• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Twice I Avoided Meeting... Myself!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Both of these incidents happened in the late nineties.

I was living with my (then) long-term partner in the Earl Court area of London. It was a simple, council-build one bedroom flat, the layout being a v. small hall from the front door, first door to the bedroom, second door to the main room and then a door to the bathroom. In the main room, it was a lengthy but slender (?) open-plan kind of place with the main 'living room' being one half and the kitchen/dining room being the other half. We had furnished it so that we could watch the TV from sofa or chairs and see most of the dining section but not the kitchen section. In the dining area we had a small dining table and chairs ... and the back/cabling area of my computer desk. Sitting at this you could just see the top of my head and the bookshelves behind me. The only other door to this room was one to the small balcony - we were on the first floor.
I've spent this describing this location in order to help you visualise the lay-out. Because what happened, briefly, was definitely weird!
One evening, my GF was sitting watching TV and caught a movement behind the computer desk. This part of the room was shadowed but the main light of the living room was on. She glanced up ... to see me stand up from behind the desk, pulling my outdoor coat on, then move around the desk into the 'kitchen' area and so out of sight. This took less than four seconds. I did not re-appear. She then started with shock - as far as she knew, she was behind her, in the bedroom! I'd been putting some clothes away. She called out to me and I strolled into the lounge wondering what she wanted. We rushed to the kitchen, putting all the lights on. Yeah, I know, reflex action but pointless. "I" was not there! There was no way I could've come from the bedroom, passed her - and the TV - and sat at the computer. She was watching the programme, sure, but neither intently not concentrating on something else such as a magazine. I would've literally walked beside the screen to go into the dining room/kitchen!

The second incident happened a couple of weeks after the first.
I was an organiser of a role-playing game club that met in The Bow Bells pub every Wednesday. I'd have to check the day, it was that long ago, but it was a weekday, weekly occasion. Though it was a bit of a schlep on the tube, sometimes I'd meet up with friend-members in the pub and I was what you might call a semi-regular patron. One evening, a Friday, one of my close friends and member of the club - Doug - who lived nearby was with a couple of his mates. He got up to go for a pee and, on leaving, glanced over the bar which was approximately horseshoe-shaped. It was Friday night, in a pub, so it was pretty crowded. He saw me clearly, apparently sitting in the lights of the counter - motionless anyhow. He waved but I didn't react. He assumed I hadn't seen him so pushed his way around the corner to talk to me, wondering what brought me there that evening. I was gone. Not a trace. Doug assumed I'd got up and ducked out the front door before he got to me. The following club night, he chaffed me about it, saying if I'd stayed then he'd have bought me a pint. I was shocked then got all the details and explained. It couldn't have been me. At that particular time, on that particular day, I was in Newmarket, Suffolk! I was in the car of a friend who lived there and who'd picked me up from the phonebox only three miles from her home! Doug swore black and blue it was me - I was sitting at the bar under a bright light, dressed in my usual clothes, staring off into the distance!
This second apparition could be put down to mis-identification or even a hoax; I might've (somehow) left the pub and travelled (I don't drive) from Plaistow in East London to Newmarket. Within an hour! But Doug actually confirmed the details with my Suffolk friend - without letting on the reason. Definitely creepy.

It must be said that this was an emotionally turbulent time in my life. Relations with my GF wasn't going well and I went through a form of nervous breakdown. This was one of the reasons I'd visited my friend in Newmarket; I wanted to escape from the 'usual' for the weekend.
Perhaps my turbulent emotions created images of me?

