• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
One more story to add. My parents are having some plumbing work done at the moment, so I called them today to see how it's going.

My dad is using the same plumber he's used for anything bathroom / kitchen related for the past thirty years, but confessed on the phone today he thinks he's going 'a bit strange'. Apparently the plumber was telling him of an experience he had the other week, when a stranger who only had a top half got in bed with him! It spooked him so much he slept in the spare room the following night.

It was probably sleep paralysis but it sounded like a great story (sadly, my dad wasn't interested in expanding on this account with the plumber so that's all we have to go on!)

Interesting. I always think of unknown intruders / squatters, who could account for the furniture moving around and the dangerous, nail studded piece of wood.

I hope the cousin's knee completely mended in the end!

Thank you! I'm looking forward to scaring myself with this thread later when it gets dark...
One of my favourite threads. There are some corkers on'ere. :)

We had a poster called Johnnyboy who worked in youth hostels. He had brilliant stories to tell, and he hugely enjoyed reading others' accounts of the weirdness they'd encountered.

After reading some scariness he once commented that he was looking forward to closing down at night and being alone in the building, just him with a mug of cocoa and the Devil. :rollingw:

I miss Johnnyboy. :(

One of my favourite threads. There are some corkers on'ere. :)

We had a poster called Johnnyboy who worked in youth hostels. He had brilliant stories to tell, and he hugely enjoyed reading others' accounts of the weirdness they'd encountered.

After reading some scariness he once commented that he was looking forward to closing down at night and being alone in the building, just him with a mug of cocoa and the Devil. :rollingw:

I miss Johnnyboy. :(
This is one of the reasons I love this forum. We get 'proper' stories of weirdnesses, rather than, as over on Reddit and other American-led forums, where it tends to be 'I was sitting in the dark smoking weed and I heard a NOISE' and everyone chimes in with 'probably demons'! :chuckle:

This is one of the reasons I love this forum. We get 'proper' stories of weirdnesses, rather than, as over on Reddit and other American-led forums, where it tends to be 'I was sitting in the dark smoking weed and I heard a NOISE' and everyone chimes in with 'probably demons'! :chuckle:
There are some nice supernatural-themed threads on b3ta's Question of the Week too. :)

You have to scroll down the list of Previous Questions for them and some replies are piss-taking 'My local is definitely haunted, they serve spirits HAHAHAHAHAHA' rubbish but most are sincere and as it's anonymous I take them at face value.
The stories I've quoted on'ere about the Flying Greenhouse and the dog's spirit calling from the garden in the night are from there.

It's a shame b3ta was ruined by cliques and trolls and has dwindled to a puny remnant when it could have been as big as Reddit.

(There are also humorous b3ta threads, where I found the story about the cyclist who was debagged by a collision with a car.)

A couple of years ago we were having a drive exploring some country roads when we came across a small church with only a few cottages nearby.
We thought we would stop and have a look around as it looked quite old and when we came to the main entrance we were pleased to find it wasn't locked. It was a really big thick old oak door with an old latch and opened outwards with a creak.
We had a good look around inside and as we were walking back to the door it suddenly swung open as if someone was opening it to let us out. There was no wind at all and the floor was stone so no possibility of movement causing it. We had a good look around for any plausible cause but couldn't see any obvious reason, I remembered dropping the latch when we went in (force of habit from having dogs and working in houses where I have to be careful not to let a dog or cat out!)

American here, and I know exactly who you mean! Only as I heard it, it was "I know that apartment was haunted, because I was sitting in the dark smoking weed and I heard a NOISE!" or "because I felt a DRAFT!" or "because it was next to a CEMETERY!" or "because the closet door MOVED!" (in a flat with a draft and located in a seismically active area . . . ).
Still, they were charming friends, and I miss them.

