• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Do toddlers see ghosts until about the age of a year or so?

It has been noted that some toddlers have been seen pointing to empty space in their bedrooms.

It has been noted that some toddlers want inter react to empty space on cemeteries.

This behavior seems to end at a year.

One theory is that the brain is still trying to understand the physical world at that age, and the brain is playing tricks and all of this means nothing.

Maybe so.

Interesting ideas. I wonder if anyone has ever had occasion to observe twins, where one reacts to empty space and the other doesn't. Because if that were the case, it may disprove the 'sensitive up to a certain age' theory.

I used to work at Dudley Zoo ( and Castle) which is reported to be extremely haunted. I personally never witnessed anything supernatural. The animals however, especially the great apes would often seem to react to things that I couldn't see.

I remember going on a ghost tour around the castle that was put on for the keepers. The guide kept saying his usual script which included things like "and to this day staff still see....." and we would all shout "no we don't" it all got very panto in the end

I've never "seen" a ghost but... I used to do a bit of amateur ghost hunting in FL. We were in the New Port Richey Theater one night. As everyone was packing up in the lobby me and another person went to have one last look. I know we were the only two people in the theater itself - the rest as in the lobby. We both heard, clearly, boots walking around on the stage. It was as if several people wearing work boots were walking around on the wooden stage - almost as if they were cleaning up after a performance.

I have always wondered about that. It may have been noise bleeding through from the next door night club but... wow, it was 2am. New Port Richey is hardly the biggest party town at that time of night. So that seems unlikely. And me and the other person were in the balcony and could clearly see the stage and nobody was on it. Granted it could be someone behind the stage but as far as either of us know (We both walked backstage to look as quickly as we could) nobody was back there.

When my wife and I first got married and moved into our apartment, we were kinda poor.

My wife worked days, and I worked nights.

My wife claimed she saw a little girl walk the hallway in normal kids clothes, turned and looked at her and then vanish.

This only happened once while we were in this apartment.

I tried to find out who lived there before or if structure was built on a cemetery, but I could not.

So who was this little girl, a ghost, a time slip ?

Back in Liverpool i lived in a very haunted 1950s house that stood in the footprint of a bombed out victorian terrace (courtesy of the Luftwaffe.) too many oddiities to detail but scary as hell. the sound of someone breathing in your bedroom...and it isn't you..is difficult to remember without chills. it was this along with the blonde boy that would pop up in the middle of the night only to pop off again before your eyes that drove my first "proper" girlfriend to refuse a return visit leaving a libidinous me to seek all sorts of exciting venues to learn the ropes in.

Fast forward to the late eighties when I was a student nurse i earned extra dough looking after old folks in their own homes. I took a job, a week, looking after a very wealthy old gent who owned a large country pile in the grounds of Baynards Manor (which burned down years before) he resided in one of the large cottages in the grounds.

When i arrived, with a female colleague, we were relieving a married couple who were the permanent help. after we were given the tour the wife told us "dont be alarmed if strange things happen, this place is very haunted" but being young and foolish i thought this was a great lark.

I volunteered for the nights whilst the girl i was with did the days. I was given the old mans sons old room. this was not pleasant as he had died in a motorbike accident in the 1960s and the room had literally been left as a shrine. it had his cricket bat on the wall, his school photos and all his clothes and books just as he left them 20-odd years before. eek!

Things went south from the beginning. the first thing was someone banging on the heavy oak iron stud door at exactly 11.00pm on the first and second nights. no one there. This place is in the middle of nowhere and it was just unlikely some local japester would bother walking or driving there just for a laugh at our expense. Needless to say that happened EVERY night. this was loud enough to wake the day girl and i got to the point of waiting by that bloody door to catch whoever it was without success. the property had an enclosed courtyard that had formerly been a stable yard judging by the fixtures on the walls for bridles and such, this area was now the laundry/washing area and the bllody place would echo with horseshoes clattering about in the early hours of the morning it was so loud but would just stop dead when you opened the door.

by the third or fourth night BOTH of us were awake 24 hours a day as my colleague refused to stay in the house without me there to keep her company bacause the oddness happened in daylight and at night. I must admit we both started helping ourselves to the whiskey which was generously laid on for the staff...not that being half cut helped with the banging crashing, whispering, dead leaves being found all over the upstairs landing with no obvious entry point . Too weird.

by the end of the week i was pretty much half dead. we were literally counting the minutes until we were relieved. But the finel Sunday night, we were both in the drawing room watching TV when my colleague said "what the f++k is THAT" pointing at the window. Well THAT was a womans arm. Clearly visible against the dark curtains. it had a green dress sleeve to about mid bicep and two veru large garnet style rings on her long slender fingers. it was clearly there for about three seconds and visible to both of us. then it just seemed to fade into the curtain material. we were out of there so fast you couldnt see our arses for steam. we spent that night huddled in her bed for comfort until it was daylight.

years after i found out that the grounds are famously haunted. the old manor had belonged to Thomas Mores sister who brought his head back there from a spike on London bridge after Good king Henry chopped it off. I can add the outbuildings to the list.

