• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have come across this response from the MoD, with regard to a question I posed some years ago.

Oh good grief... 1997!!!!

In relation to our reports re, 'beams of light' being directed downwards and possibly near the base Weapons Storage Area (WSA), one enquired... was there not a perceived threat to national security?

I would appear to have asked same of both the Secretary of Defence and Minister for the Armed Forces. :)

www.forteanmedia.com/MOD_001.jpg

Didn't Halt or someone say they felt that Penniston and another one of them had been "gotten to" or something like that, when they showed up --implying that they were told by superiors to misinform?
There is no evidence of anything like this from Halt directly.

As you note though, no wonder it all might have become ever so slightly confusing over the years. :)

Penniston refers to multiple use of sodium pentathol and maybe other drugs by AFOSI. To get at hidden memories or to create a false memory trail?
The following would seem to be pertinent here.

From my archives and again, ye olde formatting does not travel well!

Into the Night
by AJS Rayl

(...)

- Hypnosis -
In 1994, after much contemplation, Penniston says, he agreed to
undergo two hypnosis sessions at the urging of several colleagues
with whom he was working to uncover any information on the
identity of the craft at Bentwaters, the plan being to co-author
a book. "The idea was that there might be more valuable
information, specifically times, dates, and other names that
perhaps we could retrieve," says Penniston. "I knew that
information gleaned from hypnosis wasn't always perfect and that
if it wasn't done right, the information could be contaminated.
So I was reluctant about the whole thing."

His colleagues came up with a list of questions for the
psychologist that they felt were not leading or suggestive, and
they agreed to let him be hypnotized by a family psychologist who
had helped his teenage daughter.

The first of two hypnotic regressions -- both of which were
videotaped -- took place in September 1994. In that session,
Penniston recounted the same events that he remembered
consciously. Nothing new surfaced. The session did, however, turn
up a jump in time: Penniston described being near the craft,
examining it, and then suddenly standing 30 feet away next to
Airman First Class John Burroughs, one of the men dispatched to
investigate the scene with him. That sequence of events left
about 45 minutes unaccounted for. He and his colleagues decided
to try another hypnosis session two months later to explore that
seeming discrepancy. (That second session is covered in the next
section.)

Travellers from the Future

During the second hypnotic regression, the psychologist takes
Penniston back to the debriefing by two Office of Special
Investigation (OSI) agents, and he recounts the scene and events
just as he recalled them consciously. But then, according to
Penniston's memory under hypnosis, those two agents leave the
room and two other officials, one American and one with a British
accent, come into the room and ask Penniston to again recount the
story. They ask him, he says, if he would mind being given a shot
of something and then telling his story again while they tape-
record it. Penniston agrees, "if that's what it takes." But he
also tells his interrogators that he doesn't like shots.

In a dramatic and striking scene on the videotape, Penniston
lifts his arm for a shot of sodium pentathol and the agents
question him repeatedly about the trajectory of the craft, its
speed and approach. Penniston calmly repeats over and over that
he did not see any of that, that the craft was already on the
ground when he saw it.

The interrogation continues, and Penniston answers the officials'
questions about the craft itself and the symbols he found on one
side. He recalls the two agents talking to themselves, saying
there was "no point in going further," that they knew what had
happened and now the question was how to contain the situation.
"They know about what I've seen. They knew it already," Penniston
says under hypnosis.

As the regression continues, the psychologist begins questioning
Penniston about possible "beings" in the craft and he begins to
answer. On the tape, it seems that Penniston knows the answer to
just about every question the psychologist asks. "I look at this
and find it hard to believe it's me," said Penniston during one
viewing of the tape.

Under hypnosis, Penniston describes the alien visitors, saying
that they are "travellers from our future." They have been coming
here in teams, each team assigned a different "tasking," a
different mission. Each team targets certain people when it comes
back to our time, rather than just encountering people randomly.

