• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gyroscopic Anti-Gravity / Antigravity Devices (Laithwaite, etc.)

The Heretics of Science originally broadcast in 1994.
https://www.tvtime.com/en/show/257843
Well this is a bit of a rum do - I looked at the list of episodes of The Heretics of Science and don't recognise any of them. What I remember was a series of programmes that were definitely on the BBC, because a third of the prog was devoted to the 'heretic' and his proposal and rest was spent trying to discredit it. Main argument seemed to be that somebody can't be right when they're obviously wrong.
First heard of Nelson-Rees there - he purchased a kidney cell-line from Russia and having time to spare, did a DNA profile of it and discovered it was of non-caucasian origin. Thinking this was unusual he probed deeper and discovered the cell line characteristics were completely dominated by the HeLa tumour cells used to immortalise the kidney cell culture. This possibly had major implications on all research involving cell lines (mainly cancer Research) from past 25 years as regardless of the origin of the cells, it was the HeLa cells that were being characterised. As Nelson-Rees could not be easily dismissed, the emphasis moved to his (admittedly irritating) tactic of attending a lecture, waiting for it to end and then tear into the Presenters.
Couple of weeks later I saw another prog where some-one had the temerity to question the validity of electron microscopy. He claimed that slicing a specimen on a microtome so finely that the sample has to fall on water and cast a shadow in order to see it, then freeze-drying the slice, coating it with gold atoms, placing it in a vacuum and bombard it with electrons and feed the back-scatter through interpretative software to obtain an image, contained a large collection of artifacts.
Laithwaite and his anti-mass propoal was dismissed without an alternative explanation being offered.
I've tried looking up 'Heretics' but cannot find any such series of programmes that matches what I remember.
Confabulation possibly, but I suspect not Mandela Effect so much a Bigfoot in the Botanical Gardens.

Well this is a bit of a rum do - I looked at the list of episodes of The Heretics of Science and don't recognise any of them. What I remember was a series of programmes that were definitely on the BBC, because a third of the prog was devoted to the 'heretic' and his proposal and rest was spent trying to discredit it. Main argument seemed to be that somebody can't be right when they're obviously wrong.
First heard of Nelson-Rees there - he purchased a kidney cell-line from Russia and having time to spare, did a DNA profile of it and discovered it was of non-caucasian origin. Thinking this was unusual he probed deeper and discovered the cell line characteristics were completely dominated by the HeLa tumour cells used to immortalise the kidney cell culture. This possibly had major implications on all research involving cell lines (mainly cancer Research) from past 25 years as regardless of the origin of the cells, it was the HeLa cells that were being characterised. As Nelson-Rees could not be easily dismissed, the emphasis moved to his (admittedly irritating) tactic of attending a lecture, waiting for it to end and then tear into the Presenters.
Couple of weeks later I saw another prog where some-one had the temerity to question the validity of electron microscopy. He claimed that slicing a specimen on a microtome so finely that the sample has to fall on water and cast a shadow in order to see it, then freeze-drying the slice, coating it with gold atoms, placing it in a vacuum and bombard it with electrons and feed the back-scatter through interpretative software to obtain an image, contained a large collection of artifacts.
Laithwaite and his anti-mass propoal was dismissed without an alternative explanation being offered.
I've tried looking up 'Heretics' but cannot find any such series of programmes that matches what I remember.
Confabulation possibly, but I suspect not Mandela Effect so much a Bigfoot in the Botanical Gardens.
There’s this episode of Horizon from BBC 2 on the 26th Jan 1981
Horizon
No One Will Take Me Seriously
Professor John Hasted believes he has demonstrated the existence of human para-normal powers under laboratory conditions.
Dr Harold Hillman thinks he can prove that the picture of the cell that biologists hold is merely an optical illusion produced by the electron microscope.
Professor Eric Laithwaite believes his experimental gyroscopes defy laws of gravity and motion.
The trouble is they can't get anyone to take them seriously, they are branded as scientific heretics.
At first glance science seems a rational business, but that is not always the case. There is a complex social structure designed to keep scientists on the rails. Be- cause there is more wrong thinking in science than breakthrough, radical ideas often get brutal treat- ment. Does gravity come in waves? Are quarks really free? How does an Einstein convince his colleagues he is right? Will one of our heroes be vindicated after all? Narrator PAUL VAUGHAN
Film editor DAVID MINGAY
Editor SIMON CAMPBELL-JONEl Written and produced by JON PALFREMAN and JEREMY TAYLORContributors
Unknown: Professor John Hasted
Unknown: Dr Harold Hillman
Unknown: Professor Eric Laithwaite
Narrator: Paul Vaughan
Editor: David Mingay
Editor: Simon Campbell-Jonel
Produced By: Jon Palfreman
Produced By: Jeremy Taylor

If you want to get more up to date with the role of gyroscopes, or in particular the effects of discs rotated at ultra high speeds, get Nick Cook's book The Hunt for Zero Point. Still in print or there are a few cheaper copies on Abe.

Back