• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Boko Haram Islamist Cult

A Chibok schoolgirl who escaped from Boko Haram militants in Nigeria has called on the international community not to forget those still in captivity.

Next month will mark the third anniversary of the abduction of more than 270 girls.

The militants are still holding about 195 of the young women.

The pupil, speaking under a pseudonym, told an education conference in Dubai: "These girls are human beings, not something that we can forget about."

The abduction of the schoolgirls in north-eastern Nigeria in April 2014 by the Islamist militant group caused a global outcry - and prompted campaigns about girls' right to education.

But almost three years later most of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls are still being held by kidnappers. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-39285042

And they're still at it.

ABUJA, March 19 (Xinhua) -- A suicide attack in Nigeria's northeastern state of Borno claimed four lives late Saturday, local police confirmed to Xinhua on Sunday.

A woman, her two children, and a night watchman were killed in the attack at Umarari village located five kilometers south of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, according to police spokesman Victor Isuku.
Eight local residents were injured in the night attack.

The police spokesman said three suicide bombers, one male and two females, detonated their explosive devices while confronting security forces in an attempt to gain access to Maiduguri through Umarari village.

The attackers were sighted by civilians assisting local security forces and challenged them, he said, adding they detonated the improvised explosive devices strapped to their bodies while running to different directions. ...

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-03/19/c_136140583.htm

Sadly the Nigerian Army's propaganda exceeds its military capabilities.

Nigeria army apologises for false story on Boko Haram rescue
Posted at9:29
Last week's statement from Nigeria's army which incorrectly reported that all the civilians targeted in an ambush by Boko Haram militants were rescued was "most regrettable", an army spokesman has said.

Initially, the army had said that nine soldiers died in the rescue attempt following the attack on a convoy last Tuesday in the north-east of the country.

Later, there were reports that at least 40 people had died and several others had been kidnapped.

Three of those taken appeared in a Boko Haram video that was uploaded at the weekend.

In his latest statement, head of army public relations, Brig-Gen Sani Kukasheka Usman, said that "the error in the statement was not deliberate". ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...escue&&ns_fee=0#post_597ee01ce4b0c2b9f126467f

One of the Chibok girls freed in May has been telling journalist Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani how a diary was kept of some of her three years in captivity with Boko Haram Islamist militants.

One of the oldest in her class, Naomi Adamu was 24 when she and more than 200 mainly Christian students were taken off into Boko Haram's Sambisa forest hideout in north-eastern Nigeria in 2014, sparking global outrage.

While in captivity, the girls were given exercise books for the Koranic classes they were made to attend.

But some of the girls used these to keep secret diaries. When the militants found out, they were forced to burn the books.

Ms Adamu managed to hide hers. She and her close friend, Sarah Samuel, now 20, and three other girls used the books to chronicle some of their experiences. The diary entries, written in passable English and poor Hausa, are undated and appear to be from their early months in captivity.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41570252

I am really glad that finally the word 'cult' is being used.
Cults have always existed and from the Thugs to Hassan i Sabah to Charles Manson they have killed people and oppressed people. It's what they do. The sad fact of the matter is that the 'Islamist Threat' is a massive lie perpetuated on the public for gain by various governments. And they did gain....across the board. Al Qaeda is just a cult. The Taleban are just a cult. Aum was just a cult. But Aum was never portrayed as part of a 'Buddhist Threat' because there was no gain. But it is the same thing. Exactly the same. Maybe we are starting to stop being lied to. Good news.

You SAY that, but remember that perfectly ordinary stock standard Islam will happily have someone murdered for apostacy (leaving Islam) , and the Koran is explicit about this being desirable. I subscribed to a forum where ex-Muslims discussed what they had been through, and over 4 years 2 were murdered for apostacy. One in Jordan, and one in Tunisia. If more people actually read the Koran in a Historical Critical fashion they would realize that it has always been an intensely vicious cult and is actually responsible for the worst atrocity in Human history (The Muslim invasion of India), yet somehow we are supposed to be giving this vicious cult a tolerance it has never shown anyone else. The Prophet Mohammed has more in common with David Koresh or Charles Manson than he does with Jesus or Buddha imo.

