• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

I'm always suspicious of reports like this linking something to climate change. There can't possibly be any historical record dating back beyond the set-up of the detection network, and as such, nothing to compare current measurements against.
Any climate change, whether that be the natural change that occurs over centuries, or any effect attributed by the activities of humans on the planet, needs a historical record that is accurate, and measured in the same way, in order to be studied.

Saying it is 'historically too cold' is just waffle and horse-feathers as research has proved that the artic has gone through periods of being forested area in the past.

God will strike you down with lightning for doubting that!

I'm always suspicious of reports like this linking something to climate change. There can't possibly be any historical record dating back beyond the set-up of the detection network, and as such, nothing to compare current measurements against.
Any climate change, whether that be the natural change that occurs over centuries, or any effect attributed to the activities of humans on the planet, needs a historical record that is accurate, and measured in the same way, in order to be studied.

Saying it is 'historically too cold' is just waffle and horse-feathers as research has proved that the arctic has gone through periods of being forested area in the past.
So in your opinion, what do we do then?

Since 2020 was the second hottest year, the UN said the earth my have reached that point of no return.

The UN said we are falling into the abyss with no foreseeable change.

I personally think the earth does its thing no matter what we try to do.

I do not believe humans can change anything.

Then again at the first of covid shut down, NASA said from space the air was so much cleaner.

It is a no win situation.

NASA says covid made for cleaner air, but the historic wildfires in the western U.S. dumped all kinds of stuff in the air.

I noticed that Al Roker weather man NBC NEWS claims that the extra ocean water from melting ice makes the earth’s mantle weigh more which in turns is causing the earth’ magnetic North Pole to travel a distance of 30 miles a year which is near Siberia now instead of previous Canada.

I not sure about this science theory !

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that Al Roker weather man NBC NEWS claims that the extra ocean water from melting ice makes the earth’s mantle weigh more which in turns is causing the earth’ magnetic North Pole to travel a distance of 30 miles a year which is near Siberia now instead of previous Canada. ...

I believe you're referring to recent news items about the relative wandering of the rotational "pole" (where the earth's rotational axis intersects the surface) rather than the magnetic pole.

Is there any concern that the earth’s poles might flip causing unbelievable catastrophe !

No - at least not yet ... The rotational (axis / axial) poles are known to wander a bit, but nowhere near as much as the magnetic poles.

Observing climate change from orbit.

NASA is about to announce its next generation of Earth-observing satellites.

As soon as this month, it will lay out preliminary plans for a multibillion-dollar set of missions that will launch later this decade. This “Earth system observatory,” as NASA calls it, will offer insights into two long-standing wild cards of climate change—clouds and aerosols—while providing new details about the temperatures and chemistry of the planet’s changing surface. The satellite fleets also mark a revival for NASA’s earth science, which has languished over the past decade compared with exploration of Mars and other planets.

Although officials have been planning the missions for several years, the Biden administration is accelerating them as part of its focus on addressing climate change. “Earth system science is poised to make an enormous difference in our ability to mitigate, adapt to, and plan for changes we’re seeing,” says Karen St. Germain, director of NASA’s earth science division. “The pace we’re going to have to do that is much higher in the decade in front of us than the decade behind us.” ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...will-offer-insights-wild-cards-climate-change

A report out states that Chinas greenhouse emissions top all other developed nations combined.

"China emits more greenhouse gas than the entire developed world combined, a new report has claimed.

The research by Rhodium Group says China emitted 27% of the world's greenhouse gases in 2019.

The US was the second-largest emitter at 11% while India was third with 6.6% of emissions, the think tank said.

Scientists warn that without an agreement between the US and China it will be hard to avert dangerous climate change."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57018837

Arctic Circle is already recording 118 F degree days (and summer is just heating up)

By Brandon Specktor - Senior Writer 2 days ago

Live Science

Land temperatures in Siberia exceeded 118 degrees Fahrenheit on the first day of summer.

On the summer solstice (June 20 — the longest day of the year) two European Union satellites recorded a scorching temperature of 118 degrees Fahrenheit (48 degrees Celsius ) on the ground in Arctic Siberia.

This isn't quite a new heat record; as a post on the EU's Copernicus satellite website noted, this egg-boiling temperature was detected only on the ground in Siberia's Sakha Republic, while the region's air temperature (the temperature people would actually feel while walking around) was a toasty 86 F (30 C).

