• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Killing Joke seem to be getting a bit of attention from 'ordinary' people at the moment.

The songs "I Am The Virus" and "The Great Cull" have been shared in relation to Covid 19.

Quote from The Great Cull:
"
Develop virus market cure - exploit the panic
Contaminate by guile and stealth - a quick strum of the harp
Depopulate initiate - pharmaceutical companies
All fall down, all fall down, Codex Alimentarius "

and from I Am The Virus:

"
Death misery and tears
Calculated waves of fear
Drawn up by think tanks
There's a darkness in the west
Oil swilling guzzling corporate
Central banking mind fucking omnipotence ."

Mind I've been reading that Q Anon is spreading here in the U.K. now.

This scene from Annihilation (2018) has easily the most perfect syncopation of creeped out music and visual oddness. The music is like a new kind of language. I found it totally compelling at first viewing and very unsettling. Terrific film all round.

The audio artist is Moderat. The track is called The Mark - Interlude.

Samples a crazy person experiencing a sexual encounter with a spiritual entity. Oozes erotic and promotes nausea. Fair warning.
Forteanishly, I've had this on my playlist for ten years and rolled it a hundred times, yet I've never heard this track. hm
Artist: Maenad

If I might suggest the following...

Background story can be found here, under, 'From Outer Space to You by Howard Menger':

https://www.tor.com/2016/09/16/five-stories-with-unexplained-fortean-phenomena/

You can listen to the composition here:

It so happens I have long desired a decent set of wireless headphones and resultant of online recommendations, purchased the 'Philips BASS+ Super-aural', which arrived yesterday.

They have now been fully charged and
if I can figure out how to connect same, will be making their debut in a moment, with 'music from outer space'. :D

... andi f I can figure out how to connect same, will be making their debut in a moment, with 'music from outer space'...
First time in my life, I have ever been able to get Bluetooth working!

Right then... two minutes of our intergalactic offering was quite enough, thank you.

What would Charles Fort play...

I know!

And I was there, that night as well!

{10 minutes later...}

Oh Holy F.... experiencing a Life Changing Event. These headphones are never coming off. :badge:

First time in my life, I have ever been able to get Bluetooth working!

Right then... two minutes of our intergalactic offering was quite enough, thank you.

What would Charles Fort play...

I know!

And I was there, that night as well!

{10 minutes later...}

Oh Holy F.... experiencing a Life Changing Event. These headphones are never coming off. :badge:
Awesoooome.

'Perception Report 2' is dedicated to Jean Hingley's high-strangeness encounter with three small winged beings at her home in Rowley Regis (West Midlands, UK) in January 1979, affectionately referred to in ufological circles as the 'Mince Pie Martians' case.

"At first I was terrified," Jean said at her home in Bluestone Walk, Rowley Regis, Staffs. "But I thought if I offered them food they would go away. They folded their wings to get into my lounge and I asked if they would like some mince pies and whisky. They took the mince pies but turned down the whisky and asked for water." Jean said the creatures fled out of the door in terror when she lit a cigarette. They disappeared in a bright orange spacecraft "which faded like a dimming fire." (The Sun, January 6th 1979)

For more details on this case see Flying Saucer Review Vol. 25, No. 6.

On Bandcamp, 2 UK quids to own it yourself.

These guys definitely have Fortean themes and (forgive me) hauntalogical sounds. Highly recommended for Ghostbox fans. 15 squid for their entire Bandcamp discography!

The Heartwood Institute

Their new album (vinyl only I think) is called "Witchcraft Murders", and is inspired by "Bella in the Wych Elm" and Charles Waltons pitchfork murder. Trying to find me self a copy now.

I always found this to be a weird spooky tune.
Then I read up on the meaning.
Imagine: I spontaneously interpreted this as "slave ships", while the artists meant "space ships" :oops:
That's a whole world of difference! But still a haunting tune. You can skip the intro and go to 2:10.

Tarwater - Inside the Ships - YouTube

Last edited:
I've put together this mix of leftfield and experimental music, mainly taken from some of the more Fortean/Folklore/Hauntology based music labels (Castles In Space, Folklore Tapes, Danse Noire etc).

All done live on two turntables and a LW radio - the masts in the pic are just visible from my 'studio'.

Unidentified signals from up on the Downs

The Rise Transmission 1.jpg

This arrived today - Everyday Dust's latest, inspired by a search for the Loch Ness Monster.

R-18132937-1617447232-3592.jpeg.jpg

R-18132937-1617448007-7091.jpeg.jpg

It's experimental, modular synth music on 10 inch 'sonar sweep splatter vinyl' and includes these tracks.

The Black Loch
Sonar Sweep
Strange Readings
800ft Down 28ft Visibility
Subterranean Caves
The Glowing Shape
Something In The Murk
Lost Dive
The Underwater Cathedral
The Chase

Any mention yet of the prog/psychedelic concept album based on the book of revelations - '666' by Aphrodites Child, in particular the track 'The Four Horsemen'?

That is a song I feel could go toe to toe with contemporary stuff from Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Led Zeppelin.

Bizarrely being used on a car advert just now, proving ad men really don't listen to the whole song. It's a bit like the jeans company a few years back using Creedence Clearwater Revival's 'Fortunate Son' for a rousing flag waving ad, not really realising the ironic intent of the music.

Back