• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

I have quite often gone into my local shop 10 mins before closing but I'm in and out in a minute or so, usually grabbing bread and or milk for the morning. I just quickly get what I want and scarper. People dithering are being inconsiderate and those being demanding are being wankers.
I'm guilty of doing the same thing .. the 10 minutes before closing thing at stores .. but when you're instead making cooked fresh food (I don't work in a takeaway but 'we' do offer that option now because of covid and I'm always on my own every night), I have to correctly store all the food, label it correctly, wash up, cash up, etc etc etc ... for someone working in a convenience store? .. it's an extra 10 to 15 minutes inconvenience .. for me, it's an extra hour unpaid to do the job properly ..

I've always had a different approach from men. For some reason they think that I ought to be absolutely GAGGING for it, yet too old and desperate to be fussy. I wish I knew what it was about me that gave them this impression. Due to menopause issues I'm celibate and asexual these days, yet they behave as though I'm just busting to throw them over the counter and give them endless kinky sex.

I'd rather have a cup of tea and a nice slab of cake, to be honest.
When younger I was constantly hit on, often quite crudely, by men. I'd even get them after me when heavily pregnant.

I may have come across as a bit simple because I didn't go in for the glamorous look. They thought they could take advantage.

I've always had a different approach from men. For some reason they think that I ought to be absolutely GAGGING for it, yet too old and desperate to be fussy. I wish I knew what it was about me that gave them this impression. Due to menopause issues I'm celibate and asexual these days, yet they behave as though I'm just busting to throw them over the counter and give them endless kinky sex.

I'd rather have a cup of tea and a nice slab of cake, to be honest.
Here's some cake, care to join me?
images-53.jpeg

Sorry Amergin but unless you've ever had to work in the service industry, the 'last minute heroes' (who happen almost every night) aka 'Indiana Jones' from that bit when he grabs his hat back at the last second are a complete:

PAIN
IN
THE
F******G
ARSE
Some people had such a sense of entitlement at the (posh) shop where I worked, that we got people knocking on the door after the shutters were down (and we were still there cleaning up). Innocently I opened the door once thinking it was actually someone legitimate. Unbelievable. It wasn't like they wanted to buy life-saving medicine, just something for their stupid 'supper'. You're a patient man, Swifty. They might not be 'people who feel wrong' but they've certainly got a bit missing from their brain.

Some people had such a sense of entitlement at the (posh) shop where I worked, that we got people knocking on the door after the shutters were down (and we were still there cleaning up). Innocently I opened the door once thinking it was actually someone legitimate. Unbelievable. It wasn't like they wanted to buy life-saving medicine, just something for their stupid 'supper'. You're a patient man, Swifty. They might not be 'people who feel wrong' but they've certainly got a bit missing from their brain.
I once had a local council worker walk up to me .. I was wearing jeans and a T Shirt so blatantly I was on a day off work plus this happened in a local mini supermarket so I wasn't even at work to ask me if I could book her a table for next Friday night. I was the manager of that restaurant so it was "Erm .. yes?" so I phoned the owner and he booked her in. Piss take.

I've taught 'my' trainees "The second we're officially closed? .. lock the front door." so I know where you're coming from .. some people treat opening times as some kind of vague suggestion.

Last edited:
I once had a local council worker walk up to me .. I was wearing jeans and a T Shirt so blatantly I was on a day off work plus this happened in a local mini supermarket so I wasn't even at work to ask me if I could book her a table for next Friday night. I was the manager of that restaurant so it was "Erm .. yes?" so I phoned the owner and he booked her in. Piss take.
Many years ago, when i worked in a pet supermatket, we hat to wear polo shirts with the shop name embroidered on the front, and a big advert for a well known pet food emblazoned on the back, along with name tags with the shop name in bold letters, it always used to make me laugh when people would approach me and ask 'excuse me do you work here?', as if i would wear the shirts if i didnt :oops:

Many years ago, when i worked in a pet supermatket, we hat to wear polo shirts with the shop name embroidered on the front, and a big advert for a well known pet food emblazoned on the back, along with name tags with the shop name in bold letters, it always used to make me laugh when people would approach me and ask 'excuse me do you work here?', as if i would wear the shirts if i didnt :oops:
The Mrs works at a place where the owners have agreed to a woman opening a mini business on their grounds which is essentially a shed. I'm not joking. It's a shed but they've known this woman for years and she's an attractive blonde etc ...

The very first time I met her, a few of us were sat in the front office when she walked past, noticed we were all sharing a pack of biscuits a member of staff had bought and said something like "Oooh .. I've had a customer just turn up and it'd be great to give him those biscuits!" ... then she just walked in and took them without even asking?. I was too stunned to complain.

