• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Historic UFO Encounters: Newspaper / Magazine Articles

There seems to be a theme with 'someone telling whoever' to cease with investigations (mib types), this suggests to me one of two things, either the 'authorities' know what these UFOs are and are in a dialogue with who/where ever these craft are coming from, or they are black ops/experimental terrestrial craft that 'authorities' dont want the public to know about.

This is a fun one:
The Gloucester Advocate (NSW : 1905 - 1954)
Sat 7 Mar 1908

MysteryofClouds.jpg

This sighting from 1908 really reminds me the sighting of an object seen later in 1948, at end of second article.
index.php

index.php

A LOT of excellent, real, UFO encounters here:
https://www.stangordon.info/wp/2021/06/07/the-government-needs-to-be-more-forthcoming-about-the-ongoing-ufo-mystery-ufo-sightings-reported-yearly-in-pennsylvania/

I LOVE the one below. reminds me a bit of what could have happened to me. Classic tactic. Road encounter.

August 30, 1983-Derry-
A businessman was traveling along Route 217 toward Derry just before midnight. As the man drove down a hill, he suddenly became aware of a series of amber lights that appeared about forty to sixty feet above his vehicle. The man soon realized that he was underneath a huge solid round object that was pacing him down the road. The driver became alarmed both from the tremendous size of the object that he estimated was about two to three hundred feet in diameter, and from the odd strong bass sound that the object was emitting that was vibrating through his body. At times, the witness said he felt claustrophobic when he was under the object. He said the experience was similar to driving into a large underground lighted parking lot.

DSCN2530-1024x768.jpg

Sketch of the bottom view of the object based on the eyewitness description by Robert McCurry
The witness was able to provide to me a detailed description of the object. The round object was battleship gray in color and had a bluish tinge to it. The bottom section was flat, but in the center was a square or slightly rectangular area outlined in black. It gave the witness the impression that it might have been something like a doorway. The entire bottom section of the object was covered in amber lights that emitted a soft yet bright glow. The lights were each about nine to thirteen inches in diameter and did not flash.

The man became frightened as the object followed overhead and he accelerated in speed to try to get away from it. Moments later, the object that had followed him down the road hovered over him a second time and then a third time. The object finally moved off into the sky and was not seen again. Soon after his frightening experience, he contacted the Latrobe police department who referred him to my UFO hotline. I found the witness to be very credible.

This is a great one too. Woulda been called an "airship" back in the day. NOT a Chinese drone! :evillaugh:

* June 21, 1985-Indianhead- A fellow on his way home from work at about 12:30 AM noticed an odd series of six lights in the sky. As he approached closer, he realized that the lights were attached to an object that looked like a solid elongated blimp. The object, however, had no gondola like that of a blimp. The witness soon realized that he was seeing something that was quite unusual.

The object had a silver metallic look to its surface and looked to be about one hundred feet long. The witness pulled off the road and exited his vehicle to get a better look at it. The object made no sound as it hovered, but as it began to move, he heard a whoosh sound as though something enormous was moving through the air. The object was moving about thirty feet above the trees.

The witness could see that the bottom of the object was hollow from the bright blue lights that were being emitted from that section of the object. Six bright lights at the top of the object were described as flashes of high intensity blue. Those lights spun in a counterclockwise pattern and illuminated the trees and the ground. The object then moved and hovered very low over a field. The fellow ran to the field and stood underneath the object looking for any identification markings such as Goodyear or USA, but there were none. He yelled out loudly but there was no response.

He ran back to his car and soon sped down the road to get his parents to bring back to that location. When they arrived at that location the object was gone. The fellow called the state police, and I was contacted about the sighting soon after. That same evening within hours, several other witnesses from different areas of the state had also reported seeing a similar shaped object.

Cape Employee/Cousin Claim in 1967:

SAUCER-SHAPED UFO SEEN IN SKELTON WEST VIRGINIA AREA

A Skelton man and his cousin, an employee at Cape Kennedy in Florida cited an unidentified flying object (UFO) "hovering" Wednesday night over the Skelton vicinity.

The saucer-shaped object "silvery-gray" in color was topped with a high dome, according to the men, Robert Walker of Skelton and Charles Teel of Cape Kennedy.

"We stood and watched the object, at first thinking it was a cloud," the men said, "and then it started to move."

"I've never seen anything move so fast," Teel said.

