• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Just testing things, my first thought is are you entering the emojis from the emoji selection at the top of the box you type your reply into? They should work. If you’re adding them from a typewriter screen then they probably won’t work. I’m typing this on an iPad and it has an emoji button on the qwerty screen but when I try to enter something from there, no chance.

Just testing things, my first thought is are you entering the emojis from the emoji selection at the top of the box you type your reply into? They should work. If you’re adding them from a typewriter screen then they probably won’t work. I’m typing this on an iPad and it has an emoji button on the qwerty screen but when I try to enter something from there, no chance.

With respect to what's guaranteed to work ...

If you wish to enter a smiley / emoji into a post you need to use the ones provided by the forum itself.

If you wish to insert an image into your post you have to either attach the image to your post or insert a direct link to a remote site from which the image can be invoked.

Some are unusable (to me at least) without an ignore capability, since they have a significant number of lunatics.
Where would one find these places of lunatics?

I ask for a friend.

Anyway how about a 'back to top' button?

Anyway how about a 'back to top' button?
I’m currently browsing on an iPad and I the bottom right hand corner of the screen, when I scroll down a tiny bit a back to top arrow appears. Will check if it does this on a pc when I’m on next.

I’m currently browsing on an iPad and I the bottom right hand corner of the screen, when I scroll down a tiny bit a back to top arrow appears. Will check if it does this on a pc when I’m on next.
3F7E5FDC-DA43-43CF-B99A-BE0C058197B3.jpeg

Where would one find these places of lunatics?

I ask for a friend.
Oh, lots of places. There's Above Top Secret, or ATS. You'll find lots and lots of nuts there. Droolers too, and every type of conspiracy bleever imaginable. Last time I looked, there were some sane people still there, but they were badly outnumbered. If you have something bugging you and you dropped a large stone on your foot, say, to distract you but that didn't work, you could go to Godlike Productions, or GLP. I have not been there in years, but I didn't see anyone with a lick of sense when I did have the luxury of wasting time like that. Those are the two that spring to mind immediately. There are some others that have defunctuated and dissipated into the atomsphere, not much missed. They had some interesting stuff there, presumably lost forever. Other places, on technical topics and hobby stuff, benefit from an ignore feature. I use it to not have to look at one character's nonsensical run-on sentences, for example. Some people post Walls of Text, at times even in full on CAPS LOCK. Yikes! Makes my brain hurt.

Last edited:
Response to messages 858-860
Checked on my desktop and indeed the same arrow appears when you scroll up a little way so as far as I can tell there is a Back to Top Button.

Have you perhaps triggered the controls to 'Watch' / 'Follow' this thread? That would explain the notifications.
I joined intentionally, as I thought I had something to contribute. I was looking out for the emails and interested in what people had to say, but not at all interested in the personal 'banter' between people I don't know.

I joined intentionally, as I thought I had something to contribute. I was looking out for the emails and interested in what people had to say, but not at all interested in the personal 'banter' between people I don't know.

If you're receiving a lot of email notifications you'd rather not receive ...

- Click on your username at the top of any forum page. This will cause a drop-down menu to appear.

- Select 'Preferences'.

- You can adjust your watching and notification settings using the controls there.

If you elect to watch (monitor) any threads to which you post and / or with which you interact alerts will be generated. If you elect to receive email notifications for such alerts they will be issued to you.

You can shut off the issuance of emails for these notifications using the controls cited above. Any alerts will then be compiled and review-able only when you're visiting the forum. You can also choose which actions or changes will generate alerts in the first place.

If you're receiving a lot of email notifications you'd rather not receive ...

- Click on your username at the top of any forum page. This will cause a drop-down menu to appear.

- Select 'Preferences'.

- You can adjust your watching and notification settings using the controls there.

If you elect to watch (monitor) any threads to which you post and / or with which you interact alerts will be generated. If you elect to receive email notifications for such alerts they will be issued to you.