I was living with my (then) long-term partner in the Earl Court area of London. It was a simple, council-build one bedroom flat, the layout being a v. small hall from the front door, first door to the bedroom, second door to the main room and then a door to the bathroom. In the main room, it was a lengthy but slender (?) open-plan kind of place with the main 'living room' being one half and the kitchen/dining room being the other half. We had furnished it so that we could watch the TV from sofa or chairs and see most of the dining section but not the kitchen section. In the dining area we had a small dining table and chairs ... and the back/cabling area of my computer desk. Sitting at this you could just see the top of my head and the bookshelves behind me. The only other door to this room was one to the small balcony - we were on the first floor.
I've spent this describing this location in order to help you visualise the lay-out. Because what happened, briefly, was definitely weird!
One evening, my GF was sitting watching TV and caught a movement behind the computer desk. This part of the room was shadowed but the main light of the living room was on. She glanced up ... to see me stand up from behind the desk, pulling my outdoor coat on, then move around the desk into the 'kitchen' area and so out of sight. This took less than four seconds. I did not re-appear. She then started with shock - as far as she knew, she was behind her, in the bedroom! I'd been putting some clothes away. She called out to me and I strolled into the lounge wondering what she wanted. We rushed to the kitchen, putting all the lights on. Yeah, I know, reflex action but pointless. "I" was not there! There was no way I could've come from the bedroom, passed her - and the TV - and sat at the computer. She was watching the programme, sure, but neither intently not concentrating on something else such as a magazine. I would've literally walked beside the screen to go into the dining room/kitchen!

I was an organiser of a role-playing game club that met in The Bow Bells pub every Wednesday. I'd have to check the day, it was that long ago, but it was a weekday, weekly occasion. Though it was a bit of a schlep on the tube, sometimes I'd meet up with friend-members in the pub and I was what you might call a semi-regular patron. One evening, a Friday, one of my close friends and member of the club - Doug - who lived nearby was with a couple of his mates. He got up to go for a pee and, on leaving, glanced over the bar which was approximately horseshoe-shaped. It was Friday night, in a pub, so it was pretty crowded. He saw me clearly, apparently sitting in the lights of the counter - motionless anyhow. He waved but I didn't react. He assumed I hadn't seen him so pushed his way around the corner to talk to me, wondering what brought me there that evening. I was gone. Not a trace. Doug assumed I'd got up and ducked out the front door before he got to me. The following club night, he chaffed me about it, saying if I'd stayed then he'd have bought me a pint. I was shocked then got all the details and explained. It couldn't have been me. At that particular time, on that particular day, I was in Newmarket, Suffolk! I was in the car of a friend who lived there and who'd picked me up from the phonebox only three miles from her home! Doug swore black and blue it was me - I was sitting at the bar under a bright light, dressed in my usual clothes, staring off into the distance!
This second apparition could be put down to mis-identification or even a hoax; I might've (somehow) left the pub and travelled (I don't drive) from Plaistow in East London to Newmarket. Within an hour! But Doug actually confirmed the details with my Suffolk friend - without letting on the reason. Definitely creepy.

It must be said that this was an emotionally turbulent time in my life. Relations with my GF wasn't going well and I went through a form of nervous breakdown. This was one of the reasons I'd visited my friend in Newmarket; I wanted to escape from the 'usual' for the weekend.
Oooh, sounds like a Fetch! Or Doppelganger. We have threads on those, as you know.
I 'saw' mine following me, looking dejected, in a shop mirror one xmas when I was having a hard time.

I do not have an explanation, but perhaps your desire to be in a place other than where you were accounts for some sort of spirit projection for the first one in the flat?

The second I think it a case of mistaken identity, someone who looked like you was in the pub on a night when you may well have been there, so your friend assumed it was you.

I do not have an explanation, but perhaps your desire to be in a place other than where you were accounts for some sort of spirit projection for the first one in the flat?

The second I think it a case of mistaken identity, someone who looked like you was in the pub on a night when you may well have been there, so your friend assumed it was you.