Now she has my Mrs field her phone calls even though my Mrs doesn't even work for her? .. I can't believe the cheek .. the Mrs has just told me she's had to field a complaint about this woman's business with shed woman saying "Well did you say/do this?" .. I badly want the Mrs to say "You do realise I don't work for you don't you? .. are you going to start paying me after the last two years because your name isn't mentioned anywhere in my contract?" ..

Our cigarette shutters have to be locked shut every night, and they are a complete and utter pain. It takes me a good few minutes to get them properly shut and fastened. So, of course, as the shop shuts at ten, I start closing them up at three minutes TO ten, because I'm not doing it in unpaid time. And, almost without exception, someone will burst through the doors to demand a packet of Benson Blue the absolute second I've finally got the bastard lock to engage - which will be about thirty seconds to closing.

We open at seven a m. You've had all evening. What the hell makes you decide five minutes before the supermarket closes, that you desperately need another pack of fags? And once the locks are engaged, I cannot open the shutters. It's physically impossible. So then I get The Face, you know the one, the 'I am the CUSTOMER and therefore I am ALWAYS RIGHT and why are you closing up when the sign outside says you shut at ten and it's only thirty seconds to?'

It's like they don't see us as human. We are mere service bots who don't need to worry about getting off on time to get home to whatever disaster we need to get home to face. Or, as Swifty says, a social life. Or even food. It's a long shift on the tills of an evening, and we're hungry and tired and bored and our feet hurt. Please don't be That Person...

Years ago, a recruitment agency opened in Glasgow and gave out dark green tshirts with their logo on to any passers-by to promote the place. It was just a small logo on the breast saying "Kelly Services".

Anyway, I had to dig the communal garden in front where my family lived (punishment for a lapse in judgement brought on by excessive drinking) and a guy walked past, saw me digging, looked at the free tshirt I had put on for the task and asked how much "my firm" charged to do tbe same with his garden.

I quoted him a very competitive price (actually the first figure that came to mind) and done it the next day, got paid cash in hand. So, the employment agency kind of indirectly got me some work.

The Mrs works at a place where the owners have agreed to a woman opening a mini business on their grounds which is essentially a shed. I'm not joking. It's a shed but they've known this woman for years and she's an attractive blonde etc ...

The very first time I met her, a few of us were sat in the front office when she walked past, noticed we were all sharing a pack of biscuits a member of staff had bought and said something like "Oooh .. I've had a customer just turn up and it'd be great to give him those biscuits!" ... then she just walked in and took them without even asking?. I was too stunned to complain.

Now she has my Mrs field her phone calls even though my Mrs doesn't even work for her? .. I can't believe the cheek .. the Mrs has just told me she's had to field a complaint about this woman's business with shed woman saying "Well did you say/do this?" .. I badly want the Mrs to say "You do realise I don't work for you don't you? .. are you going to start paying me after the last two years because your name isn't mentioned anywhere in my contract?" ..

Sounds like Lucy Punch's character in Motherland.

Mate of mine would pop to Asda (supermarket) on way home from work in his black and green work uniform. He was regularly accosted by customers who thought he worked there.

Being a man, he couldn't admit he didn't know EVERYTHING so would abandon his trolley to show them where to find the meat paste. :chuckle:

Mate of mine would pop to Asda (supermarket) on way home from work in his black and green work uniform. He was regularly accosted by customers who thought he worked there.

Being a man, he couldn't admit he didn't know EVERYTHING so would abandon his trolley to show them where to find the meat paste. :chuckle:
When I first left school I worked in a bank and we all wore uniforms.
At lunchtime I would often go browsing in one of the big department stores and one day this rather posh couple came up and asked where something was.
I replied that I thought it was on the next floor and when the woman haughtily said that I should know where it was I informed her that I actually didn't work there.
I think they just see a uniform.

When I first left school I worked in a bank and we all wore uniforms.
At lunchtime I would often go browsing in one of the big department stores and one day this rather posh couple came up and asked where something was.
I replied that I thought it was on the next floor and when the woman haughtily said that I should know where it was I informed her that I actually didn't work there.
Exactly the same used to happen to me and my friends, only it was in Boots. We'd go for a wander through the make up department in our lunch break and get accosted at least once a week. Our school dresses were a sort of blue pattern, so I suppose it was near enough to the Boots colours, and we were upper school, so old enough at least to have a weekend job. But we always smiled politely and said we didn't work there, because if we were rude it would get back to our Headmistress faster than we could get back to school.

Conversely, on my days off when I worked in health care people would sometimes greet me with a smile and then look puzzled, or just stare at my gorgeous face.

They were recognising just t'fizzog because I wasn't in uniform. I'd say 'Haha, you don't recognise me with my clothes on!' and they'd remember where they knew me from.

I used to have a purple shirt that was very similar to the ones worn by the staff at PC World. If people were nice and assumed I was a member of staff I'd tell them I wasn't but if they were rude there was someone who worked there that I really disliked so I kept myself amused by being rude to the nasty customers and when they demanded my name so they could complain about me I'd give them his.