This bit rings a bell with me -

the property had an enclosed courtyard that had formerly been a stable yard judging by the fixtures on the walls for bridles and such, this area was now the laundry/washing area and the bllody place would echo with horseshoes clattering about in the early hours of the morning it was so loud but would just stop dead when you opened the door.

When I worked in care homes an elderly gent told me he was kept awake at night by the sounds of horses stamping and snorting.

I told the supervisor as you have to mention these things in case it means the person's mental state is deteriorating. However, this bloke was bright as a button and only living there because of physical frailty.

The supervisor was taken aback. The chap's room was in the extension, built over the site of the old stables... o_O

Back in Liverpool i lived in a very haunted 1950s house that stood in the footprint of a bombed out victorian terrace (courtesy of the Luftwaffe.) too many oddiities to detail but scary as hell. the sound of someone breathing in your bedroom...and it isn't you..is difficult to remember without chills. it was this along with the blonde boy that would pop up in the middle of the night only to pop off again before your eyes that drove my first "proper" girlfriend to refuse a return visit leaving a libidinous me to seek all sorts of exciting venues to learn the ropes in.

Fast forward to the late eighties when I was a student nurse i earned extra dough looking after old folks in their own homes. I took a job, a week, looking after a very wealthy old gent who owned a large country pile in the grounds of Baynards Manor (which burned down years before) he resided in one of the large cottages in the grounds.

When i arrived, with a female colleague, we were relieving a married couple who were the permanent help. after we were given the tour the wife told us "dont be alarmed if strange things happen, this place is very haunted" but being young and foolish i thought this was a great lark.

I volunteered for the nights whilst the girl i was with did the days. I was given the old mans sons old room. this was not pleasant as he had died in a motorbike accident in the 1960s and the room had literally been left as a shrine. it had his cricket bat on the wall, his school photos and all his clothes and books just as he left them 20-odd years before. eek!

Things went south from the beginning. the first thing was someone banging on the heavy oak iron stud door at exactly 11.00pm on the first and second nights. no one there. This place is in the middle of nowhere and it was just unlikely some local japester would bother walking or driving there just for a laugh at our expense. Needless to say that happened EVERY night. this was loud enough to wake the day girl and i got to the point of waiting by that bloody door to catch whoever it was without success. the property had an enclosed courtyard that had formerly been a stable yard judging by the fixtures on the walls for bridles and such, this area was now the laundry/washing area and the bllody place would echo with horseshoes clattering about in the early hours of the morning it was so loud but would just stop dead when you opened the door.

by the third or fourth night BOTH of us were awake 24 hours a day as my colleague refused to stay in the house without me there to keep her company bacause the oddness happened in daylight and at night. I must admit we both started helping ourselves to the whiskey which was generously laid on for the staff...not that being half cut helped with the banging crashing, whispering, dead leaves being found all over the upstairs landing with no obvious entry point . Too weird.

by the end of the week i was pretty much half dead. we were literally counting the minutes until we were relieved. But the finel Sunday night, we were both in the drawing room watching TV when my colleague said "what the f++k is THAT" pointing at the window. Well THAT was a womans arm. Clearly visible against the dark curtains. it had a green dress sleeve to about mid bicep and two veru large garnet style rings on her long slender fingers. it was clearly there for about three seconds and visible to both of us. then it just seemed to fade into the curtain material. we were out of there so fast you couldnt see our arses for steam. we spent that night huddled in her bed for comfort until it was daylight.

years after i found out that the grounds are famously haunted. the old manor had belonged to Thomas Mores sister who brought his head back there from a spike on London bridge after Good king Henry chopped it off. I can add the outbuildings to the list.

Have you written this up anywhere else @Nick Smith ?
I'm sure I've read this before, could it have been an IHTM in Fortean Times?

This bit rings a bell with me -

When I worked in care homes an elderly gent told me he was kept awake at night by the sounds of horses stamping and snorting.