You haven't met @Stormkhan. :chuckle:

I've always assumed it was a Doppelganger in the case of my flat.
I admit, there's a possibility that it was a case of mistaken identity in the pub. Doug was absolutely certain he saw me. It may've been a crowded pub but I was sitting (apparently) at the bar under strong lighting. He pointed out that my habit then (as now) was not to sit in the middle of a bar counter but either in a corner or at a small table, reading a book.
I have a 'thing' or two when it comes to pubs. I love 'em (and miss 'em) but firstly, On my own, I cannot just sit/stand there with my drink; I have to read a book, magazine, whatever. Yeah, I can wait to be served ... but once served I 'switch off' and read. Secondly, due to past (unsavoury) history, I really get jittery to sit/stand with my back to an entrance or a group of people. I'd rather turn my back on a bar counter. I feel most comfortable in a discrete corner or in a place with my back to the wall. Then I can relax, drink, read, whatever. Finally, I don't really like crowds. Yeah, I've gone to gigs - where they're expected - but in my ... um ... relaxation time, I can't relax in crowds. If I have to 'beat' my way to a bar then 'beat' my way to a wall/corner then I'd just walk out. I've no problem with reading in a busy place* ... but I just feel on edge in big crowds.
So, all in all, me sitting/standing at a crowded bar with no apparent book and just 'gorming' off into the distance is so unlike me that Doug noted it. This behaviour of my stand-in could also account for it being not me, and a stand-in.

*Decades ago, as a regular of the Intrepid Fox of Wardour Street, I was known for my ability to sit in the corner of the bar and sit and read. It was the most out of the way location for me and the lighting was good. That loud music was played, sometimes live, meant nothing when I want to read a book and I was dressed in a suit which made me stand out even more from the other regulars. :)

I

Used to live about 30 seconds from the Bow Bells pub in the late nineties. Apparently the ladies toilet was haunted.

Yup.
The classic "toilet ghost".
It liked to either grope the ladies bum as she was sitting or, on occasion, flush the loo while she was still ... about her business.
Strange but true: It's function room above was used as a branch/subdivision (whatever - I aint a member) for a group of Freemasons. The function room above had a neat, little hatch in the door, to check on WHO WANTS ENTRANCE UNTO THE ... and so on. :)

Well, now.
It's quite true that what gets put online stays online. :)
I've just done a brief Google and discovered ...
  • Guild of Melee and Magic role-playing games clubs: Pub Meet: Every second Saturday of month; Westmoreland Arms, George Street, London W1. Central London branch: Monday eves; Westmoreland Arms, George Street, London W1..
  • East London branch: Thursday evenings at The Bow Bells, Bow Road, London E3.
Source: Games and Puzzles: Clubs in the UK (ucl.ac.uk) 1997 (my emphasis)

As an explanation, the Guild had been going since 1985. I was one of the founding members, in Kent. It blossomed into one of the largest games club in the country! At this time, I was living in Earls Court but I'd helped establish branches in South, East, North and Central London and was working on a West London one! :D
It actually makes me feel good to read nowadays things that I was involved in when the Internet was young! :)

Way back in my teenage years, I seemed to be troubled by a doppelganger. Or something. I had several very odd experiences where others claimed I had told them something, or agreed to do this or that, when I had no knowledge of any of it. Just about the dumbest one was the motorcycle that turned up at my Grandad's gas station. My father was in the process of taking the place over as Gramps retired. I worked there after school and on Saturdays.

One day when I got to work after school was out, I noticed a dirt bike parked in the back of the shop. Wondered what it was doing there but didn't get around to asking Dad about it for a couple more days. He said, "That's Tim Carson's."

"What's it doing here?" I asked.

Dad looked puzzled, and said, "He said you were going to fix it."

My turn to be puzzled, "What's wrong with it?"

"I don't know, he dropped it off the other day and said you were going to fix it for him."

Hmmm. Being a busy high school kid, and not being known as a crack motorcycle mechanic, and also not even knowing Tim owned a motorcycle, I ignored it thinking Tim would stop by and tell me what was going on. I hadn't seen him in quite a while. Then, about a week later, I noticed the bike was gone, and I never heard another thing about it. It was quite a while before I saw Tim again, and he never mentioned it. Obviously, there was some kind of misunderstanding. He was not the most reliably sober person around, but nothing about it ever made any sense.