Employed as an electrician at Cape Kennedy, Teel said he had seen satellites and other apparatus such as missiles and so forth, "but this was different. I've never seen anything like it," he said.

"I've never doubted anyone seeing such a thing, but this was really hard to believe," he said. "And I swear," he said, "that I never even had a drink of cough syrup."

1649436469348.png

Last edited:
The O-Files: Here are five UFO or alien sightings reported in Ohio

https://eu.dispatch.com/story/news/...ufo-alien-sightings-reported-ohio/7684251002/
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...sedgntp&cvid=a0e67e16ed4845c39ca65e044c9c770f

From Roswell, New Mexico, to Circleville, Ohio, UFOs and aliens have been part of American myth and legend for some 75 years.

The U.S. government in 2020 released three videos of UFO sightings by Navy pilots — one from 2004 and two from 2015. And NASA announced Thursday that it's launching a study of UFOs.

The new study will begin this fall and last nine months, costing no more than $100,000, the Associated Press reported. It will be entirely open, with no classified military data used.

NASA said the team will be led by astrophysicist David Spergel, president of the Simons Foundation for advancing scientific research.

The Buckeye State has had its fair share of UFO sightings and close encounters. Here are five of the most popular in Ohio lore:

1. Portage County, 1966
On April 17, 1966, two Portage County Sheriff's deputies stopped to investigate an abandoned car about 5 a.m. near Ravenna, Ohio, about 144 miles northeast of Columbus.

According to a report from The Beaver County Times in western Pennsylvania, the two deputies saw a UFO come up from behind some trees and chased the flying saucer from Ohio across the state line into Pennsylvania during an 86-mile chase that at times reached 100 mph.

At one point, a dispatcher instructed the two deputies to shoot the object, but a sergeant countermanded that, saying it could be a government weather balloon, the story said.

One of the Portage County deputies, Dale Spaur, told reporters then that the object was roughly 40 feet wide and 20 feet tall by his estimation.

"Somebody had control over it," he said. "It wasn't just floating around. It can maneuver."

The deputies gave up the pursuit in Conway, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, home of a massive rail yard. The UFO hovered then sped off into the night, but hundreds of people reported seeing the saucer and hearing its steady hum.

"We were close, closer than I ever want to be again," Spaur said.

2. Tarlton, 2006 or 2007
Two women driving back from Columbus in 2006 or 2007 were near Tarlton, a village on the border of Fairfield and Pickaway counties, when they spotted what is described in the account as an "entity sitting inside of a silver truck."

The database on the Roundtown UFO Society (RUFOS) website compares the sighting to the 1985 Alien flick "Cocoon," calling whatever the pair saw white and of slight body stature, "almost glowing."

The pair gave their first-hand account of the night in a recorded RUFOS meeting in March 2018. For years after the incident, they said, they never talked about the encounter.

The two women said the person or thing in the truck was glowing brightly.

"My headlights are shining on the vehicle because we're looking straight at it," one of the women said in the recording. "There's nothing in the actual cab of the truck ... as we became parallel with the truck this is where we had different experiences. I felt like something was turning my head, making me turn and as I turned in the opposite direction there was this ... it glowed like white power, that's the only way I can describe it."

"There are no eyeballs," the second woman told RUFOS members. "Very thin, hairless, bald and so thin ... no definition of (nose and mouth). But it was glowing."

Three Circleville residents who are members of the Roundtown UFO Society(RUFOS -- from left, Jon Fry, Pete Hartinger and Cameron Jones -- visit what used to be the Pickaway County farm of Bruce Stevenson, who said that in 1948 he saw a UFO there. © Joshua A. Bickel/Dispatch Three Circleville residents who are members of the Roundtown UFO Society(RUFOS -- from left, Jon Fry, Pete Hartinger and Cameron Jones -- visit what used to be the Pickaway County farm of Bruce Stevenson, who said that in 1948 he saw a UFO there.

3. Pickaway County, 1958
Dispatch reporter Holly Zachariah documented RUFOS director Pete Hartinger's close encounter that he said took place on Feb. 27, 1958, when he was 17 and on his way to the Pickaway County Fairgrounds. Hartinger told The Dispatch about the incident last year following the U.S. government's acknowledgment and reports. Hartinger said he saw a saucer-shaped object floating over the local feed mill near Circleville before drifting out of sight.

Then something else returned.

