• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I think what looks like an ear on the small animal may be a piece of vegetation. I think there are still thylacines on Tasmania and quite possibly New Guinea but this ain't a pic of one.

Nick Walters' 'thylacine' shots. Small animal looks ambiguous to me the big one is a pademelon. I've seen enough of them to recgongnize it. Nothing here suggests a Tasmanian wolf.
This is just sad. Nothing here reasonably suggests a thylacine.

The YouTube vid is monetized. I can't help but be really cynical about this. It's just not right.

Nick Walters' 'thylacine' shots. Small animal looks ambiguous to me the big one is a pademelon. I've seen enough of them to recgongnize it. Nothing here suggests a Tasmanian wolf.

Who positioned those trail cams, Stevie Wonder? For goodness’ sake, ensure that they have a clear field of view!

maximus otter

To be honest the images are embarrassing dear Lord, he has more front than Sainsury's that Mr Water's.

Last edited:
Hmmm

All the experts being asked leading questions rather than seeking their actual opinion of what they might be, the monetising of the site, the dreadful camera angles.... not good is it?

Hmmm

All the experts being asked leading questions rather than seeking their actual opinion of what they might be, the monetising of the site, the dreadful camera angles.... not good is it?
Yet it gained an obscene amount of attention. That's the way of things these days. Quality and credibility hardly counts. It's all about the hype.

In the midst of all of this a very important historical image has come to light. On one group two threads on Water's bury camera-trap pics received 151 and 90 comments, a thread on the genuine photograph received four.

Not many people like thylacines, but an awful lot like mysteries, that's why this has gained attention, it's got nothing to do with that poor extinct marsupial.

This is just sad. Nothing here reasonably suggests a thylacine.

The YouTube vid is monetized. I can't help but be really cynical about this. It's just not right.
Me neither, who thing is as fishy as Billinsgate Market.

RIP Bill Morgan, lovely bloke and Tasmanian wolf witness. I interviewed him with Mike Williams in 2016. He as one of a car full of people who saw a Tasmanian wolf in the 70s early one morning whilst driving to work at the Hydro Electric Commission. The animal was seen on the Echo Lake road and in view for about six minutes. 98 bloody good innings.

Database of Tasmanian wolf sightings.

https://recentlyextinctspecies.com/thylacine-archive/tasmanian-thylacine-reports?fbclid=IwAR26teekgQ6WKrl-8cS_SQ-wTjvcOcFOST9orJwVdvWjDq2WOu1tBrMFfP4

Databases of sightings

Smith (1981) and Rounsevell & Smith (1982) both dealt with sightings in Tasmania to 1978. The latter analysed 104 sightings during the period 1970-1979, and stated that 84 sightings had been reported during the period 1960-1969.

The T.R.U. (Thylacine Research Unit) provides details of reports made directly to them

A whole batch of reports have been officially released by the Tasmanian government

Chris Tangey talked to around 150 witnesses during his 1970's search

A new RTI/FOI (2016-2019) request from Mike Williams was granted. 8 reports are included.

Lost Tasmanian Tiger footage found:

2 New Sequences of the Tasmanian Tiger discovered January 2022​

Dr Randle Stewart was a Melbourne Psychiatrist who was in Tasmania between 26th March and the 17th April, 1931 on his honeymoon. This is the last Tasmanian tiger captured by Roy Delphin. The footage was discovered online by Andrew Vamvatsikos, a member of the Tasmanian Tiger Archives group several days ago and originally stored by the Tasmanian Film Corporation who passed it to the Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office. Both films were made at Beaumaris Zoo,Queen's Domain. Details of this film have been known for years. We even had two stills but not the film itself. The film disappeared between 1978 and 1983. This film of the young thylacine has been a legend among thylacine researchers for decades.

It's difficult to convey just how many bushes have been beaten in the search for this sequence. If it wasn't for the two stills mentioned above I'd have dismissed it as another Thunderbird photo. How this copy came to be in the owner's possession is a complete mystery, but I don't suppose that matters anymore now.

Two points: This is only the second piece of moving footage ever recovered of a sub-adult thylacine. The other also viewable at Mike Williams YouTube channel at the link above, was found in early 2020. It shows the same individual four months earlier. This is the last known thylacine, which was captured by Dan and Roy Delphin. It's not the last thylacine captured by Roy Delphin. He and his twin brother Gordon went on to capture a female the following month, but she died soon afterwards and was made into a waistcoat. It's so incredibly unlikely that the same man would be involved in the capture of two specimens as late as 1930 that that's a mystery in itself.

I watched something on the web the other day about the Tasmanian Tiger
I was surprised to hear had a backwards-facing abdominal pouch in which it raised litters of up to four young at a time,
then I suppose if it had shorter front legs and walked on all four's it would make sense.

I watched something on the web the other day about the Tasmanian Tiger
I was surprised to hear had a backwards-facing abdominal pouch in which it raised litters of up to four young at a time,
then I suppose if it had shorter front legs and walked on all four's it would make sense.
Most Aussie quadrupeds have a reversed pouch...I suppose to prevent the gape catching on low level stumps...and yet the macropod has a superior opening pouch. Just imagine the poor little Joey hanging on for dear life if the 'Roo had a posterior presented pouch.

It's enough to make an unbeliever believe in a god...

Food for thought:

“Tasmania covers 64,000km² and is a very diverse landscape,” he says. “That’s about double the size of Belgium and three times the size of Wales. Yellowstone National Park is only 9,000km². To add to the challenge, about 40% of Tasmania is protected reserves.” The protected area of Tasmania, therefore, is equivalent to three Yellowstones, which is ample room to keep the mystery of the thylacine alive and kicking for a few decades yet.

And:

A well-known bushwalker who regularly visits the remote south-west, described a sighting during a drive back from Queenstown (near the west coast). It seems unlikely he’s lying, Brook says, because he could have fabricated a far more compelling account if he’d wanted to.

“He thought he saw one from his truck, in a plausible place, while driving through wilderness from one town to another,” says Brook. “What do you make of that sort of sighting? These are the problem cases. But I remain open-minded.”

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/an...z6bhBlw_8XfjL9j4Ixp9MRlY2ac8kjNBm-XqBUoTbDarA

Food for thought:

“Tasmania covers 64,000km² and is a very diverse landscape,” he says. “That’s about double the size of Belgium and three times the size of Wales. Yellowstone National Park is only 9,000km². To add to the challenge, about 40% of Tasmania is protected reserves.” The protected area of Tasmania, therefore, is equivalent to three Yellowstones, which is ample room to keep the mystery of the thylacine alive and kicking for a few decades yet.

And:

A well-known bushwalker who regularly visits the remote south-west, described a sighting during a drive back from Queenstown (near the west coast). It seems unlikely he’s lying, Brook says, because he could have fabricated a far more compelling account if he’d wanted to.

“He thought he saw one from his truck, in a plausible place, while driving through wilderness from one town to another,” says Brook. “What do you make of that sort of sighting? These are the problem cases. But I remain open-minded.”

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/an...z6bhBlw_8XfjL9j4Ixp9MRlY2ac8kjNBm-XqBUoTbDarA
The Zanzibar leopard was recently re-discovered. Zanzibar is much smaller than Tasmania with a much larger human population.

Back