I would describe myself as a quiet, non-proselytising atheist. To me, all religions are daft; but some are fun daft, some nutty-but-interesting daft and others evil daft. (Other categories are available).

Examples:

Type 1: Wicca and Odinism.

Type 2: Rastafarianism.

Type 3: Islam and Scientology.

Islam is more than a religion: it's a political/military/religious belief system that allows no criticism, no dissent and no independent thought. I don't like that.

maximus otter

Rastafarians are mostly OK, even though their beliefs are wobbly. I like their hats, their music and their (generally) laid-back attitude.

BH strike again.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has called the suspected kidnapping of dozens of schoolgirls by Boko Haram militants a "national disaster".

Jihadists stormed the school in the town of Dapchi in the north east on Monday but it is unclear how many girls are missing.

Parents have told the BBC that at least 100 students have not been found.

The country's leader said surveillance aircraft and more troops were being sent to help with the search.

Anger has been growing among parents about the government's handling of the incident, which has revived memories of the Chibok schoolgirl abduction four years ago.

Dapchi, about 275km (170 miles) north-west of Chibok, came under attack on Monday, causing students and teachers to flee into the surrounding bush.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43177237

Good news and bad news.

The majority of the 110 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by militants in the town of Dapchi last month have been returned, the government says.

A presidential aide said 101 schoolgirls were dropped back in the town in the early hours of Wednesday.

The government said the army allowed the militants through, so "lives were not lost", but denied paying a ransom.

However, reports suggest at least five girls died during their kidnapping, and that a Christian girl remains captive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43484146

Not just in Nigeria, in Burkina Faso the Islamists also target women in particular. Given the President's name I reckon he'd better watch out as well.

Suspected Islamist militants have killed 35 civilians, 31 of them women, in an attack on a military base and a town in Burkina Faso, officials say.

They say seven soldiers and 80 militants were also killed as the army repelled Tuesday's attack in Arbinda, in northern Soum province.

President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré declared two days of national mourning.

Jihadist groups have stepped up attacks in Burkina Faso and other West African countries, in recent years. The violence has continued despite Western efforts to help regional governments combat the insurgents. In November, 13 French troops died in a helicopter collision during an operation in southern Mali, near the border with Burkina Faso.

Earlier this month, at least 14 people were killed after gunmen opened fire inside a church in the east of the country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50908880

Now attacks in Chad/Cameroon. No apparent reason for the killings.

Suspected Boko Haram militants have killed at least 50 people on an island on Lake Chad, bordering Cameroon and Chad, a local official told the BBC.

The militants, disguised as traders, attacked fishermen, local mayor Ali Ramat said, quoting a survivor. The attack happened on 22 December, but news from the remote area is only just beginning to come out. Boko Haram, formed in Nigeria in 2009, has since spread its activities to neighbouring Chad, Cameroon and Niger. Mr Ramat, the mayor of Darak in Cameroon's Far North Region, told the BBC that among those killed were at least 20 Cameroonians. An unknown number of people are still unaccounted for, he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50987123

There's quite a big overlap between Odinists and neo-nazis, who aren't all that fun usually.
Yeah, that is unfortunate. I think Asatru is as valid as any other religion, but the hijacking of it by neo-nazis is unfair. On the other hand, the Norse gods were nothing if not a violence promoting bunch. Perhaps the neo-nazis have a point?

Yeah, that is unfortunate. I think Asatru is as valid as any other religion, but the hijacking of it by neo-nazis is unfair. On the other hand, the Norse gods were nothing if not a violence promoting bunch. Perhaps the neo-nazis have a point?

No! I am reclaiming Valhalla! Colonel Paddy, Orde Wingate and Mad Jack Churchill reside in Valhalla!

BH responsible for another mass kidnapping.

Nigeria’s Boko Haram jihadist rebels have claimed responsibility for the abduction of hundreds of pupils in an attack on a boys’ school in northern Katsina state, according to a Nigerian online newspaper.

More than 330 children are missing from the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara after gunmen with assault rifles attacked their school on Friday night. The Daily Nigerian said it received an audio message from Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau saying his group abducted the schoolboys because Western education is against the tenets of Islam.

