• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Just found a newt on my patio

20210223_111805.jpg

I take it you're not in the UK?
I think you'd be more likely to find 'a rat in me kitchen' here.
But 'newt on my patio' would probably be a better song.

Wasnt sure whete to post this, its definately weird, feel free to more it somewhere more appropriate if you know somewhere.

Husband found dolls in grave after wife lied she’d given birth to twins who died

A woman who told her husband she was pregnant with twins who then died has been exposed as a liar after the case almost sparked a national scandal in Russia.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/11/husb...regnancy-and-dead-twins-14061962/?ito=cbshare

While searching for something* I came across the Spanish ship button! :cool:
This is what fell on my shoulder when Escette and I visited the ship in Barcelona.

When I find my metal polish I'll buff it up. It looks brass on the photos but might be copper, I dunno.

button front.jpgbutton back.jpg

*I was looking for a pack of replacement zip pulls that I'd bought to replace the last lot. For some reason I've put both away safely and instantly forgotten where. :rolleyes:

While searching for something* I came across the Spanish ship button! :cool:
This is what fell on my shoulder when Escette and I visited the ship in Barcelona.

When I find my metal polish I'll buff it up. It looks brass on the photos but might be copper, I dunno.

View attachment 35776View attachment 35777

*I was looking for a pack of replacement zip pulls that I'd bought to replace the last lot. For some reason I've put both away safely and instantly forgotten where. :rolleyes:
Look brass to me, a lot of military buttons were brass, unlikely to be copper, too soft :p

Ordinary-looking house for sale has people losing minds over creepy mannequins inside

A house has gone on sale for around £475,000 that looks pretty unassuming from outside, but once through the doors some potential buyers might be put off by what's inside

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/ordinary-looking-house-sale-people-23545821

For certain complicated reasons there is a naked full-sized adult male mannequin in one of my back bedroom windows. It was there a couple of years before I thought of closing the blind on it.

Look brass to me, a lot of military buttons were brass, unlikely to be copper, too soft :p

It does look brass on t'photo but it's actually coppery-looking.
Wonder where the Brasso is?

Edit - can't find my Brasso but tried foaming silver polish and it's come up a bit. Yup, it's brass.

Last edited:
It would be brass - it's one of the cheapest alloys that could used, cheaper than bronze and much cheaper than pure copper.

It does look brass on t'photo but it's actually coppery-looking.
Wonder where the Brasso is?

Edit - can't find my Brasso but tried foaming silver polish and it's come up a bit. Yup, it's brass.
Toothpaste might work.

Buttergate: Why are Canadians complaining about hard butter?

Something is amiss with Canadian butter, according to local foodies, who have been arguing for weeks that their blocks are harder to spread than usual.

These so-called "buttergate" anecdotes have been spreading online, with many Canadians complaining that their butter does not soften at room temperature.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56175784

Daft Punk announce split after 28 years

The video announcing their split was based on an excerpt from their 2006 film Electroma.

As one of the robot bodies disintegrated, a caption appeared stating "1993 - 2021". The clip closed with one of the musicians walking into the sunset, accompanied by the song Touch, including the choral refrain: " Hold on. If love is the answer you're home ."

I found the video quite moving, reminiscent of Roy Battys (Rutger Hauer) death in Blade Runner

For certain complicated reasons there is a naked full-sized adult male mannequin in one of my back bedroom windows. It was there a couple of years before I thought of closing the blind on it.
Come on admit it it's an ex you've had stuffed.

Just to clarify, the video is in no way reminescent of the blade runner scene, the feeling it stirred in me are reminescent of those i felt whist watching the death of Roy Batty.

Buttergate: Why are Canadians complaining about hard butter?

Something is amiss with Canadian butter, according to local foodies, who have been arguing for weeks that their blocks are harder to spread than usual.

These so-called "buttergate" anecdotes have been spreading online, with many Canadians complaining that their butter does not soften at room temperature.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56175784
That's just made me think. MY butter, here in England, hasn't softened at room temperature either! I put it down to my kitchen being quite cool and the weather having been chilly, but even now the temperature has risen the butter is still rock solid. I've taken to leaving it out of my insulated butter dish because I thought that might be having an effect, but no, it's still hard.

Is it time for me to revisit my whinge about butter no longer coming in greaseproof wrappers but tinfoil, to stop us putting the whole thing in the microwave?

I have the same issue with butter now, too, and I live in the US. I thought it was because I keep my house fairly cool, but that didn’t explain why it also takes almost twice as long even to soften butter in the microwave as it used to. (I cut it into as many oats as I think I’ll need before putting it in the microwave.) It does still melt normally when I cook on the stovetop.

Butter looks and tastes the same as it always did, whether I use salted or unsalted.

Even smaller animals do considerable damage to a vehicle travelling at speed.
Company I worked for in the mid-eighties had a fleet of Vauxhall Astra vans - my colleague was driving down the A3 to Portsmouth on a regular run, one Saturday/Sunday at 2am (and TBH he was most likely hurtling along at a fair lick, you could wind those vans up to over 110mph if you were feeling particularly brave/foolhardy), when suddenly a fox came running across the dual-carriageway.
Well, in the collision that followed, the fox was obviously quite severely mangled, but the front of the van was demolished.
The whole of the area between the headlights was mainly of plastic construction and had managed to collapse/explode itself through the radiator and surrounding hoses etc.
The van had to be 'recovered' back to St Albans and when we saw it in the daylight the following day it was a right blood-covered mess of a mixture of bits of fox and plastic.
We got something called fauna passages on highways in Norway. It saves some lives on the highways. County roads doesn't have that many passages.

Bridge:
1614165337834.png

Or tunnel:
1614165461903.png

Back