• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

'Tis perfectly acceptable American English, and Enola is American I believe.

I'm not angry with you @catseye but I am very disappointed. :wink2:
I apologise to Enola - but 'burglarize' isn't a real word. To burgle. I was burgled. He burgled my house. Isn't that easier?

I apologise to Enola - but 'burglarize' isn't a real word. To burgle. I was burgled. He burgled my house. Isn't that easier?
Aha! It may be easier, but if you look at the etymology, "burgle" as a verb is a back form. "Burglary" was the original word and referred to the offence. Because the "ar" sounds similar to the "er" or "or" in words like "runner" or "solicitor" it came to be assumed that burglary was committed by a "burgler" and therefore that a burgler was one who performed the verb of "burgling".

So the version that we know and love in British English is, in a sense, no more "correct" than the American version. It is just more familiar, and more economical with the syllables.

In a similar vein (thinking of "vulgar Americanisms") the word "gotten" is in fact an older form of English than the modern British use of "got". In British English, the "en" ending still goes with the past tense of a few verbs like break/broken, speak/spoken, take/taken, but it is rare.

Aha! It may be easier, but if you look at the etymology, "burgle" as a verb is a back form. "Burglary" was the original word and referred to the offence. Because the "ar" sounds similar to the "er" or "or" in words like "runner" or "solicitor" it came to be assumed that burglary was committed by a "burgler" and therefore that a burgler was one who performed the verb of "burgling".

So the version that we know and love in British English is, in a sense, no more "correct" than the American version. It is just more familiar, and more economical with the syllables.

In a similar vein (thinking of "vulgar Americanisms") the word "gotten" is in fact an older form of English than the modern British use of "got". In British English, the "en" ending still goes with the past tense of a few verbs like break/broken, speak/spoken, take/taken, but it is rare.
I personally dont have an issue with 'gotten' if used correctly, aa in 'he still hasnt gotten over the incident last year', sounds a lot better than 'he still hasnt got over that incident last year'.

"Gotten" is a perfectly good word to use in Scotland, like "outwith".

Haha sorry, as i have said before, big fingers tiny key pad, along with in-built impatience (not checking before i post), that and no edit function on the android version of this MB. :p
Ooh, didn’t know there wasn’t an edit function on the Android version, thanks for the info.

"Gotten" is a perfectly good word to use in Scotland, like "outwith".
Outwith is a totally brilliant word and I don’t know why the rest of the English speaking world doesn’t adopt it forthwith.

Ooh, didn’t know there wasn’t an edit function on the Android version, thanks for the info.
Well there isnt on my version :p
Screenshot_20210129-235940.jpg

I remember this very well indeed, including the subsequent Daily Mirror front page photo of a policeman carrying the dead dog with the headline THE DOG OF DEATH.
Hmm undoubtedly a tragic case but as with most of these cases of 'man goes into sea/lake/river to rescue dog' the tragedy could hace been easily avoided for in most cases the dog makes its own way out of it predicament, did the police not think to call the coast guard, i know nowadays the police have very strict proceedures when it comes to entering dangerous situations, to the point where, i remember a few years back a copper refused to enter a knee deep boating lake to rescue somebody, learning from your mistakes is one thing, but it can go too far the other way.

Scottish transgender musician Sophie has died:
Obit

One for the Rest in Peace thread, but she apparently died in her home in Greece by climbing up to look at the full moon, then slipping and falling. What?! I'm not sure if that's poetic or bizarre. Only 34, though, no age.

Scottish transgender musician Sophie has died:
Obit

One for the Rest in Peace thread, but she apparently died in her home in Greece by climbing up to look at the full moon, then slipping and falling. What?! I'm not sure if that's poetic or bizarre. Only 34, though, no age.
Reminds me of the tragic death if Rod Hull, who slipped from his roof whilst trying to adjust his TV ariel to watch Man Utds champions league final game with Dortman in 1999.

Reminds me of the tragic death if Rod Hull, who slipped from his roof whilst trying to adjust his TV ariel to watch Man Utds champions league final game with Dortman in 1999.
At pretty much the same time Peter Purves had a very similar accident but it resulted in him breaking both of his ankles instead.

It's a.... corpse!

A man was killed at a baby shower in Michigan after a celebratory cannon exploded
By Amanda Watts and Scottie Andrew, CNN
Updated 2001 GMT (0401 HKT) February 8, 2021

A man died after a small cannon exploded at a baby shower held at a home in Gaines Township, Michigan, on Saturday, February 6.

(CNN)A man attending a baby shower was killed when a small cannon exploded in the back yard of a home near Flint, Michigan, police said.

Evan Thomas Silva, 26, died Saturday after he was struck by shrapnel from the cannon, which was fired to "celebrate the baby's pending arrival," Michigan State Police said in a statement.

When the cannon was fired by the homeowner, police said the cannon blew up, spraying metal shrapnel across the yard that struck Silva, three vehicles and the garage of the home in Gaines Township.

Silva was standing about 10 to 15 feet away from the cannon, and was the only person hit by shrapnel, police said. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Full Story:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/man-killed-cannon-baby-shower-trnd/index.html

It's a.... corpse!

A man was killed at a baby shower in Michigan after a celebratory cannon exploded

A man died after a small cannon exploded at a baby shower held at a home in Gaines Township, Michigan, on Saturday, February 6.

(CNN)A man attending a baby shower was killed when a small cannon exploded in the back yard of a home near Flint, Michigan, police said.

Evan Thomas Silva, 26, died Saturday after he was struck by shrapnel from the cannon, which was fired to "celebrate the baby's pending arrival," Michigan State Police said in a statement.

When the cannon was fired by the homeowner, police said the cannon blew up, spraying metal shrapnel across the yard that struck Silva, three vehicles and the garage of the home in Gaines Township.

Silva was standing about 10 to 15 feet away from the cannon, and was the only person hit by shrapnel, police said. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Full Story:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/man-killed-cannon-baby-shower-trnd/index.html

"Guns don't kill people."

It's a.... corpse!

Full Story:

One in, one out.

Another heartbreaking story

Romania baptisms: Six-week-old baby's death sparks calls for change

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-55948364
There was a video going round a whole ago showing a baby being vigorously dunked in the font.

When I looked for it just now I came across one of a mother grabbing her baby back from a priest who was trying to immerse him.

The baby, unimpressed by the cold water, was screaming and fighting back. Goid for him.

Don't know if the death was strange, but the body was found on air by an Australian weatherman:
News story

(The footage is blurred deliberately out of respect). Oddly, there seems to be another body found nearby, the victim's friend. The man seems to be British, the woman Australian.

Back