“What happened in Katsina was done to promote Islam and discourage un-Islamic practices as Western education is not the type of education permitted by Allah and his Holy Prophet,” the paper quoted Mr Shekau as saying.

There has been no independent verification of the audio message but Mr Shekau has in the past released video and audio messages on Boko Haram’s behalf.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40191024.html

Islam is more than a religion: it's a political/military/religious belief system that allows no criticism, no dissent and no independent thought. I don't like that.

But a distinction must be made between those who fight jihad in a violent way, or using theft, or rape, with an end game of a world Khalifate...and those Muslims who just get on with their faith as a personal means of discipline, focus on family, and do not obstruct people practicing other faiths.

BH strike again.

Several people are dead in northeast Nigeria after Boko Haram militants raided a mostly Christian village and burnt down a church on Christmas Eve.

Local sources said at least 11 people had been killed, according to AFP news. Fighters rode into Pemi, in Borno state, on trucks and motorbikes shooting indiscriminately, a local leader told the news agency. Pemi is close to Chibok where 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped in 2014.

Boko Haram have carried out a number of attacks in northern Nigeria where they are fighting to overthrow the government and create an Islamic state. They promote a version of Islam that forbids Muslims from taking part in activity not derived from Islamic tradition. Boko Haram loosely translates to mean "western education is forbidden". The group's most infamous attack targeted schoolgirls in Chibok in 2014 and held many captive for years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-55448105

You SAY that, but remember that perfectly ordinary stock standard Islam will happily have someone murdered for apostacy (leaving Islam) , and the Koran is explicit about this being desirable. I subscribed to a forum where ex-Muslims discussed what they had been through, and over 4 years 2 were murdered for apostacy. One in Jordan, and one in Tunisia. If more people actually read the Koran in a Historical Critical fashion they would realize that it has always been an intensely vicious cult and is actually responsible for the worst atrocity in Human history (The Muslim invasion of India), yet somehow we are supposed to be giving this vicious cult a tolerance it has never shown anyone else. The Prophet Mohammed has more in common with David Koresh or Charles Manson than he does with Jesus or Buddha imo.
Could you please quote the Koran regarding murder for apostasy being "desirable"? I just searched one very good translation and couldn't find anything so explicit, although turning your back on God is obviously described as something really wicked. There is certainly no formal command that Moslems should murder anyone who leaves Islam, especially if they joined Christianity and continued to believe in God.

To say that Mohammed is like Koresh or Manson seems very unfair. The Traditions paint a picture of a very caring and kindly person. After he died Islam effectively died as well and you could say much the same about Christianity. Both, as social movements, descended into tribalism and hatred for others.

Could you please quote the Koran regarding murder for apostasy being "desirable"? I just searched one very good translation and couldn't find anything so explicit, although turning your back on God is obviously described as something really wicked. There is certainly no formal command that Moslems should murder anyone who leaves Islam, especially if they joined Christianity and continued to believe in God.

To say that Mohammed is like Koresh or Manson seems very unfair. The Traditions paint a picture of a very caring and kindly person. After he died Islam effectively died as well and you could say much the same about Christianity. Both, as social movements, descended into tribalism and hatred for others.
AlchoPwn is no longer a member here.

“In modern times the majority of modern Islamic jurists continue to regard apostasy not only as a sin but as a crime deserving the death penalty...”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam#Support_for_execution

“The countries surveyed that expressly make apostasy a capital offense are Afghanistan, Brunei, Mauritania, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.”

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/apostasy/apostasy.pdf

maximus otter

“In modern times the majority of modern Islamic jurists continue to regard apostasy not only as a sin but as a crime deserving the death penalty...”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam#Support_for_execution

“The countries surveyed that expressly make apostasy a capital offense are Afghanistan, Brunei, Mauritania, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.”

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/apostasy/apostasy.pdf

maximus otter
Quite right, but the point is that sharia, the use of civil law to regulate religious behaviour, is in blatant violation of the Koran, which states unequivocally that religion is not a matter for coercion. If threatening people with death or other horrible punishments is not coercion, indeed compulsion, what is it?
[2:256 THERE SHALL BE no coercion in matters of faith.]

