• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What would be the point of having a particular song to play, especially since no-one seems to be able to remember it?

Why wouldn’t it be easier for the bar staff just to shout, “Bomb threat, everybody out!”, rather than depending on the apparently very fallible memories and hearing of a hundred randomly-selected punters?

maximus otter

There's a (somewhat racist) UL that Arab taxi drivers in New York knew to avoid the Financial district on the morning of 9/11, because of messages in Arabic over the taxi radio. This smacks of the same thing, like a fear of another ethnic group having secret signals.

From the number of times I heard a call for 'Inspector Sands' over the London Underground PA in the 80's and 90's, there must have been smoke/fire twice a week.
I did notice when a repeated call for 'an ISS Cleaner to Platform 3 to clear up a pool of VOMIT' morphed into a call for 'an ISS Cleaner needed for a code 4'.

There's a (somewhat racist) UL that Arab taxi drivers in New York knew to avoid the Financial district on the morning of 9/11, because of messages in Arabic over the taxi radio. This smacks of the same thing, like a fear of another ethnic group having secret signals.

Yup, sounds like the stories of a person who's done a minor favour for some ethnic minority person being warned in return to stay away from X area on a certain day.

Later the person who's been warned is shocked when there's a bomb or other attack in that area on the day.

Morrison's supermarket pa code is:

"Can Mr Black come to customer services please" (we have an aggressive male customer)
"Can Mrs Black come to customer services please" (we have an aggressive female customer_
"Can Mr White come to customer services please" (we have a male shoplifter)
"Can Mrs White come to customer services please" (we have a female shoplifter)

The store I've just started in has a more simple "We have a code 1309" that seems to cover anything althpug hit sounds a bit too theatrical to me, I told the store manager the Morrison's method and she seemed a bit more impressed. I've clocked two shoplifters so far there, the first one before I was working there (on my interview day to be exact) and the next on on my second day there although he was very crafty how he went about it so I pretended not to notice .. the cheeky sod got me to help him load the stuff into his car! :rollingw: .. I didn't have the heart to get him arrested because it was bird food for his back garden plus I'm only in this store for two months.

A friend of mine worked as a lifeguard at a swimming pool when he was a student and apparently if they saw someone acting suspiciously, leering at the kids etc.. the code over the PA system was “Father Green to (location)”. I was baffled when he was telling me this until he said it again in French.

A friend of mine worked as a lifeguard at a swimming pool when he was a student and apparently if they saw someone acting suspiciously, leering at the kids etc.. the code over the PA system was “Father Green to (location)”. I was baffled when he was telling me this until he said it again in French.

:rollingw:

Strange coincidence this Saturday. I'd not heard of this 'evacuation song' malarkey till reading this thread.

I went for a Christmas lunch and a drink and we heard a bloke say "up the IRA".

My friend said "If he leaves, we leave".

I suggested he might be quoting a character in one particular 80's film.

My friend then said; "What's he putting on the jujebox?"

I've heard of this UL many years ago, but for the sake of me cant remember which song it was supposed to be, im inclined to say an Elvis song but i suppose any of his songs would be too popular.......

I've heard of this UL many years ago, but for the sake of me cant remember which song it was supposed to be, im inclined to say an Elvis song but i suppose any of his songs would be too popular.......
Link would help mate!

Havent got a link C Numb........... someone had mentioned the UL to me & the `song` but for the life of me cant remember what song it was

Havent got a link C Numb........... someone ha:Dd mentioned the UL to me & the `song` but for the life of me cant remember what song it was
Last Saturday... the Rangers v Celtic game then...

Yeah, that places it in perspective!

OK... just a reminiscence...

Maryhill, Glasgow, upbringing... lamentably, there's still that religious devide.

Would have been around 18 at the time and we somehow ended up in a generic pub which was predominantly filled with Celtic supporters after a game.

Jukebox had an old selection of songs, including, 'A Scottish Soldier', by Andy Stewart.

Not exactly one that would go down well in assembled company... to say the proverbial least...

Someone amongst us paid to play it one the jukebox, nonstop for the next half hour...

