• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

When I was about 8 I was moved out of the room I shared with my younger sister to a room connected to the main house by at that time an open verandah.
The toilet was outside as well and I was always nervous about going out to use it at night.
I also used to be afraid that there was something hiding under my bed.

When I was about 8 I was moved out of the room I shared with my younger sister to a room connected to the main house by at that time an open verandah.
The toilet was outside as well and I was always nervous about going out to use it at night.
I also used to be afraid that there was something hiding under my bed.
under your bed.jpg

My hanging baskets were lovely one summer's day and when I leaned on for a closer look I noticed a model dragonfly tucked in among the foliage. Oooh, how kind of Escette to pop that in there to surprise me! :D

When I was an inch away it suddenly buzzed RIGHT IN MY FACE! and flew off. o_O

I nearly dropped dead.

NOTE: The image's photographer is Joshua Hoffine. If you're not familiar with his work (and aren't afraid of full-tilt horror images) I highly recommend checking him out.

Oooooh, scary picatures! :chuckle:

When I was a kid we used to go for walks on a heath, and one day there was a tree that had fallen over and because the soil was all sandy, the roots were all bare. I have a 'memory' of standing there absolutely appalled. And the fear of these roots unnaturally sticking out of the ground straight at me stuck with me for years, to the extent that I couldn't help my mother do any weeding in the garden, because I couldn't bear to think of or (good god) touch the tiny wiggly tentacley roots all tickly and horrific. That definitely stuck with me into adulthood. (I think I'm a lot better now. But maybe not 100% cured even now).

My hanging baskets were lovely one summer's day and when I leaned on for a closer look I noticed a model dragonfly tucked in among the foliage. Oooh, how kind of Escette to pop that in there to surprise me! :D

When I was an inch away it suddenly buzzed RIGHT IN MY FACE! and flew off. o_O

I nearly dropped dead.
I had similar happen in my old dads shed. Saw something in there hanging on the tools and implements and thought 'oh thats pretty' ... approached to get a 17 foot wingspan (ok slight exaggeration but I was 8) hawkmoth of some type come at me with fangs bared. I was out the shed sharpish.

A couple of things I can remember:

I actually made a passing reference this on another thread just t'other day, but my parents had an LP of 'household sounds'. Don't know what it was called or what evil entity decided to make such a collection, but the 'hoover' sound frightened the daylights out of me, it was loud and horrid.

The ITV schools countdown clock - I was terrified that when the last segment disappeared, the television would blow up. This was even worse at school because unlike our black and white telly at home, the school telly was a colour one and it had a larger screen (and was awfully loud) so the strange blue background and yellow segments seemed even more terrifying than the at-home version. (To this day I cannot watch the end of that countdown clock on youtube, even though I generally love tv idents and things of that nature).

Oh and the Pink Panther theme tune. The bit where the trumpet/trombone/whatever goes loud, I hated that.
Sounds like an old bbc sound effects album

R-2937697-1390181812-2150.jpeg.jpg

I was also afraid of the sound of the toilet flush. It was just so sudden and loud, I used to try to get back down the stairs and back with my family before it stopped doing the initital 'raaaaaah' sound...

Ha!ha! When I was 10 we moved to our council house and for the first time had a flush toilet! Of course I'd come across them before but not that often in daily life. In our old house we had a spidery backyard privy (wooden seat over a bucket that got emptied into a deep hole in the garden) the village school and my nearby relatives had similar arrangements.

Whilst I used to keep a wary eye on the spiders in the old toilet I wasn't actually terrified of them just a little bit scared. That bloody flush though!! I see from reading this thread that I wasn't the only one who raced to the bottom of the stairs feeling a deep fear before it finished flushing! Well I already knew that as my ex husband had told me that he used to do the same thing! lol

You'll be pleased to know that at 71 I'm now used to flush toilets .......but it still feels just a little bit wrong to have toilets in the house and to have to waste all that water :)

Sollywos x

My Dad saying when I was a teen. "You've got watch your BACK with lesbians!! Or they'll have their way!!"

Until I was 4or 5 I was terrified of people with curly red hair- Used to scream "witchh" and run away or cry whenever my aunt came near ( or any other redhead) No-one knew why as we did not have color TV and its unlikely that anyone had read me any graphiic novel or stories at that age.

When i was a kid i was scared of Tom Bakers Doctor Who, i was fine with the daleks and cybermen etc just scared of Tom, i loved the show but would watch it from behind the sofa, literally. lol
I loved the cybermen and daleks too. I actually loved Daleks a little too much and ended up in that erotic movie Abducted By The Daleks!

Until I was 4or 5 I was terrified of people with curly red hair- Used to scream "witchh" and run away or cry whenever my aunt came near ( or any other redhead) No-one knew why as we did not have color TV and its unlikely that anyone had read me any graphiic novel or stories at that age.
didn't read comics at that time you missed out on the curly red head Witch of the Black Rose

I've just remembered my childhood illogical fear, which was not that there was a monster under the bed, but rather that there were spiders and scorpions at the bottom of my bed under the duvet. This explains why I used to sleep in a curled up ball. Because obviously Peterborough is AWASH with scorpions...!

Sean Connery in the early Bond movies - I knew he was supposed to be attractive to women but my God he was so HAIRY. I imagined his chest hair extending all down his back - nightmare. Not like my hero, the non-hirsute Simon Templar.
Ian Ogilvy? lol

A couple of things I can remember:

I actually made a passing reference this on another thread just t'other day, but my parents had an LP of 'household sounds'. Don't know what it was called or what evil entity decided to make such a collection, but the 'hoover' sound frightened the daylights out of me, it was loud and horrid.

The ITV schools countdown clock - I was terrified that when the last segment disappeared, the television would blow up. This was even worse at school because unlike our black and white telly at home, the school telly was a colour one and it had a larger screen (and was awfully loud) so the strange blue background and yellow segments seemed even more terrifying than the at-home version. (To this day I cannot watch the end of that countdown clock on youtube, even though I generally love tv idents and things of that nature).

Try Quentin Smirhes’ QTV clock. That might cure it:

Back