• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Bigfoot?

None whatsoever. Most of our countryside is farmland, unsuited to large wildlife. Lots of our forests ate pine plantations that are ecologically poor. The mountain forests of The Himalayas or the jungles of Indonesia could hide such creatures but they are not to be found romping about just outside of Newcastle or Ipswich.
Have you ever BEEN to Newcastle? One doesn't 'romp', one tiptoes...

I disagree about there not being space for things to hide in the UK,
Having spent a good few hours flying round at low'ish level it is surprising
how much green and water there is, there after all said to be over 2 million
deer about in England and how often do you see them.

The thing is they are only as real as you want them to be, to me they are the same as ABC and UFO's a mirage or perhaps an interloper from another dimension but not physically real because we just don't have the environment to support them (or big cats) and if they were real there would have been a lot more sightings

I don't know about England, but in Scotland deer walk along the street and eat plants out of gardens.

I don't know about England, but in Scotland deer walk along the street and eat plants out of gardens.

A good horror film would be when the Plants walk along the street and eat Scottish Deer.

I'm saddened that Triffids don't get a look-in these days. Or even get in Look-Magazine even. Even though lala Look-In isn't a thing anymore.

This is Kid Jensen, isn't it?

there after all said to be over 2 million

Very often, to be honest.

how much green and water there

Look at the Olympic National Park in Washington...big Sasquatch area...it's basically a million acres of wilderness. That is basically the same size as Essex. For comparison, Dartmoor is about 86'000 acres. I've just had a look at the size of my local woodland...probably roughly the same size as many other common woodlands - it's 239 acres.

Last edited:
I see deer all over the place, and have friends constantly complaining about them eating their roses. Just about every time I go out for a walk, I will see at least one deer.

Were I live we have miles of fields moved here about 35 years back up to then i
had never seen one even though I spent a lot of my time in the countryside,
Since being here I have seen 6 or 7 but I don't call that a lot, and I do keep my eyes open
for anything unusual, over the years we have had more reports of Big Cats than deer.
I still think there's enough land about to give us a surprise or 2 in the UK

Were I live we have miles of fields moved here about 35 years back up to then i
had never seen one even though I spent a lot of my time in the countryside,

That's odd. I don't even live in a particularly "deery" area but I see lots. Particularly now, sadly, lying dead by the roadside. I think maybe they don't like you mate :p

I still think there's enough land about to give us a surprise or 2 in the UK

I would agree with that. Just not 10 feet tall hairy apemen.

Last edited:
I see quite a few but more in winter, around/just before dusk. Saw 5 or 6 in different fields, only the other week...

Dead uns with fair regularity and the occasional (live) one running across the road. See more deer than badgers. I never get close enough to get a decent photo, though. (To the living ones obvs I don't want to photograph the dead ones).

I though there would be plenty of them in Norfolk.
My youngest son was born with a hairy back. (We're not from Norfolk but I do descend on mum's side from a lot of inbred farmers...). Son's back was so hairy the drs did tests on him to see if he had some syndrome or other. He didn't. Concluded he was just a very hairy baby. (he's part Italian which I think explains it). His brother still laughs at him for being the hairy backed baby/missing link.

ETA: Better add here, he's no longer got a hairy back...

Last edited:
Re deer, I see them in the scrubland on the back road between Redruth and Truro, one of the narrowest parts of mainland Britain (you can see both the North and South coast from any decent hill). Used to see many more when I lived in South Devon.

I've just starting reading Deborah Hatswell's two books on this subject with the very long titles (essentially people in the UK who witness ape men, werewolves and such like). They are available on Kindle. Don't be put off by her somewhat random use of grammar as she has got out there and done the research. In fact, by getting involved many witnesses have come forward who would otherwise have remained silent, much like the Cannock Chase witnesses once the likes of Nick Redfren got involved.

There are inevitably some dubious reports that come across a wistful thinking (noises in the night, for example) but there are a great many of those that are just the witness driving home a t night or walking the dog and they witness something inexplicable. I have had Google maps at the ready to narrow down their locations (usually on the edge of villages, towns and even cities, but then that's where most of us live I suppose).

Do I believe? For me, it's not flesh and blood, no. But there is strong evidence for something paranormal. I find it curious that as the reports of UFO occupants have withered away* we are now presented with alien black cats, werewolves/dog men and huge hairy hominids.

*in the decades between 1950 and 1980, UK humanoid encounters in association with UFOs are many and varied e.g. the Welsh flap of the 70s. We simply don't get these reports anymore, but it does seem whatever IT is has evolved/altered its appearance.