There were other weird and dumb things like that over about a three year period, often causing me to question the sanity of various other people in that little town. There were no indications of my being forgetful to such an alarming extent. Eventually it stopped.

Another story from the gas station days made me scratch my head. Dad said one day, "Oh, hey, Sister Mary Benedict is looking for you." I asked what that could be about, and he said she wanted me to go to a meeting to start training as a lector in the church. "I told her you were pretty busy and probably wouldn't be interested, but she said 'These kids can find the time to do important things,' so I thought you could use a warning." I agreed that I had zero interest in being a lector. In fact, by then I had very little interest in even going to church, let alone being part of the crew.

Eventually she caught up with me, and being a nun was able to squeeze an agreement out of me, that I would attend a meeting a few nights later. As I often did in those days, I blew it off when the time came because I really was not interested. I was surprised that she never hunted me down to berate me for not showing up. In fact, I never heard another word about it. I figured my "voting with my feet" had got the message across, and forgot all about it.

At least four years later, I went to Mass one Sunday for one reason or another. I hadn't been there in over a year, I think. For some reason, upon leaving I decided to pick up a copy of the church bulletin as I passed into the sunshine. Reading it over, I found that I was listed as the lector for that day! What the fuck? How could that be? That day's lector was a fellow I went to high school with. He was good at it. Did he get a frantic call an hour previously when I didn't show up? I wondered how many other times I had been scheduled to be standing in front of a congregation I had essentially disowned, reading scriptures I considered to be quaint nonsense. For some weeks, I puzzled over the series of events that led to my name being on that church bulletin. Not that I cared. Gross incompetence? Seems as likely as anything.

Possibly there was a change in 'personnel' but the paperwork hadn't been updated so the official bulletin had got the information wrong.
I once reviewed a game for a magazine, as a freelancer. When it was published, my GF was credited with the review. A bit annoying. Yeah, she was also a reviewer for the publication and I got paid my fee for the review ... but I was the one responsible for the words on the page, not her! ;)

Thing is, though, the only list I could have been on was one for "trainees" or whatever, if that even happened. I never went to any meeting, or even had a conversation about it with anyone after that initial one with the nun. The thought that I was somehow being punished did cross my mind. Attending Catholic school does that to a person.

Edit: It has been a long time, and I haven't thought about this in years, but thinking about it just now it seems like the conversation with the nun went along the lines of me telling her I wasn't interested, and her saying I didn't have to decide right then. "Just come to the meeting and find out what's involved, then you can decide if you want to do it." So I figured blowing off the meeting would get the point across pretty well. But yeah, some list had my name on it in '75 and through a comedy of errors, it was on the roster for lectors in '79. Might still be on there, for all I know.

Last edited:
We have threads on doppelgängers.

@Stormkhan and I have something in common as I too have a doppelgänger/fetch which is is seen now and then.
I'm used to it and have seen it myself, as mentioned above.

It always makes people angry.

They'll see 'me' out somewhere and greet me and of course it's not me so I don't respond, and I get a faceful for my rudeness next time they see me.

They're not seeing someone who resembles me, who looks puzzled when they wave or go over and say 'Hi!'
The 'me' just ignores them. It doesn't say 'I'm sorry, do I know you?' or look puzzled. It blanks them.

Many years ago I described on'ere an incident in which I'd actually seen myself, wearing a distinctive winter hat that I'd made myself.
Another poster, a stranger to me, laid into me, saying I must have looked ridiculous.
When I pointed out how rude this was she apologised, and then retracted that and was even more obnoxious. Really nasty and uncalled-for.

This didn't bother me. It was just her bad manners. But the doppelgänger does bring this out in people.

Last edited:
I’ve seen myself come into the house and go up the stairs. When I walked from the kitchen and searched the house, ‘I’ wasn’t there. I’ve posted about this previously so I won’t do the details again.

