• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tea Towels

How are raisins made? Just sayin'.

They're the seeds of the Garibaldi Tree. If you buy a packet of Garibaldi fruit and crack one open you'll find them. Of course, the commercial variety we have in the UK provides currents as they ship better than the wild raisin-bearing ones. You can find similar seeds in the fruit of the Eccles vine.

Can any real man claim never to have used a tea towel to whip his wife's/significant other's posterior in puckish fashion once drying duties were completed?
Can honestly state that no partner of mine has ever done this to me.
I have NO idea why. ;)

However, I whip away with abandon. That's what men're for.

I’m retired, not redundant.

;)

maximus otter
I'll be the judge of that...

Can any real man claim never to have used a tea towel to whip his wife's/significant other's posterior in puckish fashion once drying duties were completed?
Real man here, never done that!
bodybuilder-washing-dishes-man-standing-kitchen-wearing-apron-washes-52219656.jpg

Can honestly state that no partner of mine has ever done this to me.
I have NO idea why.
;)

However, I whip away with abandon. That's what men're for.
2ca089b10493c9b7f2ea0e0bd6084e2b.jpg

Is there really any difference between a tea towel and a glass cloth, other than one having the words 'glass cloth' woven into the fabric?

Is there really any difference between a tea towel and a glass cloth, other than one having the words 'glass cloth' woven into the fabric?
It might have something to do with the abrasive quality of the weave.

Possibly, but I use them interchangeably and haven't noticed a difference.
I may just be unobservant though.

Thats a GREAT question.....

If only there was somewhere on the web where one could ask questions like that...

Oh look! I tried a new thing - www.google.com. Give it a go.

About 233,000,000 results (0.86 seconds)

View attachment 36042
A tea towel is a soft cloth made of linen, cotton or a combination of the two, and usually has an imprinted or woven design for decoration. ... Today, tea towels are found in kitchens and homes across the globe. They're used for a variety of purposes, from keeping leafy greens crisp to covering warm baked goods.
Ha! I did google it but didn't want to wade through all the varying responses, so thought I would ask the aboriginal inhabitants of UK instead and get the tea towel info directly. I am still intrigued with adding tea as a 4th meal of the day option. One can never have too many meals.

Wow! that is a really fancy tea towel. Do you actually use it in the kitchen? My kitchen towels are all stained (or are in pre-stain state as staining is inevitable) with a variety of colors and sometimes textures. Also have a few with burnt off spots. When they get too disgusting, I use them for my oil painting hobby. I try really hard to not have fancy stuff in my house with a "purported function," because I don't want to ruin fancy stuff nor have my home be a museum to fancy stuff. So, I guess I have an unfancy, ur-proletariat home (but I do have some persian rugs). :)

...ok, more ruminations on un-fancy stuff for the home (now drifting off-topic): a few years ago, my husband and I decided to downsize so we went through our possessions ruthlessly. I gave away all my ceramic serving and eating dishes, and replaced them with cheapo white melamine. It was 75% less space used in the cupboard. Plus, my neighbors who come over feel so much better about their own expensive crockery after seeing my melamine. Its a public service really.....

I try really hard to not have fancy stuff in my house with a "purported function," because I don't want to ruin fancy stuff nor have my home be a museum to fancy stuff.

Same'ere. Techy used to want to buy me posh jewellery but I said I'd never wear it, it'll get covered in paint or glue or broken...

These days I get power tools. :chuckle:

I once got a really good sander as a wedding anniversary present. It was the best! Jewelry is nice but power tools are much more fun to play with. I once lost a small diamond out of a ring because I use my hands, and I will never forget that expensive lesson.

I can't even do a passable German accent for English jokes, let alone attempt actual German.

I'm beginning to suspect that I can manage only a single accent that is not my own, and that one is called generic foreign.

It isn't really authentic anywhere.

l don’t speak a word of German; l picked up the “Berliner” line from a colleague who had served in Germany. Here’s a link to the (apparently fake) version he told me. Seemingly, it’s all down to Len Deighton.

l share your issue with accents. l try and “do” South American or Eastern European, say, and it ends up going off in all directions and ending up sounding vaguely Pakistani. A bit like luvvies who do that generic “UK Rustic” accent for everyone outside the M25; the one amusingly referred to as “Mummerset”.

maximus otter

Tea towels are very versatile.

I use one for drying my hair when I wash my hair but not myself. It dries more quickly than a bath towel. Also, I don't have to wash the bath towel as often.

A friend who was interested in crafts painted tea-towels with gesso and then painted pictures on them. This produced surprisingly effective and attractive results.

I once used a tea towel as an improvised arm sling on my mum, as suggested on a St John's Ambulance 1st Aid course. She was not impressed, way way too small - but it had a nice pattern and that's the main thing.

..to which I originally replied in a frankly over the top manner. It didn't justify it, really.

Last edited:
Back