Used to call at a pub out in the middle of nowhere, at the time it was only locals, now likely changed,
anyway they put up with us as the wife didn't mind acting as sheep bouncer and we were unfazed
by having to ford the stream that ran across the bar floor if it was raining.
It was worth calling as they did a hotpot that was well up to the name, how they got it so hot without
it bursting into flames I will never know.
Anyway one day I happened to look in the back room, there were about 6 local farm lads playing billiards,
they all looked the same, well over 6ft don't think any of them could stand straight without hitting the ceiling,
hairy as a bear and looked like there was at least 25% bovine in the mix, could only wonder at the breeding
practices that went on out there, stopped me dead in my tracks that's for sure.
This is over 40 years back So I would not be surprised if a breeding colony of what peeps are reporting as big foot or
what it as metamorphosed into are alive and well out there, so avoid the moor when the forces of darkness
are exalted, you never know what or who you may meet.

:omr: :reyes:

Made me think of the John Gregg Clovelly family:

http://horrabridgetimes.net/index.php/2018/11/15/cannibals-on-the-moor-rumour/

"Some time prior to 1700, the north Devon coast around Clovelly was terrorised by the family of John Gregg. It is believed that over a thousand people were attacked, murdered and cannibalised by the family, who lived in a large cave system and reportedly never set foot in the town. This reign of terror lasted for twenty-five years, during which time their numbers increased – mainly as a result of incest. They developed a fearful reputation as zombies as well as cannibals, perhaps because many of them suffered from physical and mental issues."

Many attribute this legend to smugglers spreading misinformation to scare locals away from their nefarious activities

Jon Downes of the CFZ tells a fascinating tale of a hair-covered man in the grounds of Powderham Castle, South Devon.

The following is a quote from a Nick Redfern article for Mysterious Universe:

"Let’s take a look at the data relating to this odd phenomenon. I’ll begin with Powerdham Castle in the county of Devon. As is noted at the Historic Data website: “It was built by Sir Philip Courtenay in the 14th century and, despite many alterations and additions to adapt the Castle to changing times, Philip and his many descendants would undoubtedly still recognize it today.” In the early 1980s, Jon Downes – who runs the Center for Fortean Zoology – investigated a story that stretched back to the Second World War. It involved a hair-covered man who seen roaming around the woods surrounding the old castle. Jon came to the conclusion that, after all of his investigations, the mysterious figure was actually someone with hypertrichosis. It a condition that causes excess amounts of hair to grow on the face and body. Nevertheless, it didn’t stop a distasteful story circulating that there was a “monster” on the loose"

Source: https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2020/04/monsters-lurking-in-and-around-ancient-castles/

Just remembered another Powderham Castle estate tale from Jon Downes' excellent book 'Monster Hunter'. The gist of it is as follows (buy the book...!).

Happened back in the late 70s or early 80s at a time when one could afford to sit in the local pub all day at the weekend. Indeed, it was a social norm in the UK at that time (no satellite tv and internet) and which has diminished over the years as alcohol prices have risen, wages stagnated and irregular working hours becoming the norm. Now people increasingly drink cheaper take-out alcohol at home in front of the widescreen tv or in their gardens with a bbq.

On the Sunday lunchtime in question Downes was ensconced in his Starcross local when one of the locals burst in, breathless and wide-eyed. After gathering his breath he announced that he had seen a giant rabbit as he cut through Powderham woods on his to the pub, a rabbit as big as a human child...! Well, this being different times Downes and some fellow pub goers pilled into a car and head for the woods. Following a poacher's trail they did indeed find the giant, child-sized rabbit -------

------ or rather a living, breathing wallaby in those Devon, UK woods...! Unimpressed with the attention, the wallaby legged it and they were left to muse over where it had escaped from.

How I wish I was there that Sunday lunchtime and makes me pine for rather simpler times (or maybe its just me getting old).

Go on, buy the book:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Mons...287279?ref=grid-view&qid=1626705258555&sr=1-1

:)

Made me think of the John Gregg Clovelly family:

http://horrabridgetimes.net/index.php/2018/11/15/cannibals-on-the-moor-rumour/

"Some time prior to 1700, the north Devon coast around Clovelly was terrorised by the family of John Gregg. It is believed that over a thousand people were attacked, murdered and cannibalised by the family, who lived in a large cave system and reportedly never set foot in the town. This reign of terror lasted for twenty-five years, during which time their numbers increased – mainly as a result of incest. They developed a fearful reputation as zombies as well as cannibals, perhaps because many of them suffered from physical and mental issues."

Many attribute this legend to smugglers spreading misinformation to scare locals away from their nefarious activities
The mention of zombies seems anachronistic.

Back