"A totally different object came back. It was a reddish-orange object, a circle just like the setting sun. It stopped and hovered in midair … and the top half folded down onto itself," said Hartinger, who is now in his 80s.

The occurrence has stuck with Hartinger his entire life and led him to found RUFOS.

4. South Bloomfield, 2006
In March 2006, a member of RUFOS spotted "slow-moving, hovering lights" on the commute to work. Michael Moore, the member who submitted the sighting, said that the lights traveled low and hovered above a gas station in South Bloomfield, a village in Pickaway County located about 20 miles south of Columbus, before jetting northeast.

"I pulled into Speedway since I needed gas and when I got out of my car I saw it hovering almost directly overhead," Moore wrote in a full account on the RUFOS website.

"The lights were so bright that the glare prevented me from seeing an actual shape of the object. To describe what I saw on the bottom of the craft between the lights, I want to compare the gray dull metallic-looking plates to skid plates," Moore wrote.

Moore said he only got a glimpse of what he said was the underbelly of the craft, before the UFO shot off into the sky.

5. Canal Winchester, Circleville, 2019
Two more interesting encounters occurred in June 2019 and November 2019 – with the same witness for both incidents seeing a similar UFO or light.

The November sighting occurred around 4 a.m. on Nov. 15, when the witness told RUFOS he saw an object in the sky near Marcy's Diner in Canal Winchester. It appeared to him as a "white light and oval in shape ... it was heading east" the account reads. The witness said it was in view for less than five seconds before disappearing.

On June 13, 2019 the same witness said he saw a similar object that was also oval shaped and white near the intersection of Routes 674 and 22. The witness stated that he saw the object nearly land – but emit no noise at all – on Route 674 before disappearing. The sighting occurred around 3 a.m.

[email protected]

@JosephDandronMI

This article originally appeared on The Columbus Dispatch: The O-Files: Here are five UFO or alien sightings reported in Ohio

Last edited by a moderator:
The O-Files: Here are five UFO or alien sightings reported in Ohio
1. Portage County, 1966
On April 17, 1966, two Portage County Sheriff's deputies stopped to investigate an abandoned car about 5 a.m. near Ravenna, Ohio, about 144 miles northeast of Columbus.
According to a report from The Beaver County Times in western Pennsylvania, the two deputies saw a UFO come up from behind some trees and chased the flying saucer from Ohio across the state line into Pennsylvania during an 86-mile chase that at times reached 100 mph. ...

For more on the 1966 Portage UFO chase see:

Portage County, Ohio UFO Chase (April 1966)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/portage-county-ohio-ufo-chase-april-1966.67408/

'Weird Science Fantasy'; 1954 'FLYING SAUCER REPORT'

Rather than start a separate thread, I shall presume this fits in here, as it is actually a media commentary, of sorts (not certain about this though).

I have, at long last, located an online copy of this 1954 'SPECIAL ISSUE', which has duly been converted to a .pdf file and uploaded to my web site:

www.jceaston.com/Weird_Science-Fantasy_026.pdf

It's a fabulous snapshot and although the pictures are wonderfully unique, it does seem that almost 70 years later, the song would appear to somewhat remain the same!

Resize_20220629_132512_2551.jpg

Resize_20220629_132512_2187.jpg

Fascinating stuff! One could go through the cases to give the modern interpretation, but that would detract somewhat from the artistic merit of this Golden Age comic. For instance, the very first case (a Comet crash in Calcutta) was the result of metal fatigue, not a mid-air collision with a UFO. (It also happened in 1953, not 1952).

But that is a lot of work, and only worth doing if there is a demand for it.

Haven't seen this UFO sighting here from 1975 in North Bergen, NJ, by George O'Barski, which Budd Hopkins investigated:

1656609351116.png

George O’Barski was driving home from work one night, and his usual shortcut took him through North Hudson Park. He noticed a lot of static coming over his car radio, and the station began to fade out. He slowed the car while he tried to adjust the radio, and then he heard a droning sound, similar to a refrigerator’s hum. He saw a large bright object fly past, behind a row of trees, going in the same direction he was. The object stopped and hovered about 10 feet off the ground. O’Barski’s friend Budd Hopkins later wrote up the story for THE VILLAGE VOICE and gave this description:

“The UFO was about 30 feet in diameter, flat on the bottom, with vertical sides and a domed top. Its maximum height was about eight feet. It was surrounded with regularly spaced vertical windows, about a foot and a half wide and an equal distance apart. The object itself was dark, but intense light shone from the windows, illuminating the ground nearby.”
George O’Barski saw a vertical door open on one side of the UFO, and about 10 figures came down some kind of ladder or stairs. They were tiny, about 3½ feet tall, wearing some kind of helmet and light-colored coveralls. Each carried a bag and a little spoon or shovel. They quickly dug in the soil, filling their bags with dirt. The whole thing happened very fast, as though they had planned exactly what to do and wasted no time about it. In less than four minutes they were back inside their craft, which then flew off to the north. O’Barski had continued driving slowly in his car while he watched all this, and was 60 feet away at the closest point.

https://www.jimmoseley.com/2014/04/the-night-the-ufos-didnt-land-in-north-hudson-park/

sounds like one of those that gets lost in lists most of the time. No tangible evidence, and the story is a bit... meh. But still... interesting.

sounds like one of those that gets lost in lists most of the time. No tangible evidence, and the story is a bit... meh. But still... interesting.
Sorry I posted it, guess you didn't read about the broken glass window, etc.
Won't post any more vintage ufo stories.

hunh? I was just saying that I suspect that's why it's not one of the famous cases.
Well here in NJ it is still brought up periodically, believe it or not.
There are many odd cases like this that are not covered internationally.
Personally, I find the old sightings much more interesting than the current ones.

Well here in NJ it is still brought up periodically, believe it or not.
There are many odd cases like this that are not covered internationally.
Personally, I find the old sightings much more interesting than the current ones.
it's certainly something to ponder that's for sure. The full article.. is.. mostly not about Mr. Barski though. the shattered glass wasn't even the same sighting, same area on a different day and different observer. But three vaguely similar incidents in a short time period is interesting.

it's certainly something to ponder that's for sure. The full article.. is.. mostly not about Mr. Barski though. the shattered glass wasn't even the same sighting, same area on a different day and different observer. But three vaguely similar incidents in a short time period is interesting.
I think that back in the 1970s and before, these cases weren't researched very well, today the media would be all over them!
There would be hundreds of photos and interviews with everyone involved for days. We like to see details! LOL

Jenny Randles mentioned this historic incident in her book 'Alien Contacts and Abductions', which occurred many years before Betty & Barney Hill's experience, and took place in 1896, in Lodi, California:

THREE STRANGE VISITORS​

Who Possibly Came From the Planet Mars​

Seen on a Country Road by Colonel H.G. Shaw and a Companion​

They Boarded the Airship​

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/airship/25nov1896-lodi-california.htm

"Were it not for the fact that I was not alone when I witnessed the strange sight I would never have mentioned it at all. Wednesday afternoon I went out to Lodi and Lockeford in company with Camille Spooner, a young man recently arrived from Nevada. I went to the places mentioned in quest of material to form an exhibit to represent this county at the Fresno Citrus Fair. We left Lodi on the return trip, I should judge, shortly before 6 o'clock, and we were jogging along quietly when the horse stopped suddenly and gave a snort of terror."

"Looking up we beheld three strange beings. They resembled humans in many respects, but still they were not like anything I had ever seen. They were nearly or quite seven feet high and very slender. We were both somewhat startled, as you may readily imagine, and the first impulse was to drive on. The horse, however, refused to budge, and when we saw that we were being regarded more with an air of curiosity than anything else, we concluded to get out and investigate. I walked up to where the strange looking persons were and addressed them. I asked where they were from. They seemed not to understand me, but began – well, "warbling" expresses it better than talking. Their remarks, if such you would call them, were addressed to each other, and sounded like a monotonous chant, inclined to be guttural. I saw it was no use to attempt a conversation, so I satisfied myself with watching and examining them. They seemed to take great interest in ourselves, the horse and buggy, and scrutinized everything very carefully."

And a list of strange sightings in that time period, many right before the Lodi experience:

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/airship/index.htm

Last edited:
Jenny Randles mentioned this historic incident in her book 'Alien Contacts and Abductions', which occurred many years before Betty & Barney Hill's experience, and took place in 1896, in Lodi, California:

THREE STRANGE VISITORS​

Who Possibly Came From the Planet Mars​

Seen on a Country Road by Colonel H.G. Shaw and a Companion​

They Boarded the Airship​

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/airship/25nov1896-lodi-california.htm

"Were it not for the fact that I was not alone when I witnessed the strange sight I would never have mentioned it at all. Wednesday afternoon I went out to Lodi and Lockeford in company with Camille Spooner, a young man recently arrived from Nevada. I went to the places mentioned in quest of material to form an exhibit to represent this county at the Fresno Citrus Fair. We left Lodi on the return trip, I should judge, shortly before 6 o'clock, and we were jogging along quietly when the horse stopped suddenly and gave a snort of terror."