A few years ago I worked as a contractor in a couple of hospitals. Once we had a job in the blood clinic and as we started work at 7.30am we had a pass key to get into the unit. When we arrived there were several people in the waiting room , even though the clinic didn't open until 9.30am. As I unlocked the swing door a man jumped up from his chair and tried to follow me through. I explained that there was no one in there to see him but he totally ignored me and tried to pull the door open to get in - in the end I had to physically pull the door from his grasp and lock it after me!

Another time in A&E there were some other contractors repairing the big electric doors on one of the exits and they had put big yellow barriers in two or three layers across whilst they removed one of the doors, with no entry signs on the barriers etc. I saw several people while I was there asking if the exit was still open and one lady actually tried to zig zag the barriers to exit....

Another time in A&E there were some other contractors repairing the big electric doors on one of the exits and they had put big yellow barriers in two or three layers across whilst they removed one of the doors, with no entry signs on the barriers etc. I saw several people while I was there asking if the exit was still open and one lady actually tried to zig zag the barriers to exit....

I wonder how many people have fallen off cliffs/ledges/drops, or down holes, or been electrocuted or run over etc after ignoring various signs.

Shitloads, I'd warrant.

A few years ago I worked as a contractor in a couple of hospitals. Once we had a job in the blood clinic and as we started work at 7.30am we had a pass key to get into the unit. When we arrived there were several people in the waiting room , even though the clinic didn't open until 9.30am. As I unlocked the swing door a man jumped up from his chair and tried to follow me through. I explained that there was no one in there to see him but he totally ignored me and tried to pull the door open to get in - in the end I had to physically pull the door from his grasp and lock it after me!

We're still not allowed to not let customers use the customer toilet room because of covid restrictions but we all (staff)occasionally bend the rules (the elderly, pregnant, mental health customers, little children, that sort of thing .....) .... I often get people who aren't customers assume we're a public convivence, come in, not even ask then bounce off the locked door. It's always locked because my manager's switched on enough to have done that. I had a bloke storm in the other day, give me a nasty look then storm back out again. If he hadn't been such an arsehole? ... I'd have done what I've been doing for nearly a year and told him about the alleyway ... no CCTV, no windows and no doors so they can have a quick undetected piss .. not so easy for women to do though but the general public's toiletry habits are not my focus when I'm making food.

I imagine women are more in tune with vibes like that
Why? Survival instinct.

Yup, we were chatting with another cyclist couple a while ago and I just took agin' the woman. No mystery, she was one of those who talk to a man in front of his partner as if he's on his own. You know the sort.
Some women are super competitive and want to monopolize male attention. They try to ignore other women into some sort of oblivion. I haven't encountered this often, but such behavior can be really weird and awkward, and some men are made very uncomfortable by it.

Shed Woman seems like a complete nightmare. Luckily, people like this can only bluff their way through life so far before people start calling them out and it all comes crashing down around them, leaving them wondering ‘Why me?’
I thought you were going to say, "Luckily, people like this can only bluff their way through life so far before people start calling them—Shed Woman!

Shed Woman seems like a complete nightmare. Luckily, people like this can only bluff their way through life so far before people start calling them out and it all comes crashing down around them, leaving them wondering ‘Why me?’
Applies to men as well. A huge world has recently come crashing down on someone who I am indirectly connected with. Bluffed his way over the years in a very well paid job but now found out by the relevant authorities (nothing illegal), who of course he is blaming for his inadequacies. Potentially huge repercussions for the innocent, but the guy refuses to accept it's all self inflicted.

Some women are super competitive and want to monopolize male attention. They try to ignore other women into some sort of oblivion. I haven't encountered this often, but such behavior can be really weird and awkward, and some men are made very uncomfortable by it.

It's pretty uncommon but this reminds me of women who say 'I get along better with men than women'. In such cases I often find that it's not just a general preference, but rather that they view all women as 'bitchy' and don't even attempt to befriend other women... I've come to realise they often just want to be admired by men!

Different, but this reminds me of a female colleague I worked with who said she didn't like working for female managers as she found them to be moody (without exception)... Personally I'd never had any particular, consistent issues with female managers. All the managers I'd had (male or female) had their positives, negatives and random quirks, so I didn't really get it and assumed it was sexism to be honest.

I was quite amused when her next manager (who was male) turned out to be a bit of a nightmare because he was, you guessed it, unpredictably moody and you never knew where you stood with him.

Some women just talk to the male of a couple as if his partner isn't there. They'll even turn so they're only facing him and can cut the woman out of the conversation. It's done so subtly the man doesn't notice and if his partner objects she looks a bit fussy or paranoid.
I've seen this done in front of the offending woman's own partner.

If a man did this to a woman, i.e. conversed with a woman in front of her male partner and ignored him, there'd be a punch on the nose.

Back