• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

Little granddaughter has two iPads - one from school, to help with present distance learning and one recently bought as a Christmas present.

Dilemma... a 'Microsoft Teams' virtual classroom.

Should I 'pay attention in class'...

IMG_20210201_113509~2.jpg

Or is 'Roblox' more engaging...

IMG_20210201_113523~2.jpg

Three year old grandson loves red at the moment.
He insisted that his mother buy him a red heart shaped cushion which he was carrying around when he woke up when visiting on Sunday.
He also spotted the red spiderman teddy I knitted for him. Sadly when he pulled off the mask he said " That's not spiderman" and refused to have anything to do with it.

I have to confess to finding the girl's poetical introduction a little underwhelming, but otherwise I enjoyed watching this short piece. My brother and I were fortunate enough to grow up with the countryside on out doorstep (though not actually in it), but I still see parallels with these images of urban youth from half a generation before mine. I suppose, ultimately, the link is that a) it's outside, and b) that we made our own games, often from things we'd turned up around the place. A lot of children today spend a significant majority of their time inside.

Three year old grandson loves to draw and recently drew a cartoon character in the bath that you could recognise.
He also loves his Mario Tshirt and hates his mother washing it so she was amused he other day when he was outside in the backyard patio that he had taken off all his clothes so they didn't get dirty while he painted.
Luckily his aunt has now bought another tshirt online.

Little granddaughter has two iPads - one from school, to help with present distance learning and one recently bought as a Christmas present.

Dilemma... a 'Microsoft Teams' virtual classroom.

Should I 'pay attention in class'...

View attachment 35006

Or is 'Roblox' more engaging...

View attachment 35007

These pictures remind me of the tale my younger son likes to tell, of when he got caught reading under the desk in an English lesson; his teacher obviously thought he was on his phone at first, but still bawled him out for not paying attention properly. :-D

This news item describes school efforts to counteract kids' ignorance about basic elements of the natural / rural world.
'Miss, what's a duck?' Schools tackle nature-deprived kids

When school teacher Kim Leathley took her class on a trip to the local aquarium, she was asked an unusual question.

"Miss? What's that?" said a nine-year-old boy, pointing towards the waves, as they walked along Blackpool promenade.

It turned out he'd never seen the sea before.

A surprise, given the school is in the middle of Blackpool and only a few streets from the seafront.
Other teachers have had similar experiences over the years on school trips outside the city, she explains. A 10-year-old once asked what a duck was, while a pupil - spotting cows in the field - said: "Look at those horses."

"As a school, we're in a very built-up area in Blackpool," Kim explains. "We've had some very extreme examples of our children with nature." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57174581

Wow, I thought I was neglected as a child. When I started kindergarten, I didn't know my abc's very well and I didn't know how to cross the street with the lights. But I knew the difference between a horse and a cow. I didn't see an ocean until I was 27 years old, but I always knew what it was.

I remember taking care of a 5 year old boy for awhile until his mom could get a sitter. He said he wanted to meet Shaggy from Scooby Doo cartoons. I told him he couldn't meet Shaggy because he is just a cartoon. I could tell by his face that he was confused so I continued by saying, "He's not real. Have you ever seen a cartoon walking down the street?" he said, "No." I said, "And you never will."

Later that day, I over heard him repeating verbatim to one of his friends what I said. I don't think I sounded as sarcastic as he did. lol

I remember taking care of a 5 year old boy for awhile until his mom could get a sitter. He said he wanted to meet Shaggy from Scooby Doo cartoons. I told him he couldn't meet Shaggy because he is just a cartoon. I could tell by his face that he was confused so I continued by saying, "He's not real. Have you ever seen a cartoon walking down the street?" he said, "No." I said, "And you never will."

Geez, break it to us gently!

When I was very little, I had a toy farm, but I guess that's not the sort of thing kids have nowadays? Might help having one in inner city schools to identify animals?

I was told in one place that there were local people who had never seen the sea.

This was Plymouth.

I remember being really disappointed because people had always told me that the smell of the fresh salt air when you were visiting the ocean was amazing.

It stinks. It smells like fish. As a matter of fact, if someone served me a plate of fish and it smelled like that I would refuse to eat it.

I remember being really disappointed because people had always told me that the smell of the fresh salt air when you were visiting the ocean was amazing.

It stinks. It smells like fish. As a matter of fact, if someone served me a plate of fish and it smelled like that I would refuse to eat it.
I must say I have never smelled fish by the sea, even when visiting fishing ports abroad. But the smell that I did like, that I remember from my childhood, was that of the seaweed. But (I think from the incursion of Japanese seaweed, which has killed off most of the original British variety) that is rare these days.

Dreamkiller! :rollingw:

I was told in one place that there were local people who had never seen the sea.

This was Plymouth.
Were they the ones who'd been chained to the bed since birth?

This news item describes school efforts to counteract kids' ignorance about basic elements of the natural / rural world.

FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57174581

This has been a thing for a long time; I can't place the reference now (you never can when you need it, can you? It might have been mentioned by Ruth Goodman in the Wartime Farm TV show?), but I've definitely read/heard about child evacuees in WW2 arriving in the countryside and not knowing where milk or eggs came from etc.

I did a fair bit of work with young offenders in the community back in the day. They were from east coast towns on the Norfolk and Suffolk coast.

I would say the vast majority of them had never been to the nearest city- Norwich, in their lives. The city is about 30 minutes drive away.

The account of East end folk in the history of my village (Purtons Past...cant recall the author) is singular; they seem more like people from an uncontacted tribe than inhabitants from a big city.

Not knowing where milk came from would be quite minor compared.

This has been a thing for a long time; I can't place the reference now (you never can when you need it, can you? It might have been mentioned by Ruth Goodman in the Wartime Farm TV show?), but I've definitely read/heard about child evacuees in WW2 arriving in the countryside and not knowing where milk or eggs came from etc.
It reminds me of the Kersey time slip, where one of the cadets was a London lad and assumed that the ancient village with no electricity, TV, etc., and rotting carcasses in the butcher's shop was just how country people lived.

In the year 2000 my children's primary school got up a trip down to London to the Millenium Dome. It's two hours on the train, York to Kings Cross, but a largeish number of adults on that trip had never been to London, and some of them had never been south of Doncaster. My friend booked a holiday to Cornwall and I had to point to it on a map to show her where she was going...

And also reminds me of my time working on a dairy farm. We had a visitor - a cousin or something of the owners of the farm, a post grad student, who looked at my beautiful cows and asked 'and what age are they before they start giving milk?'

That seems a fair question to me.

Sorry, I should elaborate....a cow will start giving milk whenever she has had a calf. So any age from 18 months upwards (or younger if she escapes and gets in with a bull). The point being that it's not age, but having given birth, that leads them to lactate. Just like humans, or, indeed, any other mammal.

Yes, two factors. However I don't know how long it takes cows to become adults.

Sure, but that is the part I do know. When does it grow from calf to sexy cow?

Back