The so-called Christians went down the same path, unfortunately. Once religious and civil matters are intermixed and confused, it seems inevitable that the genuine impulse behind faith and spirituality gets lost.

Quite right, but the point is that sharia, the use of civil law to regulate religious behaviour, is in blatant violation of the Koran, which states unequivocally that religion is not a matter for coercion. If threatening people with death or other horrible punishments is not coercion, indeed compulsion, what is it?
[2:256 THERE SHALL BE no coercion in matters of faith.]

The so-called Christians went down the same path, unfortunately. Once religious and civil matters are intermixed and confused, it seems inevitable that the genuine impulse behind faith and spirituality gets lost.

“Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn 'Abbas, who said, "Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, 'Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's Punishment.' No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' "

https://www.quranexplorer.com/hadithebook/english/Hadith/bukhari/004.052.260.html

“They wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike. So do not take from among them allies until they emigrate for the cause of Allah . But if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them and take not from among them any ally or helper.”

https://legacy.quran.com/4/89

maximus otter

Try looking up the concept of "jizya".

“Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn 'Abbas, who said, "Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, 'Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's Punishment.' No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' "

https://www.quranexplorer.com/hadithebook/english/Hadith/bukhari/004.052.260.html

“They wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike. So do not take from among them allies until they emigrate for the cause of Allah . But if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them and take not from among them any ally or helper.”

https://legacy.quran.com/4/89

maximus otter
I think a better translation is this one:

Do not, therefore, take them for your allies until they forsake the domain of evil for the
sake of God; and if they revert to [open] enmity, seize them and slay them wherever you may
find them.

Which makes it clear that the Moslems are allowed to kill in self defence, i.e. in response to open aggression. As for ibn Abbas's comment, it certainly doesn't gel with any other traditions about Mohammed, nor with the specific Koranic teaching on the matter.

But of course these are the kinds of somewhat ambiguous texts that the terrorists and their critics both point to to bolster their arguments. As someone who has never felt any urge to join any religion it is sad to see. Christians have even less defence to support their own violence and aggression, certainly nothing coming from from any of Jesus's teachings. At least Islam accepted the need for self defence against open aggression and tried to regulate it in some way. Christianity (so-called) reverted to violence and murder in short order. I recall the early Christian Bishop who was even accused of murder! His response was along the lines, "All right, I admit it, I killed him. I'll kill anyone who gets in my way, and I'll kill you, too, if I want to."

New book, based on the secret diary of one of the abducted girls, reveals how they risked beatings and death to defy their captors.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-how-abducted-women-survived-boko-haram-camp

Had the Nigerian government not refused the offer of a British special forces mission to rescue the girls, this dreadful story would probably have ended sooner. Instead, Nigeria initially sent their own forces in a bodged attempt to rescue the girls, killing 10 of them, and then struck a deal with Boko Haram to free some of the girls, in exchange for releasing a number of convicted terrorists from jail.

Last edited:
Not just in Nigeria, in Burkina Faso the Islamists also target women in particular. Given the President's name I reckon he'd better watch out as well.

Suspected Islamist militants have killed 35 civilians, 31 of them women, in an attack on a military base and a town in Burkina Faso, officials say.

They say seven soldiers and 80 militants were also killed as the army repelled Tuesday's attack in Arbinda, in northern Soum province.

President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré declared two days of national mourning.

Jihadist groups have stepped up attacks in Burkina Faso and other West African countries, in recent years. The violence has continued despite Western efforts to help regional governments combat the insurgents. In November, 13 French troops died in a helicopter collision during an operation in southern Mali, near the border with Burkina Faso.

Earlier this month, at least 14 people were killed after gunmen opened fire inside a church in the east of the country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50908880
Quite the manly group 31 dead ladies to 5 guys. This lot is really dragging the bottom of the barrel.

Quite the manly group 31 dead ladies to 5 guys. This lot is really dragging the bottom of the barrel.
Can anyone explain why terrorists and mass murderers are described as "militants"? Making them sound like disgruntled union officials! Is it to suggest that they are really nice people who are just a bit irritated over something?

Back