• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Bear sighting: it was crossing the old highway 37 (now I-69) between Bloomington and Martinsville. This was in the 1970s, and this was farmland, not forest. It has been frustrating to me to tell of my sighting, only to be told I am wrong because there are no bears in Indiana. :)

I had known weird people in Southern Indiana who had personal zoos, with wild animals, all completely illegal and poorly maintained. I think the bear escaped from one of these.

The manipulation of flora: I think it is sasquatch, not people, not weird wind, not racoons, etc. To claim otherwise, it seems to me, is to explain it away, and not explain it. If documented evidence, and not just conjecture, exists of a conventional explanation, I am unaware of it.

Bear sighting: it was crossing the old highway 37 (now I-69) between Bloomington and Martinsville. This was in the 1970s, and this was farmland, not forest. It has been frustrating to me to tell of my sighting, only to be told I am wrong because there are no bears in Indiana. :)

I had known weird people in Southern Indiana who had personal zoos, with wild animals, all completely illegal and poorly maintained. I think the bear escaped from one of these.

The manipulation of flora: I think it is sasquatch, not people, not weird wind, not racoons, etc. To claim otherwise, it seems to me, is to explain it away, and not explain it. If documented evidence, and not just conjecture, exists of a conventional explanation, I am unaware of it.
Thanks.....
I spent 6 years at IU Bloomington....1969-1975. Used to travel that highway all the time. Back in the day near Bloomington and Monroe Forest there were some wild areas...they certainly could have had bears. I too knew a few 'strange ' folk back in the day....none had zoo animals though.
Most of the small lean-to's or branch constructions always looked too small for a Sasquatch but 'anything is possible'.
Side note: In 1974 I spent that summer at home before returning to school, but my roomate and close friend spent some time in Martinsville ,IN with mutual friends ; one week that summer they had a ufo outbreak there and they all saw large orangeish globes of light flying around for several nights.

Last edited:
Thanks.....
I spent 6 years at IU Bloomington....1969-1975. Used to travel that highway all the time. Back in the day near Bloomington and Monroe Forest there were some wild areas...they certainly could have had bears. I too knew a few 'strange ' folk back in the day....none had zoo animals though.
Most of the small lean-to's or branch constructions always looked too small for a Sasquatch but 'anything is possible'.
Side note: In 1974 I spent that summer at home before returning to school, but my roomate and close friend spent some time in Martinsville ,IN with mutual friends ; one week that summer they had a ufo outbreak there and they all saw large orangeish globes of light flying around for several nights.
@dr wu – Our time at IUB overlapped. The weird manipulation to tops of small trees: I saw this east of Lake Griffy north of Griffy creek, heading to Bethel Lane; also in Deam Wilderness. BTW, Deam had the biggest timber rattlesnakes I have ever seen. Also the healthiest poison ivy.

I vaguely remember the Martinsville UFO outbreak. I never saw a thing!

There's an article on The Guardian website today about a three part mini-series regarding Sasquatch/Bigfoot that's coming to Hulu on 20th April (UK date to be announced).

It turns out though that it's more about the backwoods cannabis growing industry. I'm not sure that this is the best thread to post this in (if not then I'd be grateful if the mods could move it), but it is geographically relevant and apparently the film-maker did start by listening to the Sasquatch Chronicles podcast and became intrigued by the killings that had been ascribed to the hominid.

‘I am now truly afraid of the woods’: behind the hunt for Sasquatch

Audiences who hit play on Joshua Rofé’s new documentary miniseries Sasquatch in the expectation that someone’s finally gotten some straight answers about that elusive hirsute bastard will be sorely disappointed. “I wasn’t hung up on whether I believe in Bigfoot or whether I buy the details of this story. All of that became secondary and fell by the wayside,” Rofé tells the Guardian via Zoom. “I was struck by the visceral fear present in all these encounter stories. I was taken by how afraid these people were, which was totally authentic.”

The rest of the article can be found here.

Growers have been using Bigfoot as a deterrent for years in the same way moonshiners have done in the Appalachians. There was a suggestion that the Fred Beck / Ape Canyon story was a ruse to keep people away from a gold seam, but that's since been discredited seeing as the prospectors never returned to the mountain, and the family surrendered all rights to the area some years later.

It all sounds a bit Scooby Doo but don't underestimate the fear factor.

That idea could backfire so badly.

Instead of having locals who know when to turn a blind eye, you would get in city weirdos who peep and pry.