Dark Histories podcaster Ben Cutmore posts an annual episode of first hand accounts of ghostly and eerie experiences sent in by his listeners. He calls them the Christmas Campfire episodes.
He's about to post one for season five. Here's a link to season one to get you started:
https://www.darkhistories.com/christmas-campfire-bonus-episode/

A couple of years ago we were having a drive exploring some country roads when we came across a small church with only a few cottages nearby.
We thought we would stop and have a look around as it looked quite old and when we came to the main entrance we were pleased to find it wasn't locked. It was a really big thick old oak door with an old latch and opened outwards with a creak.
We had a good look around inside and as we were walking back to the door it suddenly swung open as if someone was opening it to let us out. There was no wind at all and the floor was stone so no possibility of movement causing it. We had a good look around for any plausible cause but couldn't see any obvious reason, I remembered dropping the latch when we went in (force of habit from having dogs and working in houses where I have to be careful not to let a dog or cat out!)
It is weird when doors open apparently for no reason. Not ruling out spooky, but it's sometimes due to the frame not being level or hinges being out of true. (more likely in an old building). Our bedroom door slowly swings open randomly. Used to creak and groan as it did so, until I sprayed the hinges with oil.

It is weird when doors open apparently for no reason. Not ruling out spooky, but it's sometimes due to the frame not being level or hinges being out of true. (more likely in an old building). Our bedroom door slowly swings open randomly. Used to creak and groan as it did so, until I sprayed the hinges with oil.
When we had new internal doors installed years ago I found that opening and closing one would set off the others. It drove dogs MAD. :chuckle:

Its even worse when you walk up to an automatic door expecting it to open and it doesn't :chuckle:

I just listened to this account on YouTube. It starts at 53:12 (story 7),

It's a first hand account of an eerie experience linked to a ghost story that the narrator found in an obscure book about a local river.

What makes this account most fascinating to me, and why I think it's important to share, is the context and lead up to the experience that the narrator describes. She was going through a psychologically difficult time, working multiple jobs to get by because of an economic downturn, and consequently very isolated and lacking confidence in the future. This anxious state of mind doesn't explain all hauntings of course, but I found the account clear, rational and thought provoking.

Some of the regulars here are aware my Mother passed away in March and will be interred next Monday, 9th May. Growing up I was absolutely convinced in life after death but as I have aged I have become extremely sceptical. So since my mothers passing we have had no phenomena that could be attributable to someone attempting to make contact from the other side, then yesterday my wife hung a mirror that had pride of place in mothers lounge for my entire life; this morning we awoke to find the ”jug” has disappeared.
The jug is a litre plastic thing with a broken handle which sits next to the kitchen sink, it’s sole purpose in life is to convey mains water from the tap, to the dog’s drinking bowl. It has travelled the few feet from sink to bowl for the last couple of years…and now it has gone.
We have turned the place upside down, looked in every cupboard and drawer, checked the fridge and the ovens and every room in the house. Checked the rubbish bin outside and the adjacent recycling bin. My wife reckons my mum had returned to play mischievous tricks on us.
Despite my scepticism I have asked aloud for her to return the jug; I will report on progress in due course.

When we had new internal doors installed years ago I found that opening and closing one would set off the others. It drove dogs MAD. :chuckle:

There was a story regaled in one of the "how to be a ghost hunter" book about something (perhaps) similar. The floorboards on a staircase in a house would creak, one after the other, giving the impression that someone was ascending or descending. Upon inspection, it was found that one of the boards was slightly mis-set and when the house settled at night, this one floor board would be 'affected', and it in turn would knock the adjoining board out of allignment, and then the next, and then the next...
When the errant board was replaced, the ghost was laid.

@Tempest63
It sounds odd, but sometimes just saying aloud for such-and-such an item to be returned very often works. It usually works with me, and I find the item within minutes. Its been theorised that just making an appeal out loud triggers something in the subconscious that rekindles the memory of where the said item has been placed.

Although to be honest, your case has me scratching my head!