Just before we left.. :deny::jugg:

My local Rock Night used to play The Wanker Song by Ivor Biggun at kicking out time.
My old boozer, call for last orders - until this very moment (cheers for that!), did not appreciate there is apparently a Fleetwood Mac cover...

PA system on Baker Street Met Line 8:00am Monday : " Oh Gawwwd .............. Oh Godddddd ............................(sing-song) Oh Gaaaaaarrrd ................... Oh Go-oddd ........... (drop an octave) Oh Gawwwwd .......... form 5 for the All-stations to Aldgate train."

ROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAO

Heard a very cryptic announcement on the PA at Aylesbury Station as I was leaving this evening:

'Security to the gantry (foot bridge ?) Security to the gantry,
And bring the rottweillers, bring the rottweilers.'

An Irish friend of mine took us all to see some forgettable band in an Irish pub in Camden.
At half time, a guy came around with a bucket for collections for ‘The Cause’. I thought he meant ‘The Corrs’, so I gave him a quid to be polite.
I couldn’t understand why such a successful band needed to be funded by a whip round in local pubs.

I've been asked ever so politely to leave a pub in the Republic "as there are fellers in later for a meeting who won't take kindly to you, no offense, you're welcome any time, this last pints on the house".

This is exactly the experience I had about six years ago!

I don't even know the name of the village because we were passing through on a road-trip, but it was likely somewhere in County Tipperary.

An Irish friend of mine took us all to see some forgettable band in an Irish pub in Camden.
At half time, a guy came around with a bucket for collections for ‘The Cause’. I thought he meant ‘The Corrs’, so I gave him a quid to be polite.
I couldn’t understand why such a successful band needed to be funded by a whip round in local pubs.

Following the outrage in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings (2013), an English correspondent wryly observed that the last time he'd been in Boston in the late 80's, there was a guy with a bucket in most of the Irish bars collecting for 'The Ol' Country' or 'The Cause'.

Following the outrage in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings (2013), an English correspondent wryly observed that the last time he'd been in Boston in the late 80's, there was a guy with a bucket in most of the Irish bars collecting for 'The Ol' Country' or 'The Cause'.
Back when I was in the US (1990's) my ex-pat mate and I used to go to Irish festivals for the Guinness. Collections for 'The Cause' were regular. They didn't bother me too much, although I do recall at one event when the anti-English sentiment was getting too strong my mate and I grabbed the mike and sung 'On Ilkley Moor ba tat' to the general confusion of the audience.

I deeply regret the situation that developed between Ireland and England originally festered by that prig Cromwell, but I'm not personally responsible, especially since probably none of my great grandparents were English.

Back when I was in the US (1990's) my ex-pat mate and I used to go to Irish festivals for the Guinness. Collections for 'The Cause' were regular. They didn't bother me too much, although I do recall at one event when the anti-English sentiment was getting too strong my mate and I grabbed the mike and sung 'On Ilkley Moor ba tat' to the general confusion of the audience.

I deeply regret the situation that developed between Ireland and England originally festered by that prig Cromwell, but I'm not personally responsible, especially since probably none of my great grandparents were English.
I expect there are probably a few Irish zealots who claim they remember Cromwell.

I'll add that apart from that one odd experience in the middle of nowhere, everywhere else in Tipperary was very welcoming indeed.

I'm not an upper-class twit or anything, but I do sound pretty unmistakably English, yet my nights out in the pub were long and drunken, and I got on really well with the local people.

Zero anti-English sentiment, not even any banter in that direction.

The fact that I was wearing a Thin Lizzy t-shirt one night hadn't actually occurred to me until one guy at the bar told me that I must be alright as a result of wearing it.

I expect there are probably a few Irish zealots who claim they remember Cromwell.
But then my Dad reckoned we were directly (albeit illegitimately) descended from The Young Pretender.

Or more specifically the Duchess of Albany.

Hence our surname (which means 'illegitimate' in a certain language). I am highly entertained by this. I only wish I could believe it. Maybe I should take Ancestry's DNA test.

Back