• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Looking For Haunted Skies Volumes 4, 5 + 6

taras

Least Haunted
Annoyingly I got as far as having volumes 1, 2, 3 and 7, 8, 9 of Hanson & Holloway's "Haunted Skies" series before they issued the 'updated' editions which now span different periods.

Also, I want all the spines to match on my shelf, which, let's face it, is the most important thing.

So I am looking for volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the original series (black borders on the book covers) - if anyone has them and wants to sell them, let me know! Specifically:

- Haunted Skies vol 4 1968-1971
- Haunted Skies vol 5 1972-1974
- Haunted Skies vol 6 1975-1977

Thanks!

Annoyingly I got as far as having volumes 1, 2, 3 and 7, 8, 9 of Hanson & Holloway's "Haunted Skies" series before they issued the 'updated' editions which now span different periods.

what a pain!

Also, I want all the spines to match on my shelf, which, let's face it, is the most important thing.

TRUTH!

So I am looking for volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the original series (black borders on the book covers) -

maybe give us a picture of the binding you want?

maybe give us a picture of the binding you want?

These ones.

these.jpg

Here's a comparison of the old and new versions, which might help explain why I want the old ones.

1617286480373.png

Last edited:
Afraid I can’t help but I do know they were at one point at least going for stupid money. Good luck!

So I am looking for volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the original series (black borders on the book covers) - if anyone has them and wants to sell them, let me know! Specifically:

- Haunted Skies vol 4 1968-1971
- Haunted Skies vol 5 1972-1974
- Haunted Skies vol 6 1975-1977

Thanks!
Found this one online not sure if its the correct one

Screenshot_20210401-165748.png

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Haunted-Skies-Encyclopaedia-British-UFOs-VOLUME/30564013924/bd

There are some on Amazon but they arw $900 + :oops:

These ones.

View attachment 37514

Here's a comparison of the old and new versions, which might help explain why I want the old ones.

View attachment 37517
This almost beats the Portuguese (as in Portugal, not Brazilian Portuguese) translation of John Keel's Our Haunted Planet. Almost.
607296.jpg

So, this book is made of unobtainium (I wish I could find a copy), and it is needed to quote this Keel work in Portuguese (then, the academics will look for the source, and may be find it... it might be better to translate for quotes).

So, this book is made of unobtainium (I wish I could find a copy), and it is needed to quote this Keel work in Portuguese (then, the academics will look for the source, and may be find it... it might be better to translate for quotes).
Oh I'm sure that is much rarer than Haunted Skies! The one I want is 'Mysteries of the Great War' by Harold Wilkins. According to Jack Womack most copies were destroyed during WW2. There is one copy at the National Library here so I am going to check it out once restrictions are lifted.

[...] The one I want is 'Mysteries of the Great War' by Harold Wilkins. According to Jack Womack most copies were destroyed during WW2. [...]
Unfortunately, one of the destroyed copies was the one at the Berlin State Library. I checked its availability:
https://blog.sbb.berlin/online-geoeffnet-unsere-services/#comment-80086

I use the service provided by Subito [ https://www.subito-doc.de/?lang=en ], that allows remote borrowing (paying for shipping and the service fee, and of course returning the book). With that, I can get a by-mail borrowing of books at 40 German libraries, but sadly the book you want was only available at the Berlin State Library. I was going to recommend you to borrow it using Subito, but none of the affiliated libraries provide it (Subito is not available for Americans, because of copyright issues, but they have their own ways, with well established interlibrary loan systems).

Unfortunately, one of the destroyed copies was the one at the Berlin State Library. I checked its availability:
Thanks for checking! As I say, it is available at our National Library, which is conveniently a 20-minute walk from where I live, so I will be able to have a look once things start opening again.

Well, a small walk is nothing, but when you wrote "at our National Library" I thought of at least another city--and with how things are today, it could be easier to read it at the ISS, if a copy was there.

It's certainly more than irritating when a run of publications decides to change not only its cover style (which has gone from functional to deeply naff, imo), but also the way volumes are divided up... quite unnecessary, for the most part.

I don't have any of these unfortunately, but I do have some contacts in the secondhand book trade so I'll put out some feelers... and with charity shops opening/opened again across the UK, there's perhaps a better chance than usual that those copies missing from your collection might surface over the coming months, if a lot of people are planning a post-lockdown clear out?

With any luck, instead of costing you an arm and a leg, you may be able to pick 'em up for only a few lesser-used digits and an earlobe...

The new repackages are not to my taste.

Fortunately I have vols. 1 to 7 in the old black covers. I was in contact with the pair back in the day when they still had the blogspot site with the newspaper clippings and announcements of new issues in the series. They helped me on occasion with the odd newspaper clipping I needed for my research. I remember wanting to buy issues 8 to 9 or even 10 or something, but for reasons unclear it became rather difficult, and in the end I never managed to obtain those.

I can't say I am enamored by the new covers, in my opinion the old covers gave the series some seriousness and gravity, but I do acknowledge their hard work and dedication, and the series makes an interesting overview of the UK ufo phenomenon - the first of its kind in this manner.

Best regards,

twitter.com/memizon

https://blog.sbb.berlin/online-geoeffnet-unsere-services/#comment-80086

I use the service provided by Subito [ https://www.subito-doc.de/?lang=en ], that allows remote borrowing (paying for shipping and the service fee, and of course returning the book). With that, I can get a by-mail borrowing of books at 40 German libraries, but sadly the book you want was only available at the Berlin State Library. I was going to recommend you to borrow it using Subito, but none of the affiliated libraries provide it (Subito is not available for Americans, because of copyright issues, but they have their own ways, with well established interlibrary loan systems).
Mysteries of the Great War is not really fortean, if that's what you're after.

Best regards,

twitter.com/memizon

Well....it only took a year and a half! Fortunately someone put vol 5 and 6 on eBay and I snagged them for reasonable prices. Huzzah

I do enjoy the hunt! Congratulations :twothumbs:

I bought the first volume back when the CFZ published it and found it a great read, discovering some new cases. I've been meaning to track down a few more and have no excuses now :)

Together they represent a huge undertaking and many years of diligent research by the authors. However, they do not speculate on possible rational explanations, but once you are aware of a case from, say 1976, then you can track it down in the BUFORA journals or elsewhere

I bought the first volume back when the CFZ published it and found it a great read, discovering some new cases. I've been meaning to track down a few more and have no excuses now :)

Together they represent a huge undertaking and many years of diligent research by the authors. However, they do not speculate on possible rational explanations, but once you are aware of a case from, say 1976, then you can track it down in the BUFORA journals or elsewhere

Yes, it's quite an accomplishment. I wanted the original series with the first six volumes published by CFZ. You can see from the 'shelfie' above how each volume expanded once they started self-publishing - the last volume is about 1000 pages long!

Back