• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Coming to BBC4 on the11th of January at 21:00 Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema: British Comedy.

There are three episodes, the other two are pop music movies and cult movies. Something to brighten up early 2021!

Stick with it Ramon!
Ep. 4 has a wry and amusing swipe at the rivalry between NASA and SpaceX, then ep. 5 starts with a clever plot twist.

I finished ep3 and it was ok. Will watch more.

edit It wasn't so much the new character so much as Reilly was grating on my nerves, the focus shifted and his run in with the Canadians improved things.

Coming to BBC4 on the11th of January at 21:00 Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema: British Comedy.

Kermode is a few years younger than I am and I've sort of seen him grow up. Could listen to him all day.

Have the Loch Ness Monster: New Evidence showing on Quest but can't be asked to look up from my laptop. Could some-one watch it for me and tell me the highlights please.

Have the Loch Ness Monster: New Evidence showing on Quest but can't be asked to look up from my laptop. Could some-one watch it for me and tell me the highlights please.

I dipped in & out of it. It covered the whole story of LNM & more specifically the more recent investigations - Adrian Shine, the Japanese mass sonar hunt some decades ago, the man who's lived in a van on the shore for the past 30 years whose name escapes me. Loren Coleman was one of the talking heads featured.

The new evidence in the title is from one of the latest investigations in which multiple water samples were taken at various depths then analysed for DNA traces.

They found DNA from many species including land animals living nearby - deer, badgers, stoats, etc. They looked for evidence of catfish & sturgeon which were theorised as possible candidates for the LNM. They didn't find any. One of the most common DNA traces found were of eels.

I think there was a percentage [28?] which couldn't be identified.

Last edited:
I dipped in & out of it. It covered the whole story of LNM & more specifically the more recent investigations - Adrian Shine, the Japanese mass sonar hunt some decades ago, the man who's lived in a van on the shore for the past 30 years whose name escapes me. Loren Coleman was one of the talking heads featured.

The new evidence in the title is from one of the latest investigations in which multiple water samples were taken at various depths then analysed for DNA traces.

They found DNA from many species including land animals living nearby - deer, badgers, stoats, etc. They looked for evidence of catfish & sturgeon which were theorised as possible candidates for the LNM. They didn't find any. One of the most common DNA traces found were of eels.

I think there was a percentage [28?] which couldn't be identified.
The chap living at the side of the Loch is Steve Feltham.

Amazing Grace

Footage of Aretha Franklin's recording from 1972 of the most successful gospel album of all time, recorded in a church with a small band & a choir over 2 days & unreleased during her lifetime. You don't have to be religious to appreciate one of the greatest woman singers in her prime. She's a pretty good pianist as well.

Not that it's mentioned in the film but I didn't know she had 2 children by the time she was 14.

on iplayer for about a month.

Coming to Netflix January 13 - Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer

LOCK YOUR DOORS. Night Stalker: The Hunt for A Serial Killer is coming to Netflix January 13. Witness the story of one of the most vicious serial killers in American history, a real-life boogeyman that brought California to a standstill.

I enjoyed the first episode of The Serpent on BBC One. I hadn't heard of this case before watching the series. It's definitely very well made, I like the clever use of archive footage of Bangkok and how they have edited it to be spliced together with modern recreated footage.

I enjoyed the first episode of The Serpent on BBC One. I hadn't heard of this case before watching the series. It's definitely very well made, I like the clever use of archive footage of Bangkok and how they have edited it to be spliced together with modern recreated footage.

Is this about Charles Sobhraj? If so, there's an excellent book by Australian author/journalist Richard Neville called 'The Life & Crimes of Charles Sobhraj' which I highly recommend. I've spent time in Bangkok and passed by his apartment as well as some time in Pattaya, one of his favourite haunts and where a number of bodies were found.

For those in the U.K. the new series of Curse of Oak Island starts tonight, a look at what’s coming followed by a two hour episode.

That actually sounds really interesting, thanks for pointing it out. Dr Alice Roberts is good.

Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets of Orkney

Really interesting team investigation of various sites on Orkney. One thing which emerges is that carbon dating of the earliest layers in Skara Brae reveals it predates other megalithic sites in the UK including Stonehenge by around 500 years & appears to be the the start of the culture which then spread to the rest of the country.

The unique Orkney Vole, only found there, proves to have it's closest DNA match to Belgium voles. It must've been taken there by people though whether accidentally or possibly as pets is speculation.

They try moving large megalith stones & find seaweed makes an effective lubricant when dragging.

on iplayer for a month. 2 more parts to follow.

The Lost City of Z on BBC4 at 9 pm tonight. My review:

The Lost City of Z: So they do make films like that anymore. Plenty of derring-do and stiff upper lips but Colonel Percival Fawcett was no imperialist or racist and admired the Amazon natives and publicised how they were exploited. The film covers his life from 1905 in Ireland to his disappearance in the Amazon Jungle in 1925.

No giant snakes but Fortean touches include Fawcett and his sidekicks encountering an Opera production on a rubber plantation and a fortune teller predicting Fawcett's future at the Somme Front in 1916. His obsession was The Lost City of Z and it cost him and his eldest son their lives in 1925. The film suggests a possible, even likely explanation for their disappearance.

Fawcett's defence of the theory of Ancient Civilisations in the Amazon led to mockery at the Royal Geographical Society but Fawcett had the last laugh when ruins and geoglyphs were found in the Amazon Rainforest over the last ten years. Some archaeological finds were in the area suggested by Fawcett as the location for the City of Z. 8/10.

The Lost City of Z: So they do make films like that anymore. Plenty of derring-do and stiff upper lips but Colonel Percival Fawcett was no imperialist or racist and admired the Amazon natives and publicised how they were exploited. The film covers his life from 1905 in Ireland to his disappearance in the Amazon Jungle in 1925.

No giant snakes but Fortean touches include Fawcett and his sidekicks encountering an Opera production on a rubber plantation and a fortune teller predicting Fawcett's future at the Somme Front in 1916. His obsession was The Lost City of Z and it cost him and his eldest son their lives in 1925. The film suggests a possible, even likely explanation for their disappearance.

Fawcett's defence of the theory of Ancient Civilisations in the Amazon led to mockery at the Royal Geographical Society but Fawcett had the last laugh when ruins and geoglyphs were found in the Amazon Rainforest over the last ten years. Some archaeological finds were in the area suggested by Fawcett as the location for the City of Z. 8/10.
You are a lot more generous to this film than me! I have no intention of ever watching it again and I wish to know to whom I have complain to get my two hours and 21 minutes back.

You are a lot more generous to this film than me! I have no intention of ever watching it again and I wish to know to whom I have complain to get my two hours and 21 minutes back.

I'm a Psychic Vampire, I'll take the 2h 21m off Writer/Director James Gray and give it back to you.

I honestly loved the film, Charlie Hunnam was great as Fawcett, so were Tom Holland as his son Jack and Robert Pattinson as fellow explorer Henry Costin. Real old style adventure without the jingoism!

IMDb give it 6.6/10.

I started watching it earlier this evening, but quickly got the 'meh' vibe and turned it off.

Famed for being the first film graded purely in Piss-O-Vision lurid yellow.

You have to drop a line to the British Board Of Film Censors: CockWomble Division. They’re the ones who deal with movie time theft as well as scenes of CockWombling of course.

Back