When the psychologist asks him why, Penniston -- still under
hypnosis -- says, "They've got a serious problem. The world isn't
like it is now. It's darker, in bad shape. It's very polluted and
much colder." He goes on to recount that the visitors from the
future also have serious social problems and difficulties with
reproduction. Accordingly, one of the travellers' main tasks is
to obtain sperm and eggs and chromosomes in order to keep the
species alive. The species in question, he says in response to
the psychologist's question, is "us. They're humans."

"The problem here," says Penniston to Rayl after the videotape
ends, "is I don't know if this information is real in any sense,
if it's been planted in my mind or if any of it is actually
rooted in truth as we know it."

Questions Still Unanswered, Mystery Still Unsolved

OMNI asked David Jacobs, one of the country's leading abduction
researchers, to view and comment on the videotape of Penniston's
second hypnosis session. Jacobs, history professor at Temple
University, has conducted more than 600 hypnotic regressions and
has written two books on the phenomenon, Secret Life and a new
book, tentatively entitled The Threat, due in June 1997 from
Simon & Schuster. Based on his research, Jacobs believes that the
alien abduction phenomenon is real, that people really are being
taken aboard spacecraft and subjected to often cruel medical and
genetic examinations.

"The hypnosis started out fine," Jacobs says of the Penniston
session. "The psychologist didn't ask a lot of probing questions.
She did ask a few leading questions, but he didn't bite. It was
okay. I feel quite certain that they, the military agents, did
get him up into the office for an interrogation and that they did
inject him with sodium pentathol, put him on a table, and ask him
all those questions. It was quite a striking scene, and it all
had the ring of truth to me. In other words, it appeared that
this is exactly what happened. It had a beginning, a middle, and
an end and each part led logically to the next up until the
sodium pentathol. Once that was administered, it was chaos as far
as I was concerned.

"He zoomed off into a channelling mode, and the psychologist
didn't recognize it," contends Jacobs. "He simply dissociated,
which is what happens when people begin to channel. The
information is coming from one part of his brain, and the other
part hears it and think it's coming from the outside. And
suddenly he knows the answer to everything, as the psychologist
begins to ask him one question after another about the beings. He
knew the answer to absolutely everything, and only one question
was he unable to answer. This is a certainty of channelling. It's
a psychological phenomenon, and all the information that comes
from this is internally generated. If the hypnotist isn't real
experienced and doesn't recognize this, they can easily fall into
this trap, and this I believe was a classic situation of just
that."

(c) OMNI Internet

It might be interesting to determine whether the cassette recording matches (length-wise) this transcription available online (in 3 parts)...
My recording is the, 'Official' version, as provided by, 'UFO Magazine'!

Although almost certainly the same as Ian's, I am about to check this out and shall update shortly.

Present technical set-up, consists of Granddaughter's Amazon tablet with installed recording app and son's 20-old, 'boom box', which has the only tape recorder I could readily source. :)

IMG_20210326_173738_resize_98.jpg

One thing about the account in Pope, presumably based upon what Burroughs and Penniston told him, was that instead of coming down through the trees, snapping off branches, etc., which would have been consistent with the object being seen descending into the woodland, it actually appeared as a sudden burst of bright light in the clearing and then morphed into the craft that Penniston interacted physically with. Compare this with this snippet from Nick Redfern. It concerns a woman wandering around the stones at Avebury one evening:

..she was both startled and amazed to see a small ball of light perhapa 2' in diameter gliding slowly toward her. It was a plasma-like globe... the woman watched as the plasma ball closed in on her at a height of about 12'. the ball thenstopped around 15' fromher as small amounts of what looked like liquid metal slowly and silently dripped from it to the ground. Then in an instant it exploded in a bright, white flash. For a moment the witness was blinded by its intensity, and she instinctively dropped to her knees. When her eyes cleared she was faced with a horrific sight. the ball of light had gone but on the ground in front of her was what she could onlhy describe as a monstrous writhing worm... about 5' long, 8 or 9" thick, and its skin was milk-white in colour. As she slowly rose to her feet, the creature's head turned suddenly in her direction and two bulging eyes opened. When it began to move... in a caterpillar-like fashion.. she fled. (From The Pyramids and the Pentagon)

That case was from1962 but 3-4 years earlier, similar reports had been made by army personnel at Stonehenge. Globes of light would be seen entering the circle and flying upwards. Some of the younger soldiers who got too close became entranced, and on coming to they also reported horrific visions.

