• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

Don't know if the death was strange, but the body was found on air by an Australian weatherman:
News story

(The footage is blurred deliberately out of respect). Oddly, there seems to be another body found nearby, the victim's friend. The man seems to be British, the woman Australian.
Until he explained he'd stripped off i was thinking 'do all aussie weathermen do the forecast topless?'

Ex Met Police Chief kills himself in car explosion

The man who died was named locally as Edwin Williams, who was in his 70s and was a former Detective Superintendent in the Metropolitan Police.

Mr Williams was said to have been involved in a series of disputes with neighbours and other villagers in Cavendish near Sudbury, Suffolk.

He had repeatedly complained about the noise of the bells at 14th century St Mary the Virgin's church in Cavendish.

Villagers heard a huge explosion and looked out to see Mr Williams' grey Hyundai IX35 estate car on fire at roughly 7.30am, with flames shooting up to 30ft in the air.

A villager said: "He was always falling out with people and was not a very popular man.

"He had various legal disputes with different neighbours over the years. He would complain about things like problems with drains and guttering causing damp in his house.

"But his biggest issue was with the church bells. Most people in the village love the sound of the bells, but he would repeatedly moan about them.

"He normally parks on his own driveway at the side of his house behind a set of gates, but it seems he started the fire after parking deliberately beside his neighbour's cars."

"Nobody could get near and people only realised that there was a body in the car when the firefighters arrived and dealt with the fire.

"He must have had something in the car to cause such a fierce fire and a big explosion."

1_PAY-car_cavendish_eans6.jpg

Was it a suicide or something more like an attack that went horribly wrong? Or right, when he was the only person killed, maybe? Either way, he did not sound stable from that report.

A Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck.
Russian hockey player Timur Faizutdinov, 19, dies after being hit by puck

A 19-year-old Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck, his club announced in a statement on Tuesday.

Timur Faizutdinov, a defenseman for Dynamo St. Petersburg's junior team, passed away today after he was injured during a match in Yaroslavl, Russia, on March 12. ...

"Timur Faizutdinov was injured on March 12 in Yaroslavl during a match against Lokomotiv. The puck hit the head area, the player was hospitalized in serious condition. Doctors fought for his life for three days," the statement said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/sport/russia-hockey-death-faizutdinov-puck-spt-intl/index.html

Peloton: Child killed in 'tragic' treadmill accident

Peloton has warned parents to keep children away from its treadmills after the death of a child.

Boss John Foley called it "tragic accident" - one of a "small handful" of incidents in which children have been hurt on the firm's exercise equipment.

He did not disclose further details about what happened.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56451430

Just saw this:
Katherine Diaz: Tributes paid to surfer killed by lightning - BBC Sport

Tributes have been paid to El Salvador surfer Katherine Diaz, who died after being struck by lightning.

The incident happened at El Tunco beach in her homeland as Diaz, 22, prepared for a tournament which could have earned her a Tokyo Olympics spot.

"Katherine embodied the joy and energy that make surfing so special and dear to us all," said the International Surfing Association (ISA).

"She excelled at the international competition level."

Peloton: Child killed in 'tragic' treadmill accident

Peloton has warned parents to keep children away from its treadmills after the death of a child.

Boss John Foley called it "tragic accident" - one of a "small handful" of incidents in which children have been hurt on the firm's exercise equipment.

He did not disclose further details about what happened.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56451430

There are numerous ways for kids to be injured or killed on treadmills. When I worked in gyms my stomach would churn when I saw parents running on a treadmill with their toddler playing nearby.

The things are dangerous enough for adults who don't pay attention!

John Magufuli: Children die in stampede as Tanzania mourns leader

A woman and four children have died after a stampede as Tanzanians mourn former President John Magufuli, police have told the BBC.

Some reports say the death toll could be high as 40 but officials have not confirmed this.

Tens of thousands of people had turned up at a stadium in Dar es Salaam to view the body of the former president.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56485528

A personal trainer, 29, died of caffeine toxicity.