I told the supervisor as you have to mention these things in case it means the person's mental state is deteriorating. However, this bloke was bright as a button and only living there because of physical frailty.

The supervisor was taken aback. The chap's room was in the extension, built over the site of the old stables... o_O

I remember you talking about Hospital / care settings on FT back in the day. I’ve worked in Hospitals for years, some supposedly haunted..never a dicky bird except for my Angelic visit.

Always wanted to see one of them, those and the ones that stand over your bed peering at you.
I have heard personal first-person accounts of those. Three in particular stood out. I've subjected t'board to them on different threads.

Haven't had it myself apart from getting haunted in a Prague holiday apartment, which didn't scare me. I put it down to the local refreshments.

I have just managed to completely creep myself out. I summarised earlier in this thread how I used to live in a haunted house, all I knew was a woman had killed her three kids and committed suicide (which I found out when we moved, and explained a lot of the weirdness). Well, I was digging around online seeing if I could find out any more and came across this, which I think is talking about what happened in the house that I lived in for a year (although the estate is repeatedly and erroneously referred to as Sandy Hills instead of Sandy Hill).

What particularly gave me the chills is "There was a bad smell coming along the landing I walked to the front bedroom of the house and found the body of a female lying on her back on a double bed, the electric blanket was on and there was a stocking tied tightly around her neck."

This was the bedroom where I heard the inexplicable crying coming from! I've got goosebumps right now! :ghunt:

Last edited:
I have just managed to completely creep myself out. I summarised earlier in this thread how I used to live in a haunted house, all I knew was a woman had killed her three kids and committed suicide (which I found out when we moved, and explained a lot of the weirdness). Well, I was digging around online seeing if I could find out any more and came across this, which I think is talking about what happened in the house that I lived in for a year (although the estate is repeatedly and erroneously referred to as Sandy Hills instead of Sandy Hill).

What particularly gave me the chills is "There was a bad smell coming along the landing I walked to the front bedroom of the house and found the body of a female lying on her back on a double bed, the electric blanket was on and there was a stocking tied tightly around her neck."

This was the bedroom where I heard the inexplicable crying coming from! I've got goosebumps right now! :ghunt:
I want to live there!! Sounds incredible!!

Well after all these years of only semi believing, I can't actually believe it, not even now after a couple of days to reflect on what happened. During a couple of weeks of horrendous trauma on Tuesday morning I rushed into my bedroom to pick up some papers. There stood an elderly lady with a walking stick apparently looking at a photo on the wall. She turned, smiled at me for a couple of seconds and vanished. No one I knew that's for sure. The whole appearance lasted I would guess no more than 10 seconds. I had to sit on the bed to recover and asked her if she would come back to tell me why she was there, but I got no response. That afternoon the trauma ended. Was she trying to tell me that everything would work out ok? Who knows. I can now never honestly disbelieve people who say that they have witnessed the appearance of a ghost. How views can be shattered in an instance. Still find it difficult to actually comprehend.

Well after all these years of only semi believing, I can't actually believe it, not even now after a couple of days to reflect on what happened. During a couple of weeks of horrendous trauma on Tuesday morning I rushed into my bedroom to pick up some papers. There stood an elderly lady with a walking stick apparently looking at a photo on the wall. She turned, smiled at me for a couple of seconds and vanished. No one I knew that's for sure. The whole appearance lasted I would guess no more than 10 seconds. I had to sit on the bed to recover and asked her if she would come back to tell me why she was there, but I got no response. That afternoon the trauma ended. Was she trying to tell me that everything would work out ok? Who knows. I can now never honestly disbelieve people who say that they have witnessed the appearance of a ghost. How views can be shattered in an instance. Still find it difficult to actually comprehend.
That is amazing...had you always wished for a experience ?

How interesting, Pete. I don't want to treat you like some sort of anthropological specimen of course :) But you mention that you've been through a very stressful time. Do you think the experience was a consequence of all the stress? (And as an outsider I am drawn to two possible explanations, I'm sure there are more -, that the stress could cause your brain to visualise a comforting figure (a sort of subjective thing), or that the stress might cause your brain to work in a different way and so be receptive to seeing a Thing that was somehow already there (a more objective sort of explanation).
I take it you did not recognise the figure? And that it was a complete surprise, you weren't thinking about a particular old woman recently?

I can't imagine how weird it must have been. And I'm guessing you probably didn't need another thing like that to add to the whirlwind of thoughts already in your head?

you don't have to answer but I'm sure many people here would be interested in your thoughts and open to whatever you want to say.

