• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I wouldn't even want to give some people I've known to own dogs the idea that walking your dog might be OPTIONAL.

Huh, we had a neighbour whom you wouldn't have known kept a dog were it not for the fact that you could hear it barking occasionally. It was kept in a large cage at the side of the house. I couldn't even tell you what breed it was, even though I went up there once or twice to call for the daughter of the house.

Huh, we had a neighbour whom you wouldn't have known kept a dog were it not for the fact that you could hear it barking occasionally. It was kept in a large cage at the side of the house. I couldn't even tell you what breed it was, even though I went up there once or twice to call for the daughter of the house.
We had neighbours who had a GSD. He was too big and strong for mum or any of the kids to walk him, so he could only be walked by the father of the family, who was only occasionally there. They didn't even have a garden, just a side yard, and the poor creature used to roam round and round endlessly. I rather liked him, but he bit my brother.

I found a bonio on my front path this morning. What sort of self-respecting dog would abandon a bonio?

I found a bonio on my front path this morning. What sort of self-respecting dog would abandon a bonio?

Your postal worker might be carrying them to charm customers' dogs.
One of our posties brings scraps of meat for my cats which is kind of him!

Your postal worker might be carrying them to charm customers' dogs.
One of our posties brings scraps of meat for my cats which is kind of him!
On country walks I keep milk bones in my pocket just in case any dogs forget their training. The australian collie on the sheep farm next door got one once and the next time I came by he mugged me, leaned against me and wouldn't let me walk, until he got one. I was also once mugged by a jack russell. Clever dogs.

I was also once mugged by a jack russell. Clever dogs.

JRTs are the world's shrewdest mutts.

We had one which knew loads of words, probably more than I did. You couldn't say the usual trigger words ('walk', 'bacon' etc) without her taking a sudden close interest.

We tried mouthing the words instead but she soon learned that an issue needing her supervision was being discussed. Even placing a hand over one's mouth didn't put her off. She KNEW.

So learning which strangers are carrying milk bones and then mugging them is easy peasy! :chuckle:

JRTs are the world's shrewdest mutts.

We had one which knew loads of words, probably more than I did. You couldn't say the usual trigger words ('walk', 'bacon' etc) without her taking a sudden close interest.

We tried mouthing the words instead but she soon learned that an issue needing her supervision was being discussed. Even placing a hand over one's mouth didn't put her off. She KNEW.

So learning which strangers are carrying milk bones and then mugging them is easy peasy! :chuckle:
Really the funniest part of the jack russell incident was that her friend in the same house, and sleeping on the same porch, was a great dane, who watched the crime, rolled her eyes and went back to sleep.

Our dog Dolly knows quite a lot of words. Walk, wee wee, treat, beddy byes.

She also recognises certain sounds. If she is on the bed and hears the oven door opening she will leg it downstairs. She also recognises the sound of the keyboard tray for the desktop PC being pushed back in. She knows that you have finished and will move to the settee. If she wants attention she will get up and wait for you on hearing that sound.

Excellent deductive reasoning if you ask me.

If she is on the bed and hears the oven door opening she will leg it downstairs

One of my cats was obsessed with my large clattery chicken tin. She knew what was about to be cooked when I dragged it out and would sit beside the oven until I was ready to hand over the juicy skin and other scraps.

One of my cats was obsessed with my large clattery chicken tin. She knew what was about to be cooked when I dragged it out and would sit beside the oven until I was ready to hand over the juicy skin and other scraps.
what's a chicken tin? I think this may count as a minor strangeness.

We try and give cat treats, (cat heroin), Temptations to our elderly cats to bulk up their weight. The younger plump cats really don't need them.

God forbid though we accidentally rustle the packet with any of the youngsters who are within a 20-mile radius as they'll start running. Bullying the pensioners off.

Honestly, you need the skills of a safe-cracker to open the packet without the plumps noticing.

We try and give cat treats, (cat heroin), Temptations to our elderly cats to bulk up their weight. The younger plump cats really don't need them.