Family left heartbroken by tragedy of dad, 29, who died after downing high caffeine drink

A super-fit father collapsed and died after downing a high caffeine drink before his regular workout.

Personal trainer Thomas Mansfield, 29, suffered a suspected caffeine overdose after ingesting the shake at his home.

His heartbroken wife Suzy watched as Tom foamed at the mouth and began to fit just minutes after taking the shake drink.

An inquest heard Tom had mixed caffeine powder into his drink at the family home in Colwyn Bay, Conwy.

Self-employed Tom ran fitness classes across North Wales with his personal training business and used the motto: "With you every step of the way."

Red Bull has a high level of caffeine, but it's in measured doses that most people can tolerate.
It sounds like this guy had bought powdered caffeine and just put a lot of it in his drink. That kind of massive intake is trouble.

Edit: Oh yes, and powdered caffeine might be illegal in the US. For a reason!

It sounds like this guy had bought powdered caffeine and just put a lot of it in his drink. That kind of massive intake is trouble.
Edit: Oh yes, and powdered caffeine might be illegal in the US. For a reason!
Interesting:

In the U.S., adults consume an average of 135 mg of caffeine daily, or the amount in 1.5 cups of coffee (1 cup = 8 ounces). [5] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers 400 milligrams (about 4 cups brewed coffee) a safe amount of caffeine for healthy adults to consume daily.

Caffeine toxicity has been observed with intakes of 1.2 grams or more in one dose. Consuming 10-14 grams at one time is believed to be fatal. Caffeine intake up to 10 grams has caused convulsions and vomiting, but recovery is possible in about 6 hours. Side effects at lower doses of 1 gram include restlessness, irritability, nervousness, vomiting, rapid heart rate, and tremors.

Toxicity is generally not seen when drinking caffeinated beverages because a very large amount would need to be taken within a few hours to reach a toxic level (10 gm of caffeine is equal to about 100 cups of brewed coffee). Dangerous blood levels are more often seen with overuse of caffeine pills or tablets. [3]

Caffeine | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

In case you're looking for a protracted, dreadful and gross plot line for your next nightmare ...
Father of three drowns in manure pit while working at Colorado dairy

Juan Panzo Temoxtle, 44, died after a manure vacuum truck he was operating sunk into a manure pit at the Shelton Dairy on March 31.

Project to Protect Food System Workers, an advocacy group for Colorado agriculture workers, released details of his death this week.

According to the group’s press release, Temoxtle “was operating the manure vacuum truck when it appeared to have lurched forward and fell into the manure pit, submerging the cab of the truck in the fetid liquid manure….”

The release goes on to say the father of three children was trapped inside the truck for 30 minutes before workers were able to get the truck free from the pit using a forklift.

Temoxtle was later declared dead at the hospital on March 31. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.9news.com/article/news/...elton/73-079c3373-c906-4f3e-b1d5-9b517a0acd65

Three people have died and 33 are ill in Denmark after taking health suppliments infected with salmonella.

"Nineteen people have so far been taken to hospital, according to Denmark's SSI health agency. Those involved in the outbreak are aged between two and 92.

All those affected ate Husk brand psyllium husk capsules from batches recalled by manufacturer Orkla Care."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56751493

Three people have died and 33 are ill in Denmark after taking health suppliments infected with salmonella.

"Nineteen people have so far been taken to hospital, according to Denmark's SSI health agency. Those involved in the outbreak are aged between two and 92.

All those affected ate Husk brand psyllium husk capsules from batches recalled by manufacturer Orkla Care."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56751493
That is something that you'd least expect to be infected with salmonella.

Those involved in the outbreak are aged between two and 92.
So, barring the free will choice of those over 92, and the extremely slim possibility that a toddler is going to ask their parents for some Husk brand psyllium, that is all people anyway then.

But the point it raises is that for this age range to be mentioned infers that there was someone 91 years old but also someone only 3.
Worrying.