"Looking up we beheld three strange beings. They resembled humans in many respects, but still they were not like anything I had ever seen. They were nearly or quite seven feet high and very slender. We were both somewhat startled, as you may readily imagine, and the first impulse was to drive on. The horse, however, refused to budge, and when we saw that we were being regarded more with an air of curiosity than anything else, we concluded to get out and investigate. I walked up to where the strange looking persons were and addressed them. I asked where they were from. They seemed not to understand me, but began – well, "warbling" expresses it better than talking. Their remarks, if such you would call them, were addressed to each other, and sounded like a monotonous chant, inclined to be guttural. I saw it was no use to attempt a conversation, so I satisfied myself with watching and examining them. They seemed to take great interest in ourselves, the horse and buggy, and scrutinized everything very carefully."

And a list of strange sightings in that time period, many right before the Lodi experience:

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/airship/index.htm
Fascinating account, John Keel delved into this period of time. Why oh why does Kenneth Arnold with his rather boring, long distance 1947 sighting get so much adulation when we have such a wealth of reports pre-dating WW2

Fascinating account, John Keel delved into this period of time. Why oh why does Kenneth Arnold with his rather boring, long distance 1947 sighting get so much adulation when we have such a wealth of reports pre-dating WW2
Exactly what I'm always wondering - Arnold was the one to set off 'Fate Magazine', among others, with a fury of articles and reports that didn't stop for years. Of course, the fact that he was a very good-looking, articulate businessman helped, I'm sure.
And by the way, I had never heard of Colonel Shaw, or any of these 1896 sightings, it just happened to be mentioned on our History tv channel this afternoon, and I looked it up out of curiosity.
Robert Taylor's experience in Scotland in 1979 is the one that is the most interesting!

Last edited:
https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-27111969-ufo-sightings-stoke-trent

1969 ATV news report about sightings in Stoke 2 years earlier (2 September 1967). Features Roger Stanway and Tony Pace of BUFORA.

Here's how NICAP summarised the report which involved a complicated 'flap' over several nights:

Aug 30, 1967; Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, England
10:00-10:30 p.m. LT (6:00-6:30 p.m. EDT). Multiple independent witnesses had a complex series of UFO sightings. One witness gave a detailed description of an object first seen with unaided eye, then through a telescope. It moved vertically and horizontally, changing colors from white to red, orange, and green. Through the telescope it was seen as a disc with dome, a row of "ports" around its base, apparently rotating slowly. The object glowed a bright orange, but changed to brilliant white or silvery while hovering (color change/motion correlation). At one point the object emitted a light beam to the ground. Other sightings in the area featured "bright" or "brilliant," often red-orange objects that alternately hovered and moved around. (Stanway and Pace, 1968, pp. 29-34.)

Aug 31 1967; Bentilee, Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, England
9:30 p.m. LT (5:30 p.m. EDT). Two young women reported watching a large, silvery-white object shaped like an inverted soup bowl (dome-shaped) that approached and hovered over a high school for about 5 minutes. The object had body lights of various colors and evenly-spaced circles of light like portholes around the lower part. A loud "whooshing" wind-like sound was heard. At each side and above the altitude of the object were shiny flat discs that appeared to be revolving. As the larger object moved away with a rocking motion, its body lights went off, leaving a bright orange and a fainter white light. Dull moonlight and rainy conditions. (Stanway and Pace, 1968, pp. 10, 34-35.)

Sept 2, 1967; Bentilee, Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, England
9:15 p.m. LT (5:15 p.m. EDT). Several witnesses watched an orange disc with bright red glowing dome as it flew low overhead and apparently landed in a field about 400 yards away. No sound was heard, but one witness felt "wind" as it passed overhead. A fiery glow was seen in the field at the apparent landing site. Police were called, but the light disappeared. Later police and others saw a luminous object rise from the field, hover, then disappear "in a fraction of a second." A complex case with many facets. (Stanway and Pace, 1968, pp. 11,13, 40-43; witness interview transcripts 46i-46xii.)

Back