Is there a pattern here?

Nick Pope really fancied himself as Fox Mulder.

If it’s any help, me and the ex were sleepless and in the kitchen with the doors open around 4am one thundery night and noticed a plasma ball float down and ‘burst‘ on the garden.
I went out in the morning to the spot and there was a clear ring around the diameter of 7 small matchboxes in the grass.

Aside from the 'Nick Pope talks bollocks' one?
Pope didn't think much of the plasma theory nor, apparently, the MoD guy promoting it. But the incidents at Avebury and Stonehenge may well have been its starting points. What is especially interesting is the quasi-intelligent behavior of those plasmas. Graham Phillips' bizarre book The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant takes the idea a whole lot farther.

The point I'm making is that you cannot cite Pope as an authoritative or reliable source, certainly not to the degree he claims.
He undoubtedly has information about official UFO-related attitudes, but as an authoritative source about the phenomenon I wouldn't give his works any more credence than other writers. In this case I think he is right to focus on the close encounter aspect rather than the lights-in-the-sky/Halt audiotape angle. Where I do question his judgment is his including an alleged decrypt of the binary cipher, minus any details of how it was done. He does comment on the obvious "New Age" angle of the message, if that is what it is. I still question how Penniston, who judging by his written evidence is a highly articulate individual, can have written out pages of ones and zeroes and not immediately linked it with the binary number system.

Transcript of Col Halt’s tape
Transcribed by Ian Ridpath

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/halttape.html
As documented in the witness statements, there were unidentified lights observed seemingly moving through the forest that first night.

Subsequently, during the second night's incident and from Ian's exceptional transcript:

HALT: 3:05. At about ten degrees, horizon, directly north, we’ve got two strange objects, er, half moon shape, dancing about, with coloured lights on ‘em. At, er, guess to be about five to ten miles out, maybe less. The half moons have now turned into full circles as though there was an eclipse or something there for a minute or two.

HALT: 03:15. Now we’ve got an object about 10 degrees directly south, 10 degrees off the horizon.

NEVELS: ... to the left...

HALT: And the ones to the north are moving. One’s moving away from us.

BACKGROUND VOICE: (indistinct, but includes ‘moving’)

NEVELS: Moving out fast.

BALL(?): This one on the right’s heading away, too.

HALT: They’re both heading north. Hey, here he comes from the south, he’s coming toward us now.

HALT: Now we’re observing what appears to be a beam coming down to the ground.
(End of extract)

This is being observed through a, 'Starlight scope' night-image intensifier and so far as I can ascertain from those pivotal witness statements our first night and Halt's own recording, the first reference to a potential aerial vehicle?

...dripping metal similarity...
'Now there's a phrase you don't hear often'...

Thought you were about to post an Iron Maiden video. :badge:

Have to laugh... because I have, literally couple of minutes ago, opened up a dusty old box which has languished in dark recesses of *that* cupboard you never go into...

Lo and beholdeth... it's old material from my Rendlesham research and seems to include copies of earliest correspondence with the MoD from others such as Brenda Butler, Jenny Randles...

One example - simply the letterheading until I try and make sense if it all without breaching any confidentially.

I have absolutely no idea how this was acquired.

Looks like some of it is 'really interesting...'.

Soon as... :rup::rup::rup::rup::rup:

IMG_20210328_234902~2_compress89.jpg

Is there a pattern here?
Early 60s... some might say sounds almost like psychedelic experiences I hear old people used to have.

:omr:

Who knows...

Thankfully though, whilst we assuredly appreciate the utmost bizarre aspects of our Rendlesham affair, at least nobody in the 81st Security Police Squadron shot at our UFO.