An updated on the 'Peloton treadmill', after the death last month of a child, along with numerous accidents, saftey regulators in the US have urged owners to "stop using the product immediately".

"The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says it is aware of 39 incidents including one death, involving the Peloton Tread+.

Peloton had already confirmed the death last month and said children should stay away from the machines.

On Saturday, Peloton called the CPSC's warning "inaccurate and misleading"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56790070

An updated on the 'Peloton treadmill', after the death last month of a child, along with numerous accidents, saftey regulators in the US have urged owners to "stop using the product immediately".

"The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says it is aware of 39 incidents including one death, involving the Peloton Tread+.

I saw a video on the news of a toddler being sucked under one of these machines, and yes it was difficult to watch. My first thought was "What kind of idiot allows toddlers to play unsupervised around a piece of machinery like this?" The manufacturer specifically warns against allowing children and pets around the equipment.

My second thought was "Why did they need a video camera trained on their treadmill?" Are they just self-absorbed twats who think the world needs to see them working out, or, more disturbingly, did they think they could get a funny video of the kids playing on the treadmill?

Yes, this treadmill has an in-running pinch point at the floor. So does every other treadmill I've ever seen. That's why a treadmill is not a toy. If you're going to ban the Peloton, it would make sense to ban ALL treadmills.

Sorry kids are getting hurt, but what I see is just another instance of lazy irresponsible owners and petty bureaucrats trying to justify their salaries. This isn't the first time Peloton has been singled out, though. Has someone in the news media or the regulatory apparatus decided they need to take down Peloton? Is there a back story here?

What I can't figure out is why aren't treadmills designed so that there are no dangerous bits, other than the flat surface being run upon?
It would be very easy indeed to design them with all the moving bits covered up, and 'kill switch' cut-offs built into the edges etc, much like dangerous machines in work places do.

As an example, I've got a chainsaw which is obviously very dangerous indeed and you wouldn't let a toddler 'play' with it, however it is designed so that you really need to be an adult to use it, with 2 handles that need to be held in against a spring simultaneously to allow the device to run.
It's not rocket science.

What I can't figure out is why aren't treadmills designed so that there are no dangerous bits, other than the flat surface being run upon?
It would be very easy indeed to design them with all the moving bits covered up, and 'kill switch' cut-offs built into the edges etc, much like dangerous machines in work places do.

As an example, I've got a chainsaw which is obviously very dangerous indeed and you wouldn't let a toddler 'play' with it, however it is designed so that you really need to be an adult to use it, with 2 handles that need to be held in against a spring simultaneously to allow the device to run.
It's not rocket science.
I have a treadmill, and it does have the front end of the belt covered - yet the back end is uncovered. It seems to me that a cover could be placed over the back end, but that might create other safety issues (somebody might slide off the back and carve off a body part). Hence the reason why they are left uncovered.
The onus is really on the parents to keep their children away from the treadmill while it is in use.
As Frasier Buddolph says, it seems that Peloton has been singled out. Very unfair to single them out, when other manufacturers make very similar equipment.

I saw a video on the news of a toddler being sucked under one of these machines, and yes it was difficult to watch. My first thought was "What kind of idiot allows toddlers to play unsupervised around a piece of machinery like this?" The manufacturer specifically warns against allowing children and pets around the equipment.

My second thought was "Why did they need a video camera trained on their treadmill?" Are they just self-absorbed twats who think the world needs to see them working out, or, more disturbingly, did they think they could get a funny video of the kids playing on the treadmill?

Yes, this treadmill has an in-running pinch point at the floor. So does every other treadmill I've ever seen. That's why a treadmill is not a toy. If you're going to ban the Peloton, it would make sense to ban ALL treadmills.

Sorry kids are getting hurt, but what I see is just another instance of lazy irresponsible owners and petty bureaucrats trying to justify their salaries. This isn't the first time Peloton has been singled out, though. Has someone in the news media or the regulatory apparatus decided they need to take down Peloton? Is there a back story here?

