• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historic UFO Encounters: Newspaper / Magazine Articles

A snapshot from 1975, which might be of interest and hopefully attached as a .pdf file.

Attachments

• The_Montgomery_Advertiser_Fri__Jan_24__1975_.pdf
    376.3 KB · Views: 25
An experiment!

Might this work... it's a full page newspaper capture, featuring a related article and which I am simply providing a link to via a website I have set up.

www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_001.jpg

Being hosted on a website instead of an attachment, does the file size cause any problems?

As for the article and accompanying photographs... of any research value?

Might this work... it's a full page newspaper capture, featuring a related article and which I am simply providing a link to via a website I have set up.
www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_001.jpg
Being hosted on a website instead of an attachment, does the file size cause any problems? ...

No - no more of a problem than readers may have in downloading any 1.2 Mb graphic file.

However ... There remains the prospective problem of the image being lost if the remote site ever disappears, thus rendering any posts here citing the image as less informative or even totally useless.

However - just for illustration ... The relevant story could have been posted more economically by posting it as a graphic excerpt. Here's an example that's only half the byte-size of the full page ...

MI-StClairUFO-!.jpg

MI-StClairUFO-2.jpg

I've never seen those objects before...
Excellent, neither have I... :)

Important because I ran a speculative search through the newspapers.com archives, for that year only and there's a massive amount of related material which is completely new to myself.

If you haven't seen it either, then it surely might be worth highlighting.

As always, it's a historical snapshot and many of the reports seem to be from small, local newspapers.

More to come... that's why I needed a website.

One more which is new to myself and shall contemplate before highlighting any further articles which may not be so well known.

The intention is to avoid attaching any images, simply provide a brief description and link if they might be of interest.

This file is only 364k and still seems readable.

www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_002.jpg

Excellent, neither have I... :)

Important because I ran a speculative search through the newspapers.com archives, for that year only and there's a massive amount of related material which is completely new to myself.

If you haven't seen it either, then it surely might be worth highlighting.

As always, it's a historical snapshot and many of the reports seem to be from small, local newspapers.

More to come... that's why I needed a website.
Are you searching through newspapers.com? It will be interesting to see the whole new world of articles that will come from a different search tack and the use of different search terms.

One more which is new to myself and shall contemplate before highlighting any further articles which may not be so well known.

The intention is to avoid attaching any images, simply provide a brief description and link if they might be of interest.

This file is only 364k and still seems readable.

www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_002.jpg
That is a GREAT one!!
You should hoist these puppies into the Historic Newspapers thread! If you can clip 'em or save them as .jpgs
You should have at TROVE too:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/advanced/category/newspapers

Are you searching through newspapers.com?
Yes, religiously. :p

Just an idea which came from discussions elsewhere re the Trudel photos (on which, I can find no mention other than the two articles noted therein).

A simple search for 'ufo and 'photos' from contemporary reports brought up numerous cases I had never heard about.

Possibly because they were local newspaper articles and not so much published elsewhere?

Yes, religiously. :p

Just an idea which came from discussions elsewhere re the Trudel photos (on which, I can find no mention other than the two articles noted therein).

A simple search for 'ufo and 'photos' from contemporary reports brought up numerous cases I had never heard about.

Possibly because they were local newspaper articles and not so much published elsewhere?
I tried to find more stuff abut Trudel, but don't think I searched the databases for his name (iirc). He thought he was in touch with space brothers and there is an odd video he took that many think is a hoax --Eburacum posted it in the Trudel thread, I think. When I was in communication with Emily Trudeau (grand-niece) about the pictures, I got the feeling that the family always thought they were real. After the weird synchronicities I experienced, I think anything is possible with UFOs --think of the implications of UFOs being able "anticipate" actions and events as mentioned in the Drive article.

Zoomed, contrast and brightness adjusted:

View attachment 34669
"A final report dated January 1959 elaborated on these inconsistencies but reached a conclusion nonetheless. The observer had photographed a lenticular cloud."