I've always wanted to see a ghost but sadly never have.

However, I don't know if this counts but I did go on 3 official ghost hunts in the past and on one occasion a couple of us "smelt" a ghost.

It was down in the jail part of the Nottingham Court House where they housed the rapists and murderers.

My friend didn't smell anything but me and a few others certainly suddenly smelt a terrible putrid smell.

You may well have been smelling someone's er, "reaction" to a particularly good ghost hunt :)
The weird thing was that it was only a few of us in the group who smelt it.

The friend I was with didn't smell anything despite being next to me and didn't have a cold or anything.

She couldn't understand why me and a few others were smelling this horrendous smell and she wasn't.

I had and still have no explanation except some of us are more sensitive than others.

The weird thing was that it was only a few of us in the group who smelt it.

The friend I was with didn't smell anything despite being next to me and didn't have a cold or anything.

She couldn't understand why me and a few others were smelling this horrendous smell and she wasn't.

I had and still have no explanation except some of us are more sensitive than others.

I once went on a ghost walk in Dorchester.

Was ok...except the guy forgot to tell any ghost stories...or indeed actually talk about ghosts. Odd experience :D

Was the photo on the wall significant in any way?

That is amazing...had you always wished for a experience ?
How interesting, Pete. I don't want to treat you like some sort of anthropological specimen of course :) But you mention that you've been through a very stressful time. Do you think the experience was a consequence of all the stress? (And as an outsider I am drawn to two possible explanations, I'm sure there are more -, that the stress could cause your brain to visualise a comforting figure (a sort of subjective thing), or that the stress might cause your brain to work in a different way and so be receptive to seeing a Thing that was somehow already there (a more objective sort of explanation).
I take it you did not recognise the figure? And that it was a complete surprise, you weren't thinking about a particular old woman recently?

I can't imagine how weird it must have been. And I'm guessing you probably didn't need another thing like that to add to the whirlwind of thoughts already in your head?

you don't have to answer but I'm sure many people here would be interested in your thoughts and open to whatever you want to say.
To answer you both at the same time. I wouldn't say I wished for an experience S, but I have always been interested in the subject. I had no real reason to disbelieve, since my mother's previously reported experience of seeing the ghost of a little girl in a neighbour's house. I have also mentioned previously about my experience of seeing dark figures in the same room , but had put these on one side, as possible dream like, on waking/going to sleep.

E- quite happy to be treated as an anthropological specimen! It seems to be something of a coincidence that I saw this figure at the very end of an immensely stressful 2 weeks, although I had no idea that this would end that afternoon. As you say, I did not recognise the figure, so I can't say she was particularly comforting. Perhaps seeing my mother who occupied that room for a few weeks would have put a different aspect on the sighting( although having said that she was not always comforting, bless her). No she was a complete stranger. No I had not been thinking about an elderly lady recently.
After I had recovered from the initial shock, my thoughts were that, either she was waiting for me, and once she had seen me was quite happy to depart, or with my suddenly rushing into the room, I had disturbed her , and she was as surprised as I was.( Had I been sat in the bedroom contemplating how bad life can be sometimes and she had suddenly been conjured up, that would put perhaps a different interpretation on the experience) This of course pre supposes that ghosts(for want of a better word) have some idea of independent thinking, which I have always dismissed as unlikely.
Whenever this subject has arisen my view has always been that what people see is in effect an image of the past. Not quite a time slip. So perhaps what I saw was a bit of history, if you like. The house is the best part of 120 years old, so the chances are that an elderly lady lived there (and possibly died in that room) and what I saw was an image of what she did in life ie look at say a photo of her marriage day on the wall (which she appeared to be doing to my marriage photo) and turn and smile at her husband.
To be honest I've still not recovered from the past couple of weeks so other explanations might occur, but would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

Yes it is the photo of me and my deceased wife on our wedding day.
I have read accounts where an unrecognised apparition was later identified as an unmet ancestor, e.g. a great-great grandmother, when described either to people who knew them, or identified via an old photo. In my experience, when experiencing a ghost I haven't usually realised that something paranormal was happening as first, until either the sudden disappearance or the general oddness becomes apparent. Have you ever had a sense of presence in that room when no-one is there? From your description, I would think it is a one-time drop-in by someone significant to your family who you never met, based on no evidence whatsoever!

That fact she smiled at you would indicate, in my mind, that this was not just a stone-tape type ghost.

Back