• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This is an odd one. Not too sure where to put it, so I’ve stuck on here. .

Mrs DT cooked a rather splendid Lasagne last night, and per the house rules it was my turn to wash the dishes and put them away, when I came across these 2 spoons.

I have never seen them before and oddly shaped table spoon has “Hospital Property” inscribed on it.

I asked Mrs DT and the kids and no-one has any idea where they came from. They certainly wasn’t there the last I washed up, which would have been Tuesday evening.

Strange.!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 9
This is an odd one. Not too sure where to put it, so I’ve stuck on here. .

Mrs DT cooked a rather splendid Lasagne last night, and per the house rules it was my turn to wash the dishes and put them away, when I came across these 2 spoons.

I have never seen them before and oddly shaped table spoon has “Hospital Property” inscribed on it.

I asked Mrs DT and the kids and no-one has any idea where they came from. They certainly wasn’t there the last I washed up, which would have been Tuesday evening.

Strange.!!!
Spoons are so weird. I have just had to check my historic teaspoon with "hospital property" stamped on it (now slightly worn) which came from a flat I was living in 20 years ago. It has survived 5 moves and doubling as a work and camping teaspoon. I am relieved to say that whoever's spoon has apported/mutated itself into your drawer, it isn't mine.

Spoons are so weird. I have just had to check my historic teaspoon with "hospital property" stamped on it (now slightly worn) which came from a flat I was living in 20 years ago. It has survived 5 moves and doubling as a work and camping teaspoon. I am relieved to say that whoever's spoon has apported/mutated itself into your drawer, it isn't mine.
I have idea where it came from, It’s so random.

Just before the first lockdown I threw all the old cutlery away, and bought a new set. Nothing fancy, or expensive just a practicable set. 6 knives, 6 forks etc., and then yesterday the mystery spoon with “hospital property” inscribed on it turned up in the draw.

We haven’t had any visitors for well over a year now, so no-one could have brought it into the house.

Very odd

About as minor a strangeness as a strangeness can be, I think, but I'd still be interested to get people's thoughts.

Relaxing in my bedroom. Hear a bang. Head outside. Discover in a spare room along the landing a shattered bottle in a cardboard carrier and rivulets of white wine drooling across the carpet.

No sign of anything having hit it. Cardboard carrier and other bottles untouched. The only explanation we can come up with is a fault in the bottle that chose that particular moment to become fatally compromising. No idea how long the bottles had been there, but unlikely to be more than a few days.

After cleanup, I now have a lingering, drily fruity tang, and I don't even like to drink (seeing what half a bottle of vodka did to my younger brother when we were teens put me off it for life and beyond).

About as minor a strangeness as a strangeness can be, I think, but I'd still be interested to get people's thoughts.

Relaxing in my bedroom. Hear a bang. Head outside. Discover in a spare room along the landing a shattered bottle in a cardboard carrier and rivulets of white wine drooling across the carpet.

No sign of anything having hit it. Cardboard carrier and other bottles untouched. The only explanation we can come up with is a fault in the bottle that chose that particular moment to become fatally compromising. No idea how long the bottles had been there, but unlikely to be more than a few days.

After cleanup, I now have a lingering, drily fruity tang, and I don't even like to drink (seeing what half a bottle of vodka did to my younger brother when we were teens put me off it for life and beyond).
Was the bottle full at the time? Sparkling?

This one is absolutely infuriating. Yesterday I was mounting some brackets on the side of a piece of equipment in my office. I had a medium sized screw gripped in my fist and reached out to put it on my desk. As I reached towards the desk, I could feel the screw in my clenched fist... and then I couldn't. By the time I opened my hand onto my desk, it was gone. I didn't feel it slip, didn't see it fall, and didn't hear it land. I performed various experiments with identical screws to see where it could have ended up, each time it was plainly obvious it was falling, and made an audible sound upon impact, and was pretty obvious when I looked for it. I've looked everywhere with a torch to see if I can find the damned thing, no sign of it. I thought it might have, in some inexplicable way, got caught in my clothing, but a search revealed nothing. Grrrr.

This one is absolutely infuriating. Yesterday I was mounting some brackets on the side of a piece of equipment in my office. I had a medium sized screw gripped in my fist and reached out to put it on my desk. As I reached towards the desk, I could feel the screw in my clenched fist... and then I couldn't. By the time I opened my hand onto my desk, it was gone. I didn't feel it slip, didn't see it fall, and didn't hear it land. I performed various experiments with identical screws to see where it could have ended up, each time it was plainly obvious it was falling, and made an audible sound upon impact, and was pretty obvious when I looked for it. I've looked everywhere with a torch to see if I can find the damned thing, no sign of it. I thought it might have, in some inexplicable way, got caught in my clothing, but a search revealed nothing. Grrrr.
Maybe you absorbed it into your hand, do magnets stick to you now?

Alcohol can cause bottles it contains to burst if there's a build-up of gasses in it. Was it an old bottle? Alternatively, maybe it was poorly packaged. Just be glad you weren't in the room with it!

Years ago I used to brew my own wine. Once I'd bottled several bottles but the fermenting process hadn't finished. In the middle of the night I heard several dull thuds. The bottles which were under the stairs had all exploded.

I'm not saying that it is that but it is a possibility.

Alcohol dependent poltergeist?

That or an aggressively teetotal one.

Was the bottle full at the time? Sparkling?

Yes on both counts. Dry, sparkling Italian wine.

Alcohol can cause bottles it contains to burst if there's a build-up of gasses in it. Was it an old bottle? Alternatively, maybe it was poorly packaged. Just be glad you weren't in the room with it!

I'm aware, but these are new bottles, likely only bought within the last few days, maybe even that day, so thought that highly unlikely. It was a pretty thick and sturdy-looking bottle, too, from our brief autopsy, and none of the others were affected which would tend to rule out something atmospheric (weather conditions, for reference: wet, windy and chilly) which is why I leaned toward the flaw theory. It could have been tiny, almost invisible, but growing over time, until...

And we all are! The wine drinkers of the household are even more glad they weren't partaking of its contents at the time.

@SimonBurchell: Well, that takes the classic Randomly Disappearing Object to a new level. Normally they wait until you've set them down, worked awhile, then turned to look for them again before melting into the ether. Hard to think of an explanation, not least given your thorough investigations, but it has long since ceased to amaze me where little things like that can end up. I swear they can defy physics at will. Worth checking a wider area, if not the whole office, if you haven't already.

Years ago I used to brew my own wine. Once I'd bottled several bottles but the fermenting process hadn't finished. In the middle of the night I heard several dull thuds. The bottles which were under the stairs had all exploded.

I'm not saying that it is that but it is a possibility.

Agreed. It's pretty cheap plonk - £3-5 is the buyer's usual range - so a batch that hadn't been fully fermented before bottling does seem plausible. If that's the case, good thing we only ended up with one.

And since it's likely someone will ask: no, none of the others have shattered. Yet.

Back