• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

20210410_185812.jpg
20210410_185816.jpg
20210410_185821.jpg
20210410_185825.jpg

An Indian gang who committed robberies aided by their trained monkeys have been arrested following a rickshaw stick-up.
Criminal gang who trained monkeys to steal cash from unsuspecting victims arrested

Police in India have arrested two men for training monkeys to steal cash and other items of value.

The Indian capital New Delhi has long had a problem with marauding gangs of monkeys attacking members of the public for food and more recently for valuables.

Now it has emerged that at least one criminal gang has been exploiting the mischievous little creatures and using them in street robberies.

In March, a local lawyer was robbed of 6,000 rupees (about £60) in the south of the city by three men who used monkeys to intimidate him as he was travelling in a rickshaw. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/criminal-gang-who-trained-monkeys-23901104

We had a young adult man here back in the late eighties who used to rob houses and bring along his pit bull for protection. Then he had the nerve to sue a home owner when the home owners German Shepard killed the pit bull.

This guy thinks the fox is being friendly. Call me a skeptical, but I'm thinking rabies...

I was living for a short time in a room on a old grange house, there was a big pond in the grounds that i took to looking after, cleaning the pumps/filters, feeding the fish etc, i would go out first thing with my coffee to feed the fish and sit by the pond and a juvenile fox would often come up to me and sit by my feet, it wanted to eat the fish but i made sure the net was secure over the pond, so i would take it out a biscuit every morning and it would delicately take it from my hand.

At least one South African poacher was stomped to death by elephants as he and two accomplices fled from rangers.
Suspected poacher killed by elephants at South African national park

A suspected poacher was killed by a herd of breeding elephants that he encountered while fleeing from park rangers, according to South African officials.

Three people attempted to run away after they were spotted by rangers at the Kruger National Park, one of Africa's largest game reserves, on Saturday, South African National Parks officials said. ...

Rangers later discovered the man "badly trampled" and dead from his injuries. ...

Investigators say they are still searching for the third suspect, who continued to flee after he suffered an injury to the eye. ...

FULL STORY: https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...south-african-national-park/story?id=77151086

A reading of the full article at the link provided may assist.

maximus otter
The film was supposedly shot in England so rabies would be extremely unlikely.

I think you are right there.

The animal is clear eyed and alert, even if it is displaying unusual behaviour.

Rabid animals are usually drooling, shaking, and generally looking in rough condition.

I bet they were shell shocked.

A woman travelling with her daughter on a motorway in Florida suffered a gashed forehead when a turtle smashed through the windscreen of their car.

The 71-year-old’s daughter pulled over and got help from another motorist after the incident on Interstate 95, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

According to a 911 recording, both were surprised by what they found.

“There is a turtle in there,” the man can be overheard saying.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40272452.html

From what I've read about wolverine; they're one animal that I would not particularly want to come into contact with. Here in Britain we have the weasel and stoat.
View attachment 37308

We also have the Patterdale terrier. Horrifying little balls of anger that will bite ANYONE and ANYTHING if they see fit. Wolverines, yes, maybe, but you're not going to find one tied up outside the local supermarket.

I bet they were shell shocked.

A woman travelling with her daughter on a motorway in Florida suffered a gashed forehead when a turtle smashed through the windscreen of their car.

The 71-year-old’s daughter pulled over and got help from another motorist after the incident on Interstate 95, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

According to a 911 recording, both were surprised by what they found.

“There is a turtle in there,” the man can be overheard saying.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40272452.html
I saw this in another thread, too. Seems like it would also fit in the "Out of Place Animals" thread. Since when do turtles fly? If it gets adopted, it should be named Icarus.

I saw this in another thread, too. Seems like it would also fit in the "Out of Place Animals" thread. Since when do turtles fly? If it gets adopted, it should be named Icarus.
In this latest account, the turtle was said to have been kicked up from another vehicle. I'm still trying to figure out what this means and how it could occur without decimating the turtle (it apparently lived through both the flying and the crashing parts).

In this latest account, the turtle was said to have been kicked up from another vehicle. I'm still trying to figure out what this means and how it could occur without decimating the turtle (it apparently lived through both the flying and the crashing parts).

Only Touché Turtle could have survived that.

Touchedum.jpg

I've seen this happen when a car's tire just catches the edge of the turtle's shell and flips it into the air. Think tiddlywinks.

That's cheating.

Cheating is a sure sign of relative intelligence! :nods:
Gravity Gives These Birds the Drop on Tough-to-Crack Foods

Some species have figured out that, when released from the right height onto a hard surface, even nuts or shellfish can make a (sort of) easy meal. ...

Bearded Vultures feed almost exclusively on bones, a diet made possible by their impressive digestive systems and impeccable accuracy in targeting bone-smashing surfaces. They are hands-down masters of this food-dropping behavior, but they’re not the only birds to employ the tactic. ...

At least 23 other species including gulls, crows, and eagles take advantage of rocks and pavement to crack into nuts, mollusks, and other hard-shelled food. It’s a clever technique birds use to extract otherwise inaccessible calories, and one that involves more sophistication than might be apparent. ...

FULL STORY (With Videos): https://www.audubon.org/news/gravity-gives-these-birds-drop-tough-crack-foods

ETA: For more about this bird behavior see:

Birds Dropping Food Items To Get To The Tasty Bits Inside
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-items-to-get-to-the-tasty-bits-inside.28663/

Last edited:
Cheating is a sure sign of relative intelligence!
Hmm . . . This remark sheds light on your mysterious character . . .:sherlock:
(JK!!!)

Actually, I meant the turtle was cheating. Mastering flight just isn't the same as being tossed through the air by another.

This California woman's home and deck became a hangout for endangered California condors, who've made quite a mess.

CondorDamage.jpg
There are only about 200 California condors in the wild. About 10% landed on one woman's deck

There are an estimated 200 California condors living in the wild throughout central and southern California and approximately 15 to 20 of the endangered species spent the last few days on Cinda Mickols’ porch.

The birds, one of the largest flying birds in the world — their wing span can extend beyond 9 feet, showed up sometime over the weekend at the Tehachapi home, Mickols’ daughter [Seana Quintero] told The Chronicle. The rare raptors have been troublesome guests ever since. ...

The birds have ruined her spa cover, decorative flags, lawn ornaments, knocked over plants, scratched her wood and railings, and tore through anything plastic, Quintero said. And pooped everywhere. ...

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which runs the condor program, reached out over Twitter to offer advice. Mickols lives in historic condor habitat with natural food sources for the birds, the agency said.

“Unfortunately, they sometimes perceive houses and decks as suitable perch locations,” the agency said. “If this happens again, hazing to preclude them from causing damage and habituation is encouraged. This includes using methods that will not harm them such as water hoses, yelling, clapping, shouting or using other preventative measures such as scarecrow sprinklers.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/a...-about-200-California-condors-in-16155092.php

I am wondering what would happen if they walked out on to the deck. Are condor's dangerous? Would they attack the people?

The photo I posted shows them on the deck.

Condors are scavengers who eat carrion. They don't attack living animals. It wouldn't surprise me if they would get aggressive if you threatened their nest, but I don't recall ever hearing of a condor attacking a human.

Back