• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Handmaid's Tale back on Channel 4 last night. Elisabeth Moss only cried for about ten minutes of the episode, they're slipping. Not sure about the murders every week, are we supposed to be chilled that terrible treatment twists innocents into murderers, or supposed to be cheering them on when they off a bad guy? Not what Atwood's book was about.

Watched the first episode of French sci-fi series Missions tonight.

A disfunctional crew of French astronauts on a rather unconvincing spacecraft are about to land on Mars, when they pick up a video broadcast from an American crew that just beat them to Mars but subsequently disappeared, warning of something horrible awaiting them.

Didn't have much feeling of realism about any of it, but it just about intrigued me enough to watch the next episode.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b3964c

A disfunctional crew of French astronauts on a rather unconvincing spacecraft are about to land on Mars, when they pick up a video broadcast from an American crew that just beat them to Mars but subsequently disappeared, warning of something horrible awaiting them.

Didn't have much feeling of realism about any of it, but it just about intrigued me enough to watch the next episode.

I've watched 2 episodes and it's ok. An interesting mystery.

I've watched 2 episodes and it's ok. An interesting mystery.

Cool - will try the next episode tonight.

Given that this is supposed to be set only a few years hence, the lack of realism surrounding the spaceship did annoy me a bit.
Let's face it, out of the necessity of bringing your own air and propelling a substantial mass over huge distances, spacecraft are designed to be as compact and minimalist as possible. The Ulysses 1 felt more like we were walking around a Premier Inn. And the only locations where there would be a semblance of gravity would be at the extremities of the rotating portion - not the entire ship. The absence of camaraderie across the crew, who seem to be afflicted with a disproportional number of hang-ups, just felt wrong too.

Still, any series set on everyone's second favourite planet deserves to be given a try and, at just 25 minute bite-sized chunks, it's not that painful to invest in.
I'll report back.

Watched 4 episodes now and yes, despite the obvious budgetary constraints and lack of believability, I'm sufficiently intrigued to stay the course and see where they go with this. Hope it doesn't get too political though, as there are hints of French=good, American corporation=evil.
Wonder why what is basically a feature-length movie (take away the recap and titles and you get no more than 20 minutes per episode) has been split into 10 little chunks.

Last edited:
Wonder why what is basically a feature-length movie (take away the recap and titles and you get no more than 20 minutes per episode) has been split into 10 little chunks.

I can only give ze gallic shrug.

gallic_shrug.jpg

The Forever Purge: A direct sequel to The Purge: Election Year, it's 2049, the NFFA have regained power on a rising tide of nativism and anti-immigrant feeling. They reintroduce The Purge and seemingly the usual violence ensues, street people murdered, anyone out a target. But this year it's different - an organisation calling itself the Purge Purification Force (PPF) targets anyone it regards as Non-American, torturing and killing them in trucks. The next day The Purge continues, a TV reporter is shot dead as he talks about it being over. Disparate groups carry on The Purge but those central to The Forever Purge are the PPF who initiate pogrom across the U.S.; the NFFA have lost control of the monster they summoned up. Canada and Mexico open their borders to U.S. refugees for six hours. The film follows a group as they make their way to the Mexican Border.

Some savage scenes of violence and horror - even a humane killer is used as a deadly weapon. Bows, crossbows, firearms and axes coe into play as the blood flows freely and the body parts fly apart. Realistic urban and desert battle scenes, especially the hand to hand fighting. The buggies and motorbikes used by the Purgers add a Mad Max touch to the proceedings. Naturally satire and social commentary add a subtext to TP:EY but the film also works as an action thriller as the group attempt to reach the border before it is closed. Directed Everardo Valerio Gout from a screenplay by James DeMonaco. 7/10.

In cinemas.

Throw away? I don’t understand. In fact this has reminded me the VHS came with a beautiful book, I shall have to get this out.
OK, give away or sell. Or keep as a quaint reminder, a keepsake of the ancient and distant past.

Disney is about to give Marvel fans a lot of multi-universe stories and films.

The new Spider-Man film coming will feature several Dr. Ocks from different realities.

The new Dr. Strange move is called multi-universe madness.

I have a headache !

Disney who usually keeps sales information to themselves boasted about how well their movie Black Widow did this past week which increased their Disney online subscriptions world wide.

Just watched the 10th (and final?) episode.
Nope. Just didn't do it for me.
A thoroughly unconvincing French spacecraft (although the boo-hiss baddie American one was more plausible), clichéd dialogue, the big reveal being pinched from Quatermass, a hefty dose of 2001-influenced woo-factor and a seriously short-changing ending just wasn't enough to salvage this.
- unless there is a second series to give us a better explanation.
The surface of Mars was well realised though!

Just watched the 10th (and final?) episode.
Nope. Just didn't do it for me.
A thoroughly unconvincing French spacecraft (although the boo-hiss baddie American one was more plausible), clichéd dialogue, the big reveal being pinched from Quatermass, a hefty dose of 2001-influenced woo-factor and a seriously short-changing ending just wasn't enough to salvage this.
- unless there is a second series to give us a better explanation.
The surface of Mars was well realised though!

I haven't finished S1 yet but there is a second series. The French landing craft appears to have Tardisesque qualities.

By accident I ran across a Netflix series called Katla.

It is based on the Icelandic folklore of “ changlings “ or shadow people who come out of the lava pits of volcanos.

Exact copies of real people try to take over the area.

The show moves slow, but I seem to come back to kept watching this program.

By accident I ran across a Netflix series called Katla.

It is based on the Icelandic folklore of “ changlings “ or shadow people who come out of the lava pits of volcanos.

Exact copies of real people try to take over the area.

The show moves slow, but I seem to come back to kept watching this program.

Yes, it's a grower alright.

Back