• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yeah, I think this unlikely. The only window in the kitchen is the one in the roof and it doesn't open. Other windows in the house are occasionally opened of course, but at the time in question they were all closed.

In any case ZebraPup1 and/or ZebraPup2 would soon let us know if there was a feline interloper in the house :)
Obvious innit? The thing you have both been seeing has been living in the empty tin and thrown a complete wobbler because it's been outed on the forum.

Wow. Green hats turning blue.

My car is an oldish Rover in 'British Racing Green', which from a distance, in daylight, often appears blue. I have taken photos of it naughtily being a blue car when it thinks I'm not looking.

It must be an illusion, as it happens when I look back at it across as expanse of grass when I walk my dogs.

The hat, though - if there were two customers buying hats, could the assistants have mixed them up? Just an idea.
I bought a brown knitted jumper and when i got outside it was green! When i got home it was brown again, im guessing the dye reacts differently in different light but it was weird.

The old orange 'sodium' street lights, due to the wavelength of the light they produce, mess with colours.
Blue cars look green, or black, depending.
I guess its the same for clothing.
They always say ('they'?) that when you're buying clothes in a shop that you don't really know what colour they are until you get them outside in proper daylight.

Ive just been reminded, or i should say i have just remembered a couple of strange instances of missing/gaining time. The first happened many years ago, i was working at a well known pet supermarket and had a good 30 minute cycle to work and back each day, one morning i was woken, as usual by my alarm clock and after my morning ablutions got dressed and left for work, as i was nearing the shop i glanced at my watch to see if i had time for a tea before i started work and saw i was nearly an hour late for work! It was not in spring at the time clocks go forward and my clock, when got home was correct with the alarm set for my usual time. Im certain i looked at my watch a few times on my way upto me noticing i had lost an hour somewhere. The next incidence happened about 23 years later, (about 3 years ago) i was starting a new job and woke up late, i hurried to wash and dress and raced to the new job, (it was only a 10 minute walk away) ready to apologise to my new boss, as i approached his office i looked at my phone (i no longer wear a watch or have an alarm clock, my phone now serving both jobs) and saw i was pretty much bang on time, the weird thing is the time i lost in the first incident was exactly the same amount of time i gained in the second incident.
Has anyone else been given back time the lost previously?

I thought it strange that time seems to run more slowly in my kitchen than in my lounge. I have identical clocks in both but recently I have noticed that in the kitchen I have had to adjust the time forward by a couple of minutes at least once a week.
But my expectation is that it's a bit of a shonky battery in the clock in the kitchen - it seems a more likely explanation than some kind of 'time vortex'.
I guess I'll find out one morning soon when I go to make my 8am coffee only to discover that I have walked into a zone where it's permanently 2.18am.

Ive just been reminded, or i should say i have just remembered a couple of strange instances of missing/gaining time. The first happened many years ago, i was working at a well known pet supermarket and had a good 30 minute cycle to work and back each day, one morning i was woken, as usual by my alarm clock and after my morning ablutions got dressed and left for work, as i was nearing the shop i glanced at my watch to see if i had time for a tea before i started work and saw i was nearly an hour late for work! It was not in spring at the time clocks go forward and my clock, when got home was correct with the alarm set for my usual time. Im certain i looked at my watch a few times on my way upto me noticing i had lost an hour somewhere. The next incidence happened about 23 years later, (about 3 years ago) i was starting a new job and woke up late, i hurried to wash and dress and raced to the new job, (it was only a 10 minute walk away) ready to apologise to my new boss, as i approached his office i looked at my phone (i no longer wear a watch or have an alarm clock, my phone now serving both jobs) and saw i was pretty much bang on time, the weird thing is the time i lost in the first incident was exactly the same amount of time i gained in the second incident.
Has anyone else been given back time the lost previously?

Oh wow that's just brilliant! It, brings into question the whole nature of time and our perceptions of it. :) Perhaps it happens a lot only mostly it goes unnoticed?

Sollywos x

Oh wow that's just brilliant! It, brings into question the whole nature of time and our perceptions of it. :) Perhaps it happens a lot only mostly it goes unnoticed?

