• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Nice to see that despite the global pandemic that essential dinosaur arse research is still going ahead.

Sure you mock, but for paleontologists it isn't easy to tell a fossilised dino ass from a hole in the ground.

Injured dog owner spends £300 on X-Rays and vets for his limping lurcher Bill- only to learn he was only copying him out of sympathy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9159467/Limping-dog-copies-injured-owner-sympathy.html

I'm not going to follow the link as I suspect I'll be lured into clicking on bikini-ready bodies & Amanda Holden photographed spontaneously whilst washing her car at home wearing skimpy shorts & top even though it's January. She has an outdoor heated area with built-in lighting in case any photographers should just turn up.

Can someone fill me in as to how they came to this conclusion? Was it just the fact they couldn't find any injury or did the dog walk normally when out with other people? I like the idea of a sympathetic dog who adopts a limp to keep his owner company.

Amanda Holden photographed spontaneously whilst washing her car at home wearing skimpy shorts and top
I know...disgraceful behaviour.
(BTW do you have a link to that for...er.....research purposes ?)

Toronto woman finds knife-wielding squirrel in back yard

A Toronto woman captured video when she looked into her backyard and was confronted with a bizarre sight: a squirrel holding a knife.

Andrea Diamond, who lives in the Rosedale area of Toronto, said squirrels are a common sight in her back yard, but Wednesday morning she spotted a squirrel that had picked up a paring knife she had left near a tent outside her home. ...

She said the rodent gnawed on the knife handle for a while before abandoning the tool. She said the animal returned a short time later to chew on the knife a little longer.

Diamond said the squirrel did not appear to have injured itself with the sharp object.

SOURCE (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...wielding-squirrel-in-back-yard/9701611265002/

I think that I've seen a documentary or something of this nature. It was showing that monkeys were more productive a getting coconuts from the trees then humans because they could climb faster. So no surprise that monkeys are being used. I don't know if in this documentary it was "forced" labour as I think the monkeys earned rewards for getting the coconuts.

Not sure if this should be posted here or in Cryptozoology...

Very impressive snow sculpture of Godzilla.
_116658699_snowzilla.2jfif.jpg

Geez, what are they putting in dog food to make you hallucinate like that without eating it? No wonder some dogs act so weird and bark a lot.

Seriously, maybe the poor guy is schizophrenic. Schizophrenia starts to manifest in young adulthood, doesn't it? :(

For those who've ever wondered if plants are sentient, you'll never look at a salad the same way again!

SCIENTISTS HAVE TAUGHT SPINACH TO SEND EMAILS

spinach.jpg

Through nanotechnology, engineers at MIT in the US have transformed spinach into sensors capable of detecting explosive materials. These plants are then able to wirelessly relay this information back to the scientists.

When the spinach roots detect the presence of nitroaromatics in groundwater, a compound often found in explosives like landmines, the carbon nanotubes within the plant leaves emit a signal. This signal is then read by an infrared camera, sending an email alert to the scientists.

This experiment is part of a wider field of research which involves engineering electronic components and systems into plants. The technology is known as “plant nanobionics”, and is effectively the process of giving plants new abilities.

“Plants are very good analytical chemists,” explains Professor Michael Strano who led the research. “They have an extensive root network in the soil, are constantly sampling groundwater, and have a way to self-power the transport of that water up into the leaves.”

“This is a novel demonstration of how we have overcome the plant/human communication barrier,” he adds.
https://www.euronews.com/living/202...ils-and-it-could-warn-us-about-climate-change

Brilliant science, bizarre headlines!

Back