Having learned a little more about the Peloton Tread+ treadmill, fairness requires me to qualify my earlier post. The Tread+ differs from many other treadmills on the market in that its design and lack of certain safety features DO make accidents more likely. The specific design features in question are the raised base, which creates a larger-than-usual gap between the rear of the belt and the floor, and the use of a slatted running surface rather than a smooth continuous belt. Both of these make it more likely that an object contacting the in-running pinch point will be dragged under the machine. The Peloton also reportedly lacks sensing features in the control program, present on other machines, that shut the treadmill down if an unusual condition occurs.

That being said, I still think that inattentive users bear most of the blame for the accidents that have been reported.

Is there a back story here?
I think that's quite likely. Another similar company is advertising on UK telly at the moment. (Personally I'm sick of Peleton adverts). Equally dangerous are weights, dumb bells and the like being left around a home. I would say that most gym equipment has the potential to be dangerous with children around. I would conjecture that with the reopening of gyms companies like Peleton will die a death.

A man has be run over and killed by his own car as he tried to prevent it rolling down a hill

"The 69-year-old's Kia Sportage began rolling down Crompton Vale in Bolton as he returned to it from a walk at about 14:40 BST on Saturday.

Greater Manchester Police said while attempting to stop it, he was run over and despite the efforts of paramedics, was pronounced dead at the scene."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-56878159

Having learned a little more about the Peloton Tread+ treadmill, fairness requires me to qualify my earlier post. The Tread+ differs from many other treadmills on the market in that its design and lack of certain safety features DO make accidents more likely. ...

Update ... Peloton has relented and issued a recall covering all their treadmills.
Peloton recalls all treadmills after a child's death and 70 injuries

Peloton recalled its Tread+ and Tread treadmills Wednesday, and the company admitted it was wrong to fight the Consumer Product Safety Commission's request that it do so.

About 125,000 treadmills are included in the recall. The CPSC said that there has been one child death and 70 other injuries tied to the treadmills. But when the federal safety agency issued a warning about the dangers last month, Peloton took the unusual step of refusing to recall them.

"I want to be clear, Peloton made a mistake in our initial response to the CPSC's request," said Peloton CEO John Foley. "We should have engaged more productively with them from the outset. For that, I apologize." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/business/peloton-treadmill-recall/index.html

This is like something from a horror film..

Woman wakes up to blood dripping from ceiling fan – as body rots on floor above

A sleeping woman was woken up by blood dripping on her from a ceiling fan – after her neighbor on the floor above had died and his body started decomposing.

Ana Cardenas, from El Paso, Texas, says she was disturbed in the middle of the night by what she thought was the sound of rain and water dripping on her face.

But those droplets were actually splatters of blood that had been sprayed across her flat by the blades on her fan. The blood covered the walls, her bed and her face and hair.

The horrifying ordeal happened because her neighbor on the floor above, a man aged between 50 and 70, had died five to six days ago and his began has started to decompose.

As the body of the man, who died of natural causes, began to rot blood started seeping through the floorboards and into Ana’s flat, via her ceiling fan.

224-pound Russian woman reportedly killed husband with her buttocks

A 224-pound Russian woman faces some heavy-duty justice for sitting on her husband and strangling him to death with her massive buttocks during a boozy dispute, a report said.

Tatyana O. allegedly refused to let Aidar go even as he “begged forgiveness.”

tatyana-64.jpg

Tatyana said she merely wanted to calm her hubby down after the couple had been drinking.

Aidar died from “asphyxia from blocking the respiratory system” as his face was wedged into the mattress, as Tatyana sat on his neck “using her legs so he could not lift it,” a medical examination found.

During a trial, Tatyana was convicted of causing death by negligence after a murder charge was dropped.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/19/russian-woman-reportedly-suffocated-husband-to-death-with-her-butt/

maximus otter

Back