• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

1.my arse is it - CORRECT
2.Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free
Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night
Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night
Blackbird singing in the dead of night… - INCORRECT (wrong 'Blackbird')
3.arr - CORRECT
4.arrrr - INCORRECT (it's an acknowledged sh*thole, even by the residents of Bridgwater)

Only 2/4 correctly answered - back you go into 't'North' (ie., Wiltshire) :hahazebs:

Last edited:
They were great for amateur dramatics, school plays etc...and for playing the sound of torrential rain in order to cool down on a hot day.

A very long time lurker here apart from a posting on the missing teaspoon thread a few months back.

When I was about 20 (1977, I think) I worked at Pye Records in Mitcham, South London, as a music tester. I worked on the night shift and although I hadn't told my employers it was a job for 6 months or so so as I could save up for long long holiday in Greece. It was a factory that stamped out records on presses and my job each night was to be assigned 6 presses and at set intervals I would go and get a record from each press and check it for various imperfections. Part of the job was to play a record from each press in room that had about 20 or so other music testers all with their own presses to check on. We had state of the art record decks, amplifiers and head phones. I think it they were made by B & O.

At times it was a great job especially if I had 6 different records on each press. The supervisor tried to arrange it so as each music tester would listen to the type of music liked by the tester but that wasn't always possible. For a one week period all I had to test was the BBC's More Death and Horror. After a few days I would go to sleep after work and all I could hear in my head was sounds like Falling Scream, Death by Burial, At the Dentist, Death by Garroting, Wind Through Crack in Door, and so on all in superb quality. I ended up having nightmares for a short while. Now though they are just sounds on a record and years back in the past.

Edit: I'd forgotten until I looked at the list, the one that always made me laugh for some reason. It's listed as Death of a Fly. I remember it as Death of a Fly in a Power Press or similar. You hear the sound of the power press opening, a sound of the fly walking or crawling (?), the sound of the press shutting and then the crunch sound of the fly being crushed. I seem to remember that on the LP they described how the sound effects were made and it was all very simple. I seem to remember the Gouging Eyeballs was done with potatoes.

https://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-BBC-Sound-Effects-No-21-More-Death-And-Horror/release/967744

Last edited:
When I was about 20 (1977, I think) I worked at Pye Records in Mitcham, South London, as a music tester.

Welcome and Wow! Your time there was probably a bit late in the history of Pye Records for you to have any information about the company's involvement in EVP experiments. References appear in some sources but details have always been elusive. Just wondering!

Before we all overheat, I think the engineers' conclusions were negative. :)

But there was my aunt's terrifying outside toilet, perched like some rickety and malevolent Tardis in the back of her garden, way out in the middle of nowhere.
Wish I hadn't read that...

You remind of when I was around 5 years old and we lived in a typical old Glasgow three storey tenement, which has a shared outside toilet in the building.

Whether it was the fact there was no internal lighting on the stairs, or in the toilet, or when you had to visit at night the need for a dimly lit torch, the plethora of spiders hanging from the toilet ceiling, or the toilet paper consisting of torn up newspaper...

Thinking back... no wonder I was absolutely terrified.

This would be my era as a young child and thankfully the following episode was never shown.

Anyone else find it still scary!

Sara and Hoppity in Colour. Very spooky! Unaired pilot episode, early 1960s

Don't even have to play the video—just the still image of it is scary!

Don't even have to play the video—just the still image of it is scary!
Having perused some of that contemporary, 'new puppet animation for children', I think we might be in agreement.

Anyone want to watch this? :evil:

Screenshot_20210209-052350_compress22~2.jpg

I never got into any 'classic' Nickolodeon cartoons like Rugrats or Aaaargh Real Monsters because the animation just looked so off to me. Some shows illustrated lips onto characters and to me it looked just frightening.
But how about that sketch in Sesame Street where Bert and Ernie are in the pyramid and the statue keeps coming to life?

A very long time lurker here apart from a posting on the missing teaspoon thread a few months back.

When I was about 20 (1977, I think) I worked at Pye Records in Mitcham, South London, as a music tester. I worked on the night shift and although I hadn't told my employers it was a job for 6 months or so so as I could save up for long long holiday in Greece. It was a factory that stamped out records on presses and my job each night was to be assigned 6 presses and at set intervals I would go and get a record from each press and check it for various imperfections. Part of the job was to play a record from each press in room that had about 20 or so other music testers all with their own presses to check on. We had state of the art record decks, amplifiers and head phones. I think it they were made by B & O.