You've posted about such a thing twice:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ions-thereof-what-are-they.35852/post-1727117

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/anyone-seen-a-ghost.621/post-1787541

Do both these posts refer to the same incident?

Did you know your neighbours at all well during the time you lived in the flat? I am just wondering if they were up to any shenanigins in the occult sense that may have influenced your then-GF seeing a 'copy' of you.

Last edited:
As I mentioned over on the Different types of Ghost thread https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/different-types-of-‘ghost’.68018/#post-2028110 I suspect some of this could be down to Multiuniverse shenanigans - the "other" you is a in the universe next door and for a minute we get a glimpse through - heck maybe we move between them all the time , hence the Mandela stuff. It would certainly help explain how realtively mundane many seem to be.
I think there is a great deal of such "leakage" and we filter most of it out on the fly. Our experience needs to be consistent enough to keep things from unraveling, so it's a necessary function. I think it becomes more necessary as our lives become ever more complex. Just look at our ideas about time, compared to our distant ancestors. Perceptions of time have even changed a lot in the past fifty years. Things like GPS and cell phones have both required and provided a rigid framework that didn't exist when I was a kid and everyone's watches and clocks said something a bit different. Even the four clock faces on the courthouse downtown were a bit off from one another.

Did you know your neighbours at all well during the time you lived in the flat? I am just wondering if they were up to any shenanigins in the occult sense that may have influenced your then-GF seeing a 'copy' of you.
We had, in effect, 5 neighbours. 1 above, 1 below, 1 next to us and two on the opposite side of the corridor. The one furthest was a low-level drug dealer and family. All the others were relatively 'normal' and chatty ... though the young woman above us was 'intermittently' with boyfriend. Nothing else occurred out of the ordinary in the 14 years I lived there. Apart from 'Er upstairs getting a boyfriend who insisted on putting in a fitted kitchen and laminate floors over a number of days at 3 - 4 o'clock in the morning. :mad:

Don’t know if this is relevant, happy to delete if it isn’t.

I suffered from very severe anxiety as a child, as a result of a difficult home environment. One of the most unpleasant symptoms was depersonalisation, I would be convinced that there was another person who was also in my body, who was gradually pushing me out, that I had no objective existence and that physically, I was outside my body, looking in. As a result the thought of seeing a doppelgänger horrifies me.

Yes, I was going to say it seems significant that the relationship "wasn't going well" and that the doppelgänger was "pulling my outdoor coat on". It's almost like it was acting out a subconscious desire to leave.

I agree that, in both cases, my troubles may've been a catalyst for the events but if my emotional state was the cause of the phenomena, well, I'd be interested in comparison to other documented cases. I'm not convinced. I feel (with no real evidence) that my turbulent relationship was a trigger for it happening.
Though it never happened before. Since all this, my emotional relationship situation is vastly different - for the better. If I or my wife were to see 'me' again, I'd start to worry. :)

'Saw' myself get splattered t'other day, when I was nearly run over by a huge truck approaching from my left at a junction.

Luckily I avoided the impact! but for a split second I had a vivid image of my limbs flying in all directions and the bike going under the front of the vehicle. :omg:

This was no doubt my brain saying 'Get out of the way before THIS happens!' but for a while afterwards it stayed with me.

I found myself thinking about someone close who died a while back and telling them 'I miss you but I don't want to be with you just yet!' :chuckle:

I was just thinking the other day - with the advent of most people wearing masks, are there more 'mistaken identities' going on? After all, it's much harder to recognise people now when you really only have hairstyle and eyes to go on?

Don’t know if this is relevant, happy to delete if it isn’t.

I suffered from very severe anxiety as a child, as a result of a difficult home environment. One of the most unpleasant symptoms was depersonalisation, I would be convinced that there was another person who was also in my body, who was gradually pushing me out, that I had no objective existence and that physically, I was outside my body, looking in. As a result the thought of seeing a doppelgänger horrifies me.
Congratulations on making it through your childhood, Sogna! I wish you many happy, satisfying years ahead!

Back