Sollywos x
The first time it didnt really matter i was late i just made the time up, the second time would have been a really bad start to a new job so maybe it was the universe banking some time for me to use at a point in future when it was needed

The first time it didnt really matter i was late i just made the time up, the second time would have been a really bad start to a new job so maybe it was the universe banking some time for me to use at a point in future when it was needed

Well it certainly looks that way and is why I found your experience so pleasing it doevetails so perfectly. These are the sort of Fortean things I find so interesting. :)

Sollywos x

Yesterday, as I was finishing off in the offices at work (a school), I was startled by the sound of a door opening and slamming shut. I knew the building was empty, but rushed out to check the car park. No one there. I've worked at the school for 19 years this year and am aware of its nuances and usual plethora of noises, all explainable, but this one has me fuddled.

Just now I’m lying in bed reading my phone as you do. I’ve got my other hand by my face. Listening to the ticking of my watch. Then I realise my smart watch doesn’t tick and it stops. So I’m wondering if I had been hearing my heartbeat or something but now I can’t recreate it, it’s very odd.

Reminds me of an incident in Twain's Tom Sawyer, when he is trying to get to sleep and suddenly hears the death watch ticking in the wall over his bed.

He recalls that this sound means someone is dying... o_O

This passage both scared and intrigued me as a child. What the flip was a 'death watch'?

I pictured it as a gruesome barometer that made a tone randomly to frighten people, like a sort of mechanical moment mori. It probably had an ornate clock face and was decorated with carvings of grinning skulls and Death himself, maybe brandishing a large sickle as per his mediaeval portraits.

This Death Watch was pondered for many years until I found out about beetle infestations. :rolleyes:

However, I'm still not convinced. Your experience is merely evidence that I'm right. Just because you can't see the Death Watch, only hear it, doesn't mean it's not real.

I think maybe I heard what I expected to hear. I’ve spent more years wearing an analogue watch than digital/smart.

It does do strange lights things that flash a variety of lights at your wrist to see what going on (heart rate, oxygen saturation etc) but I don’t think they make any noise. Apparently there is a speaker which only let itself be known after an update but I doubt it was making like an old fashioned watch.

tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick...

And there was me thinking that the only mean thing snails did was eat my lettuces and I can forgive them for that and even reward them with a little holiday over the back fence ......... mmmm gonna have to rethink my entire world view now!

Maybe I will have to start killing them after all!! :pitch:

Sollywos x

And there was me thinking that the only mean thing snails did was eat my lettuces and I can forgive them for that and even reward them with a little holiday over the back fence ......... mmmm gonna have to rethink my entire world view now!

Maybe I will have to start killing them after all!! :pitch:

Sollywos x
Snails and beetles are good mates, y'know.

Had a dream that I was walking out of my house with a friend we passed a car with its bonnet up and the engine block removed. It was surrounded by a group of other cars.

Walking up the road we heard a noise and both of us turned back towards the cars and all had disappeared including the one without an engine.
We both did a double-take and the cars had all returned.

I said to my friend "Did you see that?' He nodded and in unison, we both said "time slip".

Today I discovered that two random tins have an almost airtight fit:

20210120_224055.jpg

Today I discovered that two random tins have an almost airtight fit:

View attachment 34061
I have a similar thing with certain metal cat bowels made by totally different manufacturers. When they "combine" in the sink you'd need a blade the width of a micron to separate them. Also, the power of the suction is unreal. I boil water and pour it over to separate them with the oven gloves holding my smallest knife.

I have a similar thing with certain metal cat bowels made by totally different manufacturers. When they "combine" in the sink you'd need a blade the width of a micron to separate them. Also, the power of the suction is unreal. I boil water and pour it over to separate them with the oven gloves holding my smallest knife.
Certainly the nature of the bowels of our latest incumbent leave a lot to be desired.

I came home from work last night at about ten twenty. The little cupboard behind the TV was open. It's the cupboard I use to put all the Christmas decs in, so it's been firmly shut since Twelfth Night, and the door is quite a snug fit. It's too high up for the dog to have been rummaging, and the door was significantly open. Nobody is living in the house on the other side, so it can't have been vibration.

And, come to think of it, the understairs cupboard door was ajar on Sunday (but that might just have been me not closing it properly).

Back