As confirmed by one seemingly documented participents in the first night's events and from an interview transcript amongst the aforementioned material I have just rediscovered - will not identify said individual until I'm sure it's already known:

Q: Did you have weapons with you?

A: Yes.

Q: Did you throw a round in at anytime?

A: Yes.

Q: You did?

A: Yes. Guarantee. I didn't know what the - - - was in there and I was not taking any chances.
(End of extract)

And you wonder why they came back firing light-beams as a retaliatory warning...

Do I personally trust this anecdote?

I presently don't trust the sun will not rise later this morning in a resplendent tartan...

The point I'm making is that you cannot cite Pope as an authoritative or reliable source, certainly not to the degree he claims.
I note the following article:

My time as a UFO investigator for the government

By Nick Pope
22 March, 2016

(...)

I worked for the MOD for 21 years. From 1991 to 1994, I was posted to a division where my duties included undertaking these investigations. It was a fascinating job, to say the least.

(...)

What it meant in practice to work on these real-life X-Files varied. One moment I might be drawing up “lines to take” for the MOD press office to use in response to a query from a journalist. The next I might be sending a child some information for a school project or plotting out UFO sightings on a map, looking for patterns. We would drop everything if a Member of Parliament asked about the subject – extensively briefing defence ministers so that they could respond in a polite, factual, but dismissive way.

The day-to-day business revolved around investigating the newly-reported sightings: interviewing witnesses, checking radar tapes, and analysing photos and videos if we were lucky enough to get them – these were the days before everyone carried a mobile phone. It wasn’t quite as glamorous as sci-fi movies imply: it was less Men in Black and more Men in Grey.

We looked for conventional explanations for sightings, trying to correlate them with weather balloon launches, meteor showers, rocket re-entries and a whole host of other things that people misidentify as UFOs.

(...)

While the MOD certainly downplayed the true extent of its interest and involvement in the subject, I’m afraid we don’t have any crashed UFOs hidden away somewhere.

(...)

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160322-my-time-as-a-ufo-investigator-for-the-government

If perhaps of related interest, this is a document I have, quite coincidentally, just come across in newly rediscovered archive material:

IMG_20210329_020550~4_resize_93.jpg

Perhaps some might ponder how it can be reconciled that in 2016, Pope asserts, "the MOD certainly downplayed the true extent of its interest and involvement in the subject", whilst at his 'UFO Desk' in 1994 alerts, "There are still a few within the field who believe that the MOD is involved in a cover-up, and I think the more helpful and open we are, the less likely it is that this view will get an airing".

Psy-ops experiment I think.

Use of drugs. Other mind-altering techniques.

I don't know the purpose of the experiment.

People close to each other having very different experiences and "sightings". All participants explaining how they felt weird, spacey...

The fact that sodium pentothal was used on these witnesses is deplorable, and may be responsible for some of the more bizarre delusions in Penniston's case. But this was a time when the US military believed a lot of bizarre things.

The fact that sodium pentothal was used on these witnesses is deplorable, and may be responsible for some of the more bizarre delusions in Penniston's case. But this was a time when the US military believed a lot of bizarre things.

Yep. And not averse to making guinea pigs of it's staff.

As documented in the witness statements, there were unidentified lights observed seemingly moving through the forest that first night.
Subsequently, during the second night's incident and from Ian's exceptional transcript:
HALT: 3:05. At about ten degrees, horizon, directly north, we’ve got two strange objects, er, half moon shape, dancing about, with coloured lights on ‘em. At, er, guess to be about five to ten miles out, maybe less. The half moons have now turned into full circles as though there was an eclipse or something there for a minute or two.
Probably Vega and Deneb. The 'half moon shape' was presumably due to poor focusing with the StarScope.

HALT: 03:15. Now we’ve got an object about 10 degrees directly south, 10 degrees off the horizon.
This corresponds to where Sirius was.

