back