At times it was a great job especially if I had 6 different records on each press. The supervisor tried to arrange it so as each music tester would listen to the type of music liked by the tester but that wasn't always possible. For a one week period all I had to test was the BBC's More Death and Horror. After a few days I would go to sleep after work and all I could hear in my head was sounds like Falling Scream, Death by Burial, At the Dentist, Death by Garroting, Wind Through Crack in Door, and so on all in superb quality. I ended up having nightmares for a short while. Now though they are just sounds on a record and years back in the past.

Edit: I'd forgotten until I looked at the list, the one that always made me laugh for some reason. It's listed as Death of a Fly. I remember it as Death of a Fly in a Power Press or similar. You hear the sound of the power press opening, a sound of the fly walking or crawling (?), the sound of the press shutting and then the crunch sound of the fly being crushed. I seem to remember that on the LP they described how the sound effects were made and it was all very simple. I seem to remember the Gouging Eyeballs was done with potatoes.

https://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-BBC-Sound-Effects-No-21-More-Death-And-Horror/release/967744

Now there's a coincidence - I've literally just bought that LP from Discogs, then clicked along to the next tab in me browser to find your post!

First on the list is:
The Platform (2019) Gore, Survival, Cannibalism, Elevators, Extreme, Isolation, Madness, Survival Games

. . . that's entertainment !??! :eek:
It's a movie about the US Congress??

As a child, I only had a "behind the sofa" moment when watching Doctor Who (back in the days when it was a children's programme): it was when The Doctor (I think) reached in and pulled out the silver globe from the body of the yeti.
Dunno why. The yeti didn't scare me as such, and the series as a whole I found entertaining. It was just that one incident. Could watch it afterwards ... until Sylvester McCoy's incarnation. Then lost interest. :)

As a child, I only had a "behind the sofa" moment when watching Doctor Who (back in the days when it was a children's programme): it was when The Doctor (I think) reached in and pulled out the silver globe from the body of the yeti.
Dunno why. The yeti didn't scare me as such, and the series as a whole I found entertaining. It was just that one incident. Could watch it afterwards ... until Sylvester McCoy's incarnation. Then lost interest. :)
My cousin Claire, when very young, would run behind the sofa when she saw a monster on Doctor Who. She'd call it a 'monter' rather than a 'monster'.

This would be my era as a young child and thankfully the following episode was never shown.

Anyone else find it still scary!

Sara and Hoppity in Colour. Very spooky! Unaired pilot episode, early 1960s

Fecksake. What was it with the 1960s and terrifying children's programmes?

I never got into any 'classic' Nickolodeon cartoons like Rugrats or Aaaargh Real Monsters because the animation just looked so off to me. Some shows illustrated lips onto characters and to me it looked just frightening.
But how about that sketch in Sesame Street where Bert and Ernie are in the pyramid and the statue keeps coming to life?
My eldest (now 31 and a very sedate programmer) was absolutely terrified by that episode of Pingu where Pingu's in a cave. He cried and cried - loved Pingu and every other one, just not the cave. Always had to get to it quick, to fast forward that one.

I saw Harris live at Glastonbury in 1999 (i think) and the crowd was as big as it was for Coldplay and this was in the middle of the afternoon!!!
I saw Gary Glitter in the 80s when he was playing the student unions. Place was packed out. Luckily, we were all safe as over 18.

We also had a certain presenter from an 80s' kids' TV show - one who I don't think popped up (sorry) in Yew Tree, etc. He was desperately trying to cop off with the not-underage but definitely less than half his age and totally freaked out by him, female students. Just vile.

When Operation Yew Tree happened, my husband - who used to book the acts that played his college student union in the 70s - said to me "You watch, they'll arrest X". They arrested X.

Just checked his wiki page and apparently he got a slew of Not Guilty verdicts but a suspended sentence for one of them. Must have been lack of corroborating evidence or something as my husband knew this bloke's rep so well, he was absolutely positive he'd be pulled in.

Thing is, in retrospect, adults of the day might've been aware of their proclivities. The fans wouldn't. Thus, the 'fear' of certain artiste's dangers wouldn't have been so obvious.
In these days, such horrible 'tastes' in groupies still goes on. The trick is providing proof and finding someone who wants to take things further.

Each Easter we used to go to visit my grandparents in Bendigo and go to watch the Easter Parade.
As there were many Chinese people there since the goldrush days there was a dragon as part of it.
I remember being terrified of the crackers they threw around when the dragon danced ,not actually the dragon.

Back