BACKGROUND VOICE: (indistinct, but includes ‘moving’)
NEVELS: Moving out fast.
BALL(?): This one on the right’s heading away, too.
HALT: They’re both heading north. Hey, here he comes from the south, he’s coming toward us now.
I suspect this movement was due to autokinesis, and to poor handling of the Starscope. Note that these objects were described as moving 'towards' or 'away from' the observers, never translating from right to left. This apparent movement 'towards' or 'away from' the observers would not have resulted in any substantial difference in position; in reality, they were not moving at all.

Aside from the 'Nick Pope talks bollocks' one?

:clap:

Pope is a phoney. Telling everyone he is the British Agent Mulder "running the British government's UFO progrmme" (which never existed)...when in fact he was a secretary/tea boy who filed papers for the MOD that occasionaly found one or two, as he filed them, that had some sort of reference to something a pilot saw that was a bit odd. Oh and posting copy and paste letters to thank people for their UFO report but advising them that no further action would be taken by the MOD.

Fair play to him tho...made a good career with his self-created "brand".

Last edited:
Note that these objects were described as moving 'towards' or 'away from' the observers, never translating from right to left. This apparent movement 'towards' or 'away from' the observers would not have resulted in any substantial difference in position; in re
Much appreciated input and certainly raises questions.

From Halt's subsequent memo to the MOD:

"Immediately thereafter, three star-like objects were noticed in the sky, two objects to the north and one to the south, all of which were about 10 degrees off the horizon. The objects moved rapidly in sharp, angular movements and displayed red, green and blue lights. The objects to the north appeared to be elliptical through an 8-12 power lens. They then turned to full circles. The objects to the north remained in the sky for an hour or more. The object to the south was visible for two or three hours and beamed down a stream of light from time to time".

This is the only reference I'm aware of to Halt using an, "8-12 power lens".

What might that be - was it part of the Starlight scope, or a separate attachment?

If an 8-12 magnification lens is being utilised in addition to a Starlight scope, how reliable would any enigmatic observations be?

There's considerable detail on the Starlight scope which may have been used by Halt:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PVS-4

Interesting to note therein:

"Due to its availability and affordability, the AN/PVS-4 has been used very successfully in the realm of electronically assisted astronomy.

Astronomers have adapted the AN/PVS-4 for use with telescopes and other celestial observation equipment".

In Halt's memo, we have, "three star-like objects", two north and one to the south, "all of which were about 10 degrees off the horizon".

"The objects to the north remained in the sky for an hour or more. The object to the south was visible for two or three hours...".

In Halt's tape recording, we hear:

HALT: 3:05. At about ten degrees, horizon, directly north, we’ve got two strange objects...

So, that's apparently consistent with his subsequent memo.

What happened next on tape was...

Therefore, both objects to the north seemingly moved away, whilst the one southwards appeared to come much closer.

However, in Halt's recording he describes their positions, as last observed:

HALT: 03:30 and the objects are still in the sky, although the one to the south looks like it’s losing a little bit of altitude.

Is this inconsistent?

Why is our object to the south, which reportedly came towards them, now apparently back where it started?

Did it ever actually move closer to them at all?

As it statedly, "looks like it’s losing a little bit of altitude", would that be consistent with the star you believe it to be?

I'm not certain if this has been published before.

It's a map of the base provided by Kevin Conde and illustrates where he pulled off his 'UFO' stunt, turning the security police car's side searchlights upwards and directing beams into the sky.

Whether or not this actually occurred on the same night as Halt's involvement is an aside here.

What we have is a significantly helpful map, highlighting the various locations in context.

I wondered if it might assist in further placing in perspective Halt's perceived beams of light coming down onto the base from our aeriel object to the south of his position.

Problem I have with this map and which essentially applies throughout my life, is not being sure which way is 'up', or in this case, 'north'.

Way too large for an attachment, thus:

www.forteanmedia.com/Kev_Map.jpg

Why is our object to the south, which reportedly came towards them, now apparently back where it started?
Did it ever actually move closer to them at all?
As it statedly, "looks like it’s losing a little bit of altitude", would that be consistent with the star you believe it to be?
Absolutely. Sirius was slowly moving towards the southwest and losing altitude, whereas Deneb and Vega are circumpolar and would have remained above the horizon until dawn.