God forbid though we accidentally rustle the packet with any of the youngsters who are within a 20-mile radius as they'll start running. Bullying the pensioners off.

wQUOTE]
I frequently use an item that is packaged in that same material. I have to wait to open it until the cat is upstairs asleep. Whats in it that they like so much?

Speaking of cats, the abandoned bonio was maybe something the cat was about to drag in, but then had second thoughts about. Would a self-respecting cat show off a dog biscuit?
An alternative scenario would be that the dog, imitating a cat, would leave a "gift" for their person, who was supposed to "learn" how to "catch" more "gifts."

The talk of bonios reminds me that youngest offspring when he had learned to crawl started to steal the dog's bonios and suck them if we didn't keep a very close eye on him and before we took preventative measures. ( I dread to think what social services would have made of this). The dog, despite being huge , would simply cry, but do nothing, which was perhaps just as well.

The talk of bonios reminds me that youngest offspring when he had learned to crawl started to steal the dog's bonios and suck them if we didn't keep a very close eye on him and before we took preventative measures. ( I dread to think what social services would have made of this). The dog, despite being huge , would simply cry, but do nothing, which was perhaps just as well.

Awww, that was a Good Dog. :)
Bonios aren't bad for kids as I'm sure a certain expert (yes, really) poster could confirm ;) and I'm sure you kept everything hygienically, but I expect you were worried about the choking issue.

Also yup, Social Services! :chuckle:

Awww, that was a Good Dog. :)
Bonios aren't bad for kids as I'm sure a certain expert (yes, really) poster could confirm ;) and I'm sure you kept everything hygienically, but I expect you were worried about the choking issue.

Also yup, Social Services! :chuckle:
Dunno what SS would have made of my daughter, who used to creep into the hen house for a nap in the straw (which was filthy, and probably rats) or eat out of the cat's bowl.

She's a healthy, strapping 30 year old now. Kids are weird.

I had a Minor Strangeness last night. Very minor and probably a misperception so don't hold your breath.

I'd woken up at three a m for a wee, gone down and let the dog out. Went back to bed and I think I'd fallen asleep again, judging by where my audio book was when I woke again, putting the time somewhere around four a m, when the dog started barking downstairs. She very very VERY rarely barks at night, so it woke me up. She quietened down quite quickly, and I started to go back to sleep again but was finding it a bit difficult as one does when suddenly woken. Then I could hear a sound. It was like the quiet sound of people talking far away, but in the house. I turned off my audio book to have a proper listen and it just sounded like two voices having a conversation but in very very low tones.

The thing is, this house is so small that anyone talking anywhere in it, just sounds like people talking. And you can't hear ANYTHING from next door, walls two feet thick, I often have to look out to see if their car is there to tell if they are home. But it definitely sounded like a low rumble of conversation.

Bearing in mind all my recent dreams about burglars, and people in the house, I went downstairs again, where it was silent. Fetched the dog up to spend the rest of the night in bed with me (she's the only thing I've got worth stealing!)

I did wonder if it was the fridge motor,, but I've never heard that before from up here, and it definitely had changes in tone and pitch, like voices. But it was around four a m so not a likely time for there to be anyone around conversing. And there was nobody outside, besides my bedroom window is open and I'd hear them as voices, not a rumble.

A strangeness!

I happily chomped Winalot as a child. Who didn't? :dunno:

I happily chomped Winalot as a child. Who didn't? :dunno:

Min, in case you found my 'Dogbreath' epithet hurtful, please enjoy the following topical anecdote.

I am seated on my sofa with a fresh icepack pressed behind my right hip to soothe a pulled muscle.

When the phone rang just now I leaned forward to pick it up and the icepack slid down the back of my pants and I sat on it. o_O

So that'll teach me to be rude to you. ;)

Min, in case you found my 'Dogbreath' epithet hurtful, please enjoy the following topical anecdote.

I am seated on my sofa with a fresh icepack pressed behind my right hip to soothe a pulled muscle.

When the phone rang just now I leaned forward to pick it up and the icepack slid down the back of my pants and I sat on it. o_O

So that'll teach me to be rude to you. ;)
Don't mess with "dogbreath" Min - she has... Powers.

Back