However, that's still an anomalously high temperature for the Arctic Circle — and one that could exacerbate the region's melting permafrost, which is the only thing preventing ancient caches of greenhouse gases from reentering Earth's atmosphere, according to Gizmodo.

(...)

https://www.livescience.com/arctic-circle-siberia-hot-day-2021.html

Arctic Circle is already recording 118 F degree days (and summer is just heating up)

Live Science

Land temperatures in Siberia exceeded 118 degrees Fahrenheit on the first day of summer.

On the summer solstice (June 20 — the longest day of the year) two European Union satellites recorded a scorching temperature of 118 degrees Fahrenheit (48 degrees Celsius ) on the ground in Arctic Siberia.

This isn't quite a new heat record; as a post on the EU's Copernicus satellite website noted, this egg-boiling temperature was detected only on the ground in Siberia's Sakha Republic, while the region's air temperature (the temperature people would actually feel while walking around) was a toasty 86 F (30 C).

However, that's still an anomalously high temperature for the Arctic Circle — and one that could exacerbate the region's melting permafrost, which is the only thing preventing ancient caches of greenhouse gases from reentering Earth's atmosphere, according to Gizmodo.

(...)

Quite mindboggling!

I wanted to be assured of the facts...and just the facts, so I looked at the credibility of livescience and it seems legit...but is known to have a political bent.

Anyroad.

Then I went and checked the maximum local temperature on that date at Yakutsk - which was 86 degrees F (30 C).

Interesting.

Then the thought came - was this excessive temp taken in direct sunlight, rather than in the shade because a temperature of 47 C at a longitude of 62 Degrees North is...rather unbelievable.

The only other explanation that makes sense to me is, with the seasonal tilting of the Globe, coupled with the thinness of the atmosphere at that latitude...and maybe a few more variables that I have no idea about there is such a chance that the region of Sakha can experience a temperature that those at 32 degrees South experience maybe twice or three times a year.

To those at Yakutsk. G'day...keep them fluids up. Eh...

I wanted to be assured of the facts...and just the facts, so I looked at the credibility of livescience and it seems legit...but is known to have a political bent.
Personally, I remain cautious concerning the evidence for global warming and thus completely understand.

A prime reason is of course some of the past evidence has been shown to be either erroneous data, or at least questionable.

However, looks like we also share an alert about this report.

Shades of, 'The Day After Tomorrow', or, my Scottish video release, 'The Day Efter Ra Morra". :)

Live Science

(...)

Here is the Arctic Circle:

1532px-Arctic_circle.svg.png

It wouldn’t surprise me to find a temperature of 86⁰F somewhere in there, some time during a summer.

l presume that the satellites were looking somewhere else when the temperature in Siberia on 18.2.2013 dropped to “minus 71 degrees Celsius (-95.8 degrees Fahrenheit)!”

maximus otter

l presume that the satellites were looking somewhere else when the temperature in Siberia on 18.2.2013 dropped to “minus 71 degrees Celsius (-95.8 degrees Fahrenheit)!”
And there we go... :)

Point being that you are highlighting my personal disquiet about the entire premise.

'It's been the warmest/coldest since recorded in...1800/1900, whatever...'

So, there is a precedent way back then and without, 'global warming'?

Thoughts on this aspect... anyone?

And there we go... :)

Point being that you are highlighting my personal disquiet about the entire premise.

'It's been the warmest/coldest since recorded in...1800/1900, whatever...'

So, there is a precedent way back then and without, 'global warming'?

Thoughts on this aspect... anyone?
My thoughts are that these temperature variations are 'normal'. They've happened before and they'll happen again.
They're simply being reported as if they are extraordinary and then picked up by someone with an axe to grind, agenda to promote, etc.

My thoughts are that these temperature variations are 'normal'. They've happened before and they'll happen again.
They're simply being reported as if they are extraordinary and then picked up by someone with an axe to grind, agenda to promote, etc.
It reminds me of when there is a rail of aircraft disaster, for the next few months the news and papers are full of 'near miss' stories, after a couple of months that subject is no longer an attention grabber so they cease, until the next disaster when they suddeny make the news again.

The thing is, the northern polar regions are in sunlight for a good deal of the year with a long period in which the sun never sets and a long period in which the sun never rises, as are the southern polar regions, due to the tilt of the earths axis, but mostly people live in more temperate regions which encounter varying periods of day and night. Because of this, most people are accustomed to this being the norm.
The cold, ice-covered areas at the poles have not always been that way - there is evidence to support forested areas having existed at both in the long distant past, so there is no reason it couldn't happen again.

Back