• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Airmans corner, near Stonehenge has a memorial to an early fatal crash, 1912, I think?
Here's a brief summary ...
Airman's Corner (also known as Airman's Cross) is a roundabout junction that takes its name from the early pioneers of flight who used the area as makeshift runways. ...

However, as part of the Stonehenge area restoration project, the junction was replaced with the roundabout we see today. ...

Previously, a memorial to two pilots who were killed in a plane crash nearby during 1912 was sited on the junction, giving it the names we know today. The flat, open land made the area ideal for military flight training.

The inscription reads 'To the memory of Captain Loraine and Staff-Sergeant Wilson who whilst flying on duty, met with a fatal accident near this spot on July 5th 1912. Erected by their comrades'. However, with the changes to the junction, the memorial was relocated to the entrance to the visitor centre.
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Airmans_Corner

I'd love to know what he says!
(Re: Andrew Green's book!)
The only tidbit I've ever found is the following small quote ...
Andrew Green investigated the story for his book, Our Haunted Kingdom (1973) and relates one particularly fascinating incident:

“During the height of the investigation, a BBC woman interviewer from the Nationwide programme decided she would stay the night in the ‘haunted court’ with a tape recorder and was, at her request, locked in. She described later the intense feeling of cold, the sounds of banging doors opening and closing and the peculiar fact that the recorder stopped without any reason at 12.30. It was only when she returned to the studio that she was able to get the machine going again. No fault was found with it. The hotel was demolished later in 1972 leaving the mystery of the haunted squash court so far unanswered.”
SOURCE: https://archive.org/stream/CreepyStories/MammothBookOfTrueHauntings_djvu.txt
(No page numbers cited)

The bit about the BBC is right but I'm not so sure about the "hotel" bit. The site was then run by the Construction Industry Training Board, and though they had rooms for guests and trainees I'm not sure any of it can be described as a "hotel."

I'd love to know what he says!

(Re: Andrew Green's book!)
Here you are :) I don't know if it will tell you anything you don't know already, and actually only makes me think of more questions!

"A case which created a lot of interest early in 1972, through being mentioned on Jack de Manio's radio programme over a three-week period, was that at this desolate aerodrome on the north coast of Norfolk.
It was originally constructed in 1914 and left derelict between the wars only to be re-opened for 'active service' in 1939 when the RAF, Australian and Canadian forces were stationed there. Some years after the end of hostilities the Officers' Mess was converted into a hotel for use by executives and guests of a construction company which had taken over the site. Part of the building was allocated to an industrial film company for their use as a studio whilst producing a film on the company's activities. Some distance away, behind the hotel, is a single building converted into a squash court with two playing areas. Itis one of these that is haunted.
The first indication of a manifestation was during one evening when a player glanced up at the gallery overlooking the courts and saw a man in RAF uniform gazing down at them. Puzzled he stopped his companion and they both watched the 'pilot' walk along the gallery to the doorway at the end and disappear.
Because of the conviction that they had seen a ghost, the couple arranged for a magnetic tape recorder to be left in the affected court overnight. They had, it seems, intended to stay with the machine, but were too scared at hearing loud footsteps walking along the gallery in the empty building and left. It was pointed out at the time that only one key exists to the building, which was locked after setting the machine going.
Literally thousands of radio listeners have heard the resultant noises that were recorded in the empty building. Sounds similar to those of a busy workshop, a metal bucket being placed on the floor, a loud saw-like buzzing sound, numerous metallic clangs and a peculiar 'pinging' sound. Highlight of the recording, however, is the sound of a woman's voice saying two words, but because of the background noise they are indistinguishable - they could be 'watch out' or even 'stop it'. Another puzzling aspect is the drone of an aeroplane clearly heard, yet no aircraft were flying anywhere in the locality that night.
Determined to find out more of the ghost, a medium, John Sutton, was called in and a seance arranged. In the meantime a letter from a radio listener had been received stating that the ghost was of a man named 'Wiley' who had committed suicide in the Officers' Mess during the war.
The medium, on entering the court, began to sob and told of a plane - 'an Anson, that caught fire and crashed on to a local church killing three men.'
Local residents who had stayed in the hotel told of bedclothes and curtains being thrown around, water taps being turned on and off, feeling 'taps' on their shoulders and on a couple of occasions a man in RAF uniform was seen to walk through the wall of the old billiard room.
During the height of the investigations a BBC woman interviewer from the Nationwide programme decided she would stay the night in the 'haunted court' with a tape recorder and was, at her request, locked in. She described later the intense feeling of cold, the sounds of banging doors opening and closing and the peculiar fact that the recorder stopped without any reason at 12.30. It was only when she had returned to the studio that she was able to get the machine working again. No fault was found with it.
The hotel was demolished later in 1972 leaving the mystery of the haunted squash court so far unanswered."