... Problem I have with this map and which essentially applies throughout my life, is not being sure which way is 'up', or in this case, 'north'. ...

After comparison with a satellite view, it appears 'Up = North' on the annotated map.

After comparison with a satellite view, it appears 'Up = North' on the annotated map.
Thank you.

I previously highlighted:

(Start)
Halt made this assertion in fundamental, yet little known, 1997 detailed interviews he gave to Salley Rayl, under the auspices of the Microsoft Network 'Project: watchfire'. The transcript documents:

The beam, says Halt, just went away. "It clicked off as though someone threw a switch, and the object receded, back up into the sky," he says. "Then it moved back toward Bentwaters and continued to send down beams of light, at one point near the weapons storage facility. We knew that, because we could hear the chatter on the radio."
(End)

Consequently, how could our object to the south of Halt's position have, "moved back toward Bentwaters", allegedly beaming lights down near the Weapons Storage Area (WSA), when Bentwaters base was evidently to the north?

These are the final comments on Halt's tape:

HALT: 03:30 and the objects are still in the sky, although the one to the south looks like it’s losing a little bit of altitude...

HALT: The object to the south is still beaming down lights to the ground.

HALT: 04:00 hours. One object still hovering over Woodbridge base at about five to ten degrees off the horizon, still moving erratic and similar lights and beaming down as earlier.
[End of Recording]

This obviously relates to RAF Woodbridge, not RAF Bentwaters and Woodbridge is only circa a couple of miles due west.

Again how can an object to the south and, "beaming down as earlier" be equated here?

"The object to the south is still beaming down lights to the ground".

Onto what?

As evidenced by our map, there were seemingly no twin-base facilities south of Halt's location.

Thank you.

I previously highlighted:

(Start)
Halt made this assertion in fundamental, yet little known, 1997 detailed interviews he gave to Salley Rayl, under the auspices of the Microsoft Network 'Project: watchfire'. The transcript documents:

The beam, says Halt, just went away. "It clicked off as though someone threw a switch, and the object receded, back up into the sky," he says. "Then it moved back toward Bentwaters and continued to send down beams of light, at one point near the weapons storage facility. We knew that, because we could hear the chatter on the radio."
(End)

Consequently, how could our object to the south of Halt's position have, "moved back toward Bentwaters", allegedly beaming lights down near the Weapons Storage Area (WSA), when Bentwaters base was evidently to the north?
I think the only possible interpretation is:

1. An object seen in the south travels overhead then shoots beams down at witnesses' feet.
2. It then proceeds north towards Bentwaters and fires more beams down onto that.

Maybe the later comments refer to a different object in the south? Obviously at some stage the vague references to lights and objects, some possibly stars, lead to confusion, but the sequence leading to the beams being shot down seems more coherent.

As the tape says:

HALT: Now we’re observing what appears to be a beam coming down to the ground.

This map is of great value because even when checking some good sites I hadn't been able to find one pinpointing the exact location of Bentwaters base. In this piece of the puzzle it begins to make sense!

Note that I do not believe that these objects actually moved at all, except for the very gradual movement of Sirius towards the south west horizon. It may be that Halt and his colleagues perceived that as being a movement towards Woodbridge, or they may have become completely disorientated and thought that Bentwaters was in this direction.

Deneb and Vega would also have moved slightly, but they are closer to the pole, so this would have been more difficult to see.

Note that I do not believe that these objects actually moved at all, except for the very gradual movement of Sirius towards the south west horizon. It may be that Halt and his colleagues perceived that as being a movement towards Woodbridge, or they may have become completely disorientated and thought that Bentwaters was in this direction.

Deneb and Vega would also have moved slightly, but they are closer to the pole, so this would have been more difficult to see.
So the witnesses would have had to be insanely disorientated to see one of these stars, which barely moves, come directly overhead and fire down beams of light at their feet before proceeding to Bentwaters! The star theory may hold for many, maybe even most, of the alleged observations that night, but not something that was directly overhead. That is the issue.

Back