• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seriously Bad Taste Merchandise

I had a Carry on Doctor t-shirt with Harold Shipman on.
From the same store selling the Harold Shipman T-shirt:
1621537122671.png

Honestly, I'd be up for a generic serial killer shirt e.g. I'm only smiling 'cause they haven't found the bodies. They are generic, dark humour.
I have a problem, personally, when it references a case/killer whose victims families are still around.

I have seen someone wearing a John Wayne Gacy t-shirt in Sydney once and a 'Charlie Don't Surf' t-shirt which was an image of Charles Manson superimposed over a beach scene with palm trees. A play on the line from the movie 'Apocalypse Now'

Honestly, I'd be up for a generic serial killer shirt e.g. I'm only smiling 'cause they haven't found the bodies. They are generic, dark humour.
I have a problem, personally, when it references a case/killer whose victims families are still around.
I agree.

In the particular case of the Fred & Rose West, I have only vague memories of the news coverage at the time, but I recently read up on the crimes because I had been looking at the relevant thread in this forum.

It is hard to imagine a deeper level of depravity.

It wasn't "just" killing lots of people, but also the rape, prostitution, systematic physical and mental abuse, premeditated and sustained torture of some of the victims, and — shockingly — the context in which a family background normalised incest and sexual and physical abuse. Fred pimped out the young Rose and her own father was allegedly a client.

The murders, arrests, suicide of Fred, and conviction of Rose, were followed by a series of knock on effects for their own family members leading in some cases to suicide and in others to abuse passing on to the next generation.

And as for the victims and their families, it is unthinkable.

Generic jokes about serial killers are one thing, but I find it impossible to understand how anyone who knows the Fred & Rose West story could find even "dark" humour in it.

Remember Gwyneth Paltrow's Vagina Candles?

Here's something else... Probably meant to be funny(which it is) and not so much bad taste.
1621725534573.png

Just build a temporary wall around the whole lot and feckin' fill it in with concrete.
Then we only have to cope with the drips, i.e. "The Elephant Foot".

I'm tempted to buy these for my best friends 40th in August. She loves horror films so I reckon she might appreciate these!
Screenshot_20210522-134218_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wee Scots lassie , may I ask which website that is ? I'd like to browse it.
I don't know which website it was that's illustrated above, but ...

Those Kulturmeister card decks are available on Amazon.

I'm no prude, but do wonder whether this ring is entirely suitable (or indeed inspirational) for a girl's 13th birthday!

ring.JPG

do wonder whether this ring is entirely suitable (or indeed inspirational) for a girl's 13th birthday!
It's a classic cultural inappropriation.

Context, as ever, is everything.

This is being seen as being a neutral encouragement in Universal Standard English by a non-native speaker (I'll sterotypically-presume mainland Chinese, but quite possibly from elsewhere).

(Maybe it now *is* a neutral incentivising statement, and you @blessmycottonsocks and I are in an ever-diminishing constituency of sociolinguistic stick-in-the-muds)

It's a classic cultural inappropriation.

Context, as ever, is everything.

This is being seen as being a neutral encouragement in Universal Standard English by a non-native speaker (I'll sterotypically-presume mainland Chinese, but quite possibly from elsewhere).

(Maybe it now *is* a neutral incentivising statement, and you @blessmycottonsocks and I are in an ever-diminishing constituency of sociolinguistic stick-in-the-muds)
As ever, you put it so more eloquently than I ever could!

View attachment 41023

Yes.... indeed the ring design does appear to originate from mainland PRC.

But some westerners make bad mistakes in just as much (blind) good faith:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/people-get-bad-chinese-tattoos-and-this-is-what-some-of-the-worst-translated-into-english/

nintchdbpict000279073335.jpg

Think before you ink, or say ta-ta to a tattoo that adds anything meaningful to your misguided majesty....
Friend of a colleague had a tattoo on his neck of his name ‘Kyle’, whilst on holiday in Kavos.

When he looked at it in the mirror it didn’t look right. The tattooist had tattooed ‘KFC’ on his neck.

View attachment 41023

Yes.... indeed the ring design does appear to originate from mainland PRC.

But some westerners make bad mistakes in just as much (blind) good faith:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/people-get-bad-chinese-tattoos-and-this-is-what-some-of-the-worst-translated-into-english/

nintchdbpict000279073335.jpg

Think before you ink, or say ta-ta to a tattoo that adds anything meaningful to your misguided majesty....

It would be funnier if we knew what the people thought the phrase was.

Friend of a colleague had a tattoo on his neck of his name ‘Kyle’, whilst on holiday in Kavos.

When he looked at it in the mirror it didn’t look right. The tattooist had tattooed ‘KFC’ on his neck.
Why would you have your name tattooed on you? Is it so you don’t forget it? Or is it helpful when trying to pick up potential partners in noisy bars?

Back