There's a hell of a lot of confusion about when the BBC recordings and broadcast were made.
The session with the two mediums, probably just before December 17th 1971 was said to be for BBC TV, but Green says it was for de Manio's radio show. A source says that a reporter for de Manio turned up later the same day as the TV team but missed them and didn't know they had been there. We're the different sessions confused?

Then the initial de Manio show, that caused pets to go bonkers was said to be in the morning. But his show went out mid afternoon. He did co host the BBC4 breakfast show until August 1971 but then left, but continued to present the Saturday morning version afterwards.

I've asked various experts in TV and radio archival matters and they can't help as the existing record is too poor. They said that if it was Nationwide, it has a very poor survival statistic for this period. It's been said that the BBC written archives in Reading may have the info but this might entail a long trawl through PaB (programme as broadcast) sheets and other documentation.
Two problems - the paper trail may not longer exist
And:
The written archives centre have moved their access goalposts. If you're researching a commissioned piece they'll let you in. Otherwise no chance. It's a far cry from my last visit nearly 20 years ago.

Maybe picking gnatshit out of pepper? but it's the lack of coherence in the bircham Newton stories that infuriate me!

It's been said that the BBC written archives in Reading may have the info but this might entail a long trawl through PaB (programme as broadcast) sheets and other documentation.
To complicate things further, as you'll know, the records can be wrong for various reasons. For example, while the easily-accessible online Radio 1960s Times listings show what should've been on, the schedule could be changed after important events like the Kennedy assassinations to cover news instead.

That's true, which is why I double check. I don't know if the BBC genome covers schedule changes but other sources would (like TV brain?)
I think there would be an amended PaB in the files as this includes exact transmission times.
Funny you should mention JFK. That's the reason for my last and only trip. One of the files I wanted (c 1979 Panorama about the new investigation) was absent and I was told it had probably been taken home by one of the researchers. I think I can guess who it was, too...

I just looked this up in, 'Military Ghosts' by Alan C. Wood (2009). He doesn't give a source but says that the construction training centre was used for making training films and it was a film-crew member who saw a ghost in the squash court and decided to leave a tape recorder running overnight where it captured sounds from the old airfield but it doesn't say if this recording is the same one that was broadcast.

RAF Davidstow moor in Cornwall is supposed to have a few spooks, both in the derelict buildings and control tower and in the former officers mess area which is now a museum. One supposed ghostly chap called Eric who from all accounts is a miserable sod who hates visitors, spectral silent WW2 era planes flying about and polt activity.
I’ve also been told a tale about a black shuck type spectral dog (if I ever visit Davidstow again at night I’ll remember to take a few gravy bone biscuits along with me just in case)

video I took in the derelict control tower…

I'm writing up Bircham for my book on West Norfolk ghosts. So far, I've got up to the 1977 tape and done 9 pages - and there's more to come. A fair amount is a discussion on what the psychics said and trying to get some corroboration.

Last edited:
Around 10 years ago, I was driving to a boarding kennel to collect my dog after a weekend away. It was out in the country a little and I was driving along a lane which more or less follows a largely wooded valley when a smallish silvery grey biplane came down the valley towards me and flew directly over the car. It was loud and only just above the height of the trees either side of the lane, so probably well under 100 feet. It was quite a surprise to see it that low and that loud and must have been pretty risky for the pilot too I would have thought! I remember at the time it didn't feel 'right' somehow but that was probably just the surprise at seeing it. I wonder if it may have been one of those acrobatic aircraft practicing but, if so it would have been pretty irresponsible as it wasn't out in the wilds but on the outskirts of a town with a number of house either side of the lane.

