• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

There was an episode of the original Star Trek where Kirk and Spock were chased by a lava monster. It looked like a badly cut slab of lasagna but freaked me out to a disproportionate extent.

star-trek.w700.h467.jpg

There was an episode of the original Star Trek where Kirk and Spock were chased by a lava monster. It looked like a badly cut slab of lasagna but freaked me out to a disproportionate extent.

star-trek.w700.h467.jpg
I watched this very episode again for the first time in decades just the other day lol (Spocks mind-meld, truely shakespearian acting at its hammiest from Nimoy haha)

There are at least a couple of episodes of Dr Who featuring a T-Rex

View attachment 35012

And also Dinosaurs on a Space Ship. The first appearance of dinosaurs was in 1970 in the Silurians. They don’t have things like the venom grubs from the Dalek Invasion of Earth. And there are some random robots included when others just as important are excluded.

And also Dinosaurs on a Space Ship. The first appearance of dinosaurs was in 1970 in the Silurians. They don’t have things like the venom grubs from the Dalek Invasion of Earth. And there are some random robots included when others just as important are excluded.
To be honest doing a list like this is setting yourself up to miss somethings out.

I believe the Silurians 'dinosaur' was something they created rather than a real dinosaur lol

I believe the Silurians 'dinosaur' was something they created rather than a real dinosaur lol
Nope it’s a dinosaur, the novelisation of the story calls it multiple times a T. rex. It’s never named in the episode, BBC documentation refers to it as a supposedly extinct dinosaur and the call sheets for the recording call it Bertram the friendly monster!

Nope it’s a dinosaur, the novelisation of the story calls it multiple times a T. rex. It’s never named in the episode, BBC documentation refers to it as a supposedly extinct dinosaur and the call sheets for the recording call it Bertram the friendly monster!
I was just going by this:-

According to one account, the Tyrannosaur species that guarded the Silurian caves in Wenley Moor was in fact a Tyrannosaurus rex. (PROSE: Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters). However, another account suggested that this was a species genetically created by the Silurians themselves, with the Doctor stating that he did not recognise it from the Mesozoic age. (TV: Doctor Who and the Silurians)

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Tyrannosaurus_rex

I was just going by this:-

According to one account, the Tyrannosaur species that guarded the Silurian caves in Wenley Moor was in fact a Tyrannosaurus rex. (PROSE: Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters). However, another account suggested that this was a species genetically created by the Silurians themselves, with the Doctor stating that he did not recognise it from the Mesozoic age. (TV: Doctor Who and the Silurians)

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Tyrannosaurus_rex
The relevant part in the script says

DOCTOR: Anybody would think you were disappointed that I didn't get lost.
LIZ: Come on, Doctor. You get everyone worried, then turn up safe and sound.
BAKER: You shouldn't have gone, sir.
DOCTOR: Well, it produced results, didn't it?
BRIGADIER: Subterranean Loch Ness monster? Very helpful.
DOCTOR: Oh, so you don't believe me?
BRIGADIER: Oh, I believe you saw something. The question is what.
LIZ: You weren't very specific.
DOCTOR: Well, I hardly had time to draw its picture, did I? All I can tell you is that it was something very, very large, and something very, very alive.
LIZ: Could it have been prehistoric?
DOCTOR: Well, it was certainly some kind of dinosaur. Certainly nothing that I've ever seen before, though.
BAKER: In museums, you mean?
DOCTOR: No, I do not mean in museums. Well, on second thoughts, perhaps, perhaps I do, yes.

He later on describes it as something that died out millions of years ago.

In the televised story there is no suggestion that the creature was made by the Silurians, it was simply a dinosaur that died out millions of years ago that the Doctor did not recognise.

DOCTOR: Well, I hardly had time to draw its picture, did I? All I can tell you is that it was something very, very large, and something very, very alive.
DOCTOR: Well, it was certainly some kind of dinosaur. Certainly nothing that I've ever seen before, though.
DOCTOR: No, I do not mean in museums. Well, on second thoughts, perhaps, perhaps I do, yes.

In the televised story there is no suggestion that the creature was made by the Silurians, it was simply a dinosaur that died out millions of years ago that the Doctor did not recognise.
Not a T-Rex then :p

I have to admit that, although i have watched DW for years im no expert on the programme :p

The most traumatic thing ever was when my dad took me to see a traditional, 'Punch and Judy' show, replete with a crocodile, assault with a large stick and all portrayed right in front of you as 'real'.

Which as a 4-5 year old, it was.

"That's the way to do it"... :eek:

I recall (as an adult) being fascinated by a particularly gruesome and gothic P&J show in a shopping mall a few years ago.
When Judy goes off to do the shopping, she leaves the baby in the care of Mr Punch and asks the children watching (must have been 20 of them sitting around) to shout out if Mr Punch mistreats the baby. He threw it in the air and dropped it, threatened to feed it to the crocodile and bashed it on the floor a few times. When Judy came back, Mr Punch said "Oh dear - another cot death!" I think a policeman then turned up and beat the proverbial out of Mr Punch - who ends up meeting the devil. Blimey, I thought. This is truly dark! But the kids seemed to like it!