The point is, though, that many of these places are unimaginably remote: there are very few locals, let alone passing city dwellers. Example - the location in which Ron Morehead & co recorded the Sierra vocalisations is accessible only after travelling 20 plus miles on a logging road, then two days on horseback (or three to four on foot.) It's sixty or so miles from anywhere.

A little Bigfoot levity found on Reddit today:

bigfootboard.jpg

...the location in which Ron Morehead & co recorded the Sierra vocalisations...

Probably should read "claimed to have recorded the Sierra vocalisations..."

They may well have recorded them in their basement.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/bigfoot-in-mouth-bigfoot-language/

Good article. Even before reading it I have always been very suspicious of these recordings.

Infinitely more interesting to me are the strange "clicking" and quasi-metallic sounds that Morehead and co. reported hearing (but not recording) in the Sierras. Such weird clicks...robotic...metallic sounds are common occurences during Bigfoot sightings, UFO sightings, poltergeist activity...DMT trips...Keel's car doors clunking shut...

These things, to me, mean something is happening...

Last edited:
Cop relates how he was chased by a rock and log hurling, aggressive sasquatch as a child.
That was superb, Lordmongrove, I really enjoyed it and thought it was very interesting. There was so much stress in his voice, and I am familiar (from listening to very stressed people) with the way he sounded so relieved at the end of the programme, for basically getting it off his chest and into the air.

I had (have?) reservations at the start of his tale, because of the fact it took place such a long time ago, and he was only 11 years old. Because we all know that memory is quite fallible, and what he was describing was really quite detailed and specific, and he spoke about the time that had passed during it. Which for me would be very hard to put my finger on with things that happened last week, let alone when I was 11. But having said that I haven't been chased by a sasquatch! So I imagine that any really stressful situation would fix itself in your mind in a different way, to something quite mundane. (I did feel slightly sceptical that he could have been gone for so long without his parents going completely spare.. he mentioned hours. But perhaps that is slightly a misremembering due to the terror he felt? )

His tone of voice made it very convincing to me that he is telling the truth of what he experienced - I had no impression that he was 'making it up'. And besides, he has kept the story basically to himself for all this time. So he may have retold it to himself, but he hasn't been retelling it out loud to other people (I don't know what impact that has on memory and 'the story' but I imagine it has some). Besides, he is in law enforcement and such unorthodox views probably wouldn't be very well received now, so that sort of added to my impression that he was very relieved to have found this chap to talk to about his experience, someone who would understand and not take the mickey or try to explain his experience away.

I was also impressed by his adamance that it was a real creature and his dismissal of any idea that such things could be (as he put it) an 'interdimensional being'. And the real urgency and concern in his voice when he spoke of how people keen to go out and look for such things, should take the danger seriously and arm themselves.

I will be listening to more from that channel! And I will be intrigued to hear the presenter's own story, as it was mentioned that he himself had an encounter. Thank you!!

[p.s. - I have spent the afternoon listening to the two 'Best of Sasquatch Chronicles' episodes and can highly recommend them too - similarly earnest tales, and again you can hear the stress and fear in their voices as they recall their terrifying and bemusing experiences, and try to make any sense of them. I know one might say 'well you still can't judge the Reality behind whatever they're saying' even if they are telling their own truth. That is to say, you don't know what stuff was going on in their lives, or whether they'd been drinking, or have unusual things going on in their brain, or whatever, that might cause them to see and believe things that weren't 'real'. But I do know that if you assume they are straightforward people, and as sobre and compos mentis as you might be on a good day, then you can only really infer that they are telling the truth. Which is a bit of a mad prospect to have to get to grips with?!!]

Last edited:
The point is, though, that many of these places are unimaginably remote: there are very few locals, let alone passing city dwellers. Example - the location in which Ron Morehead & co recorded the Sierra vocalisations is accessible only after travelling 20 plus miles on a logging road, then two days on horseback (or three to four on foot.) It's sixty or so miles from anywhere.
A MAJOR plot point in Sasquatch (Duplass bros/Rofe) is that the Northern California remote mountainous area is dangerous because of marijuana farming and drug activity and now, even after legalizing it to a constrained degree has made things worse, more violent than ever. Clearly, people go missing and get offed rather regularly not because Sasquatch is attacking but because people are defending their cash crops and dealing in big bucks. So, even though the Scooby Doo twist seems weird in this age of more fearless paranormal investigators, the threat is very serious.

How about this: There were sasquatch, but the illegal backwoods drug people shot them all.

/ Bigfoot was getting high as a kite

Why is this so?

Allegedly the US has many police.

(But maybe cracking down on growers generates a lot of paperwork...)

Why is this so?