Google Maps shows weird "ghost plane" at site of 1979 crash.

The aircraft, missing the starboard wing and forward part of the fuselage, appears at Des Plaines Illinois where, in 1979, American Airlines Flight 191 crashed shortly after take-off in this field, killing all 273 on board.

2_Screen-Shot-2021-05-21-at-132416.jpg

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/google-maps-shows-eerie-ghost-24158345

The aircraft, missing the starboard wing and forward part of the fuselage, appears at Des Plaines Illinois where, in 1979, American Airlines Flight 191 crashed shortly after take-off in this field, killing all 273 on board.

View attachment 50061

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/google-maps-shows-eerie-ghost-24158345

The spirits need to sort out their GPS: The “ghost aircraft” is almost exactly 400 yards NNE of the actual site of the tragedy, which was at 42°0′35″N, 87°55′45″W

American-Airlines-Flight-191-crash-Fortean.jpg

maximus otter

Last edited:

View attachment 50061

I think the satellite snapped a plane flying on its official flight path. Part of the plane is missing either because the satellite's camera shutter did not move fast enough to cover the whole plane, or it is an artifact of photo stitching (i.e. joining together of pictures taken some time apart).

That sort of thing was very common in the early days of Google Maps. The software has improved greatly. The images at "10,000 feet or below" are actually aerial photos taken from planes. Some interesting things showed up, like planes at a lower altitude and on a roughly parallel flight path to the camera would show up in multiple images, appearing to be a string of identical planes at consistent intervals after the images were stitched together.

As of fifteen or so years ago, the process of getting all those aerials was quite interesting. GPS guided planes carrying Zeiss cameras would fly grid patterns at 10,000 feet, automatically controlled to within a few feet of the intended path. The cameras used very large film, which was processed and then scanned to provide the digital images to be joined together into the more or less seamless wonder we enjoy. Early on, there were some bizarre artifacts involving perspective, technical glitches, and so on. It's all very smooth and free of rough edges now, for the most part.

View attachment 50061

Most likely a glitch on google earth where images are joined together.

Flight attendant recalls encounter with ‘ghost passenger’ whose body was being transported in hold

A flight attendant has freaked out social media followers with a story of how one cabin crew member reportedly spoke to the spirit of a dead woman - whose body she later found out was being transported in the plane’s cargo hold.

Former Emirates cabin crew member Sandra Kwon, 38, tells the story of a fellow flight attendant who was chatting to the wife of a sleeping passenger on a night flight - only to find out later that the man’s wife had passed away the previous week.

AATJmoM.img

In the video, Kwon as the flight attendant chats to a friendly woman sitting next to her sleeping husband, saying she is cold and asking the flight attendant for a blanket.

She also asks the staffer for a green tea with milk and sugar for her husband, for when he wakes up.

When Kwon as the flight attendant goes back to the galley to chat to a colleague, they say that the sleeping man is travelling alone.

When the crew member brings the man - now awake - his green tea, he tells her that his wife passed away the previous week.

Not only that, but he reveals that her body is being transported home in the cargo hold of the same flight.

In the video, Kwon suggests her (living) customer was completely accepting of the incident, given that his “wife’s spirit” had asked for his tea just how he likes it.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle...body-was-being-transported-in-hold/ar-AATJwCE

maximus otter

This happens all the time and going back to the 1972 the ghost of Eastern Flight 401.

As the crew worried with a stuck wheel, they let the plane crash into the swamps of Florida but the soft ground actually save 75 people.

The ghosts of Captain Bob Loft and engineer Don Repo begin appearing on other Eastern Flights.

The ghosts faded out two years later.

Son Jay Repo reported on his wedding night he found a pair of Eastern Airlines Wings in his hotel room.

Years ago my older daughter thought for a few seconds that her passed away mother-in-law was standing in line with my daughter’s family at Walt Disney World Florida but the aberration faded quickly.

Back