I think we all know who the dinosaur is here. ;)

I had to visit local Tesco, which has them, yesterday and realised I genuinely do not.

Anyone else still hesitate and count to three before stepping on, then jump off at the end... just in case.
So none of you have to use the subway (aka metro), or you take the stairs? I got used to them living in Toronto and taking the subway. Come on, you can do it! :cheer:

I had to visit local Tesco, which has them, yesterday and realised I genuinely do not.

Anyone else still hesitate and count to three before stepping on, then jump off at the end... just in case.

There are 'narrow escape' videos on YouTube that feature faulty escalators.
One has the top steps collapsing seconds after a father and little son step off. o_O

We do of course have a lovely thread on them. :D

Carnage On The Escalators

Came across this photo on Facebook today.

This roundabout was at the market in my home town from the '50s up to the early '90s.
Generations of local kids were avid customers.

What I didn't like was the very poor artwork. On the left here is the wooden fire engine decorated with some kind of animal/fireman hybrid. Its face was a crudely-drawn profile that was probably copied from the Rupert cartoon.

Just a few black lines, with what looked to little Me like an intensely cruel expression. Not exactly scary but puzzling.

What I understand better now is that whoever drew it did their crappy best.

My father's family were artistic and any adult related to Dad could have done a better job. I thought all adults could draw and paint.

So I assumed Mr Fireman had been deliberately drawn that way, to scare small children. :chuckle:

old market roundabout 2.jpg

Escalators.

I still don't trust them.

Me neither! I can remember standing at the bottom of one of the great long bu88ers in the London Underground watching my parents (who assumed I'd followed them on) disappearing. I'd burst into tears and then a total stranger picked me and put me on! 65 years later I'm still avoiding the damn things!

Sollywos x

Me neither! I can remember standing at the bottom of one of the great long bu88ers in the London Underground watching my parents (who assumed I'd followed them on) disappearing. I'd burst into tears and then a total stranger picked me and put me on! 65 years later I'm still avoiding the damn things!

Sollywos x

Escalators, not so much - although I did have a smilier experience on an escalator in Woolie's in Peterborough when I was very young, I got on, my mum changed her mind and didn't, and then I tried to get back off again - it didn't go well.

Travelators, on the other hand, unnerve me. I've got dodgy knees and for some reason, every time I get close to the end, I can just see myself crumpling into a heap as I step off and getting trampled by the hordes behind me.

Escalators? Meh.
I've used so many over the years, while being sober, drunk, overladen with luggage, just plain bored, I have never ever been scared of using them. I can see many You Tube horror accounts of escalator accidents - up to and including the Kings Cross fire - and it never occurs to me "Eeek! I've had a lucky escape!"*
I watched this very episode again for the first time in decades just the other day lol (Spocks mind-meld, truely shakespearian acting at its hammiest from Nimoy haha)
You're right about the ham acting but, in concept, the Horta was quite new. It wasn't a "god-like Being", it wasn't a bloke with funny make-up who we could speak to. It was a genuine alien. After the Horta, it took a while to get to the ST:TNG episode "Darmok" to push the same boundaries.
And, yeah, it was a bloke on what could be described as a skateboard. But at least it wasn't a bloke in a gorilla suit, the head replaced by a divers helmet!

* Naturally I do not discount peoples fears. But they are their own, not mine. Like arachnophobes - I sympathise but cannot feel the same.

Escalators? Meh.
I've used so many over the years, while being sober, drunk, overladen with luggage, just plain bored, I have never ever been scared of using them. I can see many You Tube horror accounts of escalator accidents - up to and including the Kings Cross fire - and it never occurs to me "Eeek! I've had a lucky escape!"*

You're right about the ham acting but, in concept, the Horta was quite new. It wasn't a "god-like Being", it wasn't a bloke with funny make-up who we could speak to. It was a genuine alien. After the Horta, it took a while to get to the ST:TNG episode "Darmok" to push the same boundaries.
And, yeah, it was a bloke on what could be described as a skateboard. But at least it wasn't a bloke in a gorilla suit, the head replaced by a divers helmet!

* Naturally I do not discount peoples fears. But they are their own, not mine. Like arachnophobes - I sympathise but cannot feel the same.
I agree it is a good story, pretty enviromentalist for its day, and a 'look in the mirror and ask who is the monster' type attitude, definitely my favourite from the original series.

Darmok is my all time favourite episode of ST:TNG. Wonderful stuff.

I remember an episode of Crossroads. My mum had left me downstairs whilst she took my baby brother upstairs for a bath. I must have been around six? TV on, Crossroads playing so I was half watching, sitting playing. And then I look up and there's a scene where a lady goes into her room and there's a lump in the bed. I was horrified, and couldn't look away.

And then the lump moved.

I ran upstairs screaming and I have never found out what it was. I presume a cat or dog or something but the whole thing gave me the absolute heebie jeebies for years, just thinking about it.

Back