The "object" in the photo was concluded to be a lenticular cloud. That would be the last thing I would call it myself, whatever it is.. :D
It looks like it might be real, but hard to say for sure.. It kind of looks like there are symmetrical nub-like projections on top of a slightly downcurved Dorito-shaped object:

afixedtestredlands.jpg

Last edited:
Still at the beginning of numerous intriguing 1967 articles which have surfaced.

The reason for capturing an entire page, is that a feature of interest can be spread over several columns, etc. and just too problematic for extracting.

One thing I haven't got around to yet is searching for 'ufo' and 'triangle'. That could be interesting!

I don't expect to inadvertently come across anything conceivably related from 1967, pretty sure I won't and...

www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_004.jpg

kinda looks like an aircraft. One of the wedge wing designs. Stuff like those Stealth bombers may be from after this date, but experimental prototypes have reportedly been in the works since WW2.

Nothing more than the planet Venus seen through a layer of swamp gas caught in an atmospheric temperature inversion......pretty obvious when you think about it! Now, if you’d kindly look at this neuralizer for a moment!

A real Gem!! F*cking farcical.. People just don't look back just a short time ago to find amazing stuff. It takes about three generations to forget things like world wars, and big UFO events; it's why we NEVER learn from history Grandad and Grandma die and it is lost with them, and the grandkids think the Nazis looked cool...

If it is a craft I think it would look like this:
View attachment 34672
I'd actually make the two black bosses on the near side slightly elevated out of their position as independent round embedded objects abut to depart. Just like the round objects emerging from the larger objects in formation in the surviving Farmington photo:

index.php

cdn

Frederick Zigel talks about Soviet astronomers observing discs with small round objects embedded on the rims that would rotate around the middle and periodically fly off.

A real Gem!!
I thought that report was quite possibly worth a mention. :badge:

Whilst statedly not one for a 'cover-up' take on the subject, having spent a fair amount of time the past few days revisiting newspaper reports circa 1965-67, I was struck by a public perception, even 50+ years ago that such a situation existed.

Some 20 years after Arnold's inaugural account, it seems there was still a 'climate of fear' within the top level government and military, especially of course the Air Force.

It appears to be more a case of uncertainty, than anything otherwise.

That aside, one newspaper front page caught my eye and seems to sum up the era perfectly.

I've never seen this before - Kenneth Arnold commenting on "swamp gas', alongside a feature reporting the very same.

Arnold's remarks concerning his later 'encounters' are fascinating.

Brilliant stuff - the essence of ufology!

www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_201.jpg

The following newspaper article is seminal.
www.forteanmedia.com/newspaper_202.jpg

I notice this 1966 article commits (or maybe just repeats ... ) the error of claiming Arnold had described the 1947 objects as "saucer-like", when in fact it was their manner of movement that he described as akin to that of a saucer skipping across water.

Alternatively ... During the intervening two decades had Arnold himself begun referring to the objects themselves as resembling saucers?

Maybe this AP writer was simply being sloppy. After all, his(?) caption for the accompanying photo commits another obvious error - calling the third-party artist's conception a drawing that Arnold made himself. As noted multiple times elsewhere on this forum, Arnold's own1947 sketch illustrating what he'd seen looked nothing like the crescent / batarang shaped object in the picture he's shown holding.

This is a spin-off from researching newspaper archives and dates to June, 1948.

As such and give it's proximity to the genesis of our 'flying saucers', I must advocate we consider the following document to be of paramount historical importance.

Therein, is what surely constitutes some of the earliest collection of related material?

Courtesy of the University of Iowa and available to download as a .pdf file, please enjoy!

Screenshot_20210206-033444.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6370&context=etd&ved=2ahUKEwjx_s_-ptTuAhV2QEEAHVCcDCEQFjAEegQIDRAB&usg=AOvVaw3IIlbbxwsfN-CpSS2TZhmy

Back