You can shut off the issuance of emails for these notifications using the controls cited above. Any alerts will then be compiled and review-able only when you're visiting the forum. You can also choose which actions or changes will generate alerts in the first place.
The notifications are fine. Thanks for the tip. It'll hep me choose what I get.

If you're on a PC you can press the 'home' key to go to the top. Or 'end' to go the other way.

I've a similar problem: I must have left the VPN on while surfing, causing my regular IP address to be banned in this board. I can get in only using the Tor browser.

I've a similar problem: I must have left the VPN on while surfing, causing my regular IP address to be banned in this board. I can get in only using the Tor browser.
That's interesting. I regularly need to use a VPN to log-in, because so many Vietnamese IP addresses seem to have been banned. My home IP address sometimes is whitelisted, and sometimes not - presumably it gets assigned dynamically by my ISP. My point being that, in my experience at least, VPN use doesn't obviously preclude logging in subsequently while "decloaked", as it were.

Have to say, the current smileys are crap. A search for a word like 'cat' can bring up a pile of non-related ones. (There doesn't seem to be a 'dog' one. Or a 'thanks' for that matter.)

The bigger ones holding implements high in the box aren't bad, but lower down it's a mess of tiny faces in various hues. Can't be much use on a phone.

Have to say, the current smileys are crap. A search for a word like 'cat' can bring up a pile of non-related ones. (There doesn't seem to be a 'dog' one. Or a 'thanks' for that matter.)

The bigger ones holding implements high in the box aren't bad, but lower down it's a mess of tiny faces in various hues. Can't be much use on a phone.
I use the “thumbs up” for thanks and like and agree. :badge:This one I enjoy occasionally lol.

That's interesting. I regularly need to use a VPN to log-in, because so many Vietnamese IP addresses seem to have been banned. My home IP address sometimes is whitelisted, and sometimes not - presumably it gets assigned dynamically by my ISP. My point being that, in my experience at least, VPN use doesn't obviously preclude logging in subsequently while "decloaked", as it were.

Sorry about that! It was a problem with Adguard for Desktop. I reset it to default and the problem disappeared.

Apologies (and shame, given my background) but could someone explain how the multi quote feature works? I've tried to use it a couple of times with lamentable failure.

Apologies (and shame, given my background) but could someone explain how the multi quote feature works? I've tried to use it a couple of times with lamentable failure.
Go to the posts you want to quote and click on +Quote.
Then click on the Insert quotes button that appears.
Remove the ones you don't want.
Click Quote messages.

Go to the posts you want to quote and click on +Quote.
Then click on the Insert quotes button that appears.
Remove the ones you don't want.
Click Quote messages.

... And edit the inserted quotes (e.g., remove unneeded text) as desired / appropriate for framing your intended response.

If you wish to break apart a chunk of quoted text (e.g., to respond to multiple points within a paragraph one-by-one) you'll have to break the text into appropriate chunks and manually bracket each chunk with quote tags. If you've quoted text the tags are already there, making it a matter of careful copy and paste.

I think you highlight the post or bits of text you want to quote, hit +Quote, these are then stored, you can store as many as you like, then you click "insert quote on your message and you can add the quotes to your post

This ia not problem, but some time ago I objected to being described as a non-existent hairy monster and replaced the description tag. I think I'm probably beyond that stage, could I request that I please revert to the default status? Thank you.

This ia not problem, but some time ago I objected to being described as a non-existent hairy monster and replaced the description tag. I think I'm probably beyond that stage, could I request that I please revert to the default status? Thank you.
Click on your name at the top right of the screen, you get a drop down menu, from there click on account details and go to custom title and you can put whatever you want in.

One additional note ...

If you want to revert to the default automatic label just leave the Custom Title field blank.

I just started using a popular VPN and when I have it turned on and try to access this forum my “IP address is banned”. I’ve tried changing which server I’m coming through but all seem to be similarly banned. Am I correct in deducing that this is because bad guys have in the past come through these same VPN servers to attempt unsavory actions against our forum site? And that I’m basically unable to use my shiny new VPN to come here? Urghhh.

This means of course that the NSA will continue to be able to monitor my activity here.

Back