Some of the regulars here are aware my Mother passed away in March and will be interred next Monday, 9th May. Growing up I was absolutely convinced in life after death but as I have aged I have become extremely sceptical. So since my mothers passing we have had no phenomena that could be attributable to someone attempting to make contact from the other side, then yesterday my wife hung a mirror that had pride of place in mothers lounge for my entire life; this morning we awoke to find the ”jug” has disappeared.
The jug is a litre plastic thing with a broken handle which sits next to the kitchen sink, it’s sole purpose in life is to convey mains water from the tap, to the dog’s drinking bowl. It has travelled the few feet from sink to bowl for the last couple of years…and now it has gone.
We have turned the place upside down, looked in every cupboard and drawer, checked the fridge and the ovens and every room in the house. Checked the rubbish bin outside and the adjacent recycling bin. My wife reckons my mum had returned to play mischievous tricks on us.
Despite my scepticism I have asked aloud for her to return the jug; I will report on progress in due course.
Is there any chance that the dog has picked it up and carried it somewhere?

I only ask as I had a big old dog who would pick up virtually anything he could carry and it would eventually materialise in his bed.

Is there any chance that the dog has picked it up and carried it somewhere?

I only ask as I had a big old dog who would pick up virtually anything he could carry and it would eventually materialise in his bed.
The dogs don’t jump up at the work surfaces and as it was pushed to the back I doubt the lab would have reached and the two springers certainly aren’t tall enough on their back legs.

The jug hasn’t rematerialised but it was with a little sceptical reservation that I went to the loo in the early hours, half expecting it to be in the wash hand basin.

The dogs don’t jump up at the work surfaces and as it was pushed to the back I doubt the lab would have reached and the two springers certainly aren’t tall enough on their back legs.

The jug hasn’t rematerialised but it was with a little sceptical reservation that I went to the loo in the early hours, half expecting it to be in the wash hand basin.
The dogs DON'T jump up at the work surfaces, or the dogs don't jump up at the work surfaces when anyone is looking...?

A Springer is certainly capable of jumping that high if the motivation is great enough.
My 'gamekeeper' Springer could (and did) manage to clear a seven foot wall (not without, I admit, a degree of scrabbling).

The Saturday afternoon when our entire extended family went out to visit neighbours; leaving several cooling racks of sausage rolls (intended for a fete) cooling "safely" on the worktop out of reach of the dogs is remembered with nostalgia.
On our return we were greeted by three somnambulant dogs which, upon being roused, displayed every canine expression of guilt whilst not admitting anything - and not a single sausage roll.
My Springer got the blame :( - my parents' Cocker was too small (and fat (sorry Andy, wherever you are)) and my grandparents 'show' Springer was too big/heavy for any feats of athleticism.

BTW, the cooling racks were still on the worktop. Seemingly, whichever dog was responsible had delicately picked the target food off the racks without disturbing the racks themselves whatsoever.

ETA: or maybe we had an extremely greedy poltergeist!:oops:

A Springer is certainly capable of jumping that high if the motivation is great enough.
My 'gamekeeper' Springer could (and did) manage to clear a seven foot wall (not without, I admit, a degree of scrabbling).

The Saturday afternoon when our entire extended family went out to visit neighbours; leaving several cooling racks of sausage rolls (intended for a fete) cooling "safely" on the worktop out of reach of the dogs is remembered with nostalgia.
On our return we were greeted by three somnambulant dogs which, upon being roused, displayed every canine expression of guilt whilst not admitting anything - and not a single sausage roll.
My Springer got the blame :( - my parents' Cocker was too small (and fat (sorry Andy, wherever you are)) and my grandparents 'show' Springer was too big/heavy for any feats of athleticism.

BTW, the cooling racks were still on the worktop. Seemingly, whichever dog was responsible had delicately picked the target food off the racks without disturbing the racks themselves whatsoever.

ETA: or maybe we had an extremely greedy poltergeist!:oops:
A litre plastic jug with a broken handle that has only ever contained water is hardly likely to stimulate as much excitement in a Springer as a cooling rack full of sausage rolls.

Back