I guess most marijuana growers are in country or wilderness areas. These areas are the ones understaffed by local and state police. Plus they may have different priorities.

Why is this so?

Not sure what you're referring to in particular.
The understated premise presented in this documentary about the increase in violence is that the regulated market of medical/recreational marijuana has been badly managed. Therefore, the value of the product for the black market has skyrocketed (I'm not entirely clear why but probably because of the ratcheting down on regulated production and the huge increase in demand). The police are entirely ill-equipt to deal with the illicit growing, marketing, and the resulting accessory crimes (like homicides). In the past, the federal "war-on-drugs" has funded specific efforts to destroy the crops and catch the kingpins. They aren't doing that anymore from what I understand. I think it's really very complicated. And off-topic.

What do you all think about the theory of Bigfoot being interdimensional?

Explains why we don't find any poo/dead ones.

Many people who have had sightings have experienced strange effects similar to UFO encounters , missing time, strange lights ect.

Many people who have had sightings have experienced strange effects similar to UFO encounters , missing time, strange lights ect.
What's the evidence that interdimensional beings don't poo or die? Or that they exist? This seems to belong to that notion of interdimensionality that is basically a sciencey sounding version of being spiritual.

There's little evidence for an unlikely beast? Perhaps that's because they're actually this other type of thing for which there is even less evidence! Having to compound unprovable ideas like this just to make sense of the phenomenon seems to make it more likely that there is no bigfoot, and what evidence exists is misidentified or hoaxed.

Having said that, every culture seems to have beings of a more or less mystical nature hanging around in the wilderness. That's the phenomenon I suppose, even if that belief is just a strange cultural need we humans have.

If you're interested, so much of this turns up on Sasquatch Chronicles. (I have become a total SC addict.) I can see many parallels with fairy and poltergeist reports as well (and Jenny Randles' 'Oz effect' frequently turns up, though I've not heard anyone call it that on the podcast yet). I have just bought this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0882N61XN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'Where the footprints end - high strangeness and the bigfoot phenomenon' by Cutchin and Renner, which examines the connections. So can recommend you that too!

An Oklahoma lawmaker has announced a $3,000,000 bounty for the capture of an unharmed Bigfoot. This contest is apparently limited to the southeastern portion of the state where there have been alleged Bigfoot sightings for years.
Bigfoot Bounty of $3 Million Announced by Oklahoma Lawmaker

An Oklahoma state representative has announced a $3 million bounty for anyone who is able to safely capture the creature known as Bigfoot. ...

State Representative Justin Humphrey announced the bounty during a special presentation on the Oklahoma Senate floor on Wednesday.

"Members, I am really excited today, I'm really pumped," Humphrey said. "It turns out there is a guy in the state who has got the same mind as I do."

Humphrey said that between him and the unnamed man they "have started what may be the biggest promotion in the state of Oklahoma ever." ...

"We're gonna offer $3 million, we raised the bounty today, $3 million for a live capture of unharmed Bigfoot."

Humphrey said that a film crew will be documenting attempts to find the mythical ape-like creature over a 6-month period. Fox 25 reported that the tentative airdate for the series is January 2022.

Humphrey insisted the search was not a hunt, and that there was no desire for the creature to be harmed. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/b...ion-announced-by-oklahoma-lawmaker/ar-AAKr9Cu

It makes sense as a real flesh and blood animal. Over in Asia there have been cases where DNA has fallen into the hands of scientists.

It is a very big leap from "The surprising absence of the evidence we would expect to find," to "Therefore the explanation must be found in an entire new branch of physics."

A far simpler explanation for the absence of poo is the non existence of Bigfoot.

Another simple explanation is that the forest is a big place, and a poo is a small and transient thing (it rots away) — and the Bigfoot may even bury its faeces. Or, for all we know, Bigfoot poo could look very similar to deer or bear poo and therefore have gone unnoticed.

As for the absence of bodies, that could be explained by the activity of scavengers; or simply by the "needle in a haystack" aspect of looking for the bodies of a secretive species in a large forested area; or even by Bigfoot burying or otherwise disposing of dead relatives.

A far simpler explanation for the absence of poo is the non existence of Bigfoot.
That's very true.

But at the same time lots of people do see something. (Like lots of people say they see ghosts or ABCs). So to say 'no poo = no bigfoot' is true, and very rational, but it's kind of dodging an explanation (unless the explanation is 'all the people are making it all up / are mistaken'). So the explanation isn't really any easier if there is no physical bigfoot. Because it needs an explanation that isn't about things that are easy to do experiments on (even if that's why people make it